Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't order much stuff on Amazon normally, but when I tried to place an order yesterday, I was told that it was going to charge me $3.99 for shipping (I don't have Prime, btw). Is this a recent thing? I could have sworn they had free shipping before (the only issue is that it might take longer for it to arrive).

It's not a recent thing. IIRC it's normally only going to ship for free if you have Prime or a cart worth $35, and vendors who don't have their products served by Amazon set their own, separate shipping cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Liquid Communism posted:

They cut their door greeters as well.

It's like they -want- shoplifting.

I just walk by them saying no thanks anyway as they gesticulate wildly not understanding why someone wouldn't want to wait in a line a exit the store after spending a few hundred dollars.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a recent thing. IIRC it's normally only going to ship for free if you have Prime or a cart worth $35, and vendors who don't have their products served by Amazon set their own, separate shipping cost

Ah okay. Well that sucks, but at least I'm not getting as swindled as I thought.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Invalid Validation posted:

They tried doing the app purchase thing at my Walmart and while it was great for getting in and out they stopped it within 2 months because of all the theft it created. Between theft and dumb/old people that can’t figure the machines out I can’t imagine it lasting very long.

Here's a fun anecdote for you: an acquaintance is a manager at a nearby Target, and they actually doubled their number of self check-outs because the lines had gotten out of control. Not because people were slow, but because people would literally ignore manned registers with nobody in line to queue up at the self check-out instead. The Lowe's near me no longer keeps more than a single register manned at any given time as a matter of store policy.

People in D&D have been proclaiming the death of self check-outs for a decade. They aren't going anywhere. And, like essentially all other forms of automation, they aren't about replacing so much as augmenting. The point isn't that you get rid of cashiers, it's that a single cashier can now man four or more check-outs at once.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 5, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you're actually confident with a self check out and its security settings aren't ridiculous, it's likely to be much faster than a manual checkout, not to mention you can do the bagging yourself.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't order much stuff on Amazon normally, but when I tried to place an order yesterday, I was told that it was going to charge me $3.99 for shipping (I don't have Prime, btw). Is this a recent thing? I could have sworn they had free shipping before (the only issue is that it might take longer for it to arrive).
IIRC there's always been some sort of minimum order amount to get free shipping for non-Prime users/orders, it's changed somewhat over the years though.

The other possibility is that you just ordered from a third party, not Amazon itself.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Paradoxish posted:

Here's a fun anecdote for you: an acquaintance is a manager at a nearby Target, and they actually doubled their number of self check-outs because the lines had gotten out of control. Not because people were slow, but because people would literally ignore manned registers with nobody in line to queue up at the self check-out instead. The Lowe's near me no longer keeps more than a single register manned at any given time as a matter of store policy.

People in D&D have been proclaiming the death of self check-outs for a decade. They aren't going anywhere. And, like essentially all other forms of automation, they aren't about replacing so much as augmenting. The point isn't that you get rid of cashiers, it's that a single cashier can now man four or more check-outs at once.

I think a lot of it is just where you live. The Lowes near me put in self-checkout and the lines disappeared. A few months later they took all the self-checkouts out and now it's back to 5 minutes in line every time I go there.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
A big thing with the shift toward large amount of self-checkout is that almost every store doing it is pairing it with adjustments to speed up the average case, especially relaxation or even elimination of the scale checks, but also UI tweaks and misc things to reduce the amount of human intervention required, and switching to image-based scanners that pick up barcodes more easily.

The theft issue might be overblown anyway, it's probably not a function of the number of self-checkout machines so there's not much reason to not scale it up once they're in-store at all, and anyone that wants to steal poo poo has to think that they're less likely to get caught cheating the self-checkout machine than just walking out the door.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured the theft issues and security settings were entirely because of store owners being paranoid and assuming people would try to cheat the self check outs at every opportunity.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If the total annual theft is less than the annual pay of the eliminated cashiers...I guess it’s still profit?

:capitalism:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Home Depot near me changed their self checkout and the registers. Now it's a big touch screen with a gun for both of them, and I've walked up to regular registers without a cashier thinking they were self checkout. HD has always had pretty relaxed scales, so I didn't have too much of an issue there. You still need cashiers because you occasionally have custom length things that a cashier needs to verify and input, but most of my HD shopping is like three things, and the self-checkout is super quick.

Grocery stores are the worst though for self checkout. When you have a lot of produce, the cashiers that know the numbers by heart are way faster than the lookup method at self checkout.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd be more willing to use self-checkout if I didn't need a human anyways, because their machines throw a poo poo-fit if I want to use a reusable bag.
Bags which they themselves loving sell.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you're actually confident with a self check out and its security settings aren't ridiculous, it's likely to be much faster than a manual checkout, not to mention you can do the bagging yourself.

Why would I want to "do the bagging [myself]?" Do people actually care that much about their groceries being bagged a certain way?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why would I want to "do the bagging [myself]?" Do people actually care that much about their groceries being bagged a certain way?

This thread is just so bizarre for a non-american to read. People are being totally aghast about having to bag their own groceries and not be greeted when they arrive at a store.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I bag my own groceries just to speed things up and the cashiers are often immensely grateful and almost always thank for bagging. While they're sling things across the scanner I just toss it into the bag, usually heavy things at bottom and lighter things at top, sometimes frozen/cold stuff in a seperate bag to keep em a bit cooler. If there's already a bagger standing by, I'll usually just let em know I can take care of it and they can help someone else out who might not be physically capable or whatever and if they're cool with doing it, whatever. It speeds things up a lot.

Nothing is worse than sitting there staring at your iphone twiddling your thumbs while the cashier is wasting time bagging all your poo poo. I'd much rather be active and make everyone's lives, including my own, easier. I'd say it's more a uniquely american thing to expect everyone to cater to your every whim, and I don't like that one bit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Confidence will make you better at doing something than someone who does it for a living.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i do, because i use canvas bags and have to walk a ways from my car to my front door (and sometimes i walk to the grocery store) so it's easier for me to play grocery tetris and pack the bags completely full, instead of having a few dozen plastic bags with three things each in them

when i use a manned checkout station i also put my groceries on the belt starting with heavy/boxy things and ending with lighter, crushable things :11tea:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I think a lot of it is just where you live. The Lowes near me put in self-checkout and the lines disappeared. A few months later they took all the self-checkouts out and now it's back to 5 minutes in line every time I go there.

I love self checkout when I'm just buying a couple things I can easily scan myself. I hate when I'm buying wood and inevitably need to wait for twenty minutes in the single available manned line.

Edit:

luxury handset posted:

when i use a manned checkout station i also put my groceries on the belt starting with heavy/boxy things and ending with lighter, crushable things :11tea:
I used to do this, but now my 2yo helps by grabbing the groceries and throwing them in the general direction of the belt in no particular order. :3:

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 5, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you just hand them the bags they will fill them though? Are they refusing to use your canvas bags?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

If you just hand them the bags they will fill them though? Are they refusing to use your canvas bags?

not nearly as efficiently as i do, i pack those bastards full

baggers are generally more focused on throughput and getting customers through the line quicker than trying to make effective use of bag space, which is something i care about more since it reduces how many trips i need to take or bags i need to deal with once i leave the store

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Depending on the grocery store, it's expected; you have a conveyor up to the cashier, then another 2 leading away where you bag yourself.
(NoFrills, Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, Fresh Co., etc.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My IKEA put in self checkouts and holy hell they couldn't pull them out fast enough.

You think a grocery store is bad try imagining someone to scan box 3 of 4 of a giant bedroom set by themselves.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It makes me feel like an entitled baby when someone bags for me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
You get your bread crushed ones.

Only once.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Reusable bags only should be the law as plastic grocery bags are an ecological nightmare, admittedly among many, but one thing I don't like about the US is that service people are expected to be cheerful, both by customers and supervisors. I also hate how American employees are expected to stand up for jobs for which there is no need to stand, but that's another story. I've lived in a fair few other countries, and I appreciate that people there doing miserable, low-paying, joy-destroying menial jobs are miserable... they should be. I would consider it a sign of grave mental illness for someone who does something awful hours and hours on end to be cheerful, but insisting that your wage slaves act that way is just adding insult onto the injury of the injustice of wage labour itself. You may be able to force someone to do Something AwfulTM under thread of taking away their meagre income, but it shouldn't be allowed to force them to give two fucks or even pretend to do so.

David Mitchell sums up how I feel very concisely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

I used to do this, but now my 2yo helps by grabbing the groceries and throwing them in the general direction of the belt in no particular order. :3:

I remember when I did this as a kid standing in the trolley, my mum taught me to get out the heavy stuff first.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bird in a Blender posted:

When you have a lot of produce, the cashiers that know the numbers by heart are way faster than the lookup method at self checkout.
Yeah but that's partly being taken care of by one of the increasingly-adopted UI tweaks: Going straight to name lookup instead of PLU.

luxury handset posted:

it's easier for me to play grocery tetris and pack the bags completely full, instead of having a few dozen plastic bags with three things each in them
I think some stores (Wal-Mart in particular) have guidelines for how many items are supposed to go in a bag, which are way too low, plus scenarios that automatically split bags (i.e. refrigerated vs. non-refrigerated).

Plus they bag everything, including single-item purchases, items that are already in bags (bread, produce), and items with carrying handles.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The whole experience of American customer service is intensely creepy and embarrassing to my Eurotrash perceptions, from the fake smiles to the constantly returning waitstaff, from 'door greeters' to even just the way people speak. It is deeply bizarre and alienating and I can't help but wonder in horror what it does to people's mental health, or the mental health of society as a whole.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm possibly spoiled because I live a block from my grocery store and I go every day and get three things at a time over six consecutive trips.

They follow the classic model of hiring local teens to work exclusively as baggers and whatever ancillary tasks that job does. But the cool thing is that about 20% of them end up working the register as they get older and it seems decent.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hungry posted:

The whole experience of American customer service is intensely creepy and embarrassing to my Eurotrash perceptions, from the fake smiles to the constantly returning waitstaff, from 'door greeters' to even just the way people speak. It is deeply bizarre and alienating and I can't help but wonder in horror what it does to people's mental health, or the mental health of society as a whole.

It's part of the system that keeps the poor in line so they can be exploited, being told they should be happy, and act happy (and therefore it's their fault somehow they hate the miserable soul-crushing job they have) and that work has "dignity" even when it's to be a thoughtless service cog in a machine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I must be the exception, because when I worked retail and food service jobs I really cared about those 'fake' personal interactions with people. Anything to remind me that I'm human and that the person on the other side sees me as one too. Tons of people treated me like a vending machine and I hated it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I've found living in the same community as the clerks makes a big diffence. People on both sides get to know each other when you see each other all the time.

Regarding taking to the customers. My father was instructed by a new manager to "spend less time taking to the customers" total sales fell about 25% the next month. Same manager asked "Why did sales fall?" "I did what you told me to do." "Well go back to what you were doing."

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
There's probably a happy medium between The Stepford Clerk and being a bitter husk who hates customers regardless of interactions. I noticed employees in the UK weren't necessarily outgoing but they weren't jerks offended you were using up their time, so I don't think the "US employees are overly cheerful" thing is entirely business practices.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It spoils people too. It makes very entitled people. I work with federal safety net programs and people constantly think they should be treated like the are a Walmart customer and bend over backwards trying to help them do very basic things. When the customer is always right a lot of people treat retail workers like slaves. I feel the same way about our tipping culture, it’s pretty gross all around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think pleasant, natural human interactions are totally fine, having been on both sides of the counter. But I find the (typically Boomer) mentality of "if the clerk isn't attending to my every need and sucking me off the whole time and appearing thankful for my business, I'm not getting great customer service" to be extremely off-putting. And of course that problem is exacerbated by having labor constantly slashed to make budget so you've got 3 people to perform the job of 6 and of course side work is never getting done because that needy customer just showed up and will take the next 45 minutes of your life.

No no, I don't have PTSD or anything.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
A fair bit of it is what I think is often called "punching down", by which I mean that people want to feel superior to others - no surprise there. However, this also happens with people who work in soul-crushing service jobs when they are the customer. They hate their lives and jobs and, so long as they can, they want to be the one making other people miserable. It's the same appalling human impulse that causes people to vote against their self-interest and do things like oppose increases to public services and higher wages if those changes would help left up both them, but also various groups that they don't like.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hungry posted:

People in other countries do things differently! It must be a sign of mental illness!

Meanwhile, good luck getting an Italian to bring you your check in a prompt manner.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

It spoils people too. It makes very entitled people. I work with federal safety net programs and people constantly think they should be treated like the are a Walmart customer and bend over backwards trying to help them do very basic things. When the customer is always right a lot of people treat retail workers like slaves. I feel the same way about our tipping culture, it’s pretty gross all around.

wait, you are saying the poor are too entitled because they want to be treated as well as ....walmart treats them? What?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
having worked in restaurants for a decade i think some people are just complete pricks regardless of their motivations or income level. some do it because they're walking around pissed off, constantly. some people like to power trip on others. some people compulsively run low level scams and use emotional pressure to roll them along. there's lots of reasons. however, like 90% of people are reasonable and good and they might have bad cranky days sometimes but most of the time they're willing to play by social rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

wait, you are saying the poor are too entitled because they want to be treated as well as ....walmart treats them? What?

Walmart will go out of their way to give customers what they want and it’s what is expected. When a client doesn’t fill out a simple form that has been explained multiple times then they will get super angry and think they can yell at you for it, unlike Walmart we do not have to put up with it.

Being poor doesn’t give you the right to be a dick to people who are helping you. I’m poor and can handle not yelling at someone making my Subway sandwich.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 6, 2019