Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

sitcom bathysphere posted:

These all make a lot of sense.
My main problem with the live TLPs is the “revamped” look some of the old zones, like Freeport. My nostalgia...n-no...
:negative:

Yeah the new Freeport blows chunks. I like the new oasis (unlimited croc spawns, it’s basically oasis and sro) and misty thicket. Lavastorm is just weird, neriak is better but still a bad zone imo, and innothule swamp is still the worst zone in classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

New Freeport is hot garbage and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. I noticed this again running through Crescent Reach messing around on Vox yesterday while I wait for Mangler to drop. All of the "new style" EQ design after PoP or so, where they tried to make stuff look more.. realistic, I guess? It all just looks so bland and soulless compared to the charm of original Everquest.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea all the revamped zones look really really bad. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I do prefer the condensed commonlands, though.

Prathun posted:

Coming in the March update:
The spawn in Karnor's Castle that has a chance to be a drolvarg pawbuster no longer shares an encounter with a drolvarg warlord. The remaining spawns in the room have a slightly higher chance of being a drolvarg warlord.

:neckbeard:

Republicans fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 5, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Man, I am seriously considering trying out the Selo TLP when it goes live. I started playing live back in middle school but eventually moved to WoW. I also played on an emulated EQ server for a while called Shards of Dalaya (think the original creator was a goon). Would be fun starting over, but I don't have the time or a real desire to grind week after week to keep up with the expansion releases. Like someone else mentioned though, having people to play with is really what makes the game. Anyone else thinking about playing, but more casually?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Anyone else thinking about playing, but more casually?

Ehhh I dunno if selo is for you if you are chilling out casually honestly.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Tai posted:

Ehhh I dunno if selo is for you if you are chilling out casually honestly.

Oh, did they make rules changes to each server after the initial announcement? I could have sworn there were some things I absolutely hated about Mangler that made me feel like the only way I would have fun is on Selo's.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Selos is the super fast 4 week unlock server. It's anything but casual in appearance. Mangler will be the chill server now. They ditched all that hardcore bullshit on it and turned it into a slightly faster TLP.

Slightly.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Oh, did they make rules changes to each server after the initial announcement? I could have sworn there were some things I absolutely hated about Mangler that made me feel like the only way I would have fun is on Selo's.

1 month per xpac means you're gonna be hauling rear end to keep up, and with double the lockout speed you'll be raiding 2x as much. thank god it starts in luclin because i can only think of the hell that would be farming a VT key while leveling and AAing, to only be in VT for a week before you get all the poo poo required done... increased XP rates are nice though ;)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MrSargent posted:

The slow exp and large death penalty is gone. The exp is the same as ragefire/lockjaw/agnar. Basically nearly double the exp of phinny.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Tai posted:

The slow exp and large death penalty is gone. The exp is the same as ragefire/lockjaw/agnar. Basically nearly double the exp of phinny.
Better than Agnarr*

Which was already fairly livable

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

iNteg posted:

1 month per xpac means you're gonna be hauling rear end to keep up, and with double the lockout speed you'll be raiding 2x as much. thank god it starts in luclin because i can only think of the hell that would be farming a VT key while leveling and AAing, to only be in VT for a week before you get all the poo poo required done... increased XP rates are nice though ;)

Doesn't look like I can join my guild to go all out for launch so I'll probably miss the VT key grind. I'm so sad (not really). Flip side though is that hopefully the increased rare spawns mean that places like ME will be easier. FG will still suck dick though.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

A dev recently confirmed that Selo's xp rate will never surpass the standard live rate. That's disappointing but the server will probably have flamed out hard by the time it matters

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for clarifying guys, Mangler looks like it would definitely be the better option for me since they removed some of the awful stuff. Anyone else planning on checking out Mangler, or are most people going to Selo's?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm starting on selos then maybe making a character on mangler once it gets closer to kunark.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Bring back Sleeper/Combine xp rates

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Thanks for clarifying guys, Mangler looks like it would definitely be the better option for me since they removed some of the awful stuff. Anyone else planning on checking out Mangler, or are most people going to Selo's?
I'll be there. I've prejoined <Midnight Rations> guild, which is a bunch of Fourth Meal guys from Agnarr

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Gray Matter posted:

I'll be there. I've prejoined <Midnight Rations> guild, which is a bunch of Fourth Meal guys from Agnarr

Fourth Meal were a good group, and I’m assuming from their name PST times are still their thing.

I’ll probably end up applying to them as well if they’re still open / don’t have huge raid attendance asks. Really just want to casually level and farm alt gear, minor raiding but not working a schedule around it again.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Yeah, 9-12 PST is the plan, here's their post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mangler/comments/avp8gi/midnight_rations_late_night_pst_guild/

Sounds like they intend to keep it relatively casual. I was in Faceless on Agnarr and have zero interest in waking up to batphones and making GBS threads in socks again.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Since it was just changed in the last patch and most people coming back for TLP won't see it, they've officially removed the XP bonus for halflings and warriors/rogues.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Would be fun to join a guild and have some people to group with but I feel like my pace is going to be a good deal slower than the average person. Convinced my wife to play with me even though I told her it is nothing like Diablo 3, haha. I was going to recommend that she try a Magician since she likes caster dps and it seems like a better class to start with than a Wizard.

Having a hard time deciding what class I should play, though. Would be nice to have something that paired well with a mage, but I would really like to play something other than a healer. I've mained a Cleric, Shaman, and Druid at different points and would like to try something different. I quit live around PoP and don't know much about how the classes have changed so any recommendations would be great!

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Yeah anyone have advice on great two person combo? My wife and I are gonna play on mangler as well. She's not as into it but says she'll give it a try.

I originally was a cleric from kunark to pop. Then last year played bard and mage for a while on live for fun.

I guess tank healer is the obvious combo. But anyone got any specific suggestions?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Enchanter+Cleric, Enchanter+Druid, Cleric/Druid+Necro are pretty solid.

e: That means charm shenanigans I guess.

Shaman+Monk is a classic.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Time for my every few years start on a new progression server and play for a while til everyone flames out I guess. Going to be rolling on Mangler as a Erudite Wizard.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
So from the guys who've done the new TLP thing before. Is krono good for anything early on? Like are people buying and selling krono? Can you get gear or something worth anything with krono in the early game?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Doctor Party posted:

So from the guys who've done the new TLP thing before. Is krono good for anything early on? Like are people buying and selling krono? Can you get gear or something worth anything with krono in the early game?

Absolutely but expect to pay something like 4 krono for an FBSS.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Doctor Party posted:

Yeah anyone have advice on great two person combo? My wife and I are gonna play on mangler as well. She's not as into it but says she'll give it a try.

I originally was a cleric from kunark to pop. Then last year played bard and mage for a while on live for fun.

I guess tank healer is the obvious combo. But anyone got any specific suggestions?

Enc/clr, Ench/shm, Shm/mnk and personal favorite shm/sk

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On test they've added tabs to the chat windows now - looks good.

And for some reason they've made the already easy monk epic a bit easier. Quite when they've done that and ignored the ones that are almost constantly blocked like the Enchanter epic I have no idea.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah the krono game is usually pretty wild on fresh server. Super cheap platwise, and good items move for quite a few Kroners. I think jboot loot rights usually settle at 1 krono which maybe you can use to Guage other prices.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If anyone is thinking about sticking around longer than PoP, stay away from Mages, Wizards and Necros. Enchanter charm also takes a hit post GoD also. Enchanters are just tash/cripple bots on raids minus buffing. DPS casters just go in the trash can from GoD onwards due to lovely scaling off gear and the fact melee have that auto granted AA that increased there damage so scales with weapons.

Druids are pretty meh for a long time. The only thing useful about a Druid is they can PL well.

Shamans are meh in classic. Once you get torpor it feels a lot better and PoP the new torpor is very good.

Paladins are solid but require more work than the other tanks for threat.

Warriors are probably the most gear dependant to generate threat but easier to get beefy due to AA, innate stats, discs etc

SK are solid and stay solid for a long time. Huge threat generation and scales really well with gear and AA's etc. Damage output is respectable and can do some big damage bursts with discs/AA's

For Mangler people, Rogues are also garbage for a few expansions but get better later on and can pump out some good damage.

Zerkers are pretty solid DPS and can top parses. They also get a nice group crit buff too but they aren't unlocked till GoD which is over a year away on Mangler.

Monks are solid and can top parses. Nice utility too. Don't have to worry about weapons in classic while leveling but you'll need some magic gloves by the time you hit places like unrest. Don't pull unless you need to split mobs. Get a bard or a caster to pull since you'll likely being doing most of the groups DPS in a fast paced group.

Bards are just awesome all the time. Recent changes to melody have made them a lot more user friendly. Every group loves a bard too.

Good duo combos

Enc/Cleric - poo poo after GoD but easy to get groups
Enc/Shaman - poo poo after GoD but easy to get groups
SK/Shaman - Awesome awesome awesome. You'll make so much money in PoP
Mage/Mage - poo poo after PoP but really good till then
Monk/Shaman - Very good combo. Not quite as good as SK/Shm for going after beefier targets but you general killing, it is faster.
Cleric/Tank - Never worry about finding groups. I would recommend Cleric/SK unless you want to be a warrior and raid tank.
SK or Monk/Bard - Lazy combo for people who want to dual box but do minimal work on their second box but is still pretty good combo with AE slow, damage shields, over haste and attk bonus.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Necros and Wizards are solid for a long time and can actually do stuff in raids. Necros also have a lot of utility that most people don't notice or tend to think about.

Wizards are super good DPS on raids and ports are highly valued until PoP. On Coirnav you could make several thousand plat a day just porting people.

Druids are okay for the same reason but suffer from not being great at any of their roles after a while. Still, useful for ports, PLing, and charming animals in some eras (Kunark). Eventually you get a Complete Heal and can heal group content and most guilds won't have many Druids so, free loot.

I'd say classes to avoid are Warrior unless you really want to tank raid mobs and have time/resources to gear it out and Paladins just because SKs are better. On Coirnav and Agnarr, Shaman weren't very common, so enjoy being the only buffer in a raid when the low-DPS rogues are begging you for agility buffs.

I'm rolling an Enchanter just because they're hilariously broken in group content but I'll probably get bored and quit after a few raids. Casting two debuffs and keeping single-target Clarity on 40 people while being a lovely wizard isn't very fun.

suuma fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 6, 2019

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I forgot Beastlords.

Beastlords are self sufficient and can level up solo while LFG. Some nice utility to them such as slows, a ghetto heal and pet heal. Their pets can tank okish but not as good as a mage. You'll get bored of looking for a mage for summoned armour and/or buying it off the bazaar. Fero is nice as is that mana regen buff. Forgot the name. In terms of damage they are pretty meh. More of a jack of all trades, good at none. Nice to have a couple on raids for their buffs is about all really.

I glossed over casters cos lol casters but I'll paint them in a good light now.

Wizards are great DPS in classic, velious, luclin and PoP. They go through a rough spot in Kunark. Your rains will be you best source of DPS on raids and your 2 quick casting nukes for group work. On single targets, your rains pulse three times and they do three crit checks. You can use 2 rains in PoP. Can be used in groups assuming nothing is messed around you. Once luclin hits and you get a mount and AA, you can use you flux staff to round up mobs in Rathe mountains and AE everything. Great source of cash. Ports too and wanted for AE groups. I cannot state enough how dumpster they go from GoD onwards. Funny thing is, your aggro increases due to spells resisting way more often. This is another reason why caster DPS crashes.

Mages are a nice class to solo with while LFG. Pretty good damage and pets add a nice amount of consistent damage to groups even if you are OOM. Mod rods are nice and you can summon gear for your pet. MoTM though makes their aggro pretty wild if you try to push DPS on raid bosses. Mages also make VT muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch faster due to CoTH. Dumpster tier DPS from GoD till much later for said reasons in the wizard bit.

Necros require a lot of button mashing on raids to make their DPS fairly good. They've been due a DoT revamp for a long time but DBG is poo poo. Necros have a charm which makes them fairly effective in undead zones like Guk, MM and unrest for example. But the charm will break more often due to lack of tash. They can solo pretty well too. Dumpster tier DPS in GoD while still having to put a lot of work in. They aren't even that good in PoP on raids.

Enchanters are the kings till GoD. Charm is OP as gently caress. You can make great cash casting the various forms of clarity. You'll never struggle getting a group and your class is a big factor on it being average or sucking in wild exp. Decent enchanters often solo if they are well geared (and use heal pots) or run with a cleric to CH their mob or spot heal them on charm breaks. They are dull as poo poo on raids. You are just a buff/debuff bot.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for all the info, that helps quite a bit. Are there any guides for starting out in Classic? Its been so long, I forget the good grouping spots or quests that I should start early.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
1-5 = starter area
5-15 = Crushbone, Blackburrow, Befallen, Upper Guk, Freeport Sewers
15-25 = Unrest, Highpass Keep, Upper Guk
25-35= Mistmore, Permafrost, Upper/Lower Guk, Cazic Thule (30+), Solusek A, Runneye
35-45 = Solusek B, Lower Guk, The Hole (40+), Ocean of Tears
45-50 = The Hole, Ocean of Tears (needs enchanter to charm), Solusek B (Efreeti area), Lower Guk (King or Ghoul Lord in a VERY good group that can chain pull with high DPS, good puller etc. Experience isn't great so needs high volume of mobs),

Tai fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tai posted:

Don't have to worry about weapons in classic while leveling but you'll need some magic gloves by the time you hit places like unrest.

Monk fists on progression servers start at a whopping 3/38 so you're gonna want to get a couple cheap staves ASAP until your fist ratio can get better. Fortunately it doesn't take too long to outclass most available weapons.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Tai posted:

1-5 = starter area
5-15 = Crushbone, Blackburrow, Befallen, Upper Guk, Freeport Sewers
15-25 = Unrest, Highpass Keep, Upper Guk
25-35= Mistmore, Permafrost, Upper/Lower Guk, Cazic Thule (30+), Solusek A, Runneye
35-45 = Solusek B, Lower Guk, The Hole (40+), Ocean of Tears
45-50 = The Hole, Ocean of Tears (needs enchanter to charm), Solusek B (Efreeti area), Lower Guk (King or Ghoul Lord in a VERY good group that can chain pull with high DPS, good puller etc. Experience isn't great so needs high volume of mobs),

Volume of mobs in Lower Guk can be a real issue - with 3 or 4 groups I doubt you'll see a single mob on the undead side.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Good to note that living side of LGuk is usually ignored, and you can pretty much always find an open pick for live frogs. Tons of mobs / impromptu camping spots, or legit camps there. High 30s and up, you definitely need CC, i'd say moreso than dead side.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Volume of mobs in Lower Guk can be a real issue - with 3 or 4 groups I doubt you'll see a single mob on the undead side.

I'm ignoring the fact that nearly every decent zone will be packed.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Republicans posted:

Monk fists on progression servers start at a whopping 3/38 so you're gonna want to get a couple cheap staves ASAP until your fist ratio can get better. Fortunately it doesn't take too long to outclass most available weapons.

Yea you'd want a weapon initially but with Ragefire exp rates and highly likely bonus exp, you can blast through it pretty quick so I just didn't mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I know Shm/Sk is probably the strongest duo in the game, but what about Shm/Pal? Is it that much worse dps? Could the Paladins self healing allow the shaman to do a little more dps? This would be on Selo's, so I would at least have access to AAs as well.