Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Kiryu: "I have never killed anyone, I didn't kill that man and must prove my innocence."

Like 10 chapters later

"Give me the gun so I can shoot like 40 guys on the highway. I can probably take out those helicopters too.
Rubber bullets. Kiryu has never killed anyone :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Kiryu: "I have never killed anyone, I didn't kill that man and must prove my innocence."

Like 10 chapters later

"Give me the gun so I can shoot like 40 guys on the highway. I can probably take out those helicopters too.

I'm pretty sure he didn't think he couldn't kill anyone. (very early plot spoilers?) He also thought he accidentally killed him until he learned the guy got shot since he knows he didn't shoot him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Like 10 chapters later

That whole rail shooter bit is so bizarre. Tonally, stylistically and even gameplay-wise it feels like it's from a completely different game.

If 0 was one of the remakes id guess it's just a legacy thing from before the series found its identity but...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGvV_jlXX4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmpBXoIJOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That whole rail shooter bit is so bizarre. Tonally, stylistically and even gameplay-wise it feels like it's from a completely different game.

If 0 was one of the remakes id guess it's just a legacy thing from before the series found its identity but...
It's an homage to the rail shooter section in the original Yakuza. Zero has a few setpieces where they basically reuse a bit from Yakuza 1 in a different context. Then Kiwami came out and recycled them again. :v:

That original rail shooter in Yakuza 1, by the way, was a barely playable mess. In order to aim, you had to use the shoulder buttons to turn Kiryu 90 degrees, and enemies could shoot you from offscreen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even before the rail-shooter bit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GimrcIt5A

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I picked up Breath of the Wild a little while ago after putting it down months ago, shortly after starting Master Mode.

Man, I forgot how awesome this game is. Just a pile of small little details and mechanics that coalesce into a really awesome experience. The feeling of exploring a world (and actually exploring, not just following quest markers), doing things like equipping ice weapons to make the heat a little more bearable, finding the Master Sword without having an explicit quest to seek it out, the amount of sass and puns that Link's dialogue options contain ("Hey do you have 10 bundles of wood on you?" *Yep!* "Can you give them to me so that I can start construction?" *Nope! Bye!* ), and more. I just finished one dungeon, and have finished one before on a previous save file (the Gerudo and Zora ones, respectively), and though I know they got a bit of flack, I really liked them. Though they lack the same sort of personality that other Zelda games have had in the past, they make up for an open-ended design that mimics the rest of the game, with the ability to cram a fair amount of dungeoneering within such a small space, which I found really cool. They're way more inventive than any others in the past, that's for sure.

The bosses, yeah, weren't as visually creative, but they, or at least the ones I fought, don't fall into the typical Zelda trope of "hit weak point, attack downed monster, repeat exactly three times" that almost every Zelda boss has been since, like, Ocarina of Time.

And while Master Mode frustrated me at first, now that I've got some upgraded armor and stronger weapons (especially the Master Sword), things have gone from frustrating to simply lethal, meaning I need to be quite careful about what I pick fights with, making things interesting. Though silver enemies still have way too much health, it's like an endurance match for my weaponry just taking one of them down.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I've been playing through Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I've just spotted the littlest thing. I'm in an area called the Golden Fields which unsurprisingly has a lot of wheat in it. If you slow down to a walking pace (which you pretty much never have reason to do) whilst walking through the fields Kassandra puts out her hand and runs it through the heads of wheat in a 100% copy of that one shot from Gladiator, see the first scene in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9zep1n8cU

It's so subtle that even if you happened to slow to a walk and happened to be in a field you might never notice but it's such an obvious homage once you spot it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing The World Ends With You, and while the grindy nature of the game combined with certain stat boosting mechanics being tied with realtime clock mechanics is really annoying (because food takes forever to work and it's the only permanent way to boost stats) but I do like the idea behind the bravery mechanic.

Basically it's the characters social courage, not a willingness to face danger, but to face embarrassment, and all the higher level armour is inherently something that would give someone like Neku, who is a totally pathetic person who attempts to seem aloof because he is terrified of how people will percieve him, pause to wear it. He starts with the courage of 19 or so, where Shiki has about 120 because she is confident in who she is and way more outgoing. I currently have him in a very basic outfit, flipflops and a t-shirt, because at 20 courage the next best item he can equip is a bit much for the giant baby, because while it's got an extra point in defense that the t-shirt lacks it has the picture of a children's cartoon character on it. At the highest extreme of this mechanic, the endgame/much higher level armour is found at Lupin Angelique, a boutique store for high-fashion women's clothing, which required about 150 courage for Neku to even think about wearing, but gives +95 HP and +8 defense on one nice dress. Basically by endgame Neku will become so confident in who he is that he will genuinely no longer care how he is percieved and will literally wear anything that he chooses to wear regardless of how odd it will make him look. It's this video spread across the whole game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1tN9jZI80

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
TWEWY is Rampant Consumerism: The Game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love character creators in games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UIvqFoEag

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
That preview image is pretty :nws:, maybe repost without the video tags?

I got my fill of making inappopriate lizardmen in Elder Scrolls Online, so in SC6 I made an angel with a butt for a face and a face on his butt, and something that started as a blow-up doll mummy and got worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZINpqcPwo

Edit: My masterpiece in ESO is a drunk, pregnant Argonian named Barefoot-and-Gravid:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rollersnake posted:

That preview image is pretty :nws:, maybe repost without the video tags?

I got my fill of making inappopriate lizardmen in Elder Scrolls Online, so in SC6 I made an angel with a butt for a face and a face on his butt, and something that started as a blow-up doll mummy and got worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZINpqcPwo

Well, if it isn’t my old friend Mr. Mcgrass, with an rear end for a face and a face for an rear end!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Oh my loving god with Subnautica.

First, the only reason I even know what these things are called is because I assumed I'd be too cowardly for this game and browsed the wiki a few months ago. Otherwise, it'd only be "that terrifyingly big poo poo that came out of nowhere".

I've been following along with Day9's videos and he got the seamoth to explore the deep cave way before me, so I went around a deeper area looking for pieces. I found a crevice that went vertically deep down about 600m and got some message about it being an ecological dead zone. Everything pitch black except the wall next to me, but I rode the sea breeze straight down and used the self-inflating emergency self-inflating air bag to get back to the surface a few times at this point trying to see if there was a bottom to explore. Apparently a goddamn ghost leviathan picked up on me during one of these trips and tracked me up about 300-400 meters, taking a bite out of me on the way. Items in this game only work as long as you're holding them, but time doesn't pause while the inventory is open. All I could do is stare at this thing coming at me and if I did anything else, even open inventory, I was going to die.

I started making a beeline home since I was running low on batteries. loving reaper leviathan comes at me on the surface so hard it gets airborne. The seabreeze I was riding basically follows regular WASD movement, so I couldn't look one way while moving another, I had to keep my view straight on home the whole time and not look an inch away or this thing was probably going to eat me. I'd seen these things in the distance 100+m down at key locations, never saw one anywhere near the surface before.

Subnautica's got kind of a clunky UI at times that forces your view certain ways, but it works once in a while. Can't look away sometimes, can't look around others. The forced blindness to things below you while traveling helps make it a bit unnerving.

yook has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Mar 4, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

yook posted:

Oh my loving god with Subnautica.

Incidentally, if you haven't read it in your in game database yet, that ecological dead zone is the outside of the playable area, a massive crater that the entire game takes place in. It's pretty cool, conceptually. Also it is full of leviathans and absolutely nothing else .

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing The World Ends With You, and while the grindy nature of the game combined with certain stat boosting mechanics being tied with realtime clock mechanics is really annoying (because food takes forever to work and it's the only permanent way to boost stats) but I do like the idea behind the bravery mechanic.

I can understand how one might find it annoying, but

A: You definitely don't need the stats, they're just a bonus
B: It fits in strongly with one of the themes of the game, which is getting you to only play the game every so often; if you're playing the DS version, there's three kinds of experience. Battle experience, experience you get from not playing the game, and experience you get from being near other people (using the DS's Streetpass feature, but the other people don't have to have TWEWY)

and C: There is a way to bypass the daily food limit, but you're a long way from getting it: You can buy the ability in the postgame from a special shop

Personally, I think TWEWY is fantastic for a number of reasons, like the difficulty scaling. It was really good at giving me difficult challenges that I had to raise my skills to overcome, and the system that lets you lower your level for increased drop rate is a great fit for it. I spent most of the game on Hard Mode at level 16, so you should do that, since you want to be like me, a Cool Guy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm also playing TWEWY right now, and I decided to go through it without any grinding it doesn't encourage me to, and it works just fine; I just cannot equip almost anything from the shops, which is fine because it doesn't feel necessary at all. Everything with a substantial bonus, Neku isn't man enough to wear anyway for a long time.

I don't know how the game will end and how it's structured, but it heavily hints at there being an extensive postgame and/or NG+, considering the highest difficulty option hasn't even been unlocked yet (and I feel like I'm heading towards the endgame), a huge number of sidequests/-activities so far were extremely missable and seemed impossible to do without prior knowledge anway, and the insane amount of stuff I have no way of buying/wearing without doing the world's most idiotic grind for no reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much it opens up after beating the story, and then I'll decide how much I want to do. The best thing about it is probably how much of this freedom it allows the player: no random encounters, no set difficulty for them, completely open about all drop chances which you can directly influence...of course there's a lot that's still hidden (like when and how pins will evolve), but overall it feels completely honest for better or worse*, and that's quite refreshing.

*the style and themes are ridiculous, but that's part of the charm as well in a way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've finally gotten around to the PS4 God of War and daaaamn Cory Barlog has really upped his game when it comes to directing. I guess all that time he spent hanging out with George Miller really paid off.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Simply Simon posted:

I don't know how the game will end

with you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

I've finally gotten around to the PS4 God of War and daaaamn Cory Barlog has really upped his game when it comes to directing. I guess all that time he spent hanging out with George Miller really paid off.

The one sad thing about Fury Road and God of War being such huge successes is that we'll probably never see that joint Miller/Barlog Mad Max project now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

His name isn't Cory Balrog? I'm disappointed now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You delved too greedily and too deep.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFbeaM0hp_c&t=1s

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The deluxe version of the Resident Evil 2 remake let you swap-out the new music for the original game's sound track.

The Devil May Cry 5 deluxe edition is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ebUmoM9nA

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

exquisite tea posted:

The one sad thing about Fury Road and God of War being such huge successes is that we'll probably never see that joint Miller/Barlog Mad Max project now.

The Fury Road sequel fell apart and Barlog flits about a bit, so don't lose hope yet!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It used to be but he got it changed so people would stop making that stupid Cory Vega joke.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Veotax posted:

The deluxe version of the Resident Evil 2 remake let you swap-out the new music for the original game's sound track.

The Devil May Cry 5 deluxe edition is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ebUmoM9nA

This is so amazing

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Shining Force EXA: Cyrille's ice magic just shreds mobs.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Miitopia is a 3DS game that's basically Tomodachi Life, but with RPG classes and a lot of emphasis on being able to import custom Miis to fill literally every role in the game. It's a pretty standard RPG setup where you and a couple of Miis set off on a world-saving quest, but it retains a lot of the goofy humor of Tomodachi Life. (For example, while you have standard classes like Warrior, Mage, and Cleric, you can also play as some weirder classes like Flower, Cat, or Pop Star.)

A lot of people probably wrote it off, since it came out towards the end of the 3DS's lifespan, and at first glance just seems like a silly casual 8/10 parody game. In a lot of ways, it is. It never gets super in-depth, has a heavy reliance on RNG, and suffers from being grindy lategame.

However, the reason I'm bringing Miitopia up is that, for whatever reason, this dumb goofy game about having Hank Hill partying up with Snoop Dogg and Shaq has a hidden gem of a soundtrack that absolutely slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwWizwjSro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-O3Ti22Wg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFhCQPcOWvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-il6Yc9KZ8

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dad Jokes posted:

However, the reason I'm bringing Miitopia up is that, for whatever reason, this dumb goofy game about having Hank Hill partying up with Snoop Dogg and Shaq has a hidden gem of a soundtrack that absolutely slaps.

It's got to feel weird to be an artist turning out great work that then gets applied to mediocre products. Like the NES Pictionary title screen music.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's got to feel weird to be an artist turning out great work that then gets applied to mediocre products. Like the NES Pictionary title screen music.

Even better: an artist turning out great work that gets applied to a mediocre product and then isn't actually used in-game. Poor Jeroen Tel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-ALaY146Q

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Basically it's the characters social courage, not a willingness to face danger, but to face embarrassment, and all the higher level armour is inherently something that would give someone like Neku, who is a totally pathetic person who attempts to seem aloof because he is terrified of how people will percieve him, pause to wear it. He starts with the courage of 19 or so, where Shiki has about 120 because she is confident in who she is and way more outgoing. I currently have him in a very basic outfit, flipflops and a t-shirt, because at 20 courage the next best item he can equip is a bit much for the giant baby, because while it's got an extra point in defense that the t-shirt lacks it has the picture of a children's cartoon character on it. At the highest extreme of this mechanic, the endgame/much higher level armour is found at Lupin Angelique, a boutique store for high-fashion women's clothing, which required about 150 courage for Neku to even think about wearing, but gives +95 HP and +8 defense on one nice dress. Basically by endgame Neku will become so confident in who he is that he will genuinely no longer care how he is percieved and will literally wear anything that he chooses to wear regardless of how odd it will make him look. It's this video spread across the whole game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1tN9jZI80

No matter what game the clothes/armor with the best stats are always the most ugly or ridiculous looking. It's as if game developers do this on purpose just to troll the fashion conscious players.

I appreciate it when games have social armor slots so I can hide the ugly stat boosting outfits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's literally a gameplay mechanic in TWEWY tho

it also doesn't actually represent on your character, it's just icons in your inventory

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a question about The World Ends With You - it seems Shiki is way more powerful that Neku in general stats, right now Neku has 13+3 strength and 10+3 defense, while from all the stickers Shiki has 11+10 for both - is it because Shiki has to make up for a lack of special attacks, like being unable to make use of trends via pins, while Neku needs less base attack due to clever use of multipliers if you use trendy pins? Am I reading that right?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a question about The World Ends With You - it seems Shiki is way more powerful that Neku in general stats, right now Neku has 13+3 strength and 10+3 defense, while from all the stickers Shiki has 11+10 for both - is it because Shiki has to make up for a lack of special attacks, like being unable to make use of trends via pins, while Neku needs less base attack due to clever use of multipliers if you use trendy pins? Am I reading that right?

Generally yeah. Neku's pins also evolve as you play, which gives them fat stat bonuses and new mechanics to help out. Neku can dramatically adapt his playstyle.

And if you're not super far into the game, don't read this:

Plus, Shiki is designed as a crutch character for you so you can learn the mechanics more easily without worrying about the top screen too much. The other side characters later are much more diverse, unique, and in a lot of cases, weaker if you don't execute on their gimmicks right!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Simply Simon posted:

I'm also playing TWEWY right now, and I decided to go through it without any grinding it doesn't encourage me to, and it works just fine; I just cannot equip almost anything from the shops, which is fine because it doesn't feel necessary at all. Everything with a substantial bonus, Neku isn't man enough to wear anyway for a long time.

I don't know how the game will end and how it's structured, but it heavily hints at there being an extensive postgame and/or NG+, considering the highest difficulty option hasn't even been unlocked yet (and I feel like I'm heading towards the endgame), a huge number of sidequests/-activities so far were extremely missable and seemed impossible to do without prior knowledge anway, and the insane amount of stuff I have no way of buying/wearing without doing the world's most idiotic grind for no reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much it opens up after beating the story, and then I'll decide how much I want to do. The best thing about it is probably how much of this freedom it allows the player: no random encounters, no set difficulty for them, completely open about all drop chances which you can directly influence...of course there's a lot that's still hidden (like when and how pins will evolve), but overall it feels completely honest for better or worse*, and that's quite refreshing.

*the style and themes are ridiculous, but that's part of the charm as well in a way.

I strongly recommend going all-in on the postgame - there's a bunch of new stuff, some strong superbosses and upgraded versions of the regular bosses, an alternate storyline, and unlockable big backstory stuff.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's been a while since I played it, but I'd reckon the majority of the game is in the post game stuff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm still having trouble with the Week 1 end boss but I'm getting the hang of avoiding his attacks, like when he starts doing his big fist attacks how to dodge them (have Shiki block when he laughs, if he says "I'll pound you" run to the opposite side as the raised fist, vice versa for "I'll mince you") but actually executing it is fairly hard. I may need to level up my pins so they do more damage as I don't think I have any to match the trend in that area. I've never been able to get past him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm still having trouble with the Week 1 end boss but I'm getting the hang of avoiding his attacks, like when he starts doing his big fist attacks how to dodge them (have Shiki block when he laughs, if he says "I'll pound you" run to the opposite side as the raised fist, vice versa for "I'll mince you") but actually executing it is fairly hard. I may need to level up my pins so they do more damage as I don't think I have any to match the trend in that area. I've never been able to get past him.

Don't be afraid to drop your difficulty when needed - this might be slight gameplay spoilers, but you'll unlock the option of replaying days, with all the pins/items you've collected. It's so satisfying to run into a boss that kicked your rear end the first time and turn him into a smear on the ground!