Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress that, she was trying to cut ahead of you and failed miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

apparently managed to phase through already-parked cars though so that's powerful

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fermented Tinal posted:

When making right turns I always use the shoulder or move over to the right if it is safe to do so and there is traffic behind me.

I thought this was just common courtesy.

So what happens when a guy in the real right most lane legally turns right while a courteous shoulder driver also turns right?

I'm not a fan of this move at all. The shoulder has a purpose and it's probably not for convenient shortcuts.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

apparently managed to phase through already-parked cars though so that's powerful

Haha, the eastern part of that row has reserved numbers. I think my red lines are covering over. So those are the 'reserved' spots I mentioned. Only about 1/3 of them get filled up during the day, so that's great for everyone.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

So what happens when a guy in the real right most lane legally turns right while a courteous shoulder driver also turns right?

I'm not a fan of this move at all. The shoulder has a purpose and it's probably not for convenient shortcuts.

The answer is pretty simple really, don't pass on the shoulder, whichever car was ahead turns first. If someone pulls over the shoulder and sees someone in the through lane getting ready to make a right turn as well they should slow down and let the non-courteous driver in the through lane turn first. Naturally, in real life it's more likely to be some rear end in a top hat pulling to the shoulder and trying to pass a line of moving cars before making the right turn, but that is not the way it should be.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wouldn't know, I only do it on single lane roads. I realize I said "always" but where I live there's only like two roads that are multiple lanes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I wouldn't know, I only do it on single lane roads. I realize I said "always" but where I live there's only like two roads that are multiple lanes.

It's certainly more understandable on single lane roads. I see it all the time on six lane (plus 2 for left turns) intersections with 55mph limit highways.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's certainly more understandable on single lane roads. I see it all the time on six lane (plus 2 for left turns) intersections with 55mph limit highways.

Single lane highway, yeah, I'll move over. Multi-lane highway? No, you can move your rear end into the left lane instead of riding mine while I slow down to turn.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

Handiklap posted:

There was no collision.

Nice.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They added a new lane onto the motorway I use to get to work last week which acts as the exit lane onto another motorway. For the most part it works pretty well and moves far faster than the other lanes. It fucks up though when people jump in because it’s going faster but then attempt to merge back into the traffic. I watched a truck nearly slam into a car attempting such a move yesterday morning

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A round of applause to the goober I got stuck behind this morning who would drive 5-10 mph under the limit, then coast through stop signs without ever tapping his brakes (then spend a half mile building up whatever speed he'd lost).

Dude just straight up gave no fucks for how his decisions affected anyone around him.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Opiates

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

A round of applause to the goober I got stuck behind this morning who would drive 5-10 mph under the limit, then coast through stop signs without ever tapping his brakes (then spend a half mile building up whatever speed he'd lost).

Dude just straight up gave no fucks for how his decisions affected anyone around him.

What was he driving?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was he driving?

Lexus CT, which now that you made me think of it I realize he was just hypermiling.

:ughh:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

xzzy posted:

Lexus CT, which now that you made me think of it I realize he was just hypermiling.

:ughh:

Hypermiling on public roads should result in your car being seized and auctioned off if you're caught.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mandated to something under 15 mpg. It's not a punishment to me but a hypermiler?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVTqH8tF5qg

:00 they've stopped so far into the intersection, the guy behind was already stopped at his stop bar.
:18 ehhhhh
:30 ehhhhh

This person was basically sleep-walking ahead of me the entire way, 5-10 under on 35mph roads. She pulled off to the hospital here, so I'm giving benefit of the doubt she needed some help.

nsaP posted:

Opiates

:hmmyes:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

Mandated to something under 15 mpg. It's not a punishment to me but a hypermiler?

A fate worse than death. Good call.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I saw an old person drive their sedan this morning, approaching a 6-lane intersection across a 7-lane highway. Within the last 30 feet, he couldn't make up his mind which of the two straight lanes to take. whynotboth.gif?
Exactly, he settled on straddling BOTH loving lanes at the very front of two lanes of cars waiting for a green.
A short while later he pulled into the same parking lot I had already entered from a different point, completely without any self-awareness or any looking around whatsoever. Dude approaching you from the right in that parking lot? Tough poo poo when Oldie McSenior doesn't see you because he's not even looking. Just staring forward and driving with his mouth half-open.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People who stop on the far right in a right-or-straight lane instead of getting over to the left so somebody can turn next to them should be publicly caned, gently caress it's such a simple thing to do to not poo poo up the entire lane

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Javid posted:

People who stop on the far right in a right-or-straight lane instead of getting over to the left so somebody can turn next to them should be publicly caned, gently caress it's such a simple thing to do to not poo poo up the entire lane
I had a really rage inducing one of these Sunday night.

State Route 18 to the east of the location pictured has two lanes per direction plus a suicide lane. At this intersection it expands to three lanes westbound, all of which are permitted to go straight.

I was traveling west and stuck behind two assholes who had been pacing each other for a couple of miles. As we approach the widening I put my signal on and prepare to move over in to the new rightmost lane to make my turn, at which point both of the other two drivers also decide they want to move over but then turn their signals off and sit there waiting for the light to change to go straight, blocking me from making a legal right-on-red while two straight-only lanes sit empty next to them.

Green is me, red and blue are assholes 1 and 2.

Obviously there is sufficient shoulder there that I'd have had no trouble just going around the morons, but there was a cop I could see down the street and I didn't feel like finding out how much he cared about that move.

I really wish they'd put in a few barriers and make that in to a turn-only lane. If two straight lanes was fine 500 feet prior it should still be there. As an added bonus they could then allow for a continuous right on red for westbound traffic coming off of Windfall.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I hate those kind of intersections. I always end up behind someone going straight when I want to make a right turn.

In a perfect world, I think it would be a good idea to have the right lane be turn-only for 100 feet or so before the light, but knowing drivers that will realistically just lead to more cutting off.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm driving across Nevada, and the number of people that will just angrily sit in my rear-view mirror instead of passing on a two-lane road utterly boggles my mind.

We're talking really rural highways, so most of the time there's not a single other car visible between the horizons for me. So I don't know what they expect to happen. I'm not going to suddenly go faster, just go the gently caress around me with the literally infinite amount of space you have to do so. I don't get it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminder that it's not just people you're sharing the road (and your car) with:

https://twitter.com/MANUELCAV/status/1102736528558579712?s=19

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

wrong topic

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reminder that it's not just people you're sharing the road (and your car) with:

https://twitter.com/MANUELCAV/status/1102736528558579712?s=19

Sent that to my wife....She's not gonna like it :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Taking the most desolate back roads that get me where I'm going this road trip was the best decision ever. Everything that makes me hate driving long distances is completely absent. Instead of being utterly loving exhausted after 12 hours holding a steering wheel, I'm just like "ok I can stop now I guess".

I'm just puttering along at 55 on these nigh empty state highways, and the five cars per hour I see just go around me with no drama. I can stop to take photos pretty much at will, or just plain sit for a bit if I want to. Traffic basically doesn't exist, and won't for me until I'm much closer to Vegas. The worst part are the hick towns that think they're so important that interstate traffic needs to grind to a halt and go 25 through their series of trailers, packed bars, and rampant obesity, but at least those are few and far between.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some guy merging onto the highway get brake-checked by a dick who almost changed lanes into him without signaling. Brake-checker wasn't even trying to move over for his exit, I have no clue what the gently caress he was doing. Drunk?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Javid posted:

I'm driving across Nevada, and the number of people that will just angrily sit in my rear-view mirror instead of passing on a two-lane road utterly boggles my mind.

We're talking really rural highways, so most of the time there's not a single other car visible between the horizons for me. So I don't know what they expect to happen. I'm not going to suddenly go faster, just go the gently caress around me with the literally infinite amount of space you have to do so. I don't get it.

hyper-miler drafting :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/gF4XYe3.mp4

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:drat:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

"Runs great. Needs bodywork."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Built Hino Tough

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

I had a really rage inducing one of these Sunday night.

State Route 18 to the east of the location pictured has two lanes per direction plus a suicide lane. At this intersection it expands to three lanes westbound, all of which are permitted to go straight.

I was traveling west and stuck behind two assholes who had been pacing each other for a couple of miles. As we approach the widening I put my signal on and prepare to move over in to the new rightmost lane to make my turn, at which point both of the other two drivers also decide they want to move over but then turn their signals off and sit there waiting for the light to change to go straight, blocking me from making a legal right-on-red while two straight-only lanes sit empty next to them.

Green is me, red and blue are assholes 1 and 2.

Obviously there is sufficient shoulder there that I'd have had no trouble just going around the morons, but there was a cop I could see down the street and I didn't feel like finding out how much he cared about that move.

I really wish they'd put in a few barriers and make that in to a turn-only lane. If two straight lanes was fine 500 feet prior it should still be there. As an added bonus they could then allow for a continuous right on red for westbound traffic coming off of Windfall.

The solution is to get as far away from Northeast Ohio as you can, as quickly as you can. The drivers there aren't just bad, it's like they're purposefully doing things wrong just because they can.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nocheez posted:

The solution is to get as far away from Northeast Ohio as you can, as quickly as you can. The drivers there aren't just bad, it's like they're purposefully doing things wrong just because they can.

I often think this, then travel out of state and realize that we don't have it all that bad here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

I often think this, then travel out of state and realize that we don't have it all that bad here.

The driver mix here, as far as I can tell, is 80% timid drivers and 20% aggressive drivers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nocheez posted:

Geoj nailed it.

Geoj posted:

Ohio drivers suck in a lot of ways, but every time I drive to Indiana I am reminded that it can be so much worse.

I've driven in about half of the country and I'd put Ohio somewhere in the top third. Most of the major highways being 3+ lanes wide these days probably helps, a lot harder for idiots to totally tie things up that way.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I think the biggest issue in Ohio is the terrible condition of the roads owing to this being a red state, with predictable politics/policies.

Recently ODOT pretty much said if nothing is done in the near future we're going to have a major road crisis in the next few years.

Predictably, the state house is quibbling over raising the gas tax by a whole dime, which is down from the initially proposed $0.185 cent hike. And even if it passes we'll likely be back in the same boat in 5-10 years because they dropped pegging the gas tax to inflation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not just Ohio, road maintenance is in the shitter for the entire country. No one wants to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've never looked into why it is but kentucky is red af and we have some of the best state roads that I've seen. If it's numbered it's redone seemingly at most 2 years, sometimes less. Quick fixes on stuff compared to the closest state I see a lot, Ohio. Cincy is pretty bad.