Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Roy Dean is creepy af but I'm still curious about Ken Primola's romance bjj book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hey gang, how do you all make the most out of instructional tapes? Watch all the way through and see what sticks? Watch it technique by technique and try when rolling? Get a partner for drilling? I assume that final one would be the ideal, but outside of that how do you best make instructional content stick with you?

tbh I feel at this age I cannot absorb and retain a single additional morsel of knowledge and I don't know what to do about it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wangsbig posted:

tbh I feel at this age I cannot absorb and retain a single additional morsel of knowledge and I don't know what to do about it

chronic head trauma

clear out the useless stuff like your children's names

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Some garbage people out there

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/axbn1u/reap_knees_for_satan_design/

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It thrills me that ukranians try to rip off my stuff, honestly. It makes me feel validated.

With regard to instructionals, I watch it all once and make a table of conetents, and then I usually go through the videos and add timestamps to the files. Now I know roughly what’s there, and I can dig through it later for troubleshooting.

Then I pick out a couple of bits that fit my game, and try it a few times on (unresisting) friends at the gym. I usually find that I’ve missed something important, but it’s been thoroughly catalogued, so I can keep reviewing it until all the inportant details stick. If there’s something that I still can’t make work, I show it to my coach and he can usually tell me why it’s not working in ten seconds. I try to have it honed down to a very specific question before I bring it to him, though. I only add a small number of techniques at any one time and I try to troubleshoot them pretty thoroughly before I move on.

Sometimes, when my idiot friend isn’t injured, we go through long stretches of DVDs in my garage. Drill it like it’s a normal class. I find it hard to coordinate between people with jobs and families though, so I don’t get that opportunity very often.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I kimura'd a white belt from 50/50 today. There's no way this is a thing right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I idiotically tried to get an ezekial off while I was mounted in my first class of the night just now. I truly don't understand how Oleynik did it that one time because it was increibly hard to keep the guy in that position.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mekchu posted:

I idiotically tried to get an ezekial off while I was mounted in my first class of the night just now. I truly don't understand how Oleynik did it that one time because it was increibly hard to keep the guy in that position.

I don't know how you set it up then but Oleynik actually had it set up in a standing clinch, sat down while the sub was on and let the guy get mount to make the guy prioritize getting position instead of defending. I could be wrong at what point he decided to set the choking arm in, but it mostly was all set up from the clinch.

If you were already mounted, I don't think it had any chance of working.

Somewhat like people giving the back when doing a baseball bat choke from half-guard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He started setting it up while the guy was in side control. He doesn't completely apply the ezekial until he's mounted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSuXiTZ9EYA

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

heeebrew posted:

I kimura'd a white belt from 50/50 today. There's no way this is a thing right?

Decades posted:

Got my elbow slightly popped because I was in top cross ashi/ inside senkaku/ honey saddle and for some reason didn't think I could get finished with a kimura from there. Respect kimura grips everywhere friends.

They're everywhere!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He started setting it up while the guy was in side control. He doesn't completely apply the ezekial until he's mounted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSuXiTZ9EYA

True, that was the first time, the second was the one I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXN6VPdLAnc

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

More Judo for me today trying desperately to apply my techniques properly while my uke is moving back and Im moving forward. A lot easier to apply a Ippon Seoi nage when moving backward, not as easy while moving forward.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

kind of same :/

I kind of thought my skills would come back faster but I guess my lay off was pretty long. I got my blue belt in 2015, then injured the gently caress out of my ankle in 2016, got depressed as poo poo, trained for a few months in 2017 and then my professor moved and I did no physical activity of any kind until 2019. In January I turned Turbo-Creonte and went to a new academy. Now I'm doing BJJ two mornings a week and lifting 3-4 other mornings per week. I feel like a dork wearing my blue belt because I'm really not blue belt level at this point (not that blue belt level is that fantastic or anything). I'm also weak as poo poo, and fat as poo poo. I just ordered a new gi and belt because I can't properly close and tie my current gear. Feels bad man, but I guess all I can do is keep going, and keep lifting. Shame that nothing can possibly ever be done about my weight but at least I can get strong again maybe.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I kind of thought my skills would come back faster but I guess my lay off was pretty long. I got my blue belt in 2015, then injured the gently caress out of my ankle in 2016, got depressed as poo poo, trained for a few months in 2017 and then my professor moved and I did no physical activity of any kind until 2019. In January I turned Turbo-Creonte and went to a new academy. Now I'm doing BJJ two mornings a week and lifting 3-4 other mornings per week. I feel like a dork wearing my blue belt because I'm really not blue belt level at this point (not that blue belt level is that fantastic or anything). I'm also weak as poo poo, and fat as poo poo. I just ordered a new gi and belt because I can't properly close and tie my current gear. Feels bad man, but I guess all I can do is keep going, and keep lifting. Shame that nothing can possibly ever be done about my weight but at least I can get strong again maybe.

as a fellow injured, depressed fat man (much fatter than you)

One step at a time. Some days are really discouraging, and you may not be able to do anything correctly on those days. That is fine; being there alone is a ton of progress. Take a deep breath, and take pride in knowing that you could beat the yesterday version of yourself. It adds up over time. You already know this, but it's nice to hear explicit reminders :):

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hey gang, how do you all make the most out of instructional tapes? Watch all the way through and see what sticks? Watch it technique by technique and try when rolling? Get a partner for drilling? I assume that final one would be the ideal, but outside of that how do you best make instructional content stick with you?

I tend to watch it all the way through and then go back and rewatch the sections I think I will implement most in my game and actively try to hit those moves when rolling. During open mats I'll just drill a bunch of new stuff that I want to work on.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

(much fatter than you)

I'm 5'10" at 290 lbs so don't be so sure. I don't believe I've ever grappled with someone fatter than me, but I don't live in the US anymore so that may be part of it too.

But otherwise you're right and thank you.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've had a lot of lapses in training and know how this feels. give it time, it always comes back and gets better even when it doesn't feel like it will/has. I'd easily own any previous iteration of me right now and that's the metric that really matters

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

I've had a lot of lapses in training and know how this feels. give it time, it always comes back and gets better even when it doesn't feel like it will/has. I'd easily own any previous iteration of me right now and that's the metric that really matters

2014-2015 me would laugh and cry at the same time while beating me up. I'll give it time though, like you said.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I started BJJ after I lost about 65 pounds. I was 215 at my heaviest, got down to 150 and slowly gained back to 180 before starting BJJ as motivation to maintain my weight. After starting to train, I quickly ballooned up to 200 after deciding I can eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's after training since I sweated sooo much. Got back down to 175 (made weight at 170 for a few comps with a small water cut) and after getting injured last year, have found my way back up to 210 at the beginning of this year. I'm down ten pounds and am back on the way down to middleweight.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have like, a legit problem with binge eating. Like, wait till my wife goes out of the house then go to the convenience store at buy $20 worth of chips candy and eat it all in one sitting in the dark in secret. I started BJJ at 220, and got up to 265 before I stopped, because I was eating like that at least 3 days per week. It's why I'm seriously overweight and also seriously in debt. Like easily 5k calories in a single sitting, and

I did recently start doing something else for this psychologically and it has seemed to help, I haven't had a binge like that in a few weeks. I'm still over eating but I don't resemble a TLC special anymore. I think the only reason I'm not 400 lbs plus is because of the mat time and the time with the iron I put in over the years.

I would get a therapist for this but I'm broke (see above) but I have some self help stuff that's actually helping this time which is a first for me with self help stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I havent lost a pound in a year of bjj. It never bothered me too much because I am on some medications that unleash havoc on your metabolism. Started going on a strict regiment of diet this week thiugh to try and get into competition weight

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Diet is everything. I got a little fluffy after a couple weeks of binge drinking and eating. Cleaned up my diet and lost 8lbs in a week.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Diet is everything. I got a little fluffy after a couple weeks of binge drinking and eating. Cleaned up my diet and lost 8lbs in a week.

Any tips/strats?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any tips/strats?

JaySB posted:

Cleaned up my diet

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Well yeah but you ask seven people what clean up their diet means and you will get seven answers

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odddzy posted:

I don't know how you set it up then but Oleynik actually had it set up in a standing clinch, sat down while the sub was on and let the guy get mount to make the guy prioritize getting position instead of defending. I could be wrong at what point he decided to set the choking arm in, but it mostly was all set up from the clinch.

If you were already mounted, I don't think it had any chance of working.

Somewhat like people giving the back when doing a baseball bat choke from half-guard.

It was while mounted. I was able to sweep/reversal him later but the opportunity was there so I thought I'd be dumb and try to get a sub in.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but you ask seven people what clean up their diet means and you will get seven answers

Deep down you probably know what to do.

Eat less processed food, 40% protein, 40% fibrous carbs (plants) 20% starchy carbs

Don't eat more calories than you burn unless you want to gain weight.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This year I stopped drinking alcohol and soft drink and that’s been great for me, losing weight slowly but consistently. Maybe just work out what your worst food habits are and try to eliminate them one at a time?

When I plateau my next step will be limiting the amount of takeaway that I’m allowed to eat each week.

Weight loss is a really personal ‘what works for you’ thing though, since it’s just kind of a battle of willpower against yourself.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

starkebn posted:

Deep down you probably know what to do.

Eat less processed food, 40% protein, 40% fibrous carbs (plants) 20% starchy carbs

Don't eat more calories than you burn unless you want to gain weight.

I dont get why you're being a dick about this

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Eat real food. Lift heavy things.

What is it about asking a guy how he gets into competition shape that makes people act like Ive never heard of exercise before

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 6, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any tips/strats?

Eat real food. Lift heavy things.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I've been doing IF 16:8 for the past two months and I'm down 10 pounds.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont get why you're being a dick about this

While their delivery could use a bit of work, their information is pretty on the mark for a very basic, uncomplicated approach to forming a proper diet, which should really be thought of as more of a lifestyle modification, and not just a "I do this for three weeks and then go back to eating normal" plan.

I work with a lot of Bariatric/Metabolic Disease/Cardiovascular Disease/Sedentary clients who think that there has to be more to it that I'm just not telling them or that I don't know what I'm talking about or that their body is different. It can really grind on a person and make them hostile about the subject. Not to make excuses for the aggression, just hoping that may possibly explain a little of it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is it about asking a guy how he gets into competition shape that makes people act like Ive never heard of exercise before

I think it's a common trope in weight loss that unsuccessful people are always looking for new strategies and gimmicks while successful people just stick to a simple healthy, clean caloric deficit and grind it out. I wasn't being flippant, that is my mantra when I'm cutting weight.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

While their delivery could use a bit of work, their information is pretty on the mark for a very basic, uncomplicated approach to forming a proper diet, which should really be thought of as more of a lifestyle modification, and not just a "I do this for three weeks and then go back to eating normal" plan.

Yeah, the reason why I am asking is because I usually do a 50/20/30 ratio with whole grains for my carbs, but I know some people have different perspectives and I never did a training diet before.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think it's a common trope in weight loss

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I work with a lot of Bariatric/Metabolic Disease/Cardiovascular Disease/Sedentary clients who think that there has to be more to it that I'm just not telling them or that I don't know what I'm talking about or that their body is different. It can really grind on a person and make them hostile about the subject. Not to make excuses for the aggression, just hoping that may possibly explain a little of it.

Like, I think this is the point that is getting missed. I am not asking how to lose weight, that is not my problem. I am asking about getting into competition shape which involves cutting calories but also making sure you get enough energy that you can still train.

Like, I know how to diet to lose weight. I am talking about diet for competition shape.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made 20 buffalo wings after training last night. Partially because all I had prior to that was a donkkasu kimbab so I was just starving by the time I had dinner 10ish hours later with 2 hrs of sparring thrown in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I think this is the point that is getting missed. I am not asking how to lose weight, that is not my problem. I am asking about getting into competition shape which involves cutting calories but also making sure you get enough energy that you can still train.

Like, I know how to diet to lose weight. I am talking about diet for competition shape.

Depends on how deep you wanna cut right? I have friends who cut like five or eight pounds to get down a weight class and that doesn't require much effort besides getting to within like three or four pounds for the weigh in and letting the rest get cleared from dehydrating and then hydrating after the weigh in. Most of us can lose a fair bit of weight instantly, by just eating super super clean for a few weeks, and then sweating the rest of the weight off and don't really have to do the super hard kinds of cuts where you have to watch down to the milliliter of water you in take.

On the other side of the spectrum is my friend who walks around at somewhere around 200 with like 12ish% bodyfat, who cuts to around 190 for competition who says its super hellish and he eats pretty much nothing but chicken breast, brussle sprouts, and water, and the week before he has to measure out his water in take.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 6, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Depends on how deep you wanna cut right? I have friends who cut like five or eight pounds to get down a weight class and that doesn't require much effort besides getting to within like three or four pounds for the weigh in and letting the rest get cleared from dehydrating and then hydrating after the weigh in.

On the other side of the spectrum is my friend who walks around at somewhere around 200 with like 12ish% bodyfat, who cuts to around 190 for competition who says its super hellish and he eats pretty much nothing but chicken breast, brussle sprouts, and water.

Like my goal is to get to around 15 in way that is sustainable and doesnt kill strength gains. Like the last two years or so I have been doing 5x5s which tell you to eat like 3500 calories to build muscle

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like my goal is to get to around 15 in way that is sustainable and doesnt kill strength gains. Like the last two years or so I have been doing 5x5s which tell you to eat like 3500 calories to build muscle

1.8-2.2g/kg protein, cut at a caloric reduction that doesn't exceed 1.5% body mass/week. Proteins the only macro I worry about, besides trying to keep fat in the 30-50 range. The body holds lean mass pretty well if you give it enough protein and dont try to take it to single digits. Note that hitting the ideals here basically requires carb cycling. I prefer short, serious cuts so I can get back to massing or just feeling good while training.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Get in comp shape and stay in comp shape is the goal for me. I don't want to compete with big boys. 185 has enough big boys. I'm barely 5'8". There should be a competition where I could compete against other fat Jewish guys. I would do 205 no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Removing alcohol from my diet and riding a bike to practice made me lose 50lbs QUICK.

I'm not a fan of trying to lose weight specifically to compete, especially at the hobby level. I prefer to achieve a level of fitness I'm happy with and can maintain relatively easily, then for competition I just try to improve that level. Sometimes I lose weight, sometimes I gain some, but I always perform better than if I'd just tried to drop to the lowest weight I can achieve.

Plus losing after you cut a bunch of weight is extra demoralizing (for me.) If I lose at my normal weight, oh well. When I lose (and I always do) after making myself miserable for a few weeks, for the purpose of making myself MORE successful, it's especially frustrating.

It does feel good though to look in the mirror and see nothing but veins and hard surfaces.