Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How hilarious/amazing would it be if nationalized pharamcare came out of another lib scandal.

If something good could come out of another government just being "JOBS JOBS JOBS" that would be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

How hilarious/amazing would it be if nationalized pharamcare came out of another lib scandal.

If something good could come out of another government just being "JOBS JOBS JOBS" that would be pretty cool.

Next up: nationalize the telecom industry :unsmigghh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I know Im biased because I work in a pharmacy but holy poo poo yes I will take a national pharmacare program just because the Liberals are trying to distract us.

Like yeah it wont change my vote but still, its something we needed 20 loving years ago.

e: Watch it be a complete troll done in the same vein as voting reform.

It's six months before an election, on an issue of provincial jurisdiction. The Liberals aren't going to be able to announce anything substantial or concrete. They'd need to negotiate ten separate agreements (including with provinces that already have their own partial public coverage), and that's just not happening before September, even if they do include aspirational funding in the budget in a few weeks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's six months before an election, on an issue of provincial jurisdiction. The Liberals aren't going to be able to announce anything substantial or concrete. They'd need to negotiate ten separate agreements (including with provinces that already have their own partial public coverage), and that's just not happening before September, even if they do include aspirational funding in the budget in a few weeks.

Make it a system the provinces have to opt-in to for free drug money because Ford, Moe, Pallister, Legualt and Kenny will opt out to own the libs and it really won't end up costing anything anyways.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

We'll fund a full pharmacare study in 5 jurisdictions nationwide that happen to align with thinly held ridings.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I enjoy having to consult with my doctor every year to confirm that yes, I still need insulin for the disease with which I will die, because the pharmacist is too much of a loving tool to accept one iota of liability and my insurer is a profit seeking corporation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

I enjoy having to consult with my doctor every year to confirm that yes, I still need insulin for the disease with which I will die, because the pharmacist is too much of a loving tool to accept one iota of liability and my insurer is a profit seeking corporation.

Same but every couple months and I don't have a doctor so I have to take the morning off work to wait in line at the clinic before it opens so I can be told to come back in 4 hours to see the doctor for 5 min while the scribble a note that I'm allowed to keep having my drugs.

But the government is helping our doctor shortage by encouraging seeing a doctor via webcam. Oops they can't prescribe poo poo though because they don't want to accept one iota for liability.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1103062251727175682

I hate her so much.................................

and I hate that she's the only person I have ever considered voting strategically for

Speaking of contemptible people, Sheila Copps is apparently still alive and was on As It Happens this evening with her hot takes on JWR: "I wonder if her response would have been different if it was 9,000 indigenous jobs at stake?" :fuckoff:

I'd forgotten how much I hate that woman.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

infernal machines posted:

No, she's right, do we believe that job creation, or simply being an employer trumps the supremacy of the rule of law? This is definitely something we should figure out since the topic has been broached, because it's pretty loving fundamental.

I don't even know how it will end because the justice system has found a way to gently caress poo poo up so often these days. IIRC, the "best" that managed to be done to one of the guy responsible for some of the crook action was to assign him at home because sending him to jail would of been too much somehow... In a better world, the corporation would not need to be torpedo'd or dismantled like it probably will because we would be able to punish those who were in charge but that's not happening so the only way to hit them is to sacrifice the whole ship.

Also, did we ever get the reason why a deal was not done? The law was voted in so making one is definitely not illegal or anything but there has to be a reason why the possibility was denied.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Presumably the Crown had already decided how they intended to proceed and someone didn't appreciate the PMO dropping in and telling them to reconsider.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

Can't wait for the LPC / NDP federal coalition government.

Even if this weren't a pipe dream, those are CPC majority numbers.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Even if this weren't a pipe dream, those are CPC majority numbers.

It's a long way to go to the election, and Scheer doesn't look or sound like a closer. Also his voting history is going to make it easy for the Liberals to fear monger.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's Scheer's election to lose at this point, but I think he might be up to the challenge.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Entropic posted:

It's Scheer's election to lose at this point, but I think he might be up to the challenge.

Is he planning on hiring Hudak to run his campaign?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rumours are that Trudeau will hold a press conference tomorrow morning announcing that thanks to deferred prosecution, SNC-Lavalin have won the contract to dig an even deeper hole.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Is he planning on hiring Hudak to run his campaign?

Probably nothing will ever beat "vote for me to lose your job" but I'm sure they'll do their best

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
6 months away from an election, and the competition is Scheer and Jagmeet. These numbers are not particularly important.

The question will be - do you really think the Liberals are going to lose Atlantic and Quebec?

I see the minority government scenarios (either way, though less likely that it goes to the cons) but I don’t think there’s a path for a Con majority anymore. Especially with Bernier potentially eating into Con support in Quebec.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's really worth remembering that the last Conservative majority, they got 5 seats in Quebec.

We used to think some fragile alliance between Quebec conservatives and the rest of the country was necessary for the Cons to win but that's demonstrably not true anymore. Winning the West and Suburban Ontario would be enough for at least a Conservative minority.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Call them the Prairies, not the West. :argh:

The populated areas of BC don't deserve to be lumped in with them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

less than three posted:

Call them the Prairies, not the West. :argh:

The populated areas of BC don't deserve to be lumped in with them.

In 2011 the Cons won 21/36 seats in BC, so they definitely deserve it

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

In 2011 the Cons won 21/36 seats in BC, so they definitely deserve it

He said “populated” parts of BC.

BC deserves other things though.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

6 months away from an election, and the competition is Scheer and Jagmeet. These numbers are not particularly important.

The question will be - do you really think the Liberals are going to lose Atlantic and Quebec?

I think that standing up for SNC-L and bribery will be a boon to the libs in Quebec. Bribery of public officials is a distinct part of their society.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

OTTAWA -- A federally struck expert panel says the government should create a new agency to oversee rolling out a national pharmacare program.

The panel is making two other interim recommendations this morning, including developing a national list of drugs so coverage is the same across the country and spending to gather better data on prescription medications.

The government says it will consider the panel's interim recommendations while it awaits a final report due this spring.

lolllll

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

TWSS posted:

I think that standing up for SNC-L and bribery will be a boon to the libs in Quebec. Bribery of public officials is a distinct part of their society.

Clearly is in Ontario too considering we are voting in Ottawa to hire SNC AGAIN for the next phase of rail after the giant loving boondoggle that is the current lrt project.

Honestly gently caress this country god

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I really want to see the Big Book 'o Good Policy the Liberals hold in reserve come major scandals and close elections.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Clearly is in Ontario too considering we are voting in Ottawa to hire SNC AGAIN for the next phase of rail after the giant loving boondoggle that is the current lrt project.

Honestly gently caress this country god

SNC is clearly the only company we know of to operate rail infrastructure. And lord knows nothing can be built and run without a P3.

Unless it's the UPExpress, which was such a money sink that even SNC loving Lavalin backed out.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 6, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

So how does Liberal policy work? Committee -> Agency -> Inquiry -> Panel -> Policy :confused:

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I don't get this whole 'saving jobs' thing. Surely, if one company goes out of business for non-commercial reasons, the volume of work in that sector will still stay roughly the same and the workers and engineers out of a job will be hired by other companies that need to grow to meet demand?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
For license to break the law just get big enough that you employ thousands of people. It's very simple.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Health Services posted:

I don't get this whole 'saving jobs' thing. Surely, if one company goes out of business for non-commercial reasons, the volume of work in that sector will still stay roughly the same and the workers and engineers out of a job will be hired by other companies that need to grow to meet demand?

the lucrative market for building libyan torture prisons is global in scale so those valuable jobs might not come from canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Health Services posted:

I guess, if you actually believed in the ideal market but no one is really that naive. Practically speaking there's lots of reasons why competitors, if they exist on the same scale, won't be positioned to take advantage of the new market opportunities using the existing labour pool.

vyelkin posted:

the lucrative market for building libyan torture prisons is global in scale so those valuable jobs might not come from canada

Precisely

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Health Services posted:

When an industry is somewhat anchored to a location, this usually holds true but engineering isn't really anchored. You can have the plans for your prison/reactor/bridge/rail line drawn in Germany even if the thing will be built in Libya/China/Quebec/Ontario.

On the flip side, a pool of available engineer could push another firm to open an office there but there is no way it would recoup all the jobs.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ocrumsprug posted:

He said “populated” parts of BC.

BC deserves other things though.

Another reminder that anything east of Spuzzum is beyond Hope.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

So how does Liberal policy work? Committee -> Agency -> Inquiry -> Panel -> Policy :confused:

Well look, it's simple, they've received an interim report ahead of receiving an actual report, and in the meantime, they'll think about the recommendations.

There's a budget coming up in two weeks, so they'll announce something like 5-10 million to set up the agency at that time.

Then, a few months later, they'll receive the final report, in something like May/June.

And in July or August they get to announce that it'll be part of their electoral platform.

So, combined with the announcement of the commission/report in the first place, they get to milk five announcements out of nothing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TWSS posted:

No, the grits dropping the ball and totally failing to protect SNC Lavallin will lose them the Quebec vote, just line buying the pipeline will lose them BC votes and failing to build it will reaffirm the prairies decision never to vote for a Trudeau.

It's easy to get elected on promises of weed and proportional reform, it's harder to actually follow thorough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yes, just replace your arrows with "scandal" which is the only thing that moves the process along.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Following through in your electoral promises is actually extremely easy when you have a large majority government

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hexigrammus posted:

Another reminder that anything east of Spuzzum is beyond Hope.

Hahaha, yesss Fraser Canyon geography jokes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Following through in your electoral promises is actually extremely easy when you have a large majority government

Look at this guy thinking that handily winning an election after explicitly campaigning on the idea that you will do a specific thing is enough of a mandate to do that thing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

A Typical Goon posted:

Yah but what if you only said those to get elected and cannot fathom having to do anything that might upset the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

A Typical Goon posted:

Following through with electoral promises with a large majority government is extremely easy, unless you're the Liberal Party of Canada.