Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

njsykora posted:

The provisional track map looks cool, going to be mostly outdoor around the building sadly but will go inside for a section in one of the exhibition halls because really, why specify Excel as the location if you're not going inside the center itself. One hell of a spicy pit lane as well.

This is going to be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Dollar Store Monaco.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

tuo posted:

I really dig the DTM Aston Martin. Looks kinda brutal.

That's one really weird looking race car.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WindyMan posted:

This is going to be glorious.

:getin:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Frond posted:

Dollar Store Monaco.

Please! It'd be Poundland Monaco.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

That blind pit exit makes me think its going to be dollar store Macau.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Those switch back hairpins lmao

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

That blind pit exit makes me think its going to be dollar store Macau.

The cars don't pit during a race these days, it should be fine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also I just realized that World Challenge isn't running the GT3 cars at St Pete or Long Beach at all, what the gently caress is this dogshit. GT4 (old GTS) only at both venues. Looks like Ratel wants them to headline all of their dates. I like the series and its fun, but this has the trappings of a disaster. There was like 30 people at COTA, and running dates like 2 weeks before Cup at Sonoma pretty much guarantees it will be a ghost house.

Think this is a big mistake if they want to actually rival IMSA for GT3 team/rich guy interest. Feels like they are gonna regress back to were World Challenge was 10 years ago. I guess last year sorta started that slide already.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 6, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m not sure the rich guys care as much about butts in seats as they do going to good tracks that won’t cost an arm and a leg in damage, will give them track time, and are cool tracks in places they want to go. (Ratel called out Miller in Utah and Lime Rock Park in a recent interview as places his constituents did not want to continue going to).

Ratel’s entire business is running series that keep the rich privateers happy, it’s worked in Europe and it’ll probably be successful eventually in the US. It just won’t have the crowd turnout of IMSA, and it sounds like they’re fine with that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah SRO has never really been about huge crowd attendance, even at their big events you don't usually see even half full stands.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, but i guess my point is that World Challenge got successful and differentiated themselves by catering to the type of rich guys and teams that wanted to actually run in front of people at big events, even if they were in a support role.

If i was a rich dude, their GT4 championship seems better in every way. Bigger fields, bigger events, get to run in Socal and Florida at events with suites/catering and poo poo for my rich friends or clients or whatever, and like half the cost. And if I was set on GT3, I would probably just spend my entire budget and do Daytona and Sebring with IMSA and be in the big show.

I get that the formula has worked other places, but I'm not convinced it will work stateside. So so many GT series have tried it. And its frustrating to see World Challenge, which has been so fun for so long, go down that dark path of overreaching thinking they are a top bill when they just arent.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

My concern would be SRO relying on manufacturers to come out for their series. World Challenge to me has never been a manufacturer driven championship and get more privateers. IMSA is raking in all the manufacturers since they have all the big endurance races while World Challenge has.... nothing unless he wants to sweeten the deal for teams to turnout for the 8 hours at Laguna. Portland last year I loved it since very few people I had to deal with, but the GT3 field was pathetic. I think less than 10 cars in total while GT4 was a healthy field of cars. I wouldn't be concerned if GT3 was more manufacturer centric but most of these guys are privateers that need money and to get that is by exposure and you sure as hell are not getting it here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

My concern would be SRO relying on manufacturers to come out for their series.

Ratel is the guy who said “if you’re not making 25 GT3 cars per year, go race it in GTE/GTLM instead,” and is against manufacturer teams coming in, so :v: For instance: he would’ve probably kicked the Cadillacs out if they were still around in World Challenge, even if that is marketing/“activation” they would lose out on.

IMSA has the manufacturer marketing fee which has kept some people from jumping in (Because who’s going to stump up $1 mil to be the only Bentley GT3 in GTD class) but I don’t think World Challenge does.

[edit] vvvvvvvvvv don't forget the soon-to-come GT2 class, which will be more privateer-focused and less aero-dependent than the current GT3 cars.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 6, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah SRO is all-in on privateers and at best doesn't care about factory teams and at worst actively dislikes them. They don't give a poo poo if manufacturers are around and GT4 as a class right now is basically their current baby outside the main Blancpain GT Series.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

(Ratel called out Miller in Utah and Lime Rock Park in a recent interview as places his constituents did not want to continue going to).

what the gently caress i hate sro now

edit: I'm the guys bitching about Lime Rock but running the loving Las Vegas MS's loving terrible road course

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm really afraid The Bend is gonna end up like Utah, where all the corners just kinda run together and it's hard to tell where the cars are on track from TV

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

(Ratel called out Miller in Utah and Lime Rock Park in a recent interview as places his constituents did not want to continue going to).

fair enough on miller, that place sucks rear end, but you gotta have a special kind of brain damage to not want to go to lime rock park

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fair enough on miller, that place sucks rear end, but you gotta have a special kind of brain damage to not want to go to lime rock park

Rich people I guess?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Its boring

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Crash damage is expensive and LRP causes a lot of it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if lime rock doesnt rock then why does it have rock right in the name will you stop and think for one freaking second

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OhsH posted:

Its boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTltTDsaCtI

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Miller is in the middle of nowhere and I think none of the rich guys wanted to fly to Utah for it. Lime Rock is probably crash damage and bad facilities if I had to hazard a guess.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Crash damage is expensive and LRP causes a lot of it.

Also, you can't race on a Sunday, which means if it's a three-day meeting you need to be there on Thursday, and most WC drivers have day jobs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
So what I'm reading is that these guys want to drive around fancy rear end tracks in their lambos, not actually have any consequences for driving like idiots, and not have to deal with tryhards. Have they not heard of track days?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They want to feel like racing superstars basically. If you ever see a Blancpain silver cup podium its the best snapshot of how these guys see themselves I've ever seen. Going full champagne celebration on a badly lit podium flanked by models with no crowd noise. It's immensely sad to watch but the daredevil globetrotting race driver fantasy is what they're after.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Being on a racetrack with people like Vadim Kogay is about as daredevil as you are going to get for your money.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Cean Canto has posted now his superute onboard and :stare:

https://www.instagram.com/deancanto...GoYTaxcH_fLYzok

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut President posted:

So what I'm reading is that these guys want to drive around fancy rear end tracks in their lambos, not actually have any consequences for driving like idiots, and not have to deal with tryhards. Have they not heard of track days?

They want an organized series and professional standards, including for the tracks, officials and TV broadcasting, but aren’t trying to make it a product for live crowds. And come on, at least they’re better than the tech bros who run track days.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It's hard for some people to understand, but not all racing series cater to spectators as their main customer. Lemons/Chumpcar/WRL/AER's customers are the teams who race in them, not paying spectators. Likewise, SRO's customers are the teams who race in them. People in the stands are a secondary concern.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Please do not associate cool stuff like ChampCar with whatever the gently caress the World Challenge is now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rally Mexico this weekend.

They had to cancel SS1 for safety concerns because they had a terrible jump and Esapekka Lappi almost destroyed his car going full send over it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

drgitlin posted:

It's hard for some people to understand, but not all racing series cater to spectators as their main customer. Lemons/Chumpcar/WRL/AER's customers are the teams who race in them, not paying spectators. Likewise, SRO's customers are the teams who race in them. People in the stands are a secondary concern.

Creventic (24H series) infact some tracks are actually closed to spectators for their events.

Yet they bother to set up a full video production to stream to 800~ viewers :shrug:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
So, Nissan made a front-engined Skyline Group C car;

Being essentially a worked over JTGC Silhouette car it failed spectacularly. You think they would have learned but then 2015 happened.

Later, this much better Group C "Skyline" appeared;

Which would lead to their solid R-series cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

So, Nissan made a front-engined Skyline Group C car;

Being essentially a worked over JTGC Silhouette car it failed spectacularly. You think they would have learned but then 2015 happened.

Later, this much better Group C "Skyline" appeared;

Which would lead to their solid R-series cars.

Yeah, those Nissans in particular weren't for Le Mans or international competition, but at some point in the 1980s they went from Group 5 rules to the All-Japan Sports Prototype series using Group C rules, which is where fleets of customer Porsche 956s raced against what Toyota, Nissan and Mazda were also taking to Le Mans.

But holy poo poo let's talk about those painted support vans on dope-rear end little wheels in the background. Surely they've long ago been sent to a crusher but holy poo poo that's peak 1984 Japan right there.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

I was talking about lime rock

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OhsH posted:

I was talking about lime rock

yeah and that was my retort

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Yeah, those Nissans in particular weren't for Le Mans or international competition, but at some point in the 1980s they went from Group 5 rules to the All-Japan Sports Prototype series using Group C rules, which is where fleets of customer Porsche 956s raced against what Toyota, Nissan and Mazda were also taking to Le Mans.

But holy poo poo let's talk about those painted support vans on dope-rear end little wheels in the background. Surely they've long ago been sent to a crusher but holy poo poo that's peak 1984 Japan right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SVUt9hbk

Racing drivers will race anything if it has 4 wheels and an engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SVUt9hbk

Racing drivers will race anything if it has 4 wheels and an engine.

I get what you're saying and trying not to get offended at you excluding motorcycle racers and, frankly, I haven't actually read anything prior to your post. I just wanna post sidecar racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQL3lkxcTJA