Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like the heresy book where the word bearers are fighting the Ultramarines on... Calth I think. And the loyalist marines and Imperial guard are doing tag team depending on who attacks. The word bearers in turn alternate between traitor marines and cultists.

So when the cultist show up the space marines pull back and the imperial guard move forward. The reason for this was that humans are too small targets for bolter rounds and they just pass through without exploding so it was best to save them for traitor marines.

Pretty sure some writer somewhere is stroking it to all these depictions of how inferior and useless humans at every opportunity. Imperial guard regiments seem to exist mainly for the bad guys to slaughter in comedic ways so the space marines can stand in the background and go "Yeah the whole head, in one bite. These are dangerous Xenos so watch yourself initiate"

Katt fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Finished Andy Chamber's Survival Instinct from the first Necromunda Omnibus. It was a really interesting look at Mad Donna and at the house structure. It's like 15 years old so I have no idea if it's still canonical in Nottingham but it meshes with how I feel like Necromunda should work, politically? It also avoided making her too Barb Wire which I'd suspect is a big temptation?

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED LISTENING TO MY BOOK REPORT AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED GIVING IT. THANK YOU.

E: And any 40k book without Spess Mehreens automatically goes up a quarter grade (or whatever B -> B+ would be, I think percentage-wise the middle half of a grade is the grade, the bottom quarter is the minus and the top quarter is the plus, this was a "High B" which went up to a "B Plus"?)

E2: Next up is Salvation which is :shudder: C.S. Goto :shudder: but I previously started and enjoyed it so maybe it's not going to be so bad?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 2, 2019

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I digitally own all the necromundia books....should I read them?

Also eye of terror is an OG ham book everyone should read

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

I digitally own all the necromundia books....should I read them?

Also eye of terror is an OG ham book everyone should read

I can't speak to all of them but I think Survival Instinct is worth it?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Eye of Terror is one of those old weird trippy 40k books, Ian Watson style.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I picked up a used copy of the Inquistion War omnibus last week and I can't wait to start reading it once I get it. The badcast read a sample of it in one episode and it was just that perfect oldhammer weirdness.
Also one of the few early books that features the Emperor and the Golden Throne as well so that'll be interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really want to get my hands on the Inquisition War again at some point, and couldn't hurt to try find the Necromunda books too. I remember enjoying the Kal Jericho comics at least.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can someone confirm that Commissar Yarrick has been made canonically gay? If so, that's actually pretty great tbh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gay for Ghazzy.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Inquisition War is amazing right up until the ending. I was pissed for days.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

There is an audio drama that covers the interrogation of the human cult leader (that teamed up with them at the end) by the Inquisitor after the events of the book. It's pretty good. Beyond that I am pretty sure Chris Wraight said he is writing a sequel to Carrion Throne at some point.

Audio dramas are the worst :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can someone confirm that Commissar Yarrick has been made canonically gay? If so, that's actually pretty great tbh.

Wow really? That owns.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Biplane posted:

Audio dramas are the worst :(

Nah

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I mean, they might be good, I don't know because I'll never hear them. Can't stand audiobooks in general.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm 120 pages into the Ahriman trilogy and I'm so unbelievably glad I read A Thousand Sons and The Crimson King first. Everything is beautifully coloured by what went before and the pathos just oozes from the pages.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Eye of Terror doesn’t get the old and trippy pass because it came out when we were getting Gaunt and Eisenhorn. It’s not old and trippy, or excused by the lore still being Rogue Trader; it’s just a bit poo poo.

Wraithguard in a bar in the Eye Of Terror, okay?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can tell it's high quality because he never got another full length novel for GW again.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

I mean, they might be good, I don't know because I'll never hear them. Can't stand audiobooks in general.

I feel the same way, but GW audio dramas are different than audio books. The dramas are written specifically to listen to so *in theory* it's better than just having some dude who can do different voices read a book to you.

I did like this one though because I am a huge fan of carrion throne and seeing how the Inquisitor handles it is interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Replaying Dawn of War Retribution has put the War of the Beast books into sharp relief. Grimdorks are not fun at all, while space pirate orks with a penchant for fancy hats and hiding in lava are amazing.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Plavski posted:

I'm 120 pages into the Ahriman trilogy and I'm so unbelievably glad I read A Thousand Sons and The Crimson King first. Everything is beautifully coloured by what went before and the pathos just oozes from the pages.

This this THIS. Knowing the world from Ahriman's view makes everything so much better. Like, do you know who you're talking to here?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I'm almost finished Only in Death... was/is Abnett just on a really big "Here is a really hosed up place" kick? Hinzerhaus, the Witch House and the Door to Many Places, Queen Mab...

Don't get me wrong, 40k novels need MORE "here is a place so touched by the warp that the rulebook was thrown out the window", just Only in Death feels like the Ghosts wandered into an Eisenhorn/Ravenor novel.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

The most common description I've seen is that they're caseless, and that the ejection ports are just to let out gas and prevent it ruining the magazine feed, but the actual calibre varies wildly from source to source.

There's plenty of art with spent brass:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

There's plenty of art with spent brass:

There's also things like this being the standard bolter back in the day.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Inconsistencies?

In 40K?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

There's also things like this being the standard bolter back in the day.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Randalor posted:

Don't get me wrong, 40k novels need MORE "here is a place so touched by the warp that the rulebook was thrown out the window", just Only in Death feels like the Ghosts wandered into an Eisenhorn/Ravenor novel.
In the author's introduction to the omnibus The Lost, Abnett mentions how he's written most of the Ghosts stories in a house haunted by an actual ghost. (He calls him The Hussar. According to Abnett, the Hussar is "not any trouble to live with".)

Dan Abnett posted:

[Only in Death is] a ghost story, you see. It's a ghost story about ghosts. It's a haunted house story. They always say, write what you know. Well, this is where I live, and this is what I know. Location informs the creator.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

In the author's introduction to the omnibus The Lost, Abnett mentions how he's written most of the Ghosts stories in a house haunted by an actual ghost. (He calls him The Hussar. According to Abnett, the Hussar is "not any trouble to live with".)

Huh. My copy of The Saint, The Lost and The Victory pt1 don't have author introductions. They're the new releases of the omnibuses, did they just stop including them?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Randalor posted:

Huh. My copy of The Saint, The Lost and The Victory pt1 don't have author introductions. They're the new releases of the omnibuses, did they just stop including them?
Apparently! The various Abnett-related omnibuses I own (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, The Founding/Saint/Lost) all have them, but they're 7+ years old. It's a shame if BL decided to drop them, they were fun little reads.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The full image of that one also has them firing. That one is actually the old Rogue Trader Space Marines box set bolter, the first ever plastic marines. Might even be the first ever plastic model GW made at all actually. Nice retro callback in the art.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

I’m the barrel that is only 1/5 of the length of the overall bolter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who needs a long barrel when you have the magical power of gyrojets! : science:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Randalor posted:

So I'm almost finished Only in Death... was/is Abnett just on a really big "Here is a really hosed up place" kick? Hinzerhaus, the Witch House and the Door to Many Places, Queen Mab...

That Witch House scene ruled.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Buried Dagger just got released on Audible. With zero notice, sort yourself out BL.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It'd been on pre-order for a week?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Going in with The Buried Dagger, Shallow's previous works don't exactly fill me with confidence, though.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Which books deal directly with Guillimans return? I'm hoping they're decent but desperate enough not to care.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Which books deal directly with Guillimans return? I'm hoping they're decent but desperate enough not to care.

Dark Imperium and Dark imperium: Plague War.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Also Watchers of the Throne, right at the end.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Was Blood of Iax any good? I tried to start it and felt like I couldn’t do it, but that may be because I had just finished Honour and Iron and was going into Ultramarines overdose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Dark Imperium and Dark imperium: Plague War.

Thanks. I just finished watchers of the throne and it got me hooked