Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:o

Hamill as Vecna would be outstanding. Hamill playing a bit part on Critical Role tho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's interesting to me is reading that Travis and Sam both went out to a bunch of pitch meetings, and that Titmouse had been trying to do a D&D cartoon for ages. Although one imagines a lot of what they heard was 'we have something like it already in development, which was most likely not true.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

thespaceinvader posted:

:o

Hamill as Vecna would be outstanding. Hamill playing a bit part on Critical Role tho...

I imagine Vecna would be similar to Fire Lord in Last Airbender (also voiced by Hamill)? Kind of a bit part, but always in the background, plotting, scheming, etc.

e: yeah according to IMDB he was only in 11 episodes of Avatar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder how much people watching the cartoon might think it's a ripoff of Adventure Time.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dawgstar posted:

What's interesting to me is reading that Travis and Sam both went out to a bunch of pitch meetings, and that Titmouse had been trying to do a D&D cartoon for ages. Although one imagines a lot of what they heard was 'we have something like it already in development, which was most likely not true.

I got the impression there was interest, but the investors wanted more control than the crew was willing to give. They don't outright say so, but it's sorta implied. The cast wants the show to be R rated, which is probably a hard sell. Especially given how awful the movies were.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
It has to be TV-MA... I don't want them to have to cut Scanlan's Scrying Poo scenes, those are really important to his character development, and also poop.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder how much people watching the cartoon might think it's a ripoff of Adventure Time.

I'd be shocked if it even remotely resembles Adventure Time.

Finster Dexter posted:

It has to be TV-MA... I don't want them to have to cut Scanlan's Scrying Poo scenes, those are really important to his character development, and also poop.

If it actualyl comes out on TV, sure, but I'm assuming it'll be a web series of some sort. But yeah, it needs to have a hard R. They swear a lot, gently caress a lot, and chop things into mincemeat a lot.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
In their Q&A they specified that it was going to be oriented "for adults", though they didn't specifically say R rating. But Matt stressed it was going to be a "do your homework before letting your kids watch" sort of deal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

In their Q&A they specified that it was going to be oriented "for adults", though they didn't specifically say R rating. But Matt stressed it was going to be a "do your homework before letting your kids watch" sort of deal.

I'd think it's on the level of Disenchantment at least.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Grog rips a creatures head in half in the little teaser intro they did. It's not super graphic, but it's definitely noticable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There's a decent amount of blood too, but it's purple so it's presumably accounted to be less graphic or whatever.

Thinking about it, I wonder why Vecna would even be in it, he's not reevealed to be the ultimate villain til at least halfway through the youtube campaign, and this is before that.

Looking at the title crawl cinematic, I'd be surprised if this isn't the period of the show leading up to the first character death of Pike, killed by the Glabrezu at the end.

And it's interesting that they seem to have quietly but completely written out Tiberius.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a decent amount of blood too, but it's purple so it's presumably accounted to be less graphic or whatever.

Thinking about it, I wonder why Vecna would even be in it, he's not reevealed to be the ultimate villain til at least halfway through the youtube campaign, and this is before that.

Looking at the title crawl cinematic, I'd be surprised if this isn't the period of the show leading up to the first character death of Pike, killed by the Glabrezu at the end.

And it's interesting that they seem to have quietly but completely written out Tiberius.

The “Hamill for Vecna” thing got tossed out by chat in a Q&A stream when they were talking about dream VOs to get into the project. I’d be kind of surprised if Vecna was in it at all—they’ve confirmed the animated show(s) will be an entirely new adventure, set after they killed the Glabrezu and saved the Tal’dorei family. Basically it’s a new adventure set during a downtime gap they had after that, and just before they started streaming the first campaign.

Besides, it’s clear that Hamill should voice Trinket, the bear.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

thespaceinvader posted:

According to a friend who's way more in the know, Tiberius' player was a rules-lawyering dick who kept trying to put real-world physics in the game and do the typical "shotgun wizard ruins everything" maneuever as a sorcerer. At one point he tried to build a death ray out of mirrors and light sources. He left the party and the show when his metagaming set up a device where an old woman was killed in public on the street as a result. Clashing with the tone of the show and with the party resulted in him leaving and more or less trying to insist things that happened off-screen were canon, namely sex with a NPC. Mercer's response was more or less "none of this is canon, go away". Also the player tried to start his own series with Tiberius as the focus called Draconian Knights and had art commissioned of things he insisted were canon, namely sex with aforementioned NPC.

So he's no longer part of the show and the parting was not exactly amicable as a result. Complicating ever referencing/using the character again is that his player, Orion Acaba, has admitted to domestic violence and been accused of sexual assault. By my friend's metric, because CR and Mercer were responsible for Acaba leaving because he was a problem, they don't want to include any hint of him to begin with because they already don't like addressing the whole thing and are trying to keep the severance polite.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

To be fair its dnd tradition to quietly pretend abusers were never there.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hostile V posted:

According to a friend who's way more in the know, Tiberius' player was a rules-lawyering dick who kept trying to put real-world physics in the game and do the typical "shotgun wizard ruins everything" maneuever as a sorcerer. At one point he tried to build a death ray out of mirrors and light sources. He left the party and the show when his metagaming set up a device where an old woman was killed in public on the street as a result. Clashing with the tone of the show and with the party resulted in him leaving and more or less trying to insist things that happened off-screen were canon, namely sex with a NPC. Mercer's response was more or less "none of this is canon, go away". Also the player tried to start his own series with Tiberius as the focus called Draconian Knights and had art commissioned of things he insisted were canon, namely sex with aforementioned NPC.

So he's no longer part of the show and the parting was not exactly amicable as a result. Complicating ever referencing/using the character again is that his player, Orion Acaba, has admitted to domestic violence and been accused of sexual assault. By my friend's metric, because CR and Mercer were responsible for Acaba leaving because he was a problem, they don't want to include any hint of him to begin with because they already don't like addressing the whole thing and are trying to keep the severance polite.

Yikes, never knew the abuse part. Always thought it was because he was a drug addict and huge rear end in a top hat (and also he would fudge his rolls constantly which I realize is not nearly as sinister as the rest but y'know).

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

He was/is apparently really erratic, and at one point went on a big rant accusing the CR team of kicking him due to anti-semitism and bias against his HIV positive status. He's also periodically posted big apologies and blamed his behavior on substance abuse problems and medical issues (he also had cancer at one point). I know there's been other stuff, his whole Tiberius fanfic radio drama thing got kickstartered and then petered out, and there was some weird poo poo about running a charity stream for someone without asking her permission and then maybe not giving her the money? Its all weird and convoluted and scummy, so I can understand why they don't want him involved in any fashion.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like there was some valid discontent on twitter about the success of the Critical Role kickstarter feeding back into what's already the most successful and pervasive tabletop RPG, so the writer for the campaign setting, James Haeck, started a twitter thread and promoted a hashtag for people to support diverse/indie games:

https://twitter.com/jamesjhaeck/status/1102946733074472960

Matt Mercer retweeted it for promotion and stuff, too.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looks like there was some valid discontent on twitter about the success of the Critical Role kickstarter feeding back into what's already the most successful and pervasive tabletop RPG, so the writer for the campaign setting, James Haeck, started a twitter thread and promoted a hashtag for people to support diverse/indie games:

"link in comments" is a terrible way to promote things.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

slap me and kiss me posted:

"link in comments" is a terrible way to promote things.

It is, yeah, especially for a group that's been seriously lagging when responding to requests for more diversity in their AP group and whom they support. He does link a few minority creators in subsequent tweets on the thread at least some of whom were openly talking about what bothered them about the success of the kickstarter the past few days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, in the last couple of episodes with Acaba you can see how sick of him the other players are. There's the whole thing where he tried to solve the game problem by writing his father and asking for an army (and Matt as his dad wrote back 'you're a kid and don't know what you're doing') and then taking for ages on a shopping trip that was just focused on himself. At one point Laura-not-quite-as-Vex starts snarking on him and Travis just looks like he's grinding his teeth. Also Acaba kept 'conveniently' forgetting how his magic items worked in his favor. He's every bad player I've ever known, sometimes two at once.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The thing about the Critical Role Kickstarter doing so well is that most of the discourse isn't even about CR. It's about the fact that they got overfunded to such a degree right after a bunch of lesser known creators were being put under a microscope over proposing minimum standards for pricing and compensation.

If the tabletop community hadn't just gotten done talking about how expecting money for your work is unrealistic a bunch of nerds putting $100+ into Critical Role wouldn't have even been a thing imo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like how he didn't even try to exclude D&D content.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

King of Solomon posted:

I like how he didn't even try to exclude D&D content.
I mean, indie D&D modules are a thing. I'm not sure why he'd want to exclude them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, indie D&D modules are a thing. I'm not sure why he'd want to exclude them.

Nuns with Guns posted:

discontent on twitter about the success of the Critical Role kickstarter feeding back into what's already the most successful and pervasive tabletop RPG

This is why.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Fair enough, I guess, but I'd rather not exclude indie creators just because they've chosen the largest possible marketplace to sell their wares in

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
If you’re on twitter, check out #FundDiverseGames, it’s a real hashtag and I think a legitimately important one for the industry. There’s a lot of underrepresented and marginalized designers on there and they’re making good stuff that is worth checking out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elephant Parade posted:

Fair enough, I guess, but I'd rather not exclude indie creators just because they've chosen the largest possible marketplace to sell their wares in

Nine times out of ten, I'm with you all the way. I just think that, given the context of the backlash specifically relating to the fact that it's D&D, maybe they should be trying to draw attention to games and modules that have nothing to do with D&D?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yikes, never knew the abuse part. Always thought it was because he was a drug addict and huge rear end in a top hat (and also he would fudge his rolls constantly which I realize is not nearly as sinister as the rest but y'know).

Yeah, I never knew that bit either.

It's a shame, because I think Tibs was a fun (and at times highly entertaining) character, it's just a shame he was played by a jerk.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Razorwired posted:

The thing about the Critical Role Kickstarter doing so well is that most of the discourse isn't even about CR. It's about the fact that they got overfunded to such a degree right after a bunch of lesser known creators were being put under a microscope over proposing minimum standards for pricing and compensation.

If the tabletop community hadn't just gotten done talking about how expecting money for your work is unrealistic a bunch of nerds putting $100+ into Critical Role wouldn't have even been a thing imo.

Well, I would think part of it is they have provided hundreds of hours of free high quality entertainment and some people will back this for that reason alone, as a way to give something back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I never knew that bit either.

It's a shame, because I think Tibs was a fun (and at times highly entertaining) character, it's just a shame he was played by a jerk.

Somebody put it best in the Actual Play thread that Orion was the table's Cat Piss Man and they eventually got smart and booted him.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I think the folks who are salty about the success of the kickstarter need to keep in mind that probably a majority of the fanbase doesn’t play RPGs. Undoubtedly tons of people have tried D&D because of it, but the show has a much broader fanbase than just RPG geeks. I know in my own experience, even as someone who plays and loves D&D, I wouldn’t have checked it out if I didn’t already love Laura Bailey, Matt Mercer, Liam O’Brien, Sam Riegel, Travis Willingham, and Ashley Johnson as voice actors (Taliesin Jaffe and Marisha Rey are amazing and wonderful, but I didn’t know their work prior to CR). There’s a huge market, especially of anime and video game fans, who have no relation to typical RPG consumers, that CR is drawing on here.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's probably better to compare it to the success of other nerd-adjacent TV and movie kickstarter projects, like Bring Back MST3K and the Veronica Mars movie, which pulled similar numbers, though admittedly not as fast.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

I mean, I don't really see CR's success and small tabletop producers struggling to pay a good wage as particularly cognitively dissonant. CR's gotten 36,000+ people to buy into their product. Monte Cook has a devoted following and has demonstrated that following is not as sensitive to price point as the market as a whole. They're well known and established products. Many other RPGs are...not. Which sucks for the creators of those RPGs, but isn't particularly different from a new fiction writer or comic book artist struggling to develop a following. Capitalism sucks in general, but its not unusually worse in this instance than in other forms of entertainment.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desiden posted:

I mean, I don't really see CR's success and small tabletop producers struggling to pay a good wage as particularly cognitively dissonant. CR's gotten 36,000+ people to buy into their product. Monte Cook has a devoted following and has demonstrated that following is not as sensitive to price point as the market as a whole. They're well known and established products. Many other RPGs are...not. Which sucks for the creators of those RPGs, but isn't particularly different from a new fiction writer or comic book artist struggling to develop a following. Capitalism sucks in general, but its not unusually worse in this instance than in other forms of entertainment.

I mean, the issue isn't one of struggle to get a following, it's an issue of struggling to get people to not blanch at paying a fair wage for work. The crux of the issue doesn't seem to be "Critical Role is more popular than I am and that's unfair," it's that CR made four million+ dollars in a day like a week after a bunch of folks were being lectured by nerds as to why asking for the princely sum of ten cents a word was too demanding. It shows that actually the money to pay people reasonable amounts of money for their work in the tabletop and tabletop-adjacent spheres exists after all, which suggests that the people hemming and hawing at writers and designers being paid more than a few cents a word are actually just cheapskates instead of savvy economists.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, the issue isn't one of struggle to get a following, it's an issue of struggling to get people to not blanch at paying a fair wage for work. The crux of the issue doesn't seem to be "Critical Role is more popular than I am and that's unfair," it's that CR made four million+ dollars in a day like a week after a bunch of folks were being lectured by nerds as to why asking for the princely sum of ten cents a word was too demanding. It shows that actually the money to pay people reasonable amounts of money for their work in the tabletop and tabletop-adjacent spheres exists after all, which suggests that the people hemming and hawing at writers and designers being paid more than a few cents a word are actually just cheapskates instead of savvy economists.

A good take

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Customers pay for value, not labour, and the value of a passive piece of entertainment is much more strongly guaranteed than that of a social one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

Customers pay for value, not labour, and the value of a passive piece of entertainment is much more strongly guaranteed than that of a social one.

it's almost like there's a concept in economics describing how the price of a good should be set as a function of the labour that went into it???

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

Hey look and now it's happening like clockwork all over again, who could have guessed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Art isn't fungible and aesthetics doesn't reduce to effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's weird cause like if I buy a show I can watch the show I know that, but if I buy like a book of monster stats I dunno I'll probably never get to use most of these if any and I can just type numbers into stat fields so whatever??