Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Democratic Pirate posted:

Clever coffee dripper for me:
-pour in water to kettle and heat to 202
-while water heats, weigh out 20g of coffee and grind
-put filter in CCD. Once water is hot, pour a bit around the filter to wet it.
-drain that water and put coffee in CCD
-pour a bit of water to bloom the coffee (sometimes I skip this step)
-drain the blooming water and pour in 330g of coffee. Stir
-set timer for 3 mins, drain into coffee cup
-throw filter away, rinse CCD, enjoy coffee

Takes barely any time and no effort to clean up

You drain the water you use to bloom? Into your cup or down the drain?

I use a Clever at least once a day, never heard of draining in between the bloom and the standard pour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I drain it down the drain, but I skip the blooming step 90% of the time and just pour all the water in at once. Tastes great either way :shrug:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

You do you, but for most people the best flavours in coffee are highly water soluble and you're pouring them down the drain if you get rid of that bloom

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Yeah, blooming is done to get as much out of the coffee, not rinsing unwanted things from the beans.

Keep it all in the cup!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The way to get the best advice is to post something wrong on the internet :downs:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lately I've been using my roommate's Capresso and it's pretty great, so I've kind of been neglecting my CCD, but are those measurements for a regular size Clever or a large?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A large; the measurements max out a small. The top touches the coffee and it’s very easy to spill. I’m guessing 280-300ml water and your preferred ratio of coffee would probably be better for a small.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

McStephenson posted:

Yeah, blooming is done to get as much out of the coffee, not rinsing unwanted things from the beans.

Keep it all in the cup!

I'm not certain blooming is even really necessary given that CCD is an immersion method; you can assume that all of the grounds are fully saturated by water. But hey, it's tradition, and it looks cool!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most recipes I see for French Press also recommend a blooming period so I guess it couldn'lt hurt to do it with the Clever as well.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Even in an immersion brewer blooming will help you get the best, most even extraction you can.

I think if you're going to skip the bloom you just want to make sure you stir or agitate the coffee some after you've added all your water.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Wirecutter says that the new Breville Bambino is a great espresso machine for beginners. It's $500, has a legit milk frother in manual or automatic mode, and it can heat up to do a shot in 3 seconds. It's tiny too, looks like the size of a nespresso machine. Anyone want to be a guinea pig and try it out? I want one but I have to get rid of my lovely Gaggia first.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The Wirecutter says that the new Breville Bambino is a great espresso machine for beginners. It's $500, has a legit milk frother in manual or automatic mode, and it can heat up to do a shot in 3 seconds. It's tiny too, looks like the size of a nespresso machine. Anyone want to be a guinea pig and try it out? I want one but I have to get rid of my lovely Gaggia first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdB85zNCCQ

I mean, they're trying to sell them, but you get to see the machine and Gail talks about it in the SCG video. Looks decent for the price, but definitely doesn't have all the bells of a more expensive super.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jhet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdB85zNCCQ

I mean, they're trying to sell them, but you get to see the machine and Gail talks about it in the SCG video. Looks decent for the price, but definitely doesn't have all the bells of a more expensive super.

Yeah I stopped watching SCG videos a while back when I saw that even with a Nespresso pod machine or a lovely grinder they’re like “hey not bad!!!!!!” I get that they’re a store and sell things but please point me to one critical review of theirs. Like you said they are good to see the features but that’s about it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

For that money I don't see why you wouldn't just get a Rancilio Silvia and not take the chance.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

nwin posted:

Yeah I stopped watching SCG videos a while back when I saw that even with a Nespresso pod machine or a lovely grinder they’re like “hey not bad!!!!!!” I get that they’re a store and sell things but please point me to one critical review of theirs. Like you said they are good to see the features but that’s about it.

They do have cons on their webpage, but the videos don’t get hard into them. So I’m with you on that. I just haven’t seen anyone else use it.

Machine itself is still a pressurized portafilter, so for $500 I’d buy another Silvia.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jhet posted:

They do have cons on their webpage, but the videos don’t get hard into them. So I’m with you on that. I just haven’t seen anyone else use it.

Machine itself is still a pressurized portafilter, so for $500 I’d buy another Silvia.

I didn’t know they listed cons, so that’s good at least.

I remember watching two videos:one of a lovely cheap espresso machine under $300 and then a high end model over 4K-the reactions when they tasted the shot were identical.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nephzinho posted:

For that money I don't see why you wouldn't just get a Rancilio Silvia and not take the chance.

Wirecutter says

"The Rancilio Silvia made the best shot we were able to get from any machine we tested in 2016. But it’s much harder for a beginner to master. At around $700, it also costs much more than either the Gaggia Classic or the Bambino. It’s a good machine for someone with more experience, but we wouldn’t recommend it for someone just starting out."

I like the part where the Bambino is supposedly easier to use and has the temp control stuff. Don't you need to keep the Silvia running for like 20 minutes before pulling a shot? The Breville also comes with a 2 year warranty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s harder to master in that you have to learn how to use it? It doesn’t have a pressurized portafilter so your do need to know how to grind beans properly, but you should know how to do that for any of the machines.

Mine takes about 3 minutes to heat up well enough to start making a coffee, but it takes a couple more for frothing. It’s not a push-button, get coffee machine, but will make better coffee once you learn how to use it. It fits the time I have to make coffee in the morning.

Maybe that’s not for you and you want a superauto and that’s fine. I’m not sure if that Breville will do it for you or not, but there’s a reason the superautos are more expensive and while this new one has cool things attached, you give up quality in the extraction for the smaller price tag.

Either way you go, it’s good to do your research and know what you have time to do and what parts you care most about. I will say, it appeared to make a lot of foam in that demo, but you can’t see the quality of it. It’s really probably going to be good enough for most people, but not coffee crazies. It’s not really a machine for them anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't seen the video but I tend to take the Wirecutter articles seriously because they test a lot of stuff before recommending a product. Granted they usually only recommend something available on Amazon to get a commission but you can find 90% of stuff there. It's not a superauto, you still need to grind your own beans.

quote:

The Breville Bambino Plus was the easiest to use of all the machines we tested, and its consistent shots and capacity to efficiently steam finely textured milk make it the most powerful, dependable, and fun machine we tested under $900. It comes with a steam pitcher large enough for a latte, a comfortable tamper, and two dual-wall baskets for the portafilter. Setup was straightforward, and despite its small size, the Bambino has a 1.9-liter water tank that can yield around a dozen shots before it is necessary to refill.

The beauty of the Bambino’s performance is the combination of simplicity and unexpected power, enhanced by a rather elegant aesthetic. Owing to its PID control, which helps regulate the water temperature, and Breville’s speedy “ThermoJet” heater, it maintains a consistent temperature for multiple shots and requires almost no wait time when switching over to the steam wand after pulling a shot. We were able to make a complete drink from grinding to frothing milk in barely over a minute, faster than most other models we tested.

When it comes to making milk drinks, the Bambino’s steam wand created delicious, uniform froth with unexpected speed, thus ensuring the milk didn’t overheat. It’s a clear step up from most others we tested—only the Breville Touch offers a little more power and control. Compared to the Breville Infuser, our previous pick, the Bambino is a remarkable improvement. While the Infuser remains a solid machine, its steam wand isn’t nearly as potent, and the shots just didn’t pull with the consistency demonstrated on the Bambino. The contrast with the Gaggia Classic’s steam wand is even more pronounced; the Bambino comes much closer to replicating the control and precision that professional baristas master on commercial models.

Those who already have some experience should be able to manually steam milk nearly as well as a trained barista on a professional machine. But there’s also an exceptionally good automatic steaming option which allows you to adjust both milk temperature and froth to one of three levels. While I prefer manual steaming for greater control, the automatic settings are surprisingly accurate, and they’re useful for entertaining a group of friends or if you’re a beginner looking to develop your latte art skills.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a baratza virtuoso grinder. It does good work - mainly used for Chemex and Cold Brew. However, the chaff from the grinds gets everywhere when I pull the bucket out and it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait or if I knock the top or try to wet the sides etc. It's really irritating. Is this just a fact of life?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bought an Oxo drip "pour over" machine to replace my bonavita that wasn't getting hit enough anymore.

I have to say, on the pro side, it does bring a lot of the pour over taste. Nice, complex, really great for a drip machine.

Con? Seattle and other reviewers like Wirecutter say it's a 9 cup machine, but it's 9 4.5 ounce cups, where the standard is 5. So, 40.5 ounces for the full pot versus 40. Seattle even says it's 5 ounce cups in their video.

Not that big of a deal, but you'd think it would be something coffee review sites would note.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The biggest issue I see with the Wirecutter's Breville recommendations is that they apparently didn't bother researching the repairability of each brand. Service on a Gaggia or Silvia can be had at just about any independent espresso machine repair shop (there are dozens of us. dozens!!), and you can even buy all the parts online yourself if you're handy. If you've got a broken Breville your only option is to ship it to Breville themselves (while also paying several hundred dollars up front for the privilege), and they either send you back your machine refurbished or another of the same model. Until they decide not to service that model any more, which from what I've seen is 2-3 years past the warranty period (so 4-5 total years of coverage for repair), and then you're stuck with a dead machine. Yeah they got a lot of nice features for the price, but just about any other decent machine will last you 10-20+ years and can make just as good of a shot with a little practice.

torgeaux posted:

Seattle and other reviewers...
"Seattle Coffee Gear", or SCG for short please. Seattle is the name of a fabulous, coffee-filled city, and it's not even where that business is located. </triggered>

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Lowness 72 posted:

I have a baratza virtuoso grinder. It does good work - mainly used for Chemex and Cold Brew. However, the chaff from the grinds gets everywhere when I pull the bucket out and it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait or if I knock the top or try to wet the sides etc. It's really irritating. Is this just a fact of life?

Have you tried adding water to the beans in the hopper before grinding? One single drop is all you need and it significantly reduces static so the chaff will be less of a problem.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

kim jong-illin posted:

Have you tried adding water to the beans in the hopper before grinding? One single drop is all you need and it significantly reduces static so the chaff will be less of a problem.

Throwing my 2 cents behind this suggestion although it's worth mentioning that getting water on the burrs in your grinder is probably Not A Great Idea.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RichterIX posted:

Throwing my 2 cents behind this suggestion although it's worth mentioning that getting water on the burrs in your grinder is probably Not A Great Idea.

If your burrs don't have oil on them already, the best oil, yuge oil, really smart and knowledgeable oil.....

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I've tried spritzing the beans with a spray water bottle to some success, although I usually don't bother due to :effort:. Seems less likely to get the burrs wet.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Lowness 72 posted:

I got a nice wooden serving tray to keep my grinder and scale on, keeps 99% of the chaff isolated to the tray - makes cleanup super easy! Enough room for my filters in the back, too.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

qutius posted:

I got a nice wooden serving tray to keep my grinder and scale on, keeps 99% of the chaff isolated to the tray - makes cleanup super easy! Enough room for my filters in the back, too.

Ohh that's an excellent idea

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use a cut-up cardboard box as a tray under it for the same reason.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

drat it, my cheap-o Krups 6010 espresso machine finally bit the dust after 5 years. Any recommendations for sub-500$(CAD) espresso machines? I'm currently using a Baratza encore burr grinder.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've been wanting to fine-tune my chemex technique so I watched all of the major tutorial youtubes I could find. I did a pretty unscientific averaging of ratios and timings and I don't know if anyone here would want to see what I found but I also saved my favorite comments:

quote:

"Wait, is this satire or for real?"

"You should do a video for people who don't have beards."

"if my daughter brought home a guy like this I would disown her! lol"

"so it's a drip coffee maker ok"

"That takes longer to make than does me to go to the drive thru... i want my coffee now. Don’t need to wait for the flowers to bloom"

"Just wanted to find out how to make some sweet coffee not get a hipster shoved down my throat...geez..."

What are people clicking on these tutorials for lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I would be interested in your chemex thoughts. I have a six cup and get pretty good results but the batch brew at my local roaster is better than what I make at home which doesn't sound right.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I used to never really use my Chemex, but then I discovered a Sweet Maria's video where they were using V60 filters in their Chemex to avoid the paper taste, and ever since then I've used the same and it makes a drat fine brew that way. The result is a quite balanced cup that is a bit more earthy than what comes out of my V60. They point out that you run the risk of the filter falling through the hole but I've never had that happen making 300-450g cups and I've made it that way a lot the past few months.

For the record, I do 1:15 with a medium-coarse grind (20g coffee/300g water).

Ironically, the people at Metric here in Chicago suggested the opposite last time I visited: trying the V60 with Chemex filters. So I tried that too and it's nice also – a really bright, clean cup. Kind of like a more subdued version of what the V60 normally yields.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Keret posted:

I used to never really use my Chemex, but then I discovered a Sweet Maria's video where they were using V60 filters in their Chemex to avoid the paper taste, and ever since then I've used the same and it makes a drat fine brew that way. The result is a quite balanced cup that is a bit more earthy than what comes out of my V60. They point out that you run the risk of the filter falling through the hole but I've never had that happen making 300-450g cups and I've made it that way a lot the past few months.

For the record, I do 1:15 with a medium-coarse grind (20g coffee/300g water).

Ironically, the people at Metric here in Chicago suggested the opposite last time I visited: trying the V60 with Chemex filters. So I tried that too and it's nice also – a really bright, clean cup. Kind of like a more subdued version of what the V60 normally yields.

I’m gonna have to try swapping filters on my V60 and Chemex now too. That idea hadn’t occurred to me.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mostly I learned that I do a lot of standard stuff but that there are a lot of quirks of technique out there:

-I typically do a 1:15, sometimes more like 1:16 if I'm making a large amount for multiple people who may not find the strength appealing. These videos range from 13.5 (yikes) to 17.5, 16.667 seems to be a popular benchmark

-A lot of people suggest a longer bloom (45 to even 60 seconds) than the standard 30. Another common rule of thumb is for the weight of your bloom water to be double your coffee (as opposed to eyeballing a "just enough to wet everything"). I'm trying this now and I notice that I'm adding slightly more bloom water to hit that mark.

-I've noticed that I prefer a coarser grind on my Encore than almost any tutorial (or Baratza for that matter) recommend. I'm going to experiment with that a bit

-Lots of people put a "divot" or a dimple in the dry coffee to catch the bloom water in a way they think is beneficial. Some people also agitate the bloom with a stirring rod or spoon to break up the "crust" on the surface and to agitate the coffee enough that there are no pockets of dry grounds before your main pour. I don't really go for any of this but some people swear by these techniques. I could be wrong, but if I'm adding a bit more water in my bloom to double the mass I'm even less worried about water coverage

-I think there are as many pour techniques as there are coffee pourers. Everyone seems to agree to not pour directly on the paper but it all goes crazy from there. Concentric circles versus only quarter-width circles, one long pour versus 2 to 4 bursts, wiggling pours, clover pours, avoiding the center versus pouring the last half of your water directly into the dead center. Weird personal techniques abound

-Almost everyone gives the finished product a swirl or a shake and some people give a reason for this but mostly I think it makes you just feel like a coffee scientist to hold the flask up and swirl it and that's okay

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's the best drip with a morning timer that uses the standard cone #4 filters? Going to find myself with less free time later this month.

/e leaning towards https://smile.amazon.com/Motif-Elements-Pour-Over-Coffee-Thermal/dp/B078532RVC anyone have experience with it?

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 5, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's the best drip with a morning timer that uses the standard cone #4 filters? Going to find myself with less free time later this month.

/e leaning towards https://smile.amazon.com/Motif-Elements-Pour-Over-Coffee-Thermal/dp/B078532RVC anyone have experience with it?

The Oxo I just bought fits the bill, but more expensive than that one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

torgeaux posted:

The Oxo I just bought fits the bill, but more expensive than that one.

My brother has that so I know it makes good coffee but a bit afraid by reviews regarding unit life.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I find I get better results with the Chemex when making two cups of coffee. When I'm just making a cup for myself the results are less good; I assume it has something to do with the extraction time. I've tried a finer grind when doing a single cup and it helps a bit.

I tend to use a 1:16 ratio and a medium grind when making the two cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Most mornings I'm content with work coffee or my usual pourover, but hell if sometimes I need a kick to the face. Haven't made moka pot Cafe bustelo in a while, but it really hit the spot.

I used the very exact measurements of "pour coffee in until it's not quite at the top, pour recently boiled water until it's just below the release valve, add sugar and cream until it's right."

Are there any more, um, accurate sizings anyone has, or is that just mostly the way to go?

Would have done the mix the first bit with sugar thing except kids are too demanding.