Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Shop called. That burst hose is apparently one with some pressure sensor on it, so $400 for OEM.
And a lot of labor to take parts off to get access. He's gonna install the hose (once it arrives this or next week) and rerun the diagnostic. At which point there could be more gremlins.
But looking at $1500 to get to that point.

e: oh -- he said that the pump seemed ok from a quick test (pushing fluid to see where the leak was), but no guarantees.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kimbo305 posted:

Shop called. That burst hose is apparently one with some pressure sensor on it, so $400 for OEM.
And a lot of labor to take parts off to get access. He's gonna install the hose (once it arrives this or next week) and rerun the diagnostic. At which point there could be more gremlins.
But looking at $1500 to get to that point.

e: oh -- he said that the pump seemed ok from a quick test (pushing fluid to see where the leak was), but no guarantees.

I think "Just in it for the repair bills" would be an appropriate thread title at this point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey but the two guys through the idle sounded fuckin' awesome.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

As a fellow hydraulic suspension enthusiast, those high pressure pumps reaaaaaaally don't like being run when dry. Have you priced out replacing it now vs later?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grakkus posted:

As a fellow hydraulic suspension enthusiast, those high pressure pumps reaaaaaaally don't like being run when dry. Have you priced out replacing it now vs later?

What's the failure mode? Does metal break apart? Or does it die? I asked Nick what should be getting replaced as long as everything is off, but he was noncommittal. Not sure how much needs to get buttoned back up to run the diagnostic.

e: now I'm second guessing bringing some fluid, dumping it into the reservoir, and topping it off as I went. It would have been a couple gallons blowing out given how long the car was on.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 30, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Before, I'd always thought of AAA as a get out of jail free card. Sure your car might be unreliable, but you can get it towed.
Now it's clear that there's a lot of gray there. The AAA dispatcher said something along the lines of "there's failures where towing cannot happen without some damage to the vehicle, and AAA might not approve of those tows." I guess unless you have your own tow solution, you're always at someone else's mercy to some degree.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Before, I'd always thought of AAA as a get out of jail free card. Sure your car might be unreliable, but you can get it towed.
Now it's clear that there's a lot of gray there. The AAA dispatcher said something along the lines of "there's failures where towing cannot happen without some damage to the vehicle, and AAA might not approve of those tows." I guess unless you have your own tow solution, you're always at someone else's mercy to some degree.

You can always just take a wheel off and hide it somewhere.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Wrong spot, S65 doesn稚 look like it痴 in that photo.

Also confirmed all those kids are obsessed with your cars.

Also confirmed idle sounds dope. Startup idle is amazing.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What's the failure mode? Does metal break apart? Or does it die? I asked Nick what should be getting replaced as long as everything is off, but he was noncommittal. Not sure how much needs to get buttoned back up to run the diagnostic.

e: now I'm second guessing bringing some fluid, dumping it into the reservoir, and topping it off as I went. It would have been a couple gallons blowing out given how long the car was on.

Blowing gallons of hydraulic fluid all over the road as you go is the approved method for driving cars with damaged hydraulic suspensions :)

Most of the time, the pumps will just grind to a halt, but you do hear some horror stories. Last one I heard was an internal element let go, and created a pinhole leak in the housing that sprayed aerosolized hydraulic fluid everywhere. Guy noticed something was wrong, checked it out and breathed hydraulic fluid, had to go to the hospital. Or parts grenading at 2500psi.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Tandem pump replacement is around $2K from an indy.

Funny thing is they don't crank them out new, they just rebuild them.

AAA never gave me crap towing mine when the suspension failed. I'm afraid you are paying the AMG tax I alluded to earlier.

Was this post meant for this thread? It was in the Merc thread.

Parts to "while you're in there" gathered from the thread:
- might as well do the front pulsation dampener as well. It isn't that expense (compared to rest of the crap) and they all fail eventually.
- the dampener is basically a quick and easy one to replace. It looks like a ball, has a membrane in with one side filled with nitrogen.
- main? high pressure pump

I asked Nick if it was worth replacing hoses that weren't burst, and he seemed to think no

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kimbo305 posted:

Was this post meant for this thread? It was in the Merc thread.

Huh? Geesus there is a hydraulic pump. I gave advice. Never again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Huh? Geesus there is a hydraulic pump. I gave advice. Never again.

Just asking if you'd posted in the wrong thread, since the AAA being hesitant discussion was in here and not the other thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are the pumps rebuilt by indies just because that's cheaper, or because the pumps can't be obtained anymore?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are the pumps rebuilt by indies just because that's cheaper, or because the pumps can't be obtained anymore?

How could parts availability be an issue with Mercedes? It's not that old of a car even.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I致e posted this before but Mercedes will make any part you want or rebuild your whole car if you have the $. They at least used to pride themselves on nothing unobtainable

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Just asking if you'd posted in the wrong thread, since the AAA being hesitant discussion was in here and not the other thread.

Eh sorry, bad day, I apologize.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got a call from Nick this morning, and instead of trying to hear the news over the phone, I biked down to get it in person.
As soon as he saw me, he said, "oh, glad you're here" and proceded to do the sign of the cross on me like an Orthodox priest.

In addition to the burst hose, he replaced pulleys whose bearings were pretty shot (maybe from all the hydraulic fluid).
After buttoning it all up, he tested the system and

Grakkus posted:

You called it -- the pump was not functional, contrary to the e: initial 'bench test' he did.

$1400 for the pump from Mercedes and 10hrs labor. The small silver lining is that Nick's shop is still charging <$100/hr -- just $88.
I'm looking at $3900 for that repair and the already-done hose work, and we'll see if there's more that's needed.

The rotors are extremely rusted, but Nick said to cross that bridge after the car was moving first.

Ready for a dubber meetup:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 14, 2019

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Woof. What's the more expensive version of nickel and diming?

At least after that repair you'll have a well sorted hydraulic suspension that'll last for years, I hope?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's obviously a financial interest in this case in keeping it stock, but i wonder how nicely that system would play with some lowrider pumps and switches.

I mean, $3,900 on a hydraulic system and you can't even three wheel or hop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

At least after that repair you'll have a well sorted hydraulic suspension that'll last for years, I hope?

I have a (well founded, I think) fear that there's a line of things ready to blow up next at <1year intervals.

It's gonna be 2 weeks for Mercedes to ship a part (Nick said maybe it's coming from Germany?) and then I assume more than a week for Nick to line up the shop schedule for 10 hrs of work, and then diagnostics. At which point there could be more issues. It's just a second car, and I don't need it for commuting, but it's obvious how this kind of downtime could turn someone off. I suppose with a dealer that charges $200/hr, you could at least get a loaner car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

There's obviously a financial interest in this case in keeping it stock, but i wonder how nicely that system would play with some lowrider pumps and switches.

Walking out of a MB repair bill for 3,900 feels like you are getting off easy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I'd wager the system is physically capable of those things, if only you could program it properly :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, if the struts can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25-xGcdeHY
You could probably program it to 3 wheel, though not sure how many times before something popped.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

You called it -- the pump was not functional, contrary to the e: initial 'bench test' he did.

$1400 for the pump from Mercedes and 10hrs labor. The small silver lining is that Nick's shop is still charging <$100/hr -- just $88.
I'm looking at $3900 for that repair and the already-done hose work, and we'll see if there's more that's needed.

Condolences.

Bajaha posted:

In my experience, the pumps are pretty bulletproof as long as you don't run them dry. As kimbo has unfortunately learned, the hoses are the primary source of issues, but are luckily relatively easy and cheap to maintain.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grakkus posted:

the hoses are the primary source of issues, but are luckily relatively easy and cheap to maintain.

I've asked Nick multiple times to replace any other hoses if he thinks it would be good prevention, but I think he's looking past that and just trying to get the car running.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wanted to give an no-news-is-good-news update on the 9-5. Outside of a dead battery on the day of my wedding when the car was loaded with 3-400lbs of alcohol and ready to drive to the reception venue, it's been reliable.

The radio doesn't turn on for cold startups for whatever reason, but if you stop and start again, it'll kick on. The click sound for turn signals is on the same circuit, weirdly.
The left rear turn signal bulb burned out. Rather, the plastic base that twists into place with the taillamp assembly was melted. This is a common failure. GM was too cheap to spec an LED for this light, but didn't anticipate an incandescent throwing off extra heat. New $25 bulb cleared that right up.

The suspension is clunky as gently caress, and I assume it's not doing the alignment any favors.
Between possible issues there and the AWD, the steering has a very strong self-centering tendency and overall just feels extremely understeery.
The power comes on a little slow, but it's pretty good. I think it makes a nice, big, relatively quick family car. Not a true sport sedan, but looks good and has some genuine differentiation from a contemporary 5-series or E-class. The 9-5 is bigger than those but smaller than 7-series or S-class.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

kimbo305 posted:

Got a call from Nick this morning, and instead of trying to hear the news over the phone, I biked down to get it in person.
As soon as he saw me, he said, "oh, glad you're here" and proceded to do the sign of the cross on me like an Orthodox priest.

In addition to the burst hose, he replaced pulleys whose bearings were pretty shot (maybe from all the hydraulic fluid).
After buttoning it all up, he tested the system and

The rotors are extremely rusted, but Nick said to cross that bridge after the car was moving first.

Ready for a dubber meetup:

Hmmm, 14 hundred for the pump and $88 an hour for labor, with a German mechanic. I wonder what's going on here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've been thinking about this one for a while -- even though the trunk is powered, it still has gas struts. So if the struts are shot, maybe they don't balance enough to keep the lid up?
This person seems to have run into that issue:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/370094-replaced-trunk-struts.html

Could go super cheap:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Trunk-Lift-Supports-Shock-Strut-Springs-for-Mercedes-Benz-W220-S430-S500-S600-/162484456814

Or get the OEM:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-W220-881-Trunk-Shock-L-R-x2-Gas-Strut-Lift-Support-Absorber/361341395324

In poking around for those, I found that the pump by the battery is for the trunk:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/W220-Mercedes-s500-s430-s600-s55-hydraulic-trunk-lid-pump-strut-00-06-Tested/132892967192

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kimbo305 posted:

The radio doesn't turn on for cold startups for whatever reason, but if you stop and start again, it'll kick on. The click sound for turn signals is on the same circuit, weirdly.

That's because GM runs all of the turn signal sounds, chimes, bells, boops, beeps, warning sounds, etc through the stereo on your 9-5. And most of their other cars of that era (except for Saturns, oddly). So if the stereo isn't working, you don't get your sounds. (no clue why it's not working on the first try though)

If you go with an aftermarket radio, you'll need a Scosche or Metra adapter to keep those sounds working. You can use the non-OnStar harness even if you have OnStar, if you don't care about OnStar functionality. Depending on the year model, it may be dead anyway - GM kept OnStar on analog cellular only for a long time, and even the later CDMA versions will be dead at the end of 2019 (thanks to VZW shutting down their 3G CDMA network). Only the LTE versions (201x and newer) will work after that point.

Be glad they didn't do what they did on the earlier Cobalts - the radio did quad duty as stereo, driver info center, onstar call module, and beep/boop/ding generator.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 20, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I ordered the cheapo struts. Didn't look into how to install them, so hopefully not a huge pita and make me regret it when they give up in 3 months.

STR posted:

That's because GM runs all of the turn signal sounds, chimes, bells, boops, beeps, warning sounds, etc through the stereo on your 9-5. And most of their other cars of that era (except for Saturns, oddly). So if the stereo isn't working, you don't get your sounds. (no clue why it's not working on the first try though)
Weird but not that weird for GM. There's still a separate speaker for the chime sounds in the dash guage cluster somewhere, right? Cuz sounds like clicks confirming button presses in the satnav screen play from (afaict) the dash, not out of the speaker system.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Normally they come from the drivers side front speaker.

The navigation system may be something totally different with its own, uh, clicker, though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Gonna go look at a 2007 s600 on wed because of this thread.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

So what you're saying is you're a massochist and you hate money?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nothing would have dissuaded these people if this thread couldn't.

Shop called Fri morning saying it was done, but I didn't go pick it up because we were supposed to have back to back snows this weekend, with the bigger one overnight tonight.
So I figured I would let them deal with shoveling it out instead of me. I remain extremely wary that it could be all squared away, but sitting around this weekend can see if there's any leaks.

Apparently they're not gonna put the 6.0L twin turbo into S-classes anymore: https://jalopnik.com/dead-the-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-1832832184

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

Apparently they're not gonna put the 6.0L twin turbo into S-classes anymore: https://jalopnik.com/dead-the-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-1832832184
It just mentions the AMG S65, I wonder if they値l still use it in the S600 and the Maybach.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The wording is the current 6.0 in the S-class:
> brings to an end the long success story of the 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine in the S-Class Saloon.

But not clear if Mercedes means all 6.0s or just the M279. I think the interpretation that there'll be a new V12 family is probably right.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

kimbo305 posted:

Nothing would have dissuaded these people if this thread couldn't.

I live in walking distance from my work which is a shop. So i feel like im pretty prepared

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

Don't. Or do.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

I live in walking distance from my work which is a shop. So i feel like im pretty prepared

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said similar words when buying a beat up GM.

Get AAA Plus (100 miles of towing per incident) before buying it. You'll probably need it to tow it home, and they won't do same-day-signup-tows anymore. :haw: