Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wano is weird, maybe it reads better in a lump than week to week? i've been letting chapters pile up since the intermission or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah im not caught up with one piece and i probably never will be until it's done. it's really good, and like, something i'd like to own all of one day, but keeping up week after week sounds like a way to drive yourself mad.

everytime i've seen discussion of past arcs from weekly readers, it's almost always "this arc was long and kinda bad to read" "actually if you read it all at once, it's fine" so im just gonna do that and always be like 20 volumes behind

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Having read Dressarosa in one go yeah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah im not caught up with one piece and i probably never will be until it's done. it's really good, and like, something i'd like to own all of one day, but keeping up week after week sounds like a way to drive yourself mad.

everytime i've seen discussion of past arcs from weekly readers, it's almost always "this arc was long and kinda bad to read" "actually if you read it all at once, it's fine" so im just gonna do that and always be like 20 volumes behind

I feel like that applies to a lot of serialized media that isn't strictly episodic, and I've read authors talk about how they intentionally pace and structure the storytelling in their manga around a volume format, which really makes things kind of awkward if you think about it. Not in any sort of meaningful long-term sense, but it's something that stands out whenever I've reread something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is why dragon ball is still a perfect and pristine manga because toryiama didn't plan poo poo out beyond like two weeks ahead at most

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

this is why dragon ball is still a perfect and pristine manga because toryiama didn't plan poo poo out beyond like two weeks ahead at most
and also forgot everything he did two weeks later

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Clarste posted:

Witch and the Hundred Knight, and its successors including Labyrinth of Refrain, are like if you took all the comedic evil from the Disgaea series and made it actual, viscerally unpleasant evil, but still kept the same wacky tone. It's rather unsettling.

Aww that sucks.

Isnt NIS basically just a publisher now? NISA handles the Atelier and Y's games as well as the ports to Steam but have they made anything new since Disgaea 5 back in 2015?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt NIS basically just a publisher now?

No. Last year NIS put out like ten games of their own. NISA hasn't handled Atelier since uhh...Meruru I think? Ys goes wherever Falcom feels like on a given week but they'll probably end up getting Ys 9.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Tonight on Sports Club, the exciting finale of Saki Achiga-hen, and since that's like an hour and a half by itself probably like One Episode of Yawara. 8PM Eastern
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime
sports, in like 20 minutes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

No. Last year NIS put out like ten games of their own. NISA hasn't handled Atelier since uhh...Meruru I think? Ys goes wherever Falcom feels like on a given week but they'll probably end up getting Ys 9.

Yeah I found a better list of their games. A lot of VN/horror games and a handful of indie Switch games. Apparently they made a sequel to Witch and the Hundred Knight in 2017 that bombed.

I know they said they are done with Disgaea-type games but they always seemed like a sure hit that would fund other projects.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Motto posted:

I feel like that applies to a lot of serialized media that isn't strictly episodic, and I've read authors talk about how they intentionally pace and structure the storytelling in their manga around a volume format, which really makes things kind of awkward if you think about it. Not in any sort of meaningful long-term sense, but it's something that stands out whenever I've reread something.
oh yeah it's def not inherently a one piece problem

this is why i'm never caught up on an ongoing manga

or why i never finish a manga

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like I can't imagine liking comics the way I do and not reading one piece

Even when it fucks up it's so far ahead if everything else that who cares
it helps that op is the only long running battle shonen i'm deeply invested in or i guess the only one where i let the backlog build for a few months then read it in one go when i'm particularly bored

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pacing a manga seems like it would be hell. Especially ones that run on longer intervals like monthlies. Something that feels good reading chapter by chapter can easily feel way too fast when read volume by volume, and the opposite has also been true sometimes in my experience.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

and also forgot everything he did two weeks later

nobody could forget doing lunch

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

nobody could forget doing lunch

seriously!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tien has definitely forgotten doing lunch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure Lunch remembers Lunch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not sure Lunch remembers Lunch

technically the fact that she doesnt is a core component of her character

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
that Tien x Lunch never really happened is a loving crime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A fuckin' crime....

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I keep waiting for a DB Super arc where the ominous villain ends up being Lunch and she did all the evil stuff cause she was sick and tired of nobody returning her calls and remembering who she was.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

mycophobia posted:

that Tien x Lunch never really happened is a loving crime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol that you think anything would break tien and chaiotzu's pure friendship

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tien just makes copies of himself so he can go on dates while looking after his pig and hanging out with chiaotzu

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If Tien had remained chaste he would have been strong enough to remain relevant

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love a boys show

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i never fully got into it but the pre-timeskip stuff is genuinely good

after that it's an incredibly mixed bag and with all that stuff having recency bias in my head, sometimes it's hard to remember the series has more good than bad with awful pacing.
This is the consensus I have had ever since I saw the first timeskip visual. I really lost interest during Dressrosa, which I was initially hoping would be a quick operation but noooooOOOOOOOO

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They're all here!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dressrosa, the arc that has an ending like halfway through but then goes nope and does the birdcage poo poo to stall out the arc even longer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxgJ_8AgQbo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You ever seen the uk zoids comics? Theyre wild

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Super powerful :colbert: husbando move from Shirou.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/kadikadisake/status/1103262042704605190?s=19

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

usuratonkachi

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

usuratonkachi

this will never not be funny

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/555497/1

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've just been rewatching the twenty seconds of fighting in the OP since the new ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At some point I want to catch up to One Piece but for awhile now I've been content with just hitting up the newer movies whenever they come out. They've gotten fairly good at condensing the feel of a proper story arc while only feeling slightly rushed, especially the most recent one.