Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife works for a commercial roofer and pays the guy that replaces the glass on all their trucks. He saw her LS460 and told her to get any chips fixed immediately because to replace it is expensive and difficult.
[e] just checked, anywhere from $1200 to $1500 for OEM windshield replacement holy crap

poo poo the 2007 LS460 I got last August came with a decent sized chip in the windshield, and it's been on my things to do list since I got it. I really didn't think the windshield would be that pricey, I'm definitely going to get a repair guy out soon.

*edit*
Also in terms of home routers, I was going to go full Ubiquiti but then realized their AmpliFi would do all I need. I've been super impressed with it, everything about it works very well, and that's after being the type of user who would insist on control and use Tomato or some aftermarket firmware for years now.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is probably the best cover of any Rage Agaisnt the Machine song you have ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4ywyFXdik

(nope, not overselling it)

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I kind of hate you

But it's an envy based hate, not a personal one <3

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Y'all are makin me see some serious red.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

nnnnngggguuuuhhhhhh

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Had to get the recalled seatbelt sensor in my '01 accord replaced at the Honda dealer yesterday and while they were holding my car hostage I took the Type R for a test drive.

They only let me drive it about a mile because I dumped the clutch and redlined the gently caress out of it the second we came to a straight. I'm pretty sure I scared the poo poo out of the poor salesman.

Anyways yeah it's awesome and I want one which is hosed b/c I'm one of those "I'll never buy a new car" kind of guys generally.

The test drive was a mistake. My credit score cries out in pain.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is probably the best cover of any Rage Agaisnt the Machine song you have ever heard

Vocals are fantastic. There's something off with the guitar's distortion and wah that just doesn't work as well as the original setup, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm gonna argue the vocals are off. That overdriven echo is just... weird.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

They only let me drive it about a mile because I dumped the clutch and redlined the gently caress out of it the second we came to a straight. I'm pretty sure I scared the poo poo out of the poor salesman.

As a former car salesman, you were cut short for being “that guy.” Don’t be that guy, you’re better than that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

I took the Type R for a test drive.

They only let me drive it about a mile [...] I'm pretty sure I scared the poo poo out of the poor salesman.

Must've been a fng, I usually go out with intent to replicate that Camaro hidden camera commercial with the stock car driver and most of em don't show any more concern than 'cops like to camp over there, just ease up for a block'

E: oh and I got one "I know what you want to do at this traffic circle but I'd like to remind you we're on soft winters and I'd rather we didn't smoke them off completely unless you're 100% committed to buying this car"

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 6, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Had to get the recalled seatbelt sensor in my '01 accord replaced at the Honda dealer yesterday and while they were holding my car hostage I took the Type R for a test drive.

Anyways yeah it's awesome and I want one which is hosed b/c I'm one of those "I'll never buy a new car" kind of guys generally.

The test drive was a mistake. My credit score cries out in pain.

If anyone wonders why Honda dealers can be difficult about allowing test drives, see exhibit A.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I work on a beach and your work views are better than mine :v:

Is that the GTO on the left? :swoon:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

keykey posted:

As a former car salesman, you were cut short for being “that guy.” Don’t be that guy, you’re better than that.
I test drove a model 3 a week and a half ago and the salesperson just laughed when I had to merge on to the freeway doing 99. Takes all kinds.

Of course, there's a difference between use and abuse and dumping the clutch is over the line

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

Don't be that guy, you're better than that.
Apparently not.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
better than stalling it 3 times because you havent driven a manual in a while :smithfrog: why no i dont know anything about that

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ilkhan posted:

I test drove a model 3 a week and a half ago and the salesperson just laughed when I had to merge on to the freeway doing 99. Takes all kinds.

Of course, there's a difference between use and abuse and dumping the clutch is over the line

On the Model 3 topic --

With the introduction of the "real" $35k Model 3, I think that's going to seriously hurt the used market and prices are going to be coming down. I can see having a cheap used Model 3. Where the new ones are way too expensive for what feels like a basic econobox, at a particular price, they become super appealing pieces of technology.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there actually going to be a $35k Model 3? Or is it going to be like the "cheap Porsche" thing, where there's like one built to that price, and every single other one in existence has $10k of supposed "extras" that no-one would buy the car without unless it's immediately being stripped for track use?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Is there actually going to be a $35k Model 3? Or is it going to be like the "cheap Porsche" thing, where there's like one built to that price, and every single other one in existence has $10k of supposed "extras" that no-one would buy the car without unless it's immediately being stripped for track use?

There is, but there's also a "plus" version, which lists "premium cloth seats" as one of the upgrades, so the base model might just have lawn chairs.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

There is, but there's also a "plus" version, which lists "premium cloth seats" as one of the upgrades, so the base model might just have lawn chairs.

Base model comes with standard cloth seat. Which seat though :iiam:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Bench seats are making a comeback!"

*Is literally a park bench*

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

InitialDave posted:

The first batch finished production already and you can order one online as we speak.

Used market for 3s is already hurting due to volume and continuous price drops. You can order a P today for what a launch AWD would cost, iirc.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ilkhan posted:

The first batch finished production already and you can order one online as we speak.

Used market for 3s is already hurting due to volume and continuous price drops. You can order a P today for what a launch AWD would cost, iirc.

I'm hoping it somehow pushes the used Model Ss market down too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife works for a commercial roofer and pays the guy that replaces the glass on all their trucks. He saw her LS460 and told her to get any chips fixed immediately because to replace it is expensive and difficult.

She commutes on the interstate and her last car has chips all over the bumper and windshield :ohdear:

[e] just checked, anywhere from $1200 to $1500 for OEM windshield replacement holy crap

You get 1 free windshield a year if you have comprehensive coverage in florida my man.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 6, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

meltie posted:

I'm hoping it somehow pushes the used Model Ss market down too.
Customers in China are pissed Tesla dropped the pricing so much. Like up to $50k off.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

angryrobots posted:

If anyone wonders why Honda dealers can be difficult about allowing test drives, see exhibit A.

keykey posted:

I regret nothing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

cakesmith handyman posted:

I take it they're just not cool with the whole dynamic?

Somehow I missed this. The reason they keep threatening the cops is because they think we are gonna do Bad Things to her and They Know Better.

No, they don't even know the dynamic because they are the kind of family to do whatever they can to make all your life decisions for you. The whole "oldest male makes all the decisions" kind of bullshit that's led to:

Someone being essentially sold off to a cult because the husband was the right color skin and he is a veteran

Someone else buying a car they can't pay for and giving it to grandad in another state to use. Their credit score is in the low 500s and now they can't get an apartment to leave

And my girlfriend being sexually abused for a year and a half because they kept giving her abuser a key while she was in college, and draining her bank account whenever they felt she was going to leave.

So we are a "nice married couple who needs help around the house since my wife is having trouble". I loving hate these people.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah, I'm with you.
Love the extra fuzz on the guitars.

ilkhan posted:

I'm sitting here wondering who is going to buy Teslas in the near future, since you can no longer get a test drive, because they are closing all their storefronts in order to make the $35K Model 3 a reality.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jesus. Good luck. Sounds like you're close to pulling something good out of all that nonsense.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Has anyone bought eyeglass frames online and then had a glasses store put the lenses in? If so, what site? I'm probably just going to re-use the ones I've got now but if I can get some decent quality ones for less than the ridiculous store prices I'd be set.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does anyone know if there are certain insurance companies that are particularly reasonable about people that own multiple cars?

I only drive one at a time (no kids or anyone else driving the two extras) and I think I'm getting hosed by Geico.

I seem to remember adding a second car to my insurance 15 years ago through State Farm and it being super cheap but maybe I only had liability or something on it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

wtf big brother poo poo is this, god drat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

wtf big brother poo poo is this, god drat

Welcome to the cyberpunk dystopia we were promised. Turns out it kinda sucks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Advice time.

GF's car has started getting door dings, basically every morning, from the Tahoe that parks next to her at the complex. Parking is assigned, and no they won't change it. She's got a dozen dings already in a vehicle less than a year old, including one in a spot she already did did fix-it paint over. They started showing up about a month ago, a week after we signed a renewed the lease. We put a note on their vehicle, gone to management who said they'd put a note on the owner's door, poo poo keeps happening. Since we'd like to avoid cutting all the valve stems, pouring sugar into their gas tank, and knocking out every piece of glass on their god drat Tahoe one night, whats the next step?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Remove valve stem caps.

Insert a small piece of gravel into the caps, to push the schrader valve open.

Reinstall caps.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

redgubbinz posted:

Has anyone bought eyeglass frames online and then had a glasses store put the lenses in? If so, what site? I'm probably just going to re-use the ones I've got now but if I can get some decent quality ones for less than the ridiculous store prices I'd be set.

I'm interested in this also. I heard about Warby Parker but wondering if anyone had personal experience with them. I'm way past due for new glasses but lens crafters is so expensive and I'm done with that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I got my last pair from Zenni. $40 all told, and they're pretty comfortable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Advice time.

GF's car has started getting door dings, basically every morning, from the Tahoe that parks next to her at the complex. Parking is assigned, and no they won't change it. She's got a dozen dings already in a vehicle less than a year old, including one in a spot she already did did fix-it paint over. They started showing up about a month ago, a week after we signed a renewed the lease. We put a note on their vehicle, gone to management who said they'd put a note on the owner's door, poo poo keeps happening. Since we'd like to avoid cutting all the valve stems, pouring sugar into their gas tank, and knocking out every piece of glass on their god drat Tahoe one night, whats the next step?

Put a cushion on the side of her car with a gently caress YOU STOP DAMAGING MY CAR YOU CUNTS on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
ziptie a couple washers to the drivline. that'll do er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Advice time.

Document and sue neighbour + landlord in small claims court? At the very least it would force them to address the problem

e: including your attempts to address the issue that have previously been ignored. That's a great paper trail that leads to the question "and how did you respond to this", "uh we did nothing your honor"

mewse fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 7, 2019