Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
If I'm buying an MBA from B&H, it looks like I can add on "AppleCare+ Protection Plan" for $249 dollars directly on the computer or I can purchase "Apple AppleCare Protection Plan Extension for MacBook, MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro & 13.3" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2-Year Extension)" from the extended warranty section of B&H for $239. Is there any actual difference between those? Is it just for B&H to get a free extra $10 for people too lazy to navigate to the other part of the site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

One is serviced by B&H and does not extend your Apple warranty with Apple directly, from what I understand.

The other is an actual extension of your Apple hardware warranty (and phone support) and is serviced directly by Apple.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bergeoisie posted:

If I'm buying an MBA from B&H, it looks like I can add on "AppleCare+ Protection Plan" for $249 dollars directly on the computer or I can purchase "Apple AppleCare Protection Plan Extension for MacBook, MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro & 13.3" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2-Year Extension)" from the extended warranty section of B&H for $239. Is there any actual difference between those? Is it just for B&H to get a free extra $10 for people too lazy to navigate to the other part of the site?

They are the same. Probably a gently caress up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mmmmm, it looks more like a fuckup.

The reality is this:

The standard one year Apple Limited Warranty has been renamed to AppleCare.

The extended warranty is now AppleCare+.

AppleCare+ is different from the older AppleCare Extended Warranty in the fact that it now covers accidental damage incidents.

With AppleCare+, if you bust your screen, or damage the case/enclosure, you will only be charged $99 to replace it.

Any other damage, like liquid poo poo shorting out your logic board, battery, keyboard, etc. the maximum you pay will be $299.

You get two incidents coverage at the above prices, if you gently caress up a third time it's probably back to the bad old days prices..

In the bad old days, if you broke your screen or incurred accidental damage of any kind, you'd have to shell out ridiculous amounts of money to replace the screen, logic board, etc. costing in the range of $700-1500.

AppleCare+ still pretty much pays for itself with the first major repair regardless, even with the new policies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

https://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=850958&MccGuid=e0357137-4c35-49fc-b51a-f49f693ef27e

My micro center is selling the most recent MBA for $200 off. This is the cheapest I've seen so far, I think?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dang don't buy the 128 gig model. I mean drat for $1,000 that's ridiculous.

As an aside: I have a 2012 MBA with 128 gigs and I'm drat glad it has an SD slot.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 6, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The 256gb is $200 more expensive with the same discount.

gently caress you, Apple. An extra 128gb should not cost $200 in 2019.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

So my late 2011 15” MBP appears to have finally poo poo the bed and it’s time to replace it. It definitely had more power than needed, and I’ve shifted most of my computer usage to my iPad Pro but its not quite a full laptop replacement yet. What’s best bang for buck on the Mac laptop front right now? Screen size doesn’t really matter to me as long as its retina, and buying refurbished is fine too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Get a used/Apple refurbished 2015 rMBP.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has Apple solved the stability issues people have been having with the T2 enabled macs yet? Some people claim they have, others say no.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Get a used/Apple refurbished 2015 rMBP.

This look reasonable? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9CR5T60811

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

8GB is OK. 128 GB SSD will be torturous.

I'd splurge the extra $160 and get the 512GB version. (weird the 256GB version is the same price as the 512GB)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA9CR8R55249

Just be aware the warranty is kind of poo poo with Newegg (90 day only)

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd splurge the extra $160 and get the 512GB version. (weird the 256GB version is the same price as the 512GB)

Is there another place that will have a better warranty on a computer this old?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is there another place that will have a better warranty on a computer this old?

Probably not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

At some point Apple will stop pretending and turn into the HDD/RAM reseller they've wanted to be all this time. No other company can command such incredible margins on a single component they didn't even make.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I like Mac Of All Trades. They have a 16gb/256gb which I think it the sweet spot for $1079
https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-2-7ghz-core-i5-retina-early-2015-mf840ll-a-1/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/7yFFBBFqe-E

TLDR: Louis Rossman is a sociopath

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmfao I loving hate that stupid little gently caress.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The best part is 10 minutes in where he affirms that “the word ‘oval office’ doesn’t offend me” but “all those people lining up to get something”(?!) who misuse the word “friend” or “family”.

Like, 1) that’s one hell of a galaxy brain take on a gendered slur

2) did he win the lottery or something we don’t know about? Why does he have lines of people asking him for poo poo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OMFG this one is even better:
https://youtu.be/Sq60ccWHJcQ

How to beat a bully, according to L. Rossman:

1) get shredded. Do whatever you have to do to gain 30lb of muscle ASAP.
2) don’t let anybody ever change or affect your emotional state- customer, lover, friend, enemy, it doesn’t matter. If somebody changes your emotional state, you’ve lost and you will hate yourself.
3) Louis Rossman is in good shape. He’s not gonna brag but he could prolly punch out a few dudes
3) adults don’t care and teachers are dumb, don’t listen to them.
4)as an adult, find your old bullies on Facebook and compare your life to theirs. Louis Rossman doesn’t know about you, but he’s doing pret-ty well compared to some other dudes.
5)If you stay calm, they can’t sodomize you.
6)life doesn’t start fair but it often ends fair ( :psyduck: )
7) did I tell you that Louis Rossman works out every day and looks pretty good? He’s an adult, he doesn’t need to do it, but if somebody shoved him he could prolly knock that jabroni down, you know w’Im sayin?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My old MBP that wouldn't boot anymore also puked out a bulging replacement battery so it's time is officially at an end. Farewell $1 MBP! :froggonk:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's short so that explains a lot of that stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

B&H has the 2017 MacBook 12” for $799

https://slickdeals.net/f/12899227-apple-macbook-12-2017-799?src=frontpage

Only the gold ones, though

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Reminder that you can get 1TB of storage by buying a $20 adapter and a decent NVMe M.2 SSD like an Adata SX8200 / Pro or 970 EVO or Pro for a lot less than what Apple would charge.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Friend of mine has issues with a 2011 13“ MBP shutting down randomly. He gave it to a repair shop and they said it’s a virus, but resetting it didn’t fix anything. Faulty battery?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What is the guess for when the macbook pro will be updated? This fall?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How would you rate the new MBAs that have the retina display? I will need to upgrade my 2012 one eventually.

Do they still have the awful keyboard that breaks all the time? That's honestly the only thing holding me back.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

How would you rate the new MBAs that have the retina display? I will need to upgrade my 2012 one eventually.

Do they still have the awful keyboard that breaks all the time? That's honestly the only thing holding me back.

They have the newest, best version of that keyboard.

Also the display isn’t as accurate out of the box (you could calibrate it) or bright as what ships in the rMB/MBP so keep that in mind if you plan to do photo/video poo poo with it.

Otherwise it’s a major upgrade over the old Air and I personally want one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Edit: poo poo, AT&T farted, double post.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody had any experience filing an extended warranty claim for a MacBook Pro purchased with an American Express? They tack on an additional 2 years of coverage after AppleCare+ expires, so I'm looking at 5 years of coverage for my MacBook Pro. I was just wondering what the process is like - will they just pay the invoice of whatever a repair costs or what?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Have you tried calling and speaking to either American Express or Apple?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

actionjackson posted:

The keyboard still sucks. Buy a keyboard condom, AppleCare, and ditch it right before it goes out of warranty

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Buy a keyboard condom

no

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

B&H has the 2017 MacBook 12” for $799

https://slickdeals.net/f/12899227-apple-macbook-12-2017-799?src=frontpage

Only the gold ones, though

Oh poo poo. drat I missed this. There a good tracker for deals on these?

Also preparing to clear out my old MBP. Have been searching on monoprice for a cable to use to get target disk mode going, is thunderbolt <-> USB-c not a thing? I don’t think target disk mode works over USB.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh poo poo. drat I missed this. There a good tracker for deals on these?

Also preparing to clear out my old MBP. Have been searching on monoprice for a cable to use to get target disk mode going, is thunderbolt <-> USB-c not a thing? I don’t think target disk mode works over USB.

Yeah get the slick deals app and set up an account and make an alert. It works really well. I get alerts when the iTunes movies go on sale and I’ve got some good ones for 4.99.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ScooterMcTiny posted:

You will need one of these plus a thunderbolt 2 cable:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

If you are not ever going to need it for any other purpose, imo you'd be better off spending that money on any USB3 external 2.5" HDD that doesn't have a captive cable, and also buying an ultrashort adapter cable to connect it to USB-C or USB-A (whichever cable doesn't come bundled with the HDD). Then just use time machine to make a backup, and pull stuff off the backup onto your new computer.

p.s. Apparently USB-C Macs can do TDM over a plain USB 3.x connection - they don't restrict it to thunderbolt. That would be perfect for not spending much money, except your old MBP is presumably not USB-C and is the one that needs to be in TDM.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

BobHoward posted:

You will need one of these plus a thunderbolt 2 cable:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

If you are not ever going to need it for any other purpose, imo you'd be better off spending that money on any USB3 external 2.5" HDD that doesn't have a captive cable, and also buying an ultrashort adapter cable to connect it to USB-C or USB-A (whichever cable doesn't come bundled with the HDD). Then just use time machine to make a backup, and pull stuff off the backup onto your new computer.

p.s. Apparently USB-C Macs can do TDM over a plain USB 3.x connection - they don't restrict it to thunderbolt. That would be perfect for not spending much money, except your old MBP is presumably not USB-C and is the one that needs to be in TDM.

The problem is that my current MBP won’t boot up so I need to do target disk mode and it has two hard drives in it and (also with a newborn at home) I don’t really feel like opening it up to get the drives out.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bought a refurbished MacBook Air (2018 model) with 16gigs of ram and the 256gb SSD. Managed to get an extra 17% off through my brother's family discount. This will be the first time I've used an Apple laptop since my white plastic MacBook with Snow Leopard years ago. Is there anything I should do or know about using a modern mac? I'm planning on using it for coding.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

Has anybody had any experience filing an extended warranty claim for a MacBook Pro purchased with an American Express? They tack on an additional 2 years of coverage after AppleCare+ expires, so I'm looking at 5 years of coverage for my MacBook Pro. I was just wondering what the process is like - will they just pay the invoice of whatever a repair costs or what?

I think you call American Express directly for their additional coverage and submit a bill for reimbursement.

And are you sure you get 5 years? I just tried to google an answer and all I found were hopeful hypotheticals. If you go to the AmEx website the wording is they'll double the original manufacturer's warranty. I'm going to guess that does not include extended warranties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gunder posted:

Bought a refurbished MacBook Air (2018 model) with 16gigs of ram and the 256gb SSD. Managed to get an extra 17% off through my brother's family discount. This will be the first time I've used an Apple laptop since my white plastic MacBook with Snow Leopard years ago. Is there anything I should do or know about using a modern mac? I'm planning on using it for coding.

iTerm2
vSSH if you want a tabbed putty style ssh program
Serial if you need do device programming and need to connect to console ports
Scapple for Mind Mapping/Brainstorming
Homebrew if you want an open-source package manager to install all sorts programs
MS VS Code/SublimeText/Atom (I highly recommend PyCharm for python development)
Xcode for sure (make sure you install the command line options)
If you use zsh, I really like oh-my-zsh

If you have the money/get work to pay and you design large scale projects, OmniGraffle might be worth a look for logical diagrams and breakdowns. Think Visio but on the Mac.

I'm mostly a hack together internal tools to automate some of my team's work, so I don't really consider myself a developer (I'm a security engineer and work with network architects and PMs to address security issues related to design and deployment), but I've used all of the above at some point or another.