Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ghost Hand posted:

The main studio is taking over the writing of FW rules. So FW will no longer write the rules and they will be more in line with the rest of the game. That should solve a number of issues. You see it with the Custodes and you will see it with the Mechanicus stuff soon enough.

I know this doesn't mean for Heresy books but I kinda wish it did so they would come out on something approaching a schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/06/mar-6-shadowspear-focus-daemonkin-rulesgw-homepage-post-2/

Not sure I need to mention that the rules article for the Daemonkin is up considering they leaks are in wide circulation but here it is regardless.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Any leaks on points costs yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The MoP is not bad all things considering. A direct upgrade to a basic sorcerer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lmao

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

For_Great_Justice posted:

The MoP is not bad all things considering. A direct upgrade to a basic sorcerer.

I wouldn't say upgrade as he can only take from the Malefic powers and not the Heretic astartes ones, more like a second option. I do agree he's fantastic if you run lots of daemon engines and pictures from the Vigilus previews shows the venomcrawlers with what looks like bale flamers. All together im hoping for venomcrawlers to be cheap so i can run a group of them. What would you call a group of venomcrawlers together.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/06/mar-6-shadowspear-focus-daemonkin-rulesgw-homepage-post-2/

Not sure I need to mention that the rules article for the Daemonkin is up considering they leaks are in wide circulation but here it is regardless.

The Possession psychic power is awesome. The MoP having powers that turn him in to a powerful bubble character for demons and demon engines is a cool spin on the traditional captain-reroll-1s model.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, it's a really good product. Most normal kill team games I've seen had the terrain set up where a long ranged unit can see most of the board. There will be chunks that are obscured, but the snipers can really control the map. In Arena you've typically got multiple isolated areas with objectives so the first thing you have to do is commit your slower shooters. It's less of a brawl and more of a tactical game.

Exactly! It does kind of limit some of the teams you can take (like I said, I'm never running my Harlequins in Arena unless it's some weird scenario I haven't seen yet) but all the missions we've run so far have been great. Plus, they're generally pretty simple to explain so I can get newbies to play. "Oh, don't worry, I can tell you what to roll and when and why you're doing it, but this is what your team is basically trying to do this game." I've got a sample size of exactly one so far but I'm pretty sure that's going to end up being a much, much better way to teach the game than a random deathmatch or whatever. The hallways kind of limit the interactions early in the game and let you explain things as they come up?

Anyway, with the totally-symmetrical terrain (and the fact that the crates already have two different sets of logos) I decided to paint all my Arena stuff with a red vs. blue kind of laser-tag theme, and it owns hard. Not quite sure what I'll do with the doors, but since there's ten of the buggers I know I'm at least going to experiment with different lighting colors/effects and stuff like that.

Is the Commanders expansion book (it comes with a book, right?) the same size as the Arena one? I'm trying to decide if I can/should spiral bind them together. Spiral-binding my core rulebook was a genuinely transformative experience for someone with so many drat giant rulebooks lining my shelves.

e: also I had no idea the maps were double-sided until I opened my own copy and that was just a delightful surprise

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard posted:

I wouldn't say upgrade as he can only take from the Malefic powers and not the Heretic astartes ones, more like a second option. I do agree he's fantastic if you run lots of daemon engines and pictures from the Vigilus previews shows the venomcrawlers with what looks like bale flamers. All together im hoping for venomcrawlers to be cheap so i can run a group of them. What would you call a group of venomcrawlers together.

A colony.

Fair point not an upgrade. Two denials if I saw right is just good for dropping him in a horde of cultists or in cover with marines for denial.

I could see running him with engines no doubt, a small set of crawlers plus anything else. Can it be taken un DG or 1k sons?

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

A colony.

Fair point not an upgrade. Two denials if I saw right is just good for dropping him in a horde of cultists or in cover with marines for denial.

I could see running him with engines no doubt, a small set of crawlers plus anything else. Can it be taken un DG or 1k sons?

They havent said yet but Death Guard have a lot of daemon engines and possessed so it be a shame if they couldn't

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

A colony.

He also regains wounds for successful denies, which could be hilarious against smite heavy armies like 1k Sons.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Wizard posted:

What would you call a group of venomcrawlers together.

A cacophony of crawlers.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nite_moogle posted:

The Possession psychic power is awesome. The MoP having powers that turn him in to a powerful bubble character for demons and demon engines is a cool spin on the traditional captain-reroll-1s model.

Pretty much guaranteed that you'll have to allocate points for models that may never make it onto the table in matched play with possession, but the rest are good.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Strobe posted:

He also regains wounds for successful denies, which could be hilarious against smite heavy armies like 1k Sons.

Is it possible to take him in Iron Warriors for the relic to give him the additional wound restoration?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard posted:

They havent said yet but Death Guard have a lot of daemon engines and possessed so it be a shame if they couldn't

Dg possed would have the resiliant save plus a basic enough invul an strength boost from the greater could be interesting

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Wizard posted:

What would you call a group of venomcrawlers together.

Well, they are spider-like so probably a clutter. A Clutter of Crawlers. Or maybe a Vivesection of Venomcrawlers?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

Pretty much guaranteed that you'll have to allocate points for models that may never make it onto the table in matched play with possession, but the rest are good.

That's what I was thinking too. It'll be fun in the Shadowspear narrative missions but my eyes glazed over when I saw it added a unit.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I really wish they’d rework the daemon summoning mechanic 😐 it’s cute, but it’s never felt useful in a game

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

crazystray posted:

Well, they are spider-like so probably a clutter. A Clutter of Crawlers. Or maybe a Vivesection of Venomcrawlers?

Brood I think, possibly that's for a family unit though. Cluster of Crawlers maybe, but vivesection is probably the winner.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Dg possed would have the resiliant save plus a basic enough invul an strength boost from the greater could be interesting

None of the carry overs from the csm dex get disgustingly resilient sadly. That in mind with cursed earth they have a 4+ invun

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard posted:

None of the carry overs from the csm dex get disgustingly resilient sadly. That in mind with cursed earth they have a 4+ invun

4+ should be enough to keep a decent sized unit going along side Death Guard if they are on foot. Make them target priority those, crawlers, or the DG.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A disappointment of crawlers.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

fashionly snort posted:

I really wish they’d rework the daemon summoning mechanic 😐 it’s cute, but it’s never felt useful in a game

Iirc one of the top lists at lvo was a summoning list. If you can reliably pull it off it's a great toolbox.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm still on the Roboutte train here. 3 predators with R-man is great, but they get targetted down so quickly, I need a way to split my opponent's attention.

I'm considering a 2k mono Ultramarines list, where the opponent really has to decide what to focus and take down.

Roboutte
Techmarine
Chief Librarian Tigurius
Chronus
3x AC/HB Predators
3 Vindicators (yes, I know)
25 Intercessors (10/10/5)
Ancient
Apotechary

I'm still undecided on wether I should spend the 137 points on Apotechary and Ancient (if the opponent focuses my intercessors I've already won) or something else.
The Vindicator stratagem is strong, even though the tanks are bad. Thoughts?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I'm still on the Roboutte train here. 3 predators with R-man is great, but they get targetted down so quickly, I need a way to split my opponent's attention.

I'm considering a 2k mono Ultramarines list, where the opponent really has to decide what to focus and take down.

Roboutte
Techmarine
Chief Librarian Tigurius
Chronus
3x AC/HB Predators
3 Vindicators (yes, I know)
25 Intercessors (10/10/5)
Ancient
Apotechary

I'm still undecided on wether I should spend the 137 points on Apotechary and Ancient (if the opponent focuses my intercessors I've already won) or something else.
The Vindicator stratagem is strong, even though the tanks are bad. Thoughts?

The vindicator strategem is actually not great, and the tanks are bad. As are predators. In general, not getting chapter tactics is bad. If you want to avoid fw I'd suggest swapping at minimum the vindicators from las/missile venerable dreads, and if you are willing to use fw also swap the predators for contemptors.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

fashionly snort posted:

Same. Dark Crusade made Word Bearers my first love in 40k but I just don't think I'd enjoy playing them on the tabletop.

At least I can make Eliphas the Inheritor Black Legion after DoW2...

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I understand that Vindicators are bad. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make them work. The stratagem, afaik, opens up for them to pop smoke and shoot, shoot while in melee etc., and their role would be as a midfield distraction Carnifex.

I disagree with you regarding predators being bad, however. They got good range, so they don't need the Ultramarines tactic, and assuming you get first turn, you delete whatever your opponent has that threatens them. If you go second, your opponent has to decide between eating Kill Shot or Linebreaker Bombardment.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I understand that Vindicators are bad. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make them work. The stratagem, afaik, opens up for them to pop smoke and shoot, shoot while in melee etc., and their role would be as a midfield distraction Carnifex.

I disagree with you regarding predators being bad, however. They got good range, so they don't need the Ultramarines tactic, and assuming you get first turn, you delete whatever your opponent has that threatens them. If you go second, your opponent has to decide between eating Kill Shot or Linebreaker Bombardment.

Speaking as the less than proud owner of two Predators they're definitely pretty bad. If we're sticking to marines comparing them to something like a Contemptor Mortis is eye opening, and if you start looking at what other armies get in similar roles for that cost you can't help but laugh.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you go second you lose both tanks because 26 wounds at T8 or worse with no Invuln takes less shooting than a single knight and any good list will remove a knight on turn one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All marine tanks should be T8

Rhinos aren't a tank, they're a troop transport :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheBigAristotle posted:

All marine tanks should be T8

Rhinos aren't a tank, they're a troop transport :colbert:

Anything that had AV13 or better in 7th should be T8 tbh. Land Raiders and Titanic units should probably be T9. Combine that with Melta type weapons getting +1 to wound against Vehicles or Monsters and you'd probably be living in a much more interesting 40K scene.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Anything that had AV13 or better in 7th should be T8 tbh. Land Raiders and Titanic units should probably be T9. Combine that with Melta type weapons getting +1 to wound against Vehicles or Monsters and you'd probably be living in a much more interesting 40K scene.

Either SM tanks need invulnerable saves, or invulnerable saves in general should be decreased.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Either SM tanks need invulnerable saves, or invulnerable saves in general should be decreased.

It's definitely the second one. Most things with invuln saves that are supposed to actually represent lightning reflexes or whatever should have a -1 to hit or a way to reroll failed saves of 1 (or all if it's supposed to be really slippery).

If I hit a genestealer with a lascannon and wound that should be the end of it, none of this "made the invuln haha you actually missed" poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

It's definitely the second one. Most things with invuln saves that are supposed to actually represent lightning reflexes or whatever should have a -1 to hit or a way to reroll failed saves of 1 (or all if it's supposed to be really slippery).

If I hit a genestealer with a lascannon and wound that should be the end of it, none of this "made the invuln haha you actually missed" poo poo.

So long as plasma weapons changed the rules so that the 1 to murder the guy was on a natural 1 then I would be all for it.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love if it were the second one, especially models with 3++.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So long as plasma weapons changed the rules so that the 1 to murder the guy was on a natural 1 then I would be all for it.

Honestly I'd like to see plasma be a mortal wound to the model with the weapon on a natural 1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mef989 posted:

Honestly I'd like to see plasma be a mortal wound to the model with the weapon on a natural 1.

That would be the ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Agreed. Though I'd say "suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the models Wounds characteristic" so you could survive it with FNP effects but it'd still kill a dude unmodified. Some models with multiple wounds and plasma should still be risking death IMHO.

Also there should be more effects that ignore points of AP. Instead of an invuln, Terminators could reasonably have "ignore the first point of AP by weapon attacks made against this unit" and be arguably more effective than they are now. Turbo-durable things like goldenbois could ignore the first two points of AP.