Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dancer posted:

So here's a maybe odd request. I decided in the middle of playing that solar is too OP, so I installed the RealisticPower mod. But, because this happened after I've already researched accumulators (and also built some of them), only one of the two accumulator types in the mod is unlocked (presumably the one with the same internal ID as the base game accumulator). Can someone savvy tell me what console command I should put in to fix this? Maybe a way to un-research accumulators, so they get unlocked again?

You say that but requires 15x more resources per MW than nuclear. Unless your reasoning is that the lower pollution makes biters too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I suppose solar is more intensive then nuclear in terms of raw, but boy is solar far easier to set up. Automating panels is basic, and accumulators are basic once you have batteries automated. At that point all you need is space. Plus there's basically no upkeep / fuel to worry about.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to set up nuclear, so maybe my opinion will change once I get there, but right now needing like 300 red circuits just to get on reactor feels like hell.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

I suppose solar is more intensive then nuclear in terms of raw, but boy is solar far easier to set up. Automating panels is basic, and accumulators are basic once you have batteries automated. At that point all you need is space. Plus there's basically no upkeep / fuel to worry about.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to set up nuclear, so maybe my opinion will change once I get there, but right now needing like 300 red circuits just to get on reactor feels like hell.

One reactor will put out as much electricity as like 1,000 solar panels though (40 MW), and two reactors next to each other put out as much as 4,000 solar panels (160 MW). I'm pretty sure that when you add all the resources together for both systems they aren't as different as you would think.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

M_Gargantua posted:

480MW of nuclear is 20,200 Copper, 9,120 Iron, 4,800 Plastic, 3,960 Steel, and 2,400 Concrete
480MW of solar is 314,160 Copper, 190,554 Iron, 57,120 Steel + 47,985 Batteries

Orders of magnitude. etc.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The big win for solar is it's cheap to get started. In the early game, cutting coal usage (and pollution) with solar is a lot cheaper than even researching nuclear.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Each type of power has its advantages and disadvantages. If you need a ton of power you pretty much just always want nuclear but getting it set up can be a pain. It takes way less effort to start spamming solar panels despite the resource sink they turn out to be in the long run. Of course you get solar panels before nuclear so it makes sense that nuclear is the best of the power sources. You can use coal right from the get go but coal has its issues; then you get solar which you can just set and forget but you need batteries to get the most out of it and it takes up a gently caress ton of space. Getting a nuclear reactor up and running takes some deep research and some effort but once you get it rolling shits out absurd amounts of juice.

Generally speaking I've been turning down uranium generation a ton to make it tougher to get nuclear up and running. Probably the biggest snag with the difficulty of nuclear (or in this case the lack thereof) is that one normal uranium patch will probably last you for absolutely ever.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
New patch changes mining productivity to 10%/level and removes a bunch of steps, with the cost of each level changed to 500 packages per level.

That was found to be really cheap for the late game so the next patch changes the cost to:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66705&start=20#p407015 posted:

• Level 1: 250 (red + green)
  • Level 2: 500 (+blue)
  • Level 3: 1000 (+purple+yellow)
  • of level 4+ is (level - 3) * 2500

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Blue science is even more brutal to fully automate in .17 but also even more satisfying when you do get it done.

Ope running out of coal for my boilers and nearly maxing out my boilers! And oil is running low! So many problems!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's really killing me right now is steel. It's way more necessary in 0.17 now, both for AP round and recipes that now need it, and I'm having trouble scaling it up to a decent volume. I probably just need to cut bait and move on to military/blue science because I've spent close to two hours now stuck on red/green just trying to spool more copper, iron, and steel up.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sydin posted:

What's really killing me right now is steel. It's way more necessary in 0.17 now, both for AP round and recipes that now need it, and I'm having trouble scaling it up to a decent volume. I probably just need to cut bait and move on to military/blue science because I've spent close to two hours now stuck on red/green just trying to spool more copper, iron, and steel up.

Kind of the same except I'm doing it on purpose and don't have the steel issue! I intentionally stopped on red/green science until I got all my other poo poo sorted out. I've walled my entire base, have a belf-fed AP perimeter, set up a bus and cool mall (that I'm pretty proud of). This is off one smelting column of iron and one of iron/steel. If you can get a solid defence set up you can havequite a lot of breathing room before you need to move onto other sciences and oil/plastic. Although some of that will depend on initial resource patch sizes I guess, not sure what the norm is, I upped mine a bit in settings. Starting area had about 3 million iron and I'm just under 2 million now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sydin posted:

Early game benefits from buffering your smelting areas so that even while you don't have multiple lanes or many furnaces, they work all the time. That does however also maximise your pollution production so you better make sure your cloud is clear of biters.

My factory hasn't had an attack in the last 7 hours. I alternate time between factory improvements and biter clearance. Though if you have expansion on you're going to suffer (I'm on a rail world, by default no expansion but resources are further away).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Blue science is even more brutal to fully automate in .17 but also even more satisfying when you do get it done.

Ope running out of coal for my boilers and nearly maxing out my boilers! And oil is running low! So many problems!

I think the new blue science is easier by far. Way less iron, and solid fuel is very useful. Yellow science is a doozy now with low density structures in the mix.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Previously I didn't worry about solid fuel until I was making my rocket, which meant I had logistic bots. I used conditions on pumps feeding light oil to my crackers and my fuel plants, where it would stop cracking if my solid fuel in my logistics network got below a certain level. I want to do something similair now to keep things in balance, but since I'm just belting directly into the research factory I'm not sure exactly how to set that up. My best idea right now is to put a tank between my light oil source and the fuel plants, and connect a circuit wire to the pump that feeds cracking, and only turn on the cracking pump when my tank is above a certain level. Logic being that if the pipes are filling up outside my fuel plant, I'm making more fuel than I need so I can crack some light oil.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm just getting back into this, and regarding .17 biters my strategy is to set water pretty high on map creation (300% on both sliders) to create natural chokepoints which I can then wall the gently caress off. Not sure if I have water high enough yet though

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm just getting back into this, and regarding .17 biters my strategy is to set water pretty high on map creation (300% on both sliders) to create natural chokepoints which I can then wall the gently caress off. Not sure if I have water high enough yet though

Well that's certainly a strategy, yes. You could try the island start of course, then you can't be reached at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

This is a fun way to play, I think. Have the starting area be on a peninsula. Makes the pace a bit more enjoyable for an anglebobs game.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Well that's certainly a strategy, yes. You could try the island start of course, then you can't be reached at all.

I still want to scramble against the enemies at the gates, but in a more manageable way :kiddo:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Are turrets viable against late game/evolved biters for defence or do you neeed to switch to lasers? I usually play with biters off so haven't kept up to speed on any changes with regards to damage etc.

Edit: As I pressed post I realised I'd asked this before and checked and it's the first post I made in this thread three years ago... exactly the same question

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2019

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Some friends of mine did a Rampant game in a world that was about 60% water without bumping up the resource spawns (this was back in 0.15). It was pretty epic.

Gravy Jones posted:

Are turrets viable against late game/evolved biters for defence or do you neeed to switch to lasers?
Plutonium ammo turrets were some of the highest DPS things in the game in 0.16, I don't think 0.17 has changed that but I'm not sure. The issue was always that it's way easier to move power around than ammo.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 5, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

BabelFish posted:

Plutonium ammo turrets were some of the highest DPS things in the game in 0.16, I don't think 0.17 has changed that but I'm not sure.

Oh hell yeah, haven't played with biters since they introduced that. Now I know what my goal is this game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
AP rounds have a strong edge on DPS over laser, uranium rounds demolish them both completely

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All hail the flame turret.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Flame turret with two turrets using nuke ammo (or AP at a high damage level) murder a lot.

The benefits of lasers are added range (which flame turrets beat) and no ammo logistics.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

necrotic posted:

Flame turret with two turrets using nuke ammo (or AP at a high damage level) murder a lot.

The benefits of lasers are added range (which flame turrets beat) and no ammo logistics.

Since biters range got buffed in .17 can lasers still engage them?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ratzap posted:

There's nothing to reach you on the island start. Outside of your island it's endless ocean.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just got this game and am playing the tutorial. It could use a lot more love, as it's been really interesting trying to figure out how to actually make things work, but I'm slowly getting there. I of course built my labs completely wrong and need to re-do them now to hit the target for red production I need, and the stupid loving robot dude is parked right in middle of where it would be easiest to rebuild based on what I already have... move you jerk!

Is there supposed to be any sort of audible warning when your stuff is getting eaten by bugs? If so it's not working as the first attack the only reason I noticed was because I went up to refuel my miners and got swarmed by the bastards that were eating all my iron miners!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Feldegast42 posted:

Since biters range got buffed in .17 can lasers still engage them?

The one issue in .17 is worms outranging turrets, especially the bigger ones. If you get unlucky with biter expansions you could have some worms growing just outside your turret range and smashing your defensive walls to bits.
It feels wrong that biter expansion parties can get that close to your base and still continue on in their peaceful nest-and-worm-growing mission instead of getting aggroed and running off to bite a wall though

The Locator posted:

Just got this game and am playing the tutorial. It could use a lot more love, as it's been really interesting trying to figure out how to actually make things work, but I'm slowly getting there. I of course built my labs completely wrong and need to re-do them now to hit the target for red production I need, and the stupid loving robot dude is parked right in middle of where it would be easiest to rebuild based on what I already have... move you jerk!

Is there supposed to be any sort of audible warning when your stuff is getting eaten by bugs? If so it's not working as the first attack the only reason I noticed was because I went up to refuel my miners and got swarmed by the bastards that were eating all my iron miners!

There is a warning sound when your buildings are taking damage, plus a little red ! triangle that pops up in the alert box right of your hotbar. It's not a blaring air-raid siren or anything though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There is a warning sound when your buildings are taking damage, plus a little red ! triangle that pops up in the alert box right of your hotbar. It's not a blaring air-raid siren or anything though.

Thanks. There was probably a sound but I didn't realize what it was. I imagine I'll learn that. Did not notice the red triangle at all. In the videos I've watched there was a red flashing on the mini-map, which I also didn't see, but maybe I just missed it.

Tutorial could really do a better job of explaining some stuff, but I do realize the game is in 'early' release (or alpha, or whatever they want to call it).

Is there somewhere that explains how the little feeder robots work exactly? I've had some real issues getting them to pick up and place where I want them to off of belts, and I'm really not sure why.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Locator posted:

Is there somewhere that explains how the little feeder robots work exactly? I've had some real issues getting them to pick up and place where I want them to off of belts, and I'm really not sure why.

When you place them they display a line and an arrow. They take from the line and put it where the arrow is. You can use the R key to rotate them and change the direction they move the item. They can pick up anything from any belt lane or slot in a chest, but they can only put it down in a place where it belongs. They won't grab an item if the drop off location won't accept it. For example an inserter will halt if the chest or assembing maching its trying to feed into is full. They also won't fill up an assembling machines input inventory, only enough for it to complete two or three pieces ahead.

When inserters drop off items onto belts they always drop it in the lane furthest from them. Each belt has a left and a right lane. While buildings like assembling machines count as a valid drop off or pick up point for any part of them.

The last thing is that besides long handed inserters (red ones) they all pick up and drop off in the adjacent tile. Long handed inserters pick up from two away and drop off from two away, and pass over anything adjacent to them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Locator posted:

Thanks. There was probably a sound but I didn't realize what it was. I imagine I'll learn that. Did not notice the red triangle at all. In the videos I've watched there was a red flashing on the mini-map, which I also didn't see, but maybe I just missed it.

Tutorial could really do a better job of explaining some stuff, but I do realize the game is in 'early' release (or alpha, or whatever they want to call it).

See the wiki. They are guaranteed to always place on the far side of a belt. They prefer picking up from the close side but they'll take from either if they need to.

If your belts are getting unbalanced because of this, you'll eventually want to build a lane balancer to straighten things out:

It works by using a belt splitter to make two half-belts and then merging them back together. But those require belt splitters, which are for whatever reason unavailable inside the tutorial. Normally you have access to them almost immediately.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks both of you. The tutorial seems to make lots of things unnecessarily difficult. The fact that I can't make lane splitters, and the big one - no hotbar for a long time! I finally got my hotbar, and that makes things much better, but I need to figure out how to clear the hotbar slots and the hotbar so far hasn't been even mentioned in the tutorial.

One of the things you guys mentioned explains something I was seeing, which is that the inserters won't fill up the assembler, which was really confusing me as I couldn't figure out why they were working so slowly when there was so much space available.

Bookmarked the wiki!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Locator posted:

Thanks both of you. The tutorial seems to make lots of things unnecessarily difficult. The fact that I can't make lane splitters, and the big one - no hotbar for a long time! I finally got my hotbar, and that makes things much better, but I need to figure out how to clear the hotbar slots and the hotbar so far hasn't been even mentioned in the tutorial.

Middle click

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GotLag posted:

Middle click

Awesome, thanks!

I finished the tutorial, just as I was about to get overrun as I ran out of ammunition even with 3 assemblers running nothing but ammo.. that final wave was huge!

Now I just need to get a lot better at layout because my tutorial factory was a huge mess.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Locator posted:

Now I just need to get a lot better at layout because my tutorial factory was a huge mess.
Embrace the spaghetti mess. It's part of the fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Locator posted:

Awesome, thanks!

I finished the tutorial, just as I was about to get overrun as I ran out of ammunition even with 3 assemblers running nothing but ammo.. that final wave was huge!

Splitters and underground belts help a lot for keeping things organized and neat. Or for enabling spaghetti and letting you bodge more and more unplanned upgrades anywhere they fit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Embrace the spaghetti mess. It's part of the fun.

Eventually you will no longer make spaghetti, and it will be a sad rite of passage when your base is mostly clean and organized.

Have fun routing things all over the place while you can, because you cant really go back (also share it with all of us)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DarkHorse posted:

Eventually you will no longer make spaghetti

Is there a mod that starts you out with train technology researched and removes all belts from the game? I want to see the hellfactory that would result from using trains for literally all item transportation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
R/Seablock has been whipping up a 0.16 seablock server for the past couple days. It is fuckin wild.

Like the level of complexity in bobs/angela means nobody can claim expertise or a "one true build". But the resource scarcity is so extreme teamwork is heartwarming and desperate. Since all things come from the sea, you can just build a positive loop somewhere and it is a positive contribution to the meager resources.

Also the discord dude running the server and been adapting redmew's softmods for a whole bunch of differnt ascii art surprises. There has been 3 server wipes. I was able to witness mindblowingly different approaches.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

(also share it with all of us)

This is really the most important part. Then one day somebody else will come along and post their horrendously spaghettified mess and you'll sigh and be all like "ah, to be young again..."

I really wish I still had some of my first saves so I could post my spaghetti monsters. No buses, no gods, no masters. Just an abhorrent tangle of belts that somehow managed to launch a rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Pre-0.17 the biter attack sound was a blaring air raid siren, but now in 0.17 it's this quiet little chirp that you may miss, especially if you're conditioned to the air-raid siren. It also sounds an awful lot like a Star Trek computer sound, especially one you'd get when clicking around the interface in Birth of the Federation (jeez i'm old) so my brain is conditioned to sort of ignore it.

Not sure why they made that change, is there a way to configure that or a mod that changes it?