Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Good or bad, I don't really care about what reviews say because of the series' history, but comparing DMC5 to a game like Nier Automata is just kinda crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the funniest detraction point I read is still "you see Lady/Trish naked" from the GameSpot review. I think you meant to add this to the Pro column and put "you don't see V naked" in the Cons, buddy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh interesting:

quote:

Nero, Dante, and V don’t reach their full potential until the end of your first run through. The next difficulty level remixes every combat encounter and lets you keep all of your unlocks. The refresh is so extensive that it makes the main campaign feel like a mere tutorial, and this is before Capcom adds the bloody palace gauntlet mode in April.

Wonder if this means not just more/tougher enemies?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I never really played the earlier DMC games, but I did really like the Ninja Theory game. Will I like this new one?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
DMC 4 did that too. Harder difficulties had different enemies (usually tougher).
Good stuff.
I'm so hyped for this.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Why do all the main characters look like unused extras from Final Fantasy XV?

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

because japan makes dorks and i love them all

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gunder posted:

I never really played the earlier DMC games, but I did really like the Ninja Theory game. Will I like this new one?

Depends what you liked about it. There are demos out on consoles to give it a whirl. But it's looking pretty sick either way.

And give some of the older ones a try, if you get the chance - especially DMC3.

DMC2 is the black sheep so feel free to avoid it/drop it if you get bored.

And DMC1 is still pretty solid, although obviously lacks the features introduced from the later series, but is still worth a play.
DMC4 is also fun.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Sefal posted:

DMC 4 did that too. Harder difficulties had different enemies (usually tougher).
Good stuff.
I'm so hyped for this.

DMC1 did that as well.

Who remembers Shadow's showing up in the hallways before its first encounter? :D

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaa Boogie posted:

Contrary reviews are usually interesting to look at but

https://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/devil-may-cry-5-ps4-review/

is kinda uhhhh

That quote sells me even more on the game, tbh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Oh interesting:

Wonder if this means not just more/tougher enemies?

That how almost every game in this genre works.
Higher difficulties usually add either more enemies or replace weaker early game enemies with stronger late game enemies.

Every difficulty is basically it's own level pack, sort of.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I am so incredibly hype for this game. I preordered yesterday (which I never do anymore) because I had a gut feeling this was gonna be great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Momomo posted:

Good or bad, I don't really care about what reviews say because of the series' history, but comparing DMC5 to a game like Nier Automata is just kinda crazy.

Nier Automata is one of the best game on PS4 but its an RPG by design.

So yeah

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I am so incredibly hype for this game. I preordered yesterday (which I never do anymore) because I had a gut feeling this was gonna be great.

Was going to preorder, but I've got a voucher as a present over xmas, so just going to buy it in store.
Two days :negative:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That negative review is basically seven paragraphs of "I don't like Nero".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gunder posted:

Devil May Cry doesn’t really have platforming to speak of so the level design in DmC isn’t found elsewhere in the series. I don’t know if you played the original release or the new re-release of Ninja Theory’s DmC but the combat system was a less intricate version of the originals.

Basically if you want more platforming you won’t see much, and if you liked the combat you can play this game forever.

Dias posted:

That negative review is basically seven paragraphs of "I don't like Nero".

Nero is great because he is designed top-down to teach people how to do cool stuff in these games. He’s the starter character for a reason. Being bad at Nero is weird because he’s only got two weapons, you only need to focus on combos and mechanics, unlike Dante who has more versatility in his kit that some games have altogether.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 6, 2019

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WaltherFeng posted:

Nier Automata is one of the best game on PS4 but its an RPG by design.

So yeah

I didn't mean that as a slight against Nier, I love that game, but yeah an action game it was not. If anything DMC5 not being like it is a good thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nero's a starting character and they seem to address my main gripe with him by having the devil breakers vary up his gameplay more, so his complaint is really dumb.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Isn't Nero just easier by design, too since his arm is so powerful and versatile, it does everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nero being a "different every time" combat experience with the arm mechanic was the best decision for bringing him back, also forces you to improvise with all of your stock if you get caught in a bad spot and break one or use the explosion to eject from being pinned down. You couldn't make all 3 more different unless Lady was in there with Just Guns.

I'm probably just going to get all the extra arms ASAP when they get dumped into the PSN store along with the music, need that Mega Buster

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really wasn’t interested in V’s fighting style when I first saw it but knowing a bit more about it now he seems very cool and unique.
I’m also surprised at just how many Devil Breakers Nero seems to have. I assumed there’d be, like, maybe one more than the ones that were in the demo but there’s actually a lot of variety there. I like it a lot, having one arm equipped at a time and having them cycle automatically when an arm breaks keeps Nero as the beginner-friendly character he was meant to be while still greatly expanding his toolbox for skilled players.

If reviewers haven’t brought up any issues with missing or recycled content like DMC4 had this seems like it could easily be the best game in the series.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 6, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LMAO if you're not listening to Taste the Blood or Devil Trigger while you read all these reviews and get ready to STYLE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even the eurogamer review threw in a brief grouse about how no one liked DmC

you guys backed a losing horse, let it die

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DLC Inc posted:

Nero being a "different every time" combat experience with the arm mechanic was the best decision for bringing him back, also forces you to improvise with all of your stock if you get caught in a bad spot and break one or use the explosion to eject from being pinned down. You couldn't make all 3 more different unless Lady was in there with Just Guns.

I'm probably just going to get all the extra arms ASAP when they get dumped into the PSN store along with the music, need that Mega Buster

Lady stands in for DMC2 Dante.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Opencritic has it at 89. I really had faith in Itsuno to put out a great game but it's nice to see game journalist/reviewers aren't making GBS threads on it like they did when they reviewed DmC. It's obvious the game is good from the feedback and reception, Capcom has done really well with marketing their games recently so I believe this will sell decently as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This is a little bit concerning, assuming that this guy played on Normal and not on Easy. Which to be honest isn't even certain.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LMAO I just saw a boss hit Dante so hard he knocked the red orbs out of him. No he did not have the cowboy hat equipped. Awesome!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

This is a little bit concerning, assuming that this guy played on Normal and not on Easy. Which to be honest isn't even certain.

For most game reviews, assume easy by default.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would imagine V has the most forgiving style rankings of the 3 because he probably has the least diversity from moment to moment in his gameplay so he's probably going to have simple ways to cheese style ranks which is fine, tbh. I don't think you'll need to do poo poo to cramp your hand to do it though and it seems more like the reviewer just kind of experimented and found a simple if not obnoxious way to do it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

even the eurogamer review threw in a brief grouse about how no one liked DmC

you guys backed a losing horse, let it die

I’ll have you know that “Fox News is bad” is the absolute height of political commentary and it elevated video games as a medium

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 6, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Augus posted:

I’ll have you know that “Fox News is bad” is the absolute height of political commentary and elevates video games as a medium

"I will control the world...through debt."
"The world is at last your bitch, as am I. Nothing left but to grab it by the-"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm watching GB's quick look and oh poo poo Artemis is here!

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

I just got to watch some more V gameplay and his Panther is essentially a Devil May Cry 1 Shadow and I'm so loving giddy to play this game oh god

His Eagle does Griffon moves!!!!!!!!!!! This is goty

YouSpoonyBard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 6, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

I'm watching GB's quick look and oh poo poo Artemis is here!

:jackbud:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

YouSpoonyBard posted:

I just got to watch some more V gameplay and his Panther is essentially a Devil May Cry 1 Shadow and I'm so loving giddy to play this game oh god

His Eagle does Griffon moves!!!!!!!!!!! This is goty

Yeah, even Nightmare pulls out some DMC1 moves, even though it's a completely different body type. I love that they do more than just reference their namesakes.

Not sure that really needs to be spoilered but I'll do it anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Cade_Onder/status/1103350720714158082

GOTY

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:allears:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I love devil may cry so much

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we have any impressions of the PC version anywhere?