Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

letthereberock posted:

Just to be safe I would recommend not being a woman at all.

Generally, avoid the gravity well around this hell prison we call Terra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The idea that a woman's hair is going to prevent a serial killer is absurd. They are methodical psychopaths with a system to hunt and kill; some of them are out there killing grown men. The best defense is awareness, and if your instinct tells you some poo poo is wrong, don't bow to social pressure, and gtfo of there.

In other words, don't be the lady in Silence of the Lambs who gets put in the van helping some dude with his couch.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't Bundy specifically target women with long hair parted down the middle and worn loose? I think Son of Sam did that for the start of his murders too. Maybe. I don't know and Wikipedia is waaaay over there. :effort:
Yes Bundy did indeed go for women who had the same hairstyle as his former girlfriend who he thought was the ticket to being part of an affluent and important family. (He disregarded this when he escaped from prison and went on a spree where he killed and raped a blond child)

But yeah from experience it doesn't matter what you wear or how long your hair is. So:

letthereberock posted:

Just to be safe I would recommend not being a woman at all.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Mar 6, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Btw in a couple of months friends of mine and I are going to make a podcast about Danish/Scandinavian crimes. Is it okay if I post it here when the time comes? It might be extremely lovely but our thought was that most of the crimes podcasts talk about English speaking victims and mostly in English speaking countries. We don't have a lot of murders here but the impact they have on small countries are kind of interesting. Like one of my old roomies was friends with the sister of one of the most prolific murder victims in our history ever and she talked about how it absolutely ruined her because EVERYONE no matter where she went knew who you are (especially because the press took pictures of the funeral the family begged them not to do exactly this at) and this was waaaaay before social media was a thing.
Like I have friends who knew Peter Madsen and I have friends who've met/knew Mads Mikkelsen before he got big in Hollywood. Denmark is crazy small.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sarcopenia posted:

[...] one of the most prolific murder victims in our history ever [...]

Like, they were killed more than once?

Anyway, :justpost:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ElGroucho posted:

In other words, don't be the lady in Silence of the Lambs who gets put in the van helping some dude with his couch.

If I recall, this is how Bundy used to get some of his victims. He wore a cast or something to look non-threatening and got them to help him put bags in his car.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw in a couple of months friends of mine and I are going to make a podcast about Danish/Scandinavian crimes. Is it okay if I post it here when the time comes? It might be extremely lovely but our thought was that most of the crimes podcasts talk about English speaking victims and mostly in English speaking countries. We don't have a lot of murders here but the impact they have on small countries are kind of interesting. Like one of my old roomies was friends with the sister of one of the most prolific murder victims in our history ever and she talked about how it absolutely ruined her because EVERYONE no matter where she went knew who you are (especially because the press took pictures of the funeral the family begged them not to do exactly this at) and this was waaaaay before social media was a thing.
Like I have friends who knew Peter Madsen and I have friends who've met/knew Mads Mikkelsen before he got big in Hollywood. Denmark is crazy small.

I would absolutely listen to this; we need more non-Americentric true crime podcasts.

I’m learning Norwegian (Bokmål) right now and one of my listening practice tools is Truecrimepodden because the narrator speaks so methodically and she covers mostly American or international crimes so I know the basic story going into it and can pick up vocabulary like øksmorder and blodspray.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

If I recall, this is how Bundy used to get some of his victims. He wore a cast or something to look non-threatening and got them to help him put bags in his car.

I think this was his main MO. Pretend to be in trouble to attract a victim.

Sarcopenia posted:

I’d be interested. I think it’s come up in this thread (and definitely in other places) that the true crime market as it were is dominated by anglos, especially americans, because that’s the biggest audience. So we end up with notorious americans and brits being extra double super notorious and the impression that being an anophone makes you five times as likely to murder.

Hell Casefile is partially amazing because it focuses on a lot of australian crimes instead of the endless litany of americans and brits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aleph Null posted:

How safe is a beehive hairdo (not an actual beehive)?

If you want an unnerving story, talk to a hairdresser about removing a beehive hairdo.

:nws:

The lacquer rots, and it also provides a perfect burrowing environment for insects. A lot of the time women have to have their heads shaved because their do is crawling with maggots.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, ladies, don't help any dude in distress. gently caress him, let him die-- I'm saying this with zero irony. It's the rule of the wild.

If he doesn't have bros who help him out, he's probably a piece of poo poo anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jedit posted:

If you want an unnerving story, talk to a hairdresser about removing a beehive hairdo.

The lacquer rots, and it also provides a perfect burrowing environment for insects. A lot of the time women have to have their heads shaved because their do is crawling with maggots.

More like hair don't

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw in a couple of months friends of mine and I are going to make a podcast about Danish/Scandinavian crimes. Is it okay if I post it here when the time comes?

Yes, please!! I will hype it in my various crimewatcher places.

Also post in RGD.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Jedit posted:

I remember reading about all the sores, bugs and worse women would have with the elaborate wigs/hairstyles during the French Renaissance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

The idea that a woman's hair is going to prevent a serial killer is absurd. They are methodical psychopaths with a system to hunt and kill; some of them are out there killing grown men. The best defense is awareness, and if your instinct tells you some poo poo is wrong, don't bow to social pressure, and gtfo of there.

One thing I read is that they tend to target low-hanging fruit. They'll go for people who look vulnerable or those that don't have good support systems. A lot of serial killers target prostitutes specifically because they're often broke as hell, in a desperate situation that led them to prostitution in the first place, and are easy to get alone because you can just be all "hey I pay you for some gently caress" then when they're alone it's murder o'clock. The police are less likely to care much (or even notice for that matter) if another random prostitute with either no relatives who give a poo poo or no relatives at all goes missing.

Related to keeping yourself safe don't take self-defense classes but instead take up jogging. Instead of worrying about how to defend yourself in a lovely situation learn how to get out of the lovely situation entirely. There might be variables you don't know about and if it's a legit murderous psychopath you're dealing with there's a good chance they're armed, have a plan, and are way better at this than you are. Run the gently caress away. Just get out however you can. The single best safety tool is a good pair of shoes that you can run in.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing I read is that they tend to target low-hanging fruit. They'll go for people who look vulnerable or those that don't have good support systems. A lot of serial killers target prostitutes specifically because they're often broke as hell, in a desperate situation that led them to prostitution in the first place, and are easy to get alone because you can just be all "hey I pay you for some gently caress" then when they're alone it's murder o'clock. The police are less likely to care much (or even notice for that matter) if another random prostitute with either no relatives who give a poo poo or no relatives at all goes missing.

This is pretty much true for most crimes (robbery, assault, rape) besides serial killers.

quote:

Related to keeping yourself safe don't take self-defense classes but instead take up jogging. Instead of worrying about how to defend yourself in a lovely situation learn how to get out of the lovely situation entirely. There might be variables you don't know about and if it's a legit murderous psychopath you're dealing with there's a good chance they're armed, have a plan, and are way better at this than you are. Run the gently caress away. Just get out however you can. The single best safety tool is a good pair of shoes that you can run in.

A good self-defense class (or even a good CCW class) teaches you to have situational awareness so that you don't get in lovely situations in the first place, and that if you do, to try to run away first. Using force is only supposed to be when you can't do either and you have no other options.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You'd think that a self-defense class teaching people that the best way to win a fight is to not be in one would be kind of a rip-off, but it's amazing how many people actually need to learn that lesson.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scathach posted:

E: but yeah that hair thing is BS. Even if women with short hair are targeted less it's probably not because they're harder to grab, but that killers may be intimidated by a nontraditional woman that might be tough and more difficult to overpower. Like if I was going to fight another chick I'd be scared the one with a shaved head might kick my rear end.

Documented evidence that this isn't true:

quote:

There she goes
Swinging down the high street, yeah
Hair cropped short
Boots and braces

I couldn't believe my eyes
Like a story out of a book
She was my height, my weight, my size
Wore braces and blue jeans

Skinhead girl, oh my
Skinhead girl, she was mine
Skinhead girl

I made up my mind
Was gonna be courageous, yeah
Her hand on my hand
And touch her gentle

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Mar 6, 2019

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is pretty much true for most crimes (robbery, assault, rape) besides serial killers.

A good self-defense class (or even a good CCW class) teaches you to have situational awareness so that you don't get in lovely situations in the first place, and that if you do, to try to run away first. Using force is only supposed to be when you can't do either and you have no other options.

My dad used to teach a self-defense class and he said people were most often surprised by the following two tips:

- in the absence of being able to actually fight, simply going limp is surprisingly effective. Most people would have to struggle to lift 80lbs, and all but the tiniest women or kids weigh more than that. Become dead weight and it might be the thing which causes your assailant to seek easier prey.

- whatever your assailant is going to do to you, be it murder, rape, assault - make them do it where they find you, basically. Your survival rate in such an encounter drops by around 90% if you get in a car/van/rowboat/submarine with them. So even if they are trying to force you at gunpoint - gently caress that. Make them shoot you right there rather than going with them. You are much more likely to survive the encounter that way. Plus if it's something like a mall parking lot, they definitely don't want to attract attention to themselves. Drop to the ground, become dead weight, and make them earn it. Most criminals are opportunists. They will seek another opportunity if one suddenly becomes difficult.

HaB has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 6, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

HaB posted:

My dad used to teach a self-defense class and he said people were most often surprised by the following two tips:

- in the absence of being able to actually fight, simply going limp is surprisingly effective. Most people would have to struggle to lift 80lbs, and all but the tiniest women or kids weigh more than that. Become dead weight and it might be the thing which causes your assailant to seek easier prey.

- whatever your assailant is going to do to you, be it murder, rape, assault - make them do it where they find you, basically. Your survival rate in such an encounter drops by around 90% if you get in a car/van/rowboat/submarine with them. So even if they are trying to force you at gunpoint - gently caress that. Make them shoot you right there rather than going with them. You are much more likely to survive the encounter that way. Plus if it's something like a mall parking lot, they definitely don't want to attract attention to themselves. Drop to the ground, become dead weight, and make them earn it. Most criminals are opportunists. They will seek another opportunity if one suddenly becomes difficult.

Go limp's one I've heard a lot, same with urinate or defecate yourself to not be as appealing to the attacker. Be mindful of your body language is another one I've been told since certain elements imply vulnerability like eyes downcast, holding things like books or a purse to your chest.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Related to keeping yourself safe don't take self-defense classes but instead take up jogging.
Kinda weird advice there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Kinda weird advice there.

Not really. One of the major points against me becoming a serial killer is the thought of having to chase people down. It sounds very tiring.

(The other is that I'm not a loving psycho.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you really wanna kill people that badly seems like it would be much easier to just go work for a health insurance company.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be honest I just don't have the spoons to kill people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

christmas boots posted:

If you really wanna kill people that badly seems like it would be much easier to just go work for a health insurance company.

Or a paramedic if you're a certain goon

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

Not really. One of the major points against me becoming a serial killer is the thought of having to chase people down.
Yeah well, "jogger attacked" isn't going to be the emptiest page of google search results you ever see.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Or a paramedic if you're a certain goon

I'm missing backstory on this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some guy bragged about withholding drugs for people who ODed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a link or did it get pulled?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm hoping it's in use as evidence against them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most people these days will tell you that the development of profiling in the FBI during the 80's was bullshit, and for the most part that's correct, but it's easy to forget how some very very basic ideas hadn't been accepted yet in terms of the way investigations are done. The idea of victimology, that you can gain insight into how a killer operates by looking at the victims they target, is one of those things. Doesn't mean it ever gives you this magical ability to describe the killer or point them out, but it can give you a road map to other potential cases to investigate and avenues of of inquiry to take, which in turn can lead to potential suspects.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think it was a post on an anonymous confessions thread, if memory serves.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, gonna need a little more context on this. There's really only one drug you give to people who are ODing and if you don't give it to them, its pretty obvious and you're probably about to go to prison for actively killing patients.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

christmas boots posted:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

M_Sinistrari posted:

Go limp's one I've heard a lot, same with urinate or defecate yourself to not be as appealing to the attacker.

So this is why I never get attacked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest I just don't have the spoons to kill people

Weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I preemptively poo poo myself each time I leave the house. So far, I have been neither murdered by a serial killer, nor asked out on a date (except by women who also have loads in their pants, so gross, no), so I can say definitively that the feces defense works.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I preemptively poo poo myself each time I leave the house. So far, I have been neither murdered by a serial killer, nor asked out on a date (except by women who also have loads in their pants, so gross, no), so I can say definitively that the feces defense works.
you need to wear a ponytail that shows off your stranglin neck so we can really judge the effectiveness of your strategy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s come up in this thread before, but now it’s come up irl too: goddam are the youtube fake EASs for nuclear war and poo poo unnerving. I remember getting emergency tornado warnings as a kid and even though I know it’s fake, that BLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH is terrifying, especially attached to “go to shelter immediately, missiles are inbound.” It nearly brings me to tears. Especially at work, since my mind flies to never seeing my loved ones again.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HaB posted:

Or run.

Sorry for the reddit link, but this is one of my favourite "almost died" stories:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsNotMeet/comments/8es1qf/a_lesson_for_wannabe_criminals/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
It’s a couple years old, but this week’s LPotL Side Stories brought it up again and, honestly, The UK Hacked My Cooter Cam is a timeless tale.

Hackers Can Easily Hijack This Dildo Camera and Livestream the Inside of Your Vagina (Or Butt)

Hackers from the UK-based security firm Pen Test Partners have found that it's trivially easy to hack into a Svakom Siime Eye, a $249 Internet of Things dildo that has a small camera on its tip, allowing users to stream a video to anyone of their choosing over the internet. However, if you're in Wi-Fi range of the dildo and can guess the password, which by default is "88888888," you can watch the video stream. With a bit more hacking, you can take control of the firmware and then connect to it remotely as well.