Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

i belive they are watching the original "the thing" movie

I always forget this because as a kid I had only ever seen a colorized version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's one of the few times when a clip from a horror movie is shown within another horror movie that shows the title card.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of rape revenge flicks, I thought it died years ago but I Spit On Your Grave: Déjà Vu is for real happening with both Meir Zarchi directing again and Camille Keaton starring in it again. :wtc:

I Spit On Your Grave is a title deserving of a good film, but I somehow doubt this one will be it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Top Ten 2018 in no particular order. You guys really really ignore foreign horror.

Suspiria
Halloween
Hereditary
Mandy
Apostle
The Meg
Mom and Dad
Revenge
Cold Hell
The House that Jack Built

Yeah, that's right. I put The Meg on the list come loving fight me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you like The Meg so much I don't know how you leave The Ritual completely off the list. It was definitely the best creature design of the year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Top Ten 2018 in no particular order. You guys really really ignore foreign horror.

Suspiria
Halloween
Hereditary
Mandy
Apostle
The Meg
Mom and Dad
Revenge
Cold Hell
The House that Jack Built

Yeah, that's right. I put The Meg on the list come loving fight me.

We have the exact same top five in the same order. :hfive:

I loved Apostle, I know the thread was kind of cold on it but it does a great job having poo poo hit the fan so fast and keeping the tension up and I liked how urgent it all felt. You can tell there was maybe a missing scene towards the end because of how fast it jumps from the villagers being the way they are to whelp later losers we believe in the Abrahamic God again hop on a boat folks see ya wouldn't wanna be ya but I still loved it.

I still have to see The Meg. :O

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mine in no order

Hereditary
Annihilation (imma count it as horror)
Mandy
Halloween
Mom and Dad

Only horror I didn’t like was Overlord

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat it. Now the thread has inspired me to delay my Hellraiser marathon it inspired for a "watch all the stuff from the last year or two you've been meaning to because maybe they'll all deliver as much as Hereditary did, you dumbass".

I really just don't want to watch those three Hellraiser movies filmed together. That's gonna be a slog.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Mandy
Hereditary
Thoroughbreds
Suspiria
Halloween
Mom and Dad
The House That Jack Built
Revenge
The Ritual
Ghost Stories

2018 was a good year for horror.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If you like The Meg so much I don't know how you leave The Ritual completely off the list. It was definitely the best creature design of the year.

I know how, The Ritual came out in 2017.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I know how, The Ritual came out in 2017.

I said that too actually but we decided to count it because it didn't hit Netflix until 2018.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

I watched more horror movies this year than movies in general lmao.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of, I finally watched Overlord. I think we talked about it in Gen Chat.

It was whatever. I really like John Magaro, so it was nice seeing him in a decent role. Ian De Caestecker was wasted. Wyatt Russell finally gave me a young Kurt Russell vibe instead of a young Jeff bridges vibe.

Overall it was a bit of a letdown. There were a few times where it threatened to ramp things up, but it never went full-anything. So even the final act just felt like it was a second gear. I didn't feel like I wasted my time, but nothing really stuck with me either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, that’s about right for me. Although I’m way more sour on it. But Wyatt Russell rules so much. I want to see more action roles from him.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, he's killed it in funnier roles (22 Jump Street, Lodge 49, Ingrid Goes West) but he clearly has the chops for action.

He's very good in a smallish role in Cold in July, which isn't action, but it's worth checking out if you haven't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Mandy
Hereditary
Thoroughbreds
Suspiria
Halloween
Mom and Dad
The House That Jack Built
Revenge
The Ritual
Ghost Stories

I didn't see Ghost Stories so replace that with The Wind and/or Tigers Are Not Afraid and this is my list.

E: throw Cold Skin on there too

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

lmao at the posers who don't

Exhaustive list of the 2018 movies I watched:

First Reformed
Searching
Hereditary
Suspiria
Mandy
Sorry To Bother You
A Quiet Place
The Favourite
Annihilation
Summer of 84

Edit: I'm going by what Criticker tells me is from 2018 so stuff like Cold Skin or Cold Hell aren't on.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait is First Reformed a horror movie?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hollismason posted:

Wait is First Reformed a horror movie?

existential horror

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A24 horror is my new favorite genre :v:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hey y'all, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, now on Shudder (mentioned already upthread) is real good and you should watch it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like Unsane sort of gets buried in discussion of good horror from last year.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Unsane sort of gets buried in discussion of good horror from last year.
It's because it's a thriller, not a horror.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the sound in that MIDSOMMAR trailer, hot drat

keen to check it out, hope ari aster isn't a massive poser

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Easy Diff posted:

It's because it's a thriller, not a horror.

What’s the difference?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thriller is a type of horror. Don't pigeonhole genres from horror , because it sounds like you like to gently caress pigeons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Thriller is a type of horror. Don't pigeonhole genres from horror , because it sounds like you like to gently caress pigeons.

Not a very crowded genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
thrillers are absolutely horror

that said

mikeycp posted:

any movie can be horror if you think about it the right way

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thriller is its own genre seperate from horror

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its all in tone. Like the only thing that makes Jigsaw a horror monster instead of a thriller serial killer is an impossible flair for the dramatic.

That said my philosophy on "Is it Horror?" is kind of "If you can make a solid case, I'll allow it." Its a big field.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it's about a monster who preys on children, so yeah it counts,

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

alf_pogs posted:

I mean if you’ve seen the short film he made about the son sexually abusing his own father... not a one-hit wonder, this guy!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A friend sent me this link and I'm not sure what to make of it. https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/a-beginners-guide-to-dario-argento.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

M_Sinistrari posted:

A friend sent me this link and I'm not sure what to make of it. https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/a-beginners-guide-to-dario-argento.html

Its bizarre to write a article about Argento and not mention Phenomena. Considering who it stars its just kind of weird. Also that is a garbage level article. Here let me fix it

Its sad but Dario Argento never made another film after Opera (1987) so you can stop there.

Trauma (1993)
The later years of Argento’s career have been marred by a string of misfires (please, love yourself and refrain from seeing his Dracula 3D) and controversies revolving around his daughter Asia. Prior to all that, however, he pulled off a family affair on American soil. Asia plays an anorexic patient at a stay in a Minneapolis mental hospital, where the orderlies have a bad habit of getting suffocated by a fiendish contraption known to fans as the Noose-O-Matic. As the title makes abundantly clear, Argento’s back on his Psych 101 grind, ginning up the most demented backstory in a filmography full of them. And the neuroses extend to darker crannies of Argento and his collaborator/lover Daria Nicolodi’s subconscious than usual — Asia’s role is based in part on her real-life half-sister Anna, who battled eating disorders right up to her untimely, accidental death shortly following the film’s release.

Posterity has identified Trauma as a departure for Argento on several fronts. It’s the rare instance of a female protagonist surviving to see the end credits roll, the beginning of a protracted creative partnership with his daughter, and an early sign of his later compulsion to cast a wider net of appeal with U.S. audiences. And yet all of Dario Argento’s films (even the bad ones!) are so immutably his, all but embossed with his proprietary stamp in blood. The mark of a great filmmaker is the ability to create a sui generis visual language setting his or her work apart from the rest of the era, genre, or nation. Put a random frame of Argento’s in front of someone who has a functional understanding of his corpus, and they’ll immediately be able to identify its point of origin. He laid full claim to the vivid, oneiric strain of horror that the franchise mainstream doesn’t dare touch. His legacy lives on today in the cult circuit and the art house, in the bedroom and the asylum, or anywhere someone zips up a black leather glove.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
God, I'd never seen Child's Play and turns out it rules? Why did I sleep on that all my life?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

God, I'd never seen Child's Play and turns out it rules? Why did I sleep on that all my life?

Good news, Childs Play 2 is just as good, if not better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leaving Neverland is one of my favorite horror movies of 2019 so far

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Good news, Childs Play 2 is just as good, if not better.

Childs Play 2 has one of the all-time best third-act set pieces in all of moviedom, not just horror.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

alf_pogs posted:

i belive they are watching the original "the thing" movie

There's also random scenes from Forbidden Planet.

In fact, the scene where the kid sees Michael it is the ship landing in Forbidden Planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9IfvXVJSw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

alf_pogs posted:

He's not in this thread, so probably not.