Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Goldeneye has slowdowns in some areas, perfect dark is better than the n64 version and twine has graphical glitches (can't see your gun etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nonviolent J posted:

Goldeneye has slowdowns in some areas, perfect dark is better than the n64 version and twine has graphical glitches (can't see your gun etc)

That's encouraging, and a lot better than back on the wii. Thanks

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Will the atmosphere patch work with the newer consoles?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

no

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
If your switch is patched and you're on less than 6.2 you'll get browserhax soon

6.2 and higher maybe never

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Question, I bought SXOS and have been pretty happy with it but I wanted to try out atmosphere and stuff, how would I go about that? Do I just need to remote the SXOS license and stuff from my sdcard and just put on the atmosphere installer or do I need a new dongle?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You don't need to overwrite or remove anything. Just put the atmosphère files on your SD card (there should be an "atmosphere" and a "sept" folder on your SD root afterwards), and then just push fusee-primary.bin as the payload in RCM.

I dunno if you can reflash the SX OS dongle with a different payload or something, but the SX OS menu probably also has an option to chainload different payloads from the SD. A quick google tells me that putting the atmosphere payload (fusee_primary.bin) into the root of your SD and using the "Launch external payloads" option in the SX menu should work, but it's secondhand knowledge, since i don't use SX.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
SX was good for it's time when there was only xci loading, as soon as nsp installs were possible I bought a 400gb SD and never looked back

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

HenryEx posted:

You don't need to overwrite or remove anything. Just put the atmosphère files on your SD card (there should be an "atmosphere" and a "sept" folder on your SD root afterwards), and then just push fusee-primary.bin as the payload in RCM.

I dunno if you can reflash the SX OS dongle with a different payload or something, but the SX OS menu probably also has an option to chainload different payloads from the SD. A quick google tells me that putting the atmosphere payload (fusee_primary.bin) into the root of your SD and using the "Launch external payloads" option in the SX menu should work, but it's secondhand knowledge, since i don't use SX.

ah thank you very much sounds like that is the way to do it, i didn't know exactly what to search for

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thinking about going ahead and getting an HDD so I can stop swapping out WiiU discs. Is there one that's recommended? Also is there a Homebrew app that lets me rip my own games?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

disc2app dumps game discs to sd card, which you can then install to the hard drive

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/langer_hans/status/1099436381791752192?s=20

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
That's pretty sick although I'm not immediately sure why I would want that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So you can play mobile fortnite duh.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I want it for San andreas

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

For the Sonic android ports duh. Also for Fire Emblem Heroes if you really want that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was skeptical about the video because Android Q AFAIK only exists as a leaked build, no AOSP source available, but there are a bunch of Switch Homebrew devs who retweeted this so... weird.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 24, 2019

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's real

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to side load android on my switch so i can use the parental app control for my switch right on my switch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

Yeah, it's real
Oh yeah for sure, I just wasn't expecting to see Q in the version number.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

switched over to Atmosphere/Kosmos, took some troubleshooting but I also changed over my SXOS dongle to boot directly to Hekate. Only issue I haven't been able to resolve is I have a "Some necessary data could not be found" nag on a couple of games I had to reinstall

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I just hacked my OG 3ds. Are there any must have downloads?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Fayez Butts posted:

Put some GBA games on there. I never really dug into the Homebrew scene like I did on the DS but I'd love to hear some cool stuff if there's anything. I know the DS had a few music making apps people made that were cool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

If you want to get your SNES on, there are builds of SNES9X that run flawlessly with pretty much all titles even on an OG 3DS.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Put some GBA games on there.

That was the first thing I did:

I'll definitely check out snes9x and those music apps though.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I hacked my SNES classic to run PSX games off a USB drive, but none of them will save properly. While I'm running the game, it will save fine. The problem is when I close it everything disappears. Any ideas?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

SciresM has completely broken open the TSEC

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to having tetherless boot in 3 years when Nintendo finally fixes the nvservices vulnerability and the scene releases the exploit

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nonviolent J posted:

SciresM has completely broken open the TSEC

What does this mean? The new hardware revision models can be hacked as well?

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Crackbone posted:

What does this mean? The new hardware revision models can be hacked as well?

Yep, but the recent firmware is still in progress. Works for new patched models running 4.1.0 still.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Would a "New 3ds" screen lose brightness over time or does mine just look dull because I'm used to the switch now?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Would a "New 3ds" screen lose brightness over time or does mine just look dull because I'm used to the switch now?

Lcd vs led isn't it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Do you have the brightness cranked all the way up, as well as power saving mode off?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do you have the brightness cranked all the way up, as well as power saving mode off?

You know it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Defenistrator posted:

Yep, but the recent firmware is still in progress. Works for new patched models running 4.1.0 still.

I think it's the other way around. Recent firmware (and all others in the future, barring any completely out-of-left-field strokes of genius by Nintendo) are now basically open forever, since the hardware security co-processor is compromised.
The newer patched models have patched the vulnerability in Recovery Mode that makes access to said co-processor possible in the first place though, so for new hardware revision models you'll have to rely on (more or less easily patchable) exploits in the running OS to get control of the system.
Exploits are known for <=4.1.0 definitely, and probably <6.2.0 (possibly higher since as SciresM said the driver isn't very secure), but none have been put into a workable and exploitable end-user solution yet.

What that means in broader terms though, is that they found another vulnerability in NVidia hardware. Specifically that all devices outfitted with the same controller that the Switch uses for its TSEC (a Falcon v5) is compromisable. I've heard that according to NVidia's own bragging, this includes about ~3 billion devices, not just Switches.

All because it was included in a Nintendo console, and hackers really wanted to crack it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been using various 3DS systems since launch and I've never noticed any screens getting dimmer over time. I'll try to compare the New 3DS I bought a few months ago to the New 3DS I got on launch after work.

But I always do appreciate the Switch's screen a lot more if I use it right after a long 3DS session.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New Atmosphère relese (0.8.5) for the switch.

Includes better control over overriding titles (for mods and the like), down to per-title button configs. homebrew menu and homebrew launcher now come pre-bundled, as well.
This version now also includes a cheat engine system module, which implements cheat codes (like Gateway used for 3DS), and which will be extended in the future to implement all of Nintendo's debug monitor functions.

I guess the thread title will become relevant soon

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I picked up a used New 2DSXL the other day and it was super easy to hack just following the instructions. I skipped basically the entire DS and 3DS generations so it's been fun to check those out.

One thing that amazes me though is, on a 100% portable system, how many games have like 30 minute cutscenes and save points. Like drat I know sleep mode is a thing but maybe I want to play 2 minutes of this and 2 minutes of that, eh? I'm not a Japanese kid with a two hour train ride every day.

Edit: don't mind me, a time traveler from the year 2005, complaining about things I didn't pay for.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 8, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

I picked up a used New 2DSXL the other day and it was super easy to hack just following the instructions. I skipped basically the entire DS and 3DS generations so it's been fun to check those out.

One thing that amazes me though is, on a 100% portable system, how many games have like 30 minute cutscenes and save points. Like drat I know sleep mode is a thing but maybe I want to play 2 minutes of this and 2 minutes of that, eh? I'm not a Japanese kid with a two hour train ride every day.

Edit: don't mind me, a time traveler from the year 2005, complaining about things I didn't pay for.

What games are you talking about? I haven’t really noticed that issue except for a few ports that were originally console games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Is there a way to play psp through retro arch on switch yet?