Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Verisimilidude posted:

cooked at a rich friend's house this past weekend and I'm in love with their tramontina pro pans. They're so good, way better than the restaurant pans I used to use, and significantly better than the cuisinarts/dollar store non-sticks that I have currently.

I was just looking at them online. My Tfal teflon pan poo poo the bed and I was debating whether to get another teflon pan. I was leaning toward one of those Techef square omelette pans from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tramontina pro stuff has been my go to non stick for a few years now. Cheap, lasts and heats evenly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Heads up! Thermoworks has a new Thermapen with IR capability.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-IR

It’s $139, it doesn’t have a backlit screen, and it isn’t waterproof. Also it only comes in one color right now. Other than that it looks good I guess. :shrug:

EDIT: The infrared can only handle up to about 661.8°F, which is lower than all of Thermoworks’s IR guns, so there’s that too.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 27, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sounds like garbage. Get a separate IR gun that can do different material modes up to 1000°F for $25

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 27, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Doesn't IR only detect the heat of surfaces? So it might be cool to see how hot your baking steel gets, but it's not gonna do poo poo to tell you if your chicken's done roasting. The home applications for IR are more like "might be cool" than genuinely useful, and you can get an IR gun on Amazon for like $15-20, which imo is about appropriate for "might be cool"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s genuinely good for checking cooking surfaces and things that might melt the plastic/pop the glass in a physical thermometer

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have one and sometimes I play around with it, but I can't think of applications that are really useful. What do you use it for? The only thing I can think of is checking the temp of churning ice cream to see if it's ready to move to the freezer. To sear meat in a pan, you can see by how the oil looks/moves more easily, imo.

v IR, I use pokeys a lot

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 27, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are you asking about pewpew or pokey thermometers

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

Doesn't IR only detect the heat of surfaces? So it might be cool to see how hot your baking steel gets, but it's not gonna do poo poo to tell you if your chicken's done roasting. The home applications for IR are more like "might be cool" than genuinely useful, and you can get an IR gun on Amazon for like $15-20, which imo is about appropriate for "might be cool"

Pretty much, yeah. I only really need IR to check the temp of my pizza stone, and I need it to detect higher than 661.8° for that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mostly checking pan temps if you’re the kind of cook who needs numbers instead of waving your hand over a pan (me)

Also if you’re lazy and don’t want to wash a pokey thermometer you can stir your soup really hard and laser temp it. Not totally accurate but ballpark is close enough

Also if you’re heating a copper poker to plunge into a cocktail it’s good to know if it’s over 1000°. 1400° is he autoignition temp and I can’t achieve that at home but if I can at least get it above 1000° I can aerosolize the alcohol enough that a match will set it on fire.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That latest thermoworks seems a bit silly.
I use IR guns to check my large griddle, and also have one to make sure my kids’ bath water is good. It especially works well for black bodies like my griddle that spans half my burners.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My IR gun has turned into a glorified cat toy. On the bright side it’s lasted forever and I’ve never had to buy another laser pointer since.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Want to get a hamburger smasher for smashed burgers. Whats the latest hotness?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flaggy posted:

Do you mean a spatula?

e; I got something like https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Metal-Griddle-Spatula/dp/B07H4TDDX7/ref=sr_1_87?keywords=spatula&qid=1551383903&s=gateway&sr=8-87 a decade ago that serves its purpose.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

For burger smashing and other general spatula work I highly recommend fish turners, often also called fish spatulas. I'm phone posting but here's a good article: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/fish-spatula

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those are good but not for smashburgin

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Check the burg thread. A few of us have the same spatula and have posted it there. It is the holy grail of burg smashing spatulas.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Re: IR Chat

Thermoworks is having a 48-hour sale on their IRK-2 industrial IR guns with the circle lasers. 34% off, brings the price down to $58 for just the gun with no probe (normally $89) or $83 with the probe included (normally $140). Sale ends tomorrow.

I’m kinda thinking about picking one of these up to use on my pizza stone. Is there any reason I should consider getting this model instead of one of the cheaper guns on Amazon? Do I need something with a higher temperature range if I’m using it on a pizza stone on a charcoal grill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Re: IR Chat

Thermoworks is having a 48-hour sale on their IRK-2 industrial IR guns with the circle lasers. 34% off, brings the price down to $58 for just the gun with no probe (normally $89) or $83 with the probe included (normally $140). Sale ends tomorrow.

I’m kinda thinking about picking one of these up to use on my pizza stone. Is there any reason I should consider getting this model instead of one of the cheaper guns on Amazon? Do I need something with a higher temperature range if I’m using it on a pizza stone on a charcoal grill?

just buy a thermopop and a cheap rear end IR from harbor freight. honestly if your oven can get hot enough you'll stop caring about checking the temp of your pizza stone and just throw that poo poo on there

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I. M. Gei posted:

If you're not in a hurry, the lower-end IR-GUN-S goes on sale regularly. I impulse bought one during a sale a couple years ago, think I paid like US$20 for it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus I really want the circle laser but I already have two Ir guns for my household

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hed posted:

Jesus I really want the circle laser but I already have two Ir guns for my household

Just as well. They sold out their whole stock yesterday, so now delivery isn’t expected until early May.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm moving to the US in a few weeks and will need new appliances. I currently have a Bamix and a Kenwood MultiPro FP920 and I love them both, but they are both getting left behind due to the power difference.

I already know I want a Vitamix. Is there a stick blender that won't make me miss my Bamix? SymmetryrtemmyS suggested Magimix for food processors so I'm checking those out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can get a Bamix here

Edit: if the Magimix is too pricey and you want something in the price range of your old Kenwood check this Cuisinart out

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DF...rt+food+&sr=8-3

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 6, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s the difference between the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY and the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNYAMZ? Because according to Cuisinart’s website there’s a difference.

I almost asked this before I bought one of them but I decided someone itt would ridicule me if I did (because apparently that’s a thing I have to deal with now), so I stayed quiet.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No idea.... the manual is the same across them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Someone mentioning your name once is not the same as ridicule, nor did you have to deal with it

If you've looked at the details and all the specs are the same, I suspect the one with the -AMZ suffix is just packaged particularly for Amazon or something. For a difference of four cents ($0.04), I would just get the more popular one

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s the difference between the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY and the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNYAMZ? Because according to Cuisinart’s website there’s a difference.

I almost asked this before I bought one of them but I decided someone itt would ridicule me if I did (because apparently that’s a thing I have to deal with now), so I stayed quiet.
Based on the product number I'd guess the first one is packaged for retail sale and the second for sale on amazon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

Someone mentioning your name once is not the same as ridicule, nor did you have to deal with it

There’s been other stuff in other threads too, but I’m not getting into that here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Both are only designated to be sold in New York

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah lots of times there will be identical products but with different model numbers because of where they're sold. The amazon one likely doesn't have colorful packaging or something since it's not destined for a shelf display. Also, some big box retailers insist on special model numbers just for their stores so they don't have to price match even if that's a service they offer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m sorry you felt discouraged from asking a question because I made an extremely obtuse reference to an, admittedly hilarious, series of posts in the smoking meat thread when you first got started. Unlike some goons you have actually learned things since then and I don’t find your posts anywhere near as weird anymore.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Lawnie posted:

I’m sorry you felt discouraged from asking a question because I made an extremely obtuse reference to an, admittedly hilarious, series of posts in the smoking meat thread when you first got started. Unlike some goons you have actually learned things since then and I don’t find your posts anywhere near as weird anymore.

That avatar on the other hand. :shudder:

Honestly, the towel thing wasn't a dumb question. Once you said why you were asking for specific suggestions, it all made sense. You want the drat things to be proper absorbent. Fair game.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

Thanks. :)

Admittedly I’m a little sensitive because this isn’t the only subforum this has happened in. There’s a few people in BFC that are straight-up convinced I’m some sort of Eric Andre high art performance troll and they won’t let me post in the Resume thread anymore. Sometimes they tell people in other threads that I’m a troll and to not give me advice. One time R. Guyovich probed me for trolling when I wasn’t and then wouldn’t respond to my PM about it.

It honestly kinda pisses me off and I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing wrong. Like... is it the number of questions I ask? Is it that my questions are dumb?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 6, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
between the screen name and avatar and weird questions i honestly see why they think you're a long-con troll poster but you're not an offensive poster so idk

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dino. posted:

That avatar on the other hand. :shudder:

Why do people hate this av so much? Everyone seemed to love it when I first bought it. It came from a BYOB thread originally.

I’ve been wanting to change it, but the one I want to repace it with is oversized and I need to find a mod willing to help me buy it. Also I’m still trying to come up with some text for it.

EDIT: Sorry to be off-topic, I just want to clear this stuff up since the subject came up. I’ll wrap it up quick.

EDIT 2:

BraveUlysses posted:

what the poo poo dude look at it, it looks like some sort of stupid loving pepe poo poo

It came from a goldmined thread.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 7, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what the poo poo dude look at it, it looks like some sort of stupid loving pepe poo poo

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I. M. Gei posted:

Why do people hate this av so much? Everyone seemed to love it when I first bought it. It came from a BYOB thread originally.

I’ve been wanting to change it, but the one I want to repace it with is oversized and I need to find a mod willing to help me buy it. Also I’m still trying to come up with some text for it.

EDIT: Sorry to be off-topic, I just want to clear this stuff up since the subject came up. I’ll wrap it up quick.

EDIT 2:

It came from a goldmined thread.

It looks goddamned creepy. Moving avatars are the worst. I AM LOOKING AT YOU, CASU. YOU AND THOSE WORMS.

Srsly though, it wasn't a dumb question (RE: towels), but it came off that way, because it's an equipment thread, and you were asking about something as basic as towels. Of all the things to get specific about, towels aren't really high on that list. BUT, it made hella more sense when you were like, "I've been burned on this before guys. Just humour me and tell me what towels to buy."

dino. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 7, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He wasn't even the person asking about towels!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dino. posted:

to sperg about

Not to be a prude/continue this dumb derail, but could you maybe not use “sperg” as a verb? I actually do have autism and it comes off as super lovely.

I used to say it too, but now that words like “retarded” are falling out of favor, using autism as a pejorative reads a little worse than it used to.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 7, 2019