Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not changing the status quo cements the LPC/CPC status as A/B parties, and prevents upstarts from gaining any traction. Convincing half a riding to switch from their party of choice to your new no name party is difficult, but getting 2-4% of the popular vote is possible/easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not changing the status quo cements the LPC/CPC status as A/B parties, and prevents upstarts from gaining any traction. Convincing half a riding to switch from their party of choice to your new no name party is difficult, but getting 2-4% of the popular vote is possible/easier.

And they know conservative policy won't be popular long term and will engender a backlash. At least that the what they bank on. Government as performative theatre, both parties swearing fealty to industry who are the real masters

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't consider always him an entirely reliable narrator but this Warren Kinsella piece seems quite believable and certainly helps fill in the picture of how Trudeau and Butts operate. This account also gains a lot of plausibility from the fact almost every Liberal backbencher seems to despise Trudeau and Butts for giving them the high hat:

[Trigger warning for Toronto Sun style no more than two sentence per paragraph prose]

quote:

Riddle time. Guess who?

Ego story.

It’s the final days of the 2011 Ontario general election campaign. It’s been a tough, grinding race.

At the Ontario Liberal Party central campaign headquarters on St. Mary’s Street, off Yonge, the mood is uncertain. We don’t know if we are going to win or lose. It’s been that kind of campaign.

Some of our MPPs and Ministers are resigned to defeat. One Minister told me he was running again because, “if we’re going to go down, I want to go down with my friends. I owe them that.”

He – him – lopes into the campaign headquarters. We talk. I tell him I’m writing a column for the Sun about the amazing people I have been privileged to serve with – in 2003, 2007 and now 2011. People like Don Guy, Laura Miller, Chris Morley. My friends.

He looks concerned. “Don’t put my name in that column, Warren!” he says. “I can’t be in there!”

I don’t argue. He’s working for an association now. He has to be careful, I assume. I don’t put his name in the column.

Election night: we’re all in Ottawa in a suite at the Chateau Laurier. The McGuintys are all there, too, and we all watch the result come in. A majority or a minority?

We win – a minority. Miss the majority by a single seat.

He’s there. He asks Lisa how many TV hits I’m doing. She tells him. He smiles. “I’m doing more,” he says.

I’m puzzled. He’s doing media? He said he didn’t want to be named, didn’t he?

When my column comes out about how we won, and who was on the central OLP campaign, his name isn’t in it. He gets in touch.

“Why didn’t you include my name?” he says.

Ambition story.

A report shows up in the media. It quotes Justin Trudeau saying that he’s all about policy and ideas and stuff like that. But Jean Chretien, Trudeau sniffs, was only preoccupied “with winning.”

That’s what it says. Seriously.

We, the ones who are loyal to one of the greatest Prime Ministers in Canadian history – one of the winningest, too – are livid. We are pissed off.

Chretien has been nothing but supportive – at fundraisers, at rallies, at whatever they ask for. Why would Trudeau say such a thing?

I get him touch with him, because he’s one of Trudeau’s top guys, now. He’s left the environmental association and is working for Trudeau.

“What the Hell?” I say, and use his name. “Why would Trudeau say that?”

He says he doesn’t know. He says he didn’t know Trudeau was going to say that.

“Bullshit,” I say. “Everyone knows Trudeau doesn’t say anything unless you approve it first. Do you really want us to respond to what he said?”

“No,” he says. Pause. “Just have Chretien call me. I’ll talk to him.”

“What?” I say again, louder, and say his name. “He’s a Prime Minister, for Chrissakes! He doesn’t speak to staff about poo poo like this! He speaks to Trudeau!”

Later on, after they won, I hear that Trudeau doesn’t ever meet with his own MPs and cabinet ministers.

He has this guy, his university pal, talk to them instead.

It’s years ago. It’s at the start.

I meet Justin Trudeau at this guy’s birthday dinner. It’s in a private room at a restaurant in downtown Toronto. Trudeau arrives late, trailing apologies and charisma.

Between courses, I watch them together. They’re close, that much is obvious. They laugh at each other’s jokes, they smile. It’s a nice night.

Much afterwards, I try and picture how they met. How did they – the millionaire’s son, the one used to jets and celebrities, connect with the kid from lesser circumstances, from far-away Nova Scotia – meet? How did that happen?

I picture him sliding into a chair in a classroom at McGill, and seeing that famous mop of dark hair, the impressive jawline. I picture him saying to himself: “I’m going to meet Justin Trudeau.”

And he did. And they did. And they made a bit of history together.

And now it’s all going to Hell in a handbasket, because those two guys – who never lacked for ambition – seriously, seriously underestimated the wrong women.

Because, eventually, too much ego and ambition will trip you up in Ottawa. Always.

No riddle.

You know his name.

Not that I really care about any of the specific grievances here - disrespecting Chretien, oh no! :ohdear: - but all the same this is clearly a leadership style that was really efficient at alienating people and pissing off subordinates.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

“The meetings he attends as prime minister are not business meetings. Rather, they are high-level meetings centred on relationship building and ensuring that all parties are moving forward together. Specific issues or details are worked out before, subsequently or independently of any meeting he attends.”

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Did Charlie Angus do something today that spurred on this take? https://twitter.com/supriyadwivedi/status/1103348720119144448

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pinterest Mom posted:

“The meetings he attends as prime minister are not business meetings. Rather, they are high-level meetings centred on relationship building and ensuring that all parties are moving forward together. Specific issues or details are worked out before, subsequently or independently of any meeting he attends.”

Out of context this sounds like a government where the ministers have autonomy and aren't just lackeys for the party leader.

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
Question: what is with liberals including clover in their twitter handles?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Master of Stealth posted:

St. Patrick's Day next week?

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
Okay I'm an idiot never mind, I just noticed it a lot when #istandwithtrudeau was trending lol

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Master of Stealth posted:

In some cases it is to show support of a twitter user that Warren Kinsella was trying to dox so that he could sue them. I think they were criticizing Kinsella, and he didn't like that.

And apparently all of those chickens and wine glasses in usernames are to show that you're blocked by Rempel!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/stephenlautens/status/1102403292238274565

It's to gently caress with Kinsella.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Warren Kinsella is hilarious. I cannot think of another political communications/campaign guy who has had highly visible and public falling outs with at least half his prominent clients, sometimes before the election campaign is even over.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Helsing posted:

Warren Kinsella is hilarious. I cannot think of another political communications/campaign guy who has had highly visible and public falling outs with at least half his prominent clients, sometimes before the election campaign is even over.

Well it wouldn’t be punk rock if he actually kept his clients/did his job competently!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 35 hours!)

Blood Boils posted:

Hahaha, yesss Fraser Canyon geography jokes

That's just muddying things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cowofwar posted:

I enjoy having to consult with my doctor every year to confirm that yes, I still need insulin for the disease with which I will die, because the pharmacist is too much of a loving tool to accept one iota of liability and my insurer is a profit seeking corporation.

Come on down to BC, where I can renew your insulin prescription forever under my name

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Ugh

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/health-minister-says-system-changes-will-improve-care-while-jobs-may-be-lost

quote:

WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government is planning major changes to the administration of the province’s health system and is promising better care will result.

Under an omnibus bill introduced in the legislature, the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba will no longer be a stand-alone legal entity and will be absorbed by Shared Health.

Shared Health will also take over operations of the Selkirk Mental Health Centre, putting addictions and mental health services under one roof.

Policy and planning will be more centralized in the Health Department, while regional health authorities will focus on front-line delivery.

Health Minister Cameron Friesen says the result will be a more streamlined system with a more even standard of care provincewide.

Friesen says the changes are not aimed at cutting costs, but there could be some disruption in jobs as the changes take effect over the next few years.

The changes are based on three consultant reports the government had commissioned.

Friesen also says regional health authorities will have to sign accountability agreements with the government that will set out performance goals and measurements.

He said there will be consequences of some sort — yet to be determined — to ensure the goals are met.

“There will be a variety of methods by which … health authorities will be held accountable to do what they said they were going to do.”

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spoiler alert: the consequences are privatization

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
god-tier headline

https://twitter.com/BnChronicle/status/1103340923109421056

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think it's possible to enjoy your job a little too much.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
never realized what a good pun taint could be

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBC posted:

never realized what a good pun taint could be

It was a good pun.

Taint what it used to be.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Putting mental health and addictions centres together instead of operating separately actually makes sense, but it's not like we don't know that's NOT the reason for the "efficiencies".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Today in weirdo wonk corner, we find the elusive person lamenting the death of the OMB

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

Putting mental health and addictions centres together instead of operating separately actually makes sense, but it's not like we don't know that's NOT the reason for the "efficiencies".

Yeah it's frustrating when you see a conservative government do a thing that is actually good on paper, because you know that their end goal is basically to gently caress it all up to "prove" how it doesn't work and the private sector should really be handling it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You can also see that with UBI which, as predicted, is being touted by right-wingers as a way to cut back on welfare.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 7, 2019

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Don't let the door hit you:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ron-taverner-withdraws-from-consideration-for-opp-commissioner-1.5046120

quote:

Ron Taverner has requested that his name be withdrawn from consideration for commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

"This decision is not an easy one for me to make," Taverner wrote in a letter to Community Safety Minister Sylvia Jones. "I believe the OPP requires new leadership and a change in culture at its most senior levels."

Taverner was controversially named by Ontario's Progressive Conservative government to become the next chief of the OPP in late November.

Taverner later requested that the appointment be delayed, and the government said it would "respect" the request while the province's integrity commissioner reviews the circumstances of his selection.

Taverner, a longtime family friend of Premier Doug Ford, did not meet the original requirements for the job posting. The government said it lowered the job qualifications to attract a wider field of candidates. He was later approved as the next OPP commissioner by the Ontario cabinet.

Ford has repeatedly denied any involvement in Taverner's appointment, and said the decision was made by a hiring panel.

Taverner — a 51-year veteran of Toronto police who leads the force's Etobicoke divisions — said he decided to withdraw to protect the integrity of rank-and-file police officers, given the controversy surrounding his appointment.

Taverner's decision comes two days after the dismissal of OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair.

Blair was dismissed Monday for allegedly revealing confidential OPP information, which the Ford government has called a breach of his oath as an officer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm glad the guy who snitched about doug's van got fired.

give doug the van

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dreylad posted:

You can also see that with UB which, as predicted, is being touted by right-wingers as a way to cut back on welfare.
It’s also being pushed by businesses as a way to cut back on benefits and salaries. There are several “CEOs for UBI” type groups that say stuff like “it allows for increased flexibility with regards to hiring and compensation” they also encourage increasing the sales tax to pay for UBI since “people will have the money to pay for the increase”.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

love when pro-business libs are like "oh, you say I'm right wing? would a 'right winger' support venture entrepreneur Andrew Yang and his UBI plan???"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

THC posted:

love when pro-business libs are like "oh, you say I'm right wing? would a 'right winger' support venture entrepreneur Andrew Yang and his UBI plan???"
I’ve been told by multiple UBI supporters that Andrew Yang is actually the most progressive candidate because he is an engineer and therefore his UBI ideas are totally without bias and are only presented as a way to help humanity.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

Come on down to BC, where I can renew your insulin prescription forever under my name

Do pharmacists in BC have access to patient lab results? Can they order new lab tests? You cant in Ontario which is why a pharmacist cant renew an insulin prescription indefinitely.

OCP wants to expand the scope of practice to include stuff like this, CPSO not so much. :(

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

You can also see that with UBI which, as predicted, is being touted by right-wingers as a way to cut back on welfare.

"As predicted" because that has been, from the very beginning, the entire point of UBI? Especially the way that we implemented it in Ontario, which is not a basic income by strict definitions, because it is specifically for people currently on welfare, as a replacement for welfare.

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve been told by multiple UBI supporters that Andrew Yang is actually the most progressive candidate because he is an engineer and therefore his UBI ideas are totally without bias and are only presented as a way to help humanity.

lmao. whatever, more candidates to split the Not-Sanders vote even further

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

xtal posted:

"As predicted" because that has been, from the very beginning, the entire point of UBI? Especially the way that we implemented it in Ontario, which is not a basic income by strict definitions, because it is specifically for people currently on welfare, as a replacement for welfare.
I don’t know enough about UBI to comment but my understanding was that the way it’s supposed to work is that it would replace monthly welfare payments but all other social assistance programs would be kept in place. However, the way it seems to be pitched is that it would replace all, or at least the majority of, social assistance programs. That seems really dumb because the whole point is to assist people in financial need. So the government is giving with one hand and then taking with the other.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also Yang's stated plan to pay for UBI is... a sales tax

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm surprised Taverner is trying to back out of this. I imagine with how Blair got the opp under the microscope recently Taverner wants to quietly duck out before his friendship with Ford gets him in some poo poo.

ONDP should be hammering on this if they aren't already.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

THC posted:

also Yang's stated plan to pay for UBI is... a sales tax
I was told by one of the heads of a “CEOs for UBI” group that a sales tax increase is a net zero since people will now have more money thanks to UBI so they can afford the tax increase. He also said we can drastically cut back on mental health funding since people won’t be depressed anymore because they now have extra money. This comes from a guy who grew up very poor but lucked out massively thanks to the dot com boom in the late 1990s and stock options.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dreylad posted:

xtal posted:

If you have access to piracy, there's a 3 part series that airs in the UK called "Skint Britain Friends Without Benefits" that profiles people in Hartlepool where the Conservative's party's experiment to combine all the various benefit programs into one system and it's pretty eye opening. Like most of those programs, it seems to seek out the most "unlikable" claimaints, people who will look into the camera angry and scream "where's my money" and such, but for somebody who isn't a complete ghoul, it's heartbreaking to see the damage being done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Credit

Just look at that fuckin "criticism" section.

Under the old benefits system, people's rent was being paid directly to their landlords, under the new one it's paid to them and they have to pay the landlords. That's perfect for addicts, because they don't pay, get evicted, become homeless, and can't receive any more cheques. The landlords they featured on the show complained that they used to get one big cheque from the government for all their tenants, and now have to chase or evict everybody, and even said they would never rent to anybody on benefits again. If they claimants can't prove they're looking for work 35 hours a week, they get "sanctioned" which usually removes around half of their benefits. this is for people getting around £700/month and paying more than half to rent. People on disability are constantly re-assessed and get sanctioned if they don't cooperate or of someone says they can work and don't spend 35 hours a week looking for work. There's also a mandatory 5 week wait for benefits to start, as if the people on disability have any sort of savings to live on in the transition.

It's consistently described as "pointlessly cruel" by everybody except Tory MPs

That's the "UBI" the conservatives dream of, and probably the future under Scheer/Kenney/Ford

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 7, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr. Apollo posted:

This comes from a guy who grew up very poor but lucked out massively thanks to the dot com boom in the late 1990s and stock options.

Those must be those bootstraps I keep hearing great things about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Those must be those bootstraps I keep hearing great things about

The dot com boom is a great demonstration of survivor bias because you get all the Bezos defenders talking about him like he deserves all his billions for being such a visionary and investing in retail but on the internet... as if there weren't a thousand other websites doing the exact same thing and he was just the one lucky enough to survive.