Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

NevilleBamshoe posted:

What about crafting systems? Any MMOs with good crafting and preferably a player driven economy?

I heard ESOs crafting was good. I did try it but my backpack got full after a few seconds and it looked like I would have to buy more space with real world money or lots of grinding. Might be wrong though.

If you're subbed you get a bottomless crafting bag which is pretty much essential if you actually want to craft. I thought the crafting was pretty cool for the month I played that game with a sub, though.

I also had fun leveling all the FFXIV crafting and non-fishing gathering classes to 50, but that might be my brain problems.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My experience with the ESO crafting bag was "Neat I can gather all these materials now!" and then i never once crafted a piece of gear.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

jokes posted:

I highly recommend not playing ARR and just watching a video or whatever to get a primer. It's literally like 80 hours of cutscenes and tedious bullshit just to get to the expansion, Heavensward, where it starts to get real, real good. And frankly you won't get through ARR in one or maybe even two months, so you're saving money spending $20 or whatever to skip the pointless bullshit.

As I just found out the $18 way, the ARR story skipper DOES NOT level you to 50, it just completes all the main story quests. There is a different item you can buy that is PER JOB that will level that job to 60.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I've hated every Mon Hunter game I've played, would I like Worlds? Someone posted earlier in the thread that they just heal others who fight which sounds like something I would enjoy. What I don't like about Mon Hunter games is running after big beasts and dealing with the combat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

iddqd posted:

What I don't like about Mon Hunter games is running after big beasts and dealing with the combat.

That's literally the entire game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

iddqd posted:

If I've hated every Mon Hunter game I've played, would I like Worlds? Someone posted earlier in the thread that they just heal others who fight which sounds like something I would enjoy. What I don't like about Mon Hunter games is running after big beasts and dealing with the combat.

Bad news,

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I purchased a month of membership on Origin to give Anthem a spin.

It plays fine on keyboard+mouse as well as gamepad and is very well optimized.

It is essentially the DESTINY2 game but bioware. This is how Anthem differs from Destiny2, everything else is essentially the same.

-better graphics
-insanely well optimized
-actual flight, respectable flight model
-underwater exploration and better level design in general
-3rd person only
-no pvp
-freedom to pick and switch between abilities instead of a narrow talent-tree approach
-abilities categorized in combo stackers and finishers, allowing for lovely combos and "fun" synergies for builds and squads

If you are a borderlands 2 fan and a destiny 2 fan but no longer want to play either of those, try it. It has flight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

I purchased a month of membership on Origin to give Anthem a spin.

It plays fine on keyboard+mouse as well as gamepad and is very well optimized.

It is essentially the DESTINY2 game but bioware. This is how Anthem differs from Destiny2, everything else is essentially the same.

-better graphics
-insanely well optimized
-actual flight, respectable flight model
-underwater exploration and better level design in general
-3rd person only
-no pvp
-freedom to pick and switch between abilities instead of a narrow talent-tree approach
-abilities categorized in combo stackers and finishers, allowing for lovely combos and "fun" synergies for builds and squads

If you are a borderlands 2 fan and a destiny 2 fan but no longer want to play either of those, try it. It has flight.

This advert paid for by EA.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Anthem is being almost universally panned by critics so far and my brief taste of it was overwhelmingly mediocre. It's more like Destiny 2 pre-Forsaken, i.e. wait a year or so until it's been improved and discounted if you don't want to feel ripped off.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I should add a remark about the gross loading times and the laughably short missions between loadscreens, and the double, hell, triple loadscreens between missions

IDK what the game aspires to be but right now it doesn't even have proper freeroam

It also does not have music. No music

e: they hot-fixed the loading times, its now somewhat more bearable. The official release is today.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2019

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

bear is driving! posted:

As I just found out the $18 way, the ARR story skipper DOES NOT level you to 50, it just completes all the main story quests. There is a different item you can buy that is PER JOB that will level that job to 60.

Pretty much but it saves a ton of time when you're not idling b/t fetch quests in ARR but then again :20bux:

I played through ARR and HW so I'm a broken person who probably doesn't value their time enough. HW is much better than ARR though and you may feel confused if you start at lvl 60 vs 1.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anthem does have music but its quiet and tends to get overblown by all the gun and skill sounds. It also does have free roam. Loading screens are long but there is definitely a fun game there, the reviewers have been itching to pan it since the alpha so I am not shocked they found any small thing they could to attack.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Byolante posted:

Anthem does have music but its quiet and tends to get overblown by all the gun and skill sounds. It also does have free roam. Loading screens are long but there is definitely a fun game there, the reviewers have been itching to pan it since the alpha so I am not shocked they found any small thing they could to attack.

it's so boringly generic you don't need a conspiracy to figure that out

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

mike12345 posted:

it's so boringly generic you don't need a conspiracy to figure that out

The combat feels good, the skills are interesting and the dungeons are designed well. Its a looter shooter and thats what matters.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Alder posted:

Pretty much but it saves a ton of time when you're not idling b/t fetch quests in ARR but then again :20bux:

I played through ARR and HW so I'm a broken person who probably doesn't value their time enough. HW is much better than ARR though and you may feel confused if you start at lvl 60 vs 1.

Yeah, I'm just toughing out the 38-50 grind. I'm already 44, so it shouldn't be much longer until I hit 50.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I did all of ARR post-60 content and HW in like 2 weeks. It was brutal but somewhat enjoyable...
Then I did all of Stormblood since it came out a week later in the opening 48 hours or so since I was lucky to not get stuck on the bottleneck early on.

So how broke brained am I?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ARR to HW is a transition from a story-based JRPG within an MMO to a typical MMO with a storyline.

HW to SB is a continuation of a typical MMO with a storyline.

Whereas ARR artificially inflated a bunch of poo poo solely to waste your time, HW and SB are more like "once you finish the MSQ there's only really a typical ilvl grind you'd expect from an MMO, which we tried to make fun and cool".

This is why I feel ARR was awful-- ARR expected your attention, HW/SB kind of tried to earn it.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Byolante posted:

The combat feels good, the skills are interesting and the dungeons are designed well. Its a looter shooter and thats what matters.

Could use less crashes, and a chat function wouldn't hurt either, in case you ever wish to type messages to other people

It's fun though, I'm gonna reach the max lvl and see where it goes from there

This is the first ever online game devoid of a chat function afaik, welcome to the future

Byolante posted:

It also does have free roam.

You can't run into other people randomly, therefore it isn't "proper" freeroam. More like another instanced version of the game map with world events instead of mission objectives, and the usual squad limit of 4

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 25, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Tera Online that old KMMO?

Remember PUBG that slightly less old battle royale?

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/tera-x-pubg

I'm the jeep asset that isn't even touching the ground properly in the promo screenshot.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DancingShade posted:

Remember Tera Online that old KMMO?

Remember PUBG that slightly less old battle royale?

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/tera-x-pubg

I'm the jeep asset that isn't even touching the ground properly in the promo screenshot.
I am sure Tera armor in PUBG would attract some people to game, but not PUBG armor in Tera.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Everquest progression server Mangler drops March 16
:getin:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dwesa posted:

I am sure Tera armor in PUBG would attract some people to game, but not PUBG armor in Tera.

I think you'd be surprised, evidently PUBG mobile of all things is popular as hell all across Asia.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

Everquest progression server Mangler drops March 16
:getin:

a month for expansion unlocks? gross

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

diapermeat posted:

a month for expansion unlocks? gross
Mangler is 3 months, Selo is 1 and I agree with your assessment

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Considering getting back into MMOs but what is even there to play?

Tried FFXIV, it was super slow when playing the free trial.
The state of World of Warcraft is terrible, from what I've heard.

Billions of dead korean grind games.

I guess PSO2 is something but then I'll have to get the translator and other garbage.

What does that even leave?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TalonDemonKing posted:

I guess PSO2 is something but then I'll have to get the translator and other garbage.

Lots of activity in the EQ1 thread since there’s new progression servers. Small revival in the EQ2 community as well with progression servers on the way.

Other than that, all I can think of is games that will be coming out in the future like Pantheon (lol).

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Truly the darkest timeline

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TalonDemonKing posted:

FFXIV is slow because the first.... probably 50 levels it's designed to be played by people who have never played an MMO before so it explains literally every little thing. And the base game also has one of the most tedious stories, and all the good poo poo is gated behind getting past the first 50 lvls and the story.

WoW is just bad and dumb and has been for a long time with no signs of improving.

Don't Play Korean MMOs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TalonDemonKing posted:

Guild Wars 2 played super casually.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Mr. Pickles posted:

I should add a remark about the gross loading times and the laughably short missions between loadscreens, and the double, hell, triple loadscreens between missions

IDK what the game aspires to be but right now it doesn't even have proper freeroam

It also does not have music. No music

e: they hot-fixed the loading times, its now somewhat more bearable. The official release is today.

Every once and a while I check out the MMO HMO to see if there is an actual good MMO coming out. But here I find you shilling the known terrible game Anthem and outright lying about load times, etc. etc. Care to explain how a level 1 weapon is more powerful than a top tier level 45 one?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

TalonDemonKing posted:

iddqd posted:

Lots of activity in the EQ1 thread since there’s new progression servers.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Truly the dankest timeline

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I’ve started playing Aardwolf MUD again to scratch my mom progression itch. If I’m going to just grind I might as well hang out with chill people while I do.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Glenn Quebec posted:

Every once and a while I check out the MMO HMO to see if there is an actual good MMO coming out. But here I find you shilling the known terrible game Anthem and outright lying about load times, etc. etc. Care to explain how a level 1 weapon is more powerful than a top tier level 45 one?

lil' bitch

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

gently caress yourself it's not even an MMO in any sense.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm pretty certain the MMO genre is dead and my only interest anymore is in private servers for older MMOs or new MMOs that mimic old ones.

Even then, they all have their drawbacks and I end up playing something else.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't know, i just paid for a month access and now I'm never playing this ever again. ANTHEM is fun for approx. 7-10 days of light gameplay, which is better than most AAA releases nowadays. Frankly, these games are made for little children, not for you and me.

I started playing 3 days before "release" and the loading times were loving horrendous. By the time they "released" they did fix it so that the game was playable. Before that the game was not playable, you had to wait like 7 minutes for every 10 minute mission.

Anyway, I hope you didn't buy this game, it''s not worth the price. It's only worth checking out if you like looters and own an Origin access subscription. The action in it is very good, albeit shamelessly repetitive

PS: the advertised "discounts" they offer for origin subscribers are laughable, don't count on those.

If you want a tru mmo to keep you on your toes theres your WoW, your EVE, your final fantasy, GW2...and other obscure titles I'm sure you won't miss
If you happen to like less graphics intensive titles there's also OSRS and aberoth, and RotMG, I like those, they are hardcore poo poo on the browser, and they truly reward pouring in those hours. Real hardcore poo poo. Also, play MUDs, the Discworld awaits you, it has always been there for you, and there it shall remain for all time.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 7, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Pickles posted:

Frankly, these games are made for little children, not for you and me.

I stopped reading here because the fact that you said this and then immediately followed up with two paragraphs about video games was too delectable.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

So Eve online and Anthem are one and the same to you?

They're not, though. One's for kids, the other for 30yo kids

Trust me I could go on abt videogames like, indefinately :P

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I played the Anthem 10 hour trial and it never got fun or good.

I almost wish they could take the Planetside engine/world and make a looter shooter out of it with dungeons and bosses.