Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the gags of buggy falling upwards are so loving good

when they kept cutting back to him doing that turn around look at the cameras and going like "are you talking about the legendary pirate....me, buggy the clown?" i was dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

buggy is going to usurp power from im somehow and it's gonna own

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

buggy will be the new soul king (the bleach kind not the brook kind)

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Kild posted:

buggy will be the new soul king (the bleach kind not the brook kind)

But what about the one true GOD USOPP??

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

U-DO Burger posted:

buggy is going to usurp power from im somehow and it's gonna own

Nothing would make me happier than Buggy being the final boss.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

the gags of buggy falling upwards are so loving good

when they kept cutting back to him doing that turn around look at the cameras and going like "are you talking about the legendary pirate....me, buggy the clown?" i was dying

Personally, I found the watching crowd's increasingly hostile reaction to as the best part of the joke.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Luffy's going to be Pirate King for like five minutes, die from all the lifespan shortening, then suddenly Buggy becomes Pirate King.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Luffy's going to be Pirate King for like five minutes, die from all the lifespan shortening, then suddenly Buggy becomes Pirate King.

Luffy's final battle will cost him so much lifespan he'll fall into debt, retroactively die 5 minutes before he became pirate king and history will just plaster over the time hiccup by making Buggy the Pirate King even though he wasn't even there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

luffy gives one piece to buggy for a second and buggy accidentally swallows it

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Hey thread I finished reading Fishman Island arc in the colored manga and I have some questions.

I stopped watching the anime around Marineford because of course I did, but I remember hearing how the anime shits on some plot points of the Fishman Island arc and I wanted to know if that was true.

Is it true that the anime adds some backstory about Hody and his friends being captured by humans when they were kids, which would kind of give them a reason to hate humans. Wasn’t it supposed to be a really big deal that Hody and his friends are a generation produced by ignorance and racism perpetuated by adults who can’t let go of hate and racism for whatever reason, like Arlong?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DanZX posted:

Hey thread I finished reading Fishman Island arc in the colored manga and I have some questions.

I stopped watching the anime around Marineford because of course I did, but I remember hearing how the anime shits on some plot points of the Fishman Island arc and I wanted to know if that was true.

Is it true that the anime adds some backstory about Hody and his friends being captured by humans when they were kids, which would kind of give them a reason to hate humans. Wasn’t it supposed to be a really big deal that Hody and his friends are a generation produced by ignorance and racism perpetuated by adults who can’t let go of hate and racism for whatever reason, like Arlong?

That's correct. The added anime scene changes Hody's motivation completely.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DanZX posted:

I am sure the manga covered this but the anime added poo poo apparently.
basically the fisher pirates were made up of former slaves and for a while were split between being pirates and being liberators raiding human settlements that had fishmen captives (but freeing everyone fishman or not)

some of the people saw what tiger was doing as heroic and merciful as he helped anyone
some of the fishmen saw what tiger was doing as rebellion against the humans.

from one side we got jinbei's pirates.
from the other side we got arlong.

arlong was a comrade of jinbei but thought jinbei was too nice to humans he set out to form his own pirate crew and jinbei not wanting to make things worse with the fishmen he let arlong go off to do what he wanted and was intending for arlong's fate to be a message to other fishmen that violence ultimately solved nothing.

Hody did not learn that lesson and was riled up by all the news of arlong's rampages he wanted to join arlong when the arlong pirates returned but due to losing to the strawhats they never did hody's racism was a product of hearing the bad things humans did and not wanting to tolerate humans continued cruelty though things are supposedly different in this day and age.

The main flaw being that hody's experiences with humans were all hearsay/2nd hand he personally had never endured any hardship at the hands of humans and just used humanity's shittiness to justiful his own shittiness.

This arc reminds me a lot of the America I heard about as a kid and the America I faced as soon as I was old enough to be seen as "scary"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ok I feel like I’ve gotta be coming up on the time skip? There is a ton of talk about the New World, they escaped gramps, and there was a cameo of people from older arcs. I don’t wanna know when it is but I know it exists

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Ok I feel like I’ve gotta be coming up on the time skip? There is a ton of talk about the New World, they escaped gramps, and there was a cameo of people from older arcs. I don’t wanna know when it is but I know it exists

you will have no doubt.....stop looking forward to it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

At the same time, please please look forward to it and the rest of One Piece.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

reverie is actually levely what to heck

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Mary Geoise (pronounced mah-ree joe-ah)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tanjiahdo lofulamingo was the correct spelling all along

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

DizzyBum posted:

At the same time, please please look forward to it and the rest of One Piece.

When I started this manga I was like “holy poo poo how am I going to read 900 chapters and not get bored” and now I’m dreading there’s only like 500 chapters until I’m at where it currently is what will I do when I catch up

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Still waiting for Buggy to train his fruit to the point where he can split into microscopic pieces.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

DizzyBum posted:

That's correct. The added anime scene changes Hody's motivation completely.

Wow the anime scenes are dumb.

AkumaHokoru posted:

I am sure the manga covered this but the anime added poo poo apparently.
basically the fisher pirates were made up of former slaves and for a while were split between being pirates and being liberators raiding human settlements that had fishmen captives (but freeing everyone fishman or not)

some of the people saw what tiger was doing as heroic and merciful as he helped anyone
some of the fishmen saw what tiger was doing as rebellion against the humans.

from one side we got jinbei's pirates.
from the other side we got arlong.

arlong was a comrade of jinbei but thought jinbei was too nice to humans he set out to form his own pirate crew and jinbei not wanting to make things worse with the fishmen he let arlong go off to do what he wanted and was intending for arlong's fate to be a message to other fishmen that violence ultimately solved nothing.

Hody did not learn that lesson and was riled up by all the news of arlong's rampages he wanted to join arlong when the arlong pirates returned but due to losing to the strawhats they never did hody's racism was a product of hearing the bad things humans did and not wanting to tolerate humans continued cruelty though things are supposedly different in this day and age.

The main flaw being that hody's experiences with humans were all hearsay/2nd hand he personally had never endured any hardship at the hands of humans and just used humanity's shittiness to justiful his own shittiness.

This arc reminds me a lot of the America I heard about as a kid and the America I faced as soon as I was old enough to be seen as "scary"

Thanks for the clarification, that’s kinda what I gathered but the additions in the anime kinda undermines that.

Kashuno posted:

When I started this manga I was like “holy poo poo how am I going to read 900 chapters and not get bored” and now I’m dreading there’s only like 500 chapters until I’m at where it currently is what will I do when I catch up

I love One Piece so much that I try to re read it once a year, but to spice things up I’m reading the digital colored version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I switched from the anime to the manga around Water 7 and no regrets, they're running on fumes nowadays.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1103484160436510721

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you could have any of the fruit which one would it be. i would probably take the door door fruit or the silence one

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mochi Mochi fruit.

Eat nothing but donuts all day and remain super jacked

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
horu horu no mi

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Uncreative answer is the Heal-Heal fruit that Mansherry had. Easy to use and would lead to a new career path in like, sports medicine or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Absolutely the Door Door Fruit. Air Doors are absolutely loving world breaking, I mean it's effectively flying, invisibility, and psuedo-teleportation all at once. I don't know if there's some drawback to it that Oda never mentioned or something but that would be rad as heck.

If not that, then the Clear Clear fruit. Being visible is lame.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oddium posted:

if you could have any of the fruit which one would it be. i would probably take the door door fruit or the silence one

Same on the Door Door, that poo poo's just so useful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All I ask for in a fruit is mobility, I wanna go places, I don't wanna fight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

oddium posted:

phoenix

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want kuma's fruit so i can run an 'airport' that's just me sitting in a room poking people as they come in for 8 hours a day

id be rich

plus you can push out your own pain and fatigue

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

you'd all pick robin's fruit and you know it

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Countblanc posted:

horu horu no mi

Ditto. Easy answer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oddium posted:

Munch munch because being able to eat anything and have it fused to me sound crazy freaking good.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Countblanc posted:

horu horu no mi

:same:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Goro goro no mi because turning into lightning would be rad.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Toki Toki no mi so I can read the end of One Piece.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

oddium posted:

Rumble Rumble Fruit. With enough control, I'd be able to charge my devices without needing chargers, not to mention being able to skimp on how much electricity I need to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

oddium posted:

chapter chapter no mi so I could read the next freakin One Piece chapter already!!!! :D