Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

If I have seven random episodes downloaded of a 200+ episode show I now have to scroll through 200 episodes looking for the ones I have downloaded. Their solution to this is to archive everything I don't have downloaded, then go unarchived the whole feed when I want to find new episodes.

Can you star them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ringu0 posted:

Can you star them?

That's not a solution.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mango sentinel posted:

If I have seven random episodes downloaded of a 200+ episode show I now have to scroll through 200 episodes looking for the ones I have downloaded. Their solution to this is to archive everything I don't have downloaded, then go unarchived the whole feed when I want to find new episodes.

Can you make a filter for downloaded?

(I haven't updated to the new version, yet.)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Showing archived episodes is literally one click, presuming you've finished your random episodes. Two clicks if you haven't. You'll live.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like the way the app looks. :)

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

mango sentinel posted:

A pocketcasts rep suggested in the subreddit to make a custom filter to do this (and that they were "looking to add more sorting options to a future update"). It's tedious since you have to make one per podcast but it's something...

Some serious raging going on in there right now. Especially over the loss of playlists.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm pretty disappointed in the pocket casts update. I accidentally deleted every episode I had downloaded in an attempt to cancel pending downloads and like "welp, gently caress me"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The subreddit and the Play Store reviews are getting torn up so I'm hoping they'll sort out most of the mess quickly. Otherwise yeah it's going to be time to look for a new podcast app because yikes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My prediction: this plays out exactly like every other major app redesign ever. Outrage, a wave of bad reviews and angry internet posting, a few small changes to the app to address things that weren't caught in the beta, majority of people just accept it and adapt, it goes back to being one of the go-to app recommendations

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I haven't had any orthotics with the redesign. Everything works the way I'm used to, but then again I just play the most recent stuff from my subscriptions and it just auto plays when my car comes on. So I guess I'm barely in the app anyways

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I fixed my problem after realizing that "Archive = Delete" and just manually downloading everything I had deleted earlier since they still show up as unplayed at least. UI still feels like a mess though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

My prediction: this plays out exactly like every other major app redesign ever. Outrage, a wave of bad reviews and angry internet posting, a few small changes to the app to address things that weren't caught in the beta, majority of people just accept it and adapt, it goes back to being one of the go-to app recommendations

You're correct, of course.

I'm surprised they pushed the beta to stable before having multi-select implemented to avoid the pain of having to archive heard eps that were randomly chosen from a large backcatalog (mango sentinel's problem, and mine when the beta first rolled out) but really it's feature complete and looks far nicer.

Speaking of:

mango sentinel posted:

You have it backward. What you want is to go through the feed and archive anything you've listened to, then the list remaining is what you haven't listened to yet, which you can peruse and download at your leisure. You don't have to toggle, just hide archived eps all the time, and as you listen they'll disappear from the list.

I find once you go through the pain of moving to the archive = listened to/ignored system, the ep list is much more manageable than the old way of downloaded up top, everything else at the bottom system. Of course without multi-select I'll admit it's painful to go through what in my case was a 600 episode backcatalog randomly listened to in order to set it up without multiselect.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ Yeah, multi-select should have been added back before pushing to stable. That's been a gripe since beta 1. Other than that, it's totally fine after you adjust.

I totally get the knee-jerk gently caress THIS I'M OUT attitude because I felt the same way when the first build came out, but give it a day or two and I imagine most people will have calmed down

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

How do I force the update? In the previous version I could pull out the navigation drawer and click the PocketCasts logo to check for the new episodes, but now the drawer is gone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can slide to archive which should be just as quick as multi-select.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ringu0 posted:

How do I force the update? In the previous version I could pull out the navigation drawer and click the PocketCasts logo to check for the new episodes, but now the drawer is gone.

In the overview you can pull down to refresh. I assume that would start any downloads, but I guess I'm not sure.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It should, but sometimes you don't drag it far enough and it snaps back to the halfway point and you either have to do it again or tap the now exposed Archive button

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Them restoring the ability to sort downloaded episodes to the top would eliminate about 90% of my issues with the update but I guess I also don't really know what's meant to be better about this.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

hooah posted:

In the overview you can pull down to refresh. I assume that would start any downloads, but I guess I'm not sure.

Yeah, I've figured than one out, too, and, just like you, I'm not sure what it's doing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe this was here before and I missed it, but I noticed poking around in the settings that I can tell new downloads to be added to the current queue automatically and I can choose if it's up next or up last. This works out well for me since i have two long running podcasts that I'm listening to from the beginning but I have others that I keep on top of. So, for the current podcasts, I can have them add new episodes next when they come up, for the ones that I'm catching up on, they just add to the end of the queue. So, now I can be completely hands off on queue management.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I like the new PocketCasts, don't @ me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The problem with that is that it archives but does not mark as heard. You could argue that's trivial but if you rely on the distinction for one reason or another then it isn't.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I like the new PocketCasts, don't @ me

Im not a massive fan. Found out the hard way today when I thought it would play the 10 remaining podcasts out of the 500 in the list by tapping "Play all from here" (eg 491-500), but instead it added all my already listened-to 1-490 to the download queue. It then refused to let me delete them until they finished.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

Im not a massive fan. Found out the hard way today when I thought it would play the 10 remaining podcasts out of the 500 in the list by tapping "Play all from here" (eg 491-500), but instead it added all my already listened-to 1-490 to the download queue. It then refused to let me delete them until they finished.

These are the kind of bugs that the beta had for a while and why I'm surprised they went stable. Besides the ambiguity of the command, why would the app not ask for confirmation before downloading ~500 episodes? Pretty much every complaint I have about the app in its current form revolves around things like this.

Does "[Action] from here" mean in the current sort order down? Up? By release date or episode number? Is it inclusive of the item I've selected? I hate ambiguous options that you can't be sure of the outcome before invoking them, especially when it can affect a lot of things at once. Either give a visual cue as to what will happen or ask for confirmation. That's what multiselect allows you to do and what the current system does not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't hate Pocket Casts as it doesn't clash with how I use it. Mark as played and archive are just redundant, from what I see.

Can one change how swiping to add to up next works? Pulling all the way automatically plays that file next. I always want to add to the end of the list, so I gotta swipe halfway and then tap.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Uthor posted:

I don't hate Pocket Casts as it doesn't clash with how I use it. Mark as played and archive are just redundant, from what I see.

I guess the idea with archive is that you can remove episodes you aren't currently interested in from the main (unarchived) list but still be able to go back later and see which ones you skipped since it will still show as unplayed.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What the gently caress, pocketcasts updated to the new lovely UI even though I had auto update off. How do I roll back to the previous version

E: also does anyone have any recommended alternatives

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pocketcasts is still good, take ten minutes and get used to it

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Podcast Addict is my go to because Pocketcasts couldn't deal with a type of password format one of the podcasts I follow uses.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

flatluigi posted:

pocketcasts is still good, take ten minutes and get used to it

It sucks rear end actually.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

mila kunis posted:

What the gently caress, pocketcasts updated to the new lovely UI even though I had auto update off. How do I roll back to the previous version

E: also does anyone have any recommended alternatives

I've never used Pocketcasts, but I use an app called Antenna Pod for podcasts and it works for my needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.danoeh.antennapod

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not seeing notification badges (Pixel 2, Nova launcher) and Beautiful Widgets hasn't updated my weather widget since Tuesday. My home screen is too static!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

I don't hate Pocket Casts as it doesn't clash with how I use it

same. a few things moved slightly and i took a minute and went "oh, ok". later that day i did other things too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Beautiful Widgets

Holy Gingerbread, Batman!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Holy Gingerbread, Batman!

It's always worked, I liked how it looked, and I could set it to launch anything I wanted (Dark Sky). :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok so this is not strictly an Android app thing, but this is freaking weird. I was shuffling my Google Play Music about an hour ago, and Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself To Dance" came on. It was sounding different to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then the vocals started and it didn't sound like Pharrell. And I noticed more and more things "off" about it as it went on.

Just checked YouTube, and also YouTube Music. And there's absolutely a difference. The one on Play Music is like a Party City cover version or something. I think the rest of the album is correct. But this has a different track length and everything.

It's really bizarre.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Ok so this is not strictly an Android app thing, but this is freaking weird. I was shuffling my Google Play Music about an hour ago, and Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself To Dance" came on. It was sounding different to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then the vocals started and it didn't sound like Pharrell. And I noticed more and more things "off" about it as it went on.

Just checked YouTube, and also YouTube Music. And there's absolutely a difference. The one on Play Music is like a Party City cover version or something. I think the rest of the album is correct. But this has a different track length and everything.

It's really bizarre.

I've had Google Play Music replace music that I uploaded with different versions. Live, acoustic, "clean", etc. loving pissed me off. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Uthor posted:

I've had Google Play Music replace music that I uploaded with different versions. Live, acoustic, "clean", etc. loving pissed me off. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

That made me check and yeah, it looks like the one "in my library" is the fake version, and the one I get if I search for it as if I don't own it ends up being the correct one. So weird.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

https://lifehacker.com/fix-incorrectly-matched-songs-on-google-music-5971448

How to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

It's always worked, I liked how it looked, and I could set it to launch anything I wanted (Dark Sky). :shrug:

Just messing with you. Until my recent quest to rid myself of deprecated apps I had been using a Dashclock widget on my homescreen for years. I'm beginning to think the project is going to fail and I'll have to keep a stash of hard-to-find APKs and backups for device transitions... :(

Holy poo poo, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 9, 2019