Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Latest chapter Tactics podcast had a nice summary of like 12 recent big tournaments.

One winner ran a Tau list with like 80 fire warriors and 8 devil fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Latest chapter Tactics podcast had a nice summary of like 12 recent big tournaments.

One winner ran a Tau list with like 80 fire warriors and 8 devil fish

Turns out if your list hides its sack of bricks raw efficiency in relatively inefficient but still more durable baskets it might work.

Guy probably played out of his mind that day.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I understand that Vindicators are bad. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make them work. The stratagem, afaik, opens up for them to pop smoke and shoot, shoot while in melee etc., and their role would be as a midfield distraction Carnifex.

I disagree with you regarding predators being bad, however. They got good range, so they don't need the Ultramarines tactic, and assuming you get first turn, you delete whatever your opponent has that threatens them. If you go second, your opponent has to decide between eating Kill Shot or Linebreaker Bombardment.

Compare a predator to a 190pt relic contemptor with 4 bs2+ lascannons on a chassis with as many wounds, a 2+ save, 5+ invuln, 6+ fnp, 4a at s7 hitting on a 2+ in melee, and getting chapter tactics and try again to tell me predators aren't bad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Agreed. Though I'd say "suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the models Wounds characteristic" so you could survive it with FNP effects but it'd still kill a dude unmodified. Some models with multiple wounds and plasma should still be risking death IMHO.

Also there should be more effects that ignore points of AP. Instead of an invuln, Terminators could reasonably have "ignore the first point of AP by weapon attacks made against this unit" and be arguably more effective than they are now. Turbo-durable things like goldenbois could ignore the first two points of AP.

It would be a nice buff to Iron Hands

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Agreed. Though I'd say "suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the models Wounds characteristic" so you could survive it with FNP effects but it'd still kill a dude unmodified. Some models with multiple wounds and plasma should still be risking death IMHO.

Also there should be more effects that ignore points of AP. Instead of an invuln, Terminators could reasonably have "ignore the first point of AP by weapon attacks made against this unit" and be arguably more effective than they are now. Turbo-durable things like goldenbois could ignore the first two points of AP.

I would rather it just be one mortal wound. My Primaris Captain shouldn't end up dead because of a plasma pistol venting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would rather it just be one mortal wound. My Primaris Captain shouldn't end up dead because of a plasma pistol venting.

The impression I always got was "exploding" less than "venting". If you don't want him dead maybe don't overcharge? There should be significant risk, going from 7 to 8 strength is a big deal against most targets in the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Strobe posted:

The impression I always got was "exploding" less than "venting". If you don't want him dead maybe don't overcharge? There should be significant risk, going from 7 to 8 strength is a big deal against most targets in the game.

Yeah I think the removal of the model is more about their gun no longer existing than instant death necessarily, but it's hard to make that distinction on the table.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Booley posted:

Compare a predator to a 190pt relic contemptor with 4 bs2+ lascannons on a chassis with as many wounds, a 2+ save, 5+ invuln, 6+ fnp, 4a at s7 hitting on a 2+ in melee, and getting chapter tactics and try again to tell me predators aren't bad.

Predators are bad.... rear end! I use them all the time armed to the teeth with lascannons.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

It's a huge difference from previous editions, where you'd still get to make an armor save against it. While I'm OK with it for plasma gunners, hellblaster squads, etc, it's a bit frustrating how much risk you end up taking if you want to overcharge a plasma pistol or combiplasma on a character.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

It's a huge difference from previous editions, where you'd still get to make an armor save against it. While I'm OK with it for plasma gunners, hellblaster squads, etc, it's a bit frustrating how much risk you end up taking if you want to overcharge a plasma pistol or combiplasma on a character.

In previous editions you were also stuck at S7 the entire time; your risk was for zero additional reward. I get it can be frustrating, but it's not like you're taking plasma weapons in the first place because you want to play it safe all the time. There are ways to prevent at least one of 'your wounds characteristic in mortal wounds' that still keeps them mostly lethal to things they should be mostly lethal to (while still keeping it as close to the way it is right now to mean nothing should get a points bump out of it).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I understand that Vindicators are bad. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make them work. The stratagem, afaik, opens up for them to pop smoke and shoot, shoot while in melee etc., and their role would be as a midfield distraction Carnifex.

I disagree with you regarding predators being bad, however. They got good range, so they don't need the Ultramarines tactic, and assuming you get first turn, you delete whatever your opponent has that threatens them. If you go second, your opponent has to decide between eating Kill Shot or Linebreaker Bombardment.

Preds are mediocre but Vindicators are bad as hell and there's no "making them work." Even if they don't get immediately murdered, their actual output is almost non-existent. The more likely scenario for you going is that the opponent kills one of each tank so you can't use either of your strats, and if you go first then grats, you have a few hundred points of bad shooting from the Vindis which would be vastly more efficient from some other source.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Strobe posted:

In previous editions you were also stuck at S7 the entire time; your risk was for zero additional reward. I get it can be frustrating, but it's not like you're taking plasma weapons in the first place because you want to play it safe all the time. There are ways to prevent at least one of 'your wounds characteristic in mortal wounds' that still keeps them mostly lethal to things they should be mostly lethal to (while still keeping it as close to the way it is right now to mean nothing should get a points bump out of it).

S7 was better then, though. It was more similar to S8 now.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Booley posted:

Lascannons are really unreliable in my experience. A flat 3 damage is preferreable to d6 damage. The 40 point difference tends to become more than 40 points when you run Relic units too. But yes, in a vacuum the relic contemptor has a stronger statline. With proper placement, the Ultramarine Chapter Tactic is worthless on a long range tank, though.

Both Repulsors and Predators are considered bad, but there's been some players making good use of them in tournaments recently, and I want to believe it's not just because of lucky rolls.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

No, it's venting. In previous editions an overheating plasma gun wouldn't even prevent you from using the weapon, as the casualty could be taken from anyone in the squad and the justification was that the gun was taken from the still cooling corpse of the previous gunner. The lore, as I understand it, is that from the perspective of the designer the survival of the gun was more important than the survival of the bearer. There's also the fact that plasma can overheat on a vehicle and then still be used the next round.

And while I get your argument, I disagree with it. Taking a wound on an expensive unit or a character already is a consequence. What the current rules do is completely disregard that some units are just tougher than others. A Primaris Hellblaster has the same chance of dying as a guardsman, yet the Hellblaster still pays significantly more.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's also the fact that plasma can overheat on a vehicle and then still be used the next round.

There are some random vehicles that lose the weapon. The Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance, whose entire purpose is to fire off super heated plasma while zooming around the battlefield, can't use its plasma weapon again after it overheats. Under the current rules for to hit modifiers, that is a significant, probably disproportionate, draw back on a "Heavy D6" weapon mounted on a platform that's supposed to move constantly.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Strobe posted:

This would rule because if I overheated a hellblaster that already lost a wound, the unit would take two, so it would half-kill the next guy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

There are some random vehicles that lose the weapon. The Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance, whose entire purpose is to fire off super heated plasma while zooming around the battlefield, can't use its plasma weapon again after it overheats. Under the current rules for to hit modifiers, that is a significant, probably disproportionate, draw back on a "Heavy D6" weapon mounted on a platform that's supposed to move constantly.

Huh. Didn't even know that. I think it's safe to say that the plasma implementation is inconsistent.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

This would rule because if I overheated a hellblaster that already lost a wound, the unit would take two, so it would half-kill the next guy.

Hey man that S8 D2 shot has to have consequences.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ANAmal.net posted:

Now this I just flat out didn't think about. Whoops. :v:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. Didn't even know that. I think it's safe to say that the plasma implementation is inconsistent.

I think it underscores your point. The consequences for overheating are inconsistent in a way that suggests they were not fully thought out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

I think it underscores your point. The consequences for overheating are inconsistent in a way that suggests they were not fully thought out.

Absolutely. I will now claim victory over my Internet discussion, with all of the accolades and ramifications that result.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The land speeder vengeance should never be held up as an example of anything. I love that stupid thing because it's dogshit idiot trash and always has been since it showed up in 6th. We're on its third iteration and GW has yet to figure out the concept of "fast speeder with a giant plasma cannon".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/07/mar-7-shadowspear-focus-vanguard-rulesgw-homepage-post-3/

Vanguard rules article up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

The land speeder vengeance should never be held up as an example of anything. I love that stupid thing because it's dogshit idiot trash and always has been since it showed up in 6th. We're on its third iteration and GW has yet to figure out the concept of "fast speeder with a giant plasma cannon".

It's so so bad lol. I can't believe how awful the gun is. It's not that good even if you ignore it being reasonably likely to explode itself.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

That warlord trait single handley makes me want 30 infiltrators.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's venting. In previous editions an overheating plasma gun wouldn't even prevent you from using the weapon, as the casualty could be taken from anyone in the squad and the justification was that the gun was taken from the still cooling corpse of the previous gunner. The lore, as I understand it, is that from the perspective of the designer the survival of the gun was more important than the survival of the bearer. There's also the fact that plasma can overheat on a vehicle and then still be used the next round.

And while I get your argument, I disagree with it. Taking a wound on an expensive unit or a character already is a consequence. What the current rules do is completely disregard that some units are just tougher than others. A Primaris Hellblaster has the same chance of dying as a guardsman, yet the Hellblaster still pays significantly more.

I might be misremembering but didn't you also get an armor save? A marine could overheat every turn and theoretically not die.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Although point costs nay change this, to me it seems that infiltrators may become my go-to troops of they run about the same as an intercessor squad. Seems like they will preform the board control function better than scouts and will be harder to remove, which to me would justify paying a few more points into my troop tax.

That suppressing fire ability on the new jump pack dudes could be fun for Blood Angels or other assault focused marines, but I'm not sure I'd want to take them for their autocannons alone if I didn't plan on making use of that rule.

The rest seems cute but I'm not sure I'm interested in those snipers as elites or the characters that much. I suppose the Target Priority trait could make Azrael bubble a bit more fun. That, WftDA and 10 Hellblasters seems like a good time.

Any hidden gems I'm missing or something I'm overestimating, or is that where others are too?

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 7, 2019

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Naramyth posted:

edit: this is an incorrect post, the Marksman Carbine requires natural 6s
It's really strong. A 10 man unit of Infiltrators rapid firing can be expected 7-8 automatic wounds on whatever they're shooting at with that trait in action, plus any natural wounds from the additional 7-8 hits on the target. Crimson Fists Vanguard firing at a huge blob of Orks will absolutely demolish the unit.

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 7, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mef989 posted:

The rest seems cute but I'm not sure I'm interested in those snipers as elites or the characters that much. I suppose the Target Priority trait could make Azrael bubble a bit more fun. That, WftDA and 10 Hellblasters seems like a good time.

Any hidden gems I'm missing or something I'm overestimating, or is that where others are too?

The snipers are Heavy Support, and will likely be the cheapest option Primaris (maybe Marines in general) have in that role.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

nite_moogle posted:

It's really strong. A 10 man unit of Infiltrators rapid firing can be expected 7-8 automatic wounds on whatever they're shooting at with that trait in action, plus any natural wounds from the additional 7-8 hits on the target. Crimson Fists Vanguard firing at a huge blob of Orks will absolutely demolish the unit.

Unmodified 6s to hit, but otherwise yes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Maneck posted:

inconsistent

Maneck posted:

not fully thought out.
I mean, this is GW we're talking about here. You seem surprised.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Had a weird thing happen yesterday- I put one of those Kill Team box set Reivers (the ones that come as pale blue plastic) into some Simple Green to soak off a failed test scheme. When I took it out a few days later, the plastic was softer than normal. I was able to pull off the arms with gentle pressure and a few of the smaller bits came off just by touching them.

The hosed up thing is, they had been attached with plastic cement so that really should not have been possible. Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Naramyth posted:

Yeah that's a ridiculous ability. Especially with something like Crimson Fists and Bolter Drill.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NovemberMike posted:

I might be misremembering but didn't you also get an armor save? A marine could overheat every turn and theoretically not die.

Yeah, the "roll a 1 and you die" thing is new to 8th.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Strobe posted:

Unmodified 6s to hit, but otherwise yes.

Bah, you're right. That's a disappointment then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that's a ridiculous ability. Especially with something like Crimson Fists and Bolter Drill.

This absolutely owns though and Bolter Drill will absolutely proc on a 4+.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Edit: I am an idiot and skimmed the wrong profile.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 7, 2019

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Dumb question, but I can fire all the weapons on a tyrannocyte, even the ones that aren’t facing the target, right? As long as it’s in range that is.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Dumb question, but I can fire all the weapons on a tyrannocyte, even the ones that aren’t facing the target, right? As long as it’s in range that is.

Weapon facing doesn't exist anymore. You can also measure weapon ranges from any point on the model or the model's base if it has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I’m being super pedantic here but those new Suppressor dudes don’t have jump packs. I mean, the article says they do, but the rules don’t and neither do the models.

They have ordinary backpacks and grav-chutes. They don’t have fly. Instead they have moon-boot, jump-boots, whatever, that just confer a 12” move.

They have the Jump Pack and Fly keywords.