Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kanfy posted:

Whoah...

E:

Final Fantasy Megathread - People here, it sounds like sickness

Let's have some fun this guy are sick,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I like aspects of both translations, and there's things I like about each that, in a perfect version, I couldn't imagine going without. I'm a filthy centrist please :thermidor: me.

Though speaking of a perfect version, I would kinda like to see a bit more of a 'language' difference of sorts between like the nobles, clergy, and lowborn. Maybe have Delita or Tietra lapse into it now and again, and that's why they get some weird looks at times, idk.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not a huge fan of the FFT retranslation since it feels lime a stage play but no a very well made one. Every characters style and writing feels the same and the dialog is florid without poetry to it.

Its nice to you know, understand whats happening in the story but its not the style I would have gone with.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my problem with the new translation is that it adds nothing substantial. the game makes the same amount of sense which is to say, a fair amount until you get deep into the church's plot, at which point all bets are off and everything is :psyduck: no matter how you size it up, but you might say this is intended because you shouldn't be able to tell where the temple knight ends and the lucavi begins.

calling it siedge weald does not substantially improve the translation. it just makes it more laborious to parse.

i hope that someday we can go back to enjoying dry, colloquial localizations. i appreciate the effort that goes into translating a game like Octopath Traveler but ultimately, it doesn't make more sense, it just makes me roll my eyes.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 3, 2019

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'll admit I like the original localization out of pure nostalgia but the WotL TL makes the game perfect understandable, if a bit too flowery and wordy, all the way through, whereas the OG quickly veers into Wild ARMs 2 territory in the tail end of ch3 and all of ch4

You know, the important parts

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Localization never matters, Nisa already proved that.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Octopath Traveler

Letten mine arrow flyen true.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The PSX translation of FFT has a lot of rough spots but the entirety of the WotL translation sounds like a theater major trying way too hard to impress their professor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
PS1 FFT sounds like English Tidus fake laughing, while PSP FFT sounds like Japanese Tidus fake laughing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Barudak posted:

Im not a huge fan of the FFT retranslation since it feels lime a stage play but no a very well made one. Every characters style and writing feels the same and the dialog is florid without poetry to it.

Its nice to you know, understand whats happening in the story but its not the style I would have gone with.

Pretty much. It's pretentious without actually being able to say anything. Supposedly uneducated commoners speak exactly the same as the nobility. Archaic words and spellings are used because they're archaic , not because they add anything to the writing. Lines ramble on and there's nothing with any punch or impact. It's just a mess of trying way too hard.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nah it's fine. It's good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nae nae methinks the pryblemm is naughte. Tis a fine thynge

you talk but this is all i hear coming out of your mouth

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Almost done with FF3 DS (pass the part I gave up last time and about to fight Unne and Doge), which feel no shame on turning on no encounter and speed up on cheat engine to skip back to the entrance before a boss since they didn't put a save point in the dungeon. I really wish cheat engine would just enable saving anywhere, but meh.

Anyway think after 3 is over I will move over to another Final Fantasy that I tried to play and never finished, Final Fantasy VIII. Going with Steam again on this one, and I don't need cheat engine for this game, what are some good mods for it? I seen mentions of the Tonberry one that has a bunch of quality life ones merge together for a small fee for their server, but is that the best one to get?

Also over on the Switch World of Final Fantasy is on sale for 20 bucks. The funko pop heads turn me off when it came out, but I heard it was really good.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rirse posted:

Almost done with FF3 DS (pass the part I gave up last time and about to fight Unne and Doge), which feel no shame on turning on no encounter and speed up on cheat engine to skip back to the entrance before a boss since they didn't put a save point in the dungeon. I really wish cheat engine would just enable saving anywhere, but meh.

Anyway think after 3 is over I will move over to another Final Fantasy that I tried to play and never finished, Final Fantasy VIII. Going with Steam again on this one, and I don't need cheat engine for this game, what are some good mods for it? I seen mentions of the Tonberry one that has a bunch of quality life ones merge together for a small fee for their server, but is that the best one to get?

Also over on the Switch World of Final Fantasy is on sale for 20 bucks. The funko pop heads turn me off when it came out, but I heard it was really good.

if you like the rest of the series at all it's a great game with a lot of great fanservice, and the mirage descriptions can't be beat

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Does the Switch version fix the problem where the ATB is still way too slow even if you set it to max speed and hold down the fast forward button constantly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Does the Switch version fix the problem where the ATB is still way too slow even if you set it to max speed and hold down the fast forward button constantly?

It is still unbearably slow, yes.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I never had that problem, but they put out a Maxima update that changed at least some things. might have just been new mirages and stuff though

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hooray I beat Final Fantasy III DS. Amazed the auto save actually kicked in during the final section of the game because my controller died and my character got stuck running into a wall. Thankfully the auto save was after I killed Enkidu off. Cloud of Darkness sucks in the remake since she gets five loving attacks it seems. Lightning and Particle Accelerator is a cruel combo for the ninja in my party. Once her snakes died she wasn't too bad...better then that loving multi-head dog lady in Eureka.

Now that is done, I don't want to repeat the mistake I did with FF8 back in the day. What the best way to play it. I didn't understand the junction system at the time so I had a bad time with the game at the time. And then I ruined my game around the Salt Lake area by turning on a gameshark code to make everyone level 99...amazed I got to Ultimecia with that poo poo!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bongo Bill posted:

No. Against Barudak's advice I impulse bought the port the other night and it is slow as balls

Endearing, so I'll play it some anyway, but my god the whole thing needs like a 1.75x tick rate or something. Framerate's fine, just transitions and battles and even menus take for ever

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've got some ideas for throwing together a fairly minor rebalance patch for FF5 Advance, specifically to make some of the less interesting or largely bad jobs (like Dragoon and Dancer, respectively) more fun to use, with some small improvements and some functionality changes for flavor. I'm not thinking any huge deviations from vanilla either, basically the same game but with less monotony with certain parties. I'm thinking about this with fiestas in mind specifically.

Is anyone here aware of any comprehensive tools for editing FF5A? I've so far found two utilities, one called FFVAEditor which seems to really only cover job stats and such and another called FFVEditor which initially seemed to just be a monster editor, but it seems to have more to it than that. Are there any other editors out there? I've been looking through google for a while now and I haven't really come up with anything beyond these two.

Additionally I'd like to be able to edit what monsters provide Necromancer spells when killed, but neither editor I've used allows for that; it does appear to be possible somehow though since the only really comprehensive balance mod for FF5A that I'm aware of (Custom Classes) does appear to pull this off. I realize of course that I just said that the whole idea of this is based on playing through fiestas, but I'd at least like the option to be available if someone were to want to cheat a Necromancer into a party far earlier into the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No. Against Barudak's advice I impulse bought the port the other night and it is slow as balls

Endearing, so I'll play it some anyway, but my god the whole thing needs like a 1.75x tick rate or something. Framerate's fine, just transitions and battles and even menus take for ever

Leveling your creatures gets worse as you go; it takes the worst of the sphere grid and mixes in hidden to you progress gates along with an extremely unintuitive system of swapping between forms that results in things like two different versions of the same monster having different leveling progression.

And the whole thing takes ages to interact with, of course.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Rirse posted:

Hooray I beat Final Fantasy III DS. Amazed the auto save actually kicked in during the final section of the game because my controller died and my character got stuck running into a wall. Thankfully the auto save was after I killed Enkidu off. Cloud of Darkness sucks in the remake since she gets five loving attacks it seems. Lightning and Particle Accelerator is a cruel combo for the ninja in my party. Once her snakes died she wasn't too bad...better then that loving multi-head dog lady in Eureka.

Now that is done, I don't want to repeat the mistake I did with FF8 back in the day. What the best way to play it. I didn't understand the junction system at the time so I had a bad time with the game at the time. And then I ruined my game around the Salt Lake area by turning on a gameshark code to make everyone level 99...amazed I got to Ultimecia with that poo poo!

if you understand the junction system now then just play how you like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Babymore FFVIII; play the game normally until you get Diablo and have item synthesis and card synthesis abilities on Quetzacoatl. Turn off all encounters. Buy some tents and turn em into 99 curagas for everyones HP and then figure out whatever youre gonna slap to strength however you want to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
http://shmuplations.com/ff6/

Someone in one of the discord's I'm in linked an interview about things that didn't make it into the Game. The capstone of this was

quote:

During the development, for the Tzen event in the World of Ruin, originally if the time ran out, Sabin would actually die! Then if you came back to Tzen with Edgar in your party, it would trigger a scene with Edgar wandering forlornly around Tzen in the middle of the night, searching through the rubble in vain for his brother… “I’m coming to save you!” But we decided that the World of Ruin already had more than enough dark stories, and changed it for the final version of the game. For Sabin fans, it’s a good thing we did!

Now, Sabin dying because you ran out of time? That's sad. Edgar wandering Tzen in the middle of the night, clawing at the rubbing while trying to 'save' his brother who's already a corpse? That's :stare: I'd have loving rebooted the game and deleted my Save if I saw that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have been depressed if Terra died with all the Espers at the ending. That was before I really appreciated playing as her.
I couldn't care about Shadow.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 4, 2019

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

"Sasaki (Hirokatsu): Yeah, we kept making them flashier and flashier—maybe even too much…."

final fantasy.txt

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I want to give FFT:WotL a go, is PSP emulation a better experience than the native Android? Are there any fan patches I should apply if so?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have played both the psp version and the android one.

The android one fixes the slowdown bug. You have to download a fan patch to fix it on PSP.

The android one gives you free OP gear once you beat the game. On psp you can only get these by cheating or doing ad hoc multiplayer (lol)

Imo android is better if you want it to work out of the box

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't mind having to do some setup to make it work, like patching and emulating. PSP would give me fast-foward and savestates vs Android giving me decent touch controls and higher res graphics, correct?

Although maybe I should go PSP anyway so I can switch between phone and PC at will via cloud sync. Hmmmm.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the touch controlls for FFT are a pain. The game was not made for them, and they've not done anything to adapt the menues for them either.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

I don't mind having to do some setup to make it work, like patching and emulating. PSP would give me fast-foward and savestates vs Android giving me decent touch controls and higher res graphics, correct?

Although maybe I should go PSP anyway so I can switch between phone and PC at will via cloud sync. Hmmmm.

Yes. My last playthrough was on PSP emulator and until the game is released on a modern console that uses a controller I will never play it any other way. Savestates save so much time and frustration.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Finally beat FFXV after having it since day one. Pretty sure I quit because of the one hunt at a time thing. I really enjoyed the game and the story. It could really use even more QOL changes like showing you all active quest area on the map, but that's not happening.

Ending thoughts: really didn't expect this game to make me tear up a bit when Noctis asks for a photo from Prompto Also that was definitely the worst bachelor party E V E R(you can guess which FFT translation I like).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Speaking of FFT, I have a gameplay question.

Do KO'd units get spillover JP? I would like to know because if the answer to that question is "no" I will probably redo the last battle I did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bonus JP from ally classes is gotten when you gain JP normally. they have to act to get JP from ally jobs

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Then the question becomes does it carry over from battle to battle? If someone spends an entire fight KO'd do they get that entire battle's worth of spillover the first time they do anything in the next?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
No, they get it during that fight. I think it's something like 10% of JP earned, so if your Black Mage casts Fire and gains 10 JP for it, all of your other characters each gain 1 JP for Black Mage. They don't gain any JP for their regular job, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I heard 25% but it sounds like I'm doing that battle over. Ramza needs all the JP he can get and he just spent an entire battle lying half-dead in the grass, which is good for absolutely no one.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You can, but the amount of spillover JP you get in a battle tends to not be huge, so whether you want to use another 20 minutes redoing a semi-hard battle for that is up to you. You'd probably have better results just doing a quick random battle instead.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I might need to just do it over anyway. I don't think I have the wiggle room to do random battles yet since I'm only two battles into the game and Ramza is kind of required to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AweStriker posted:

I might need to just do it over anyway. I don't think I have the wiggle room to do random battles yet since I'm only two battles into the game and Ramza is kind of required to be good.

You really don't need to be worrying about getting extra JP on Ramza that early