Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

nick harkaway, the gone-away world

Somehow in my mind the title got confused with the half-made world (which is steampunk) and that's why I could never remember it.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
you're welcome. bitch

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I have a friend who is trying to track down a book they had as a kid and am wondering if you kind folks can help? This is the description she gave:

I used to have this book that I absolutely adored, but no one in my family remebers it. I lost it after our house burnt down, and would really love to be able to find another copy. I don't know the age of the book, I had it in the early 2000's, but knowing my family it could have been likely older. One of the other books I read constantly around this time was from 1995 (The Dragon and the Unicorn), so I'd assume it was around that time frame?

It was physical a really large sized hardback book, and was also pretty thick. It was beautifully illustrated on every page and had a few sets of stories within it, and also contained huge multiple page diagrams talking about the world the creatures of the book lived in. Those were my favorites! The diagrams/art are ridiculously similar to those of Gnomes by Wil Huygen (http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-concept/gnome-home/) and the book even does have gnomes in it. However there are other fantastical creatures as well, especially in the first story of the book.

The first story is about these desert creatures which host a huge crazy cart race. Monsters throw food out at them during it (particularly these melons that were important to the culture for some reason) and then have a big feast. The second I don't remember all that well, it was a lot of small meadow animals talking about something. Then there was a flood featuring those animals and the gnomes, and the last bit finally focused on the gnomes homes. The last pages of the book had various activities like puzzles and mazes, which I remember vividly just because I refused to fill them in due to how much I enjoyed the book and wanted to keep it in good condition.

If anyone could help that'd be greatly appreciated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hrm. Could it have been one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-games...VV877NG8NWE9G0W

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0722656742/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i7

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Gnom...&s=books&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Gnomes-Wil-Huygen/dp/0810916142/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=secrets+of+the+gnomes&qid=1551960723&s=books&sr=1-1

I just searched Amazon for other works by the illustrator of Gnomes.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 7, 2019

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

She says she's looked at stuff from the illustrator and it's not one of those ones, she says the pictures were very similar to those ones though. She said that gnomes featured in this book but it wasn't about them as she recalls. Thanks for having a look!

EDIT: She has managed to find it after doing some more digging. The series is called The Woodland Folk and is by Antonio Lupatelli!

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 7, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cluncho McChunk posted:

She says she's looked at stuff from the illustrator and it's not one of those ones, she says the pictures were very similar to those ones though. She said that gnomes featured in this book but it wasn't about them as she recalls. Thanks for having a look!

Ok, might have been this one then:

https://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-games...VV877NG8NWE9G0W

knock off book by a different illustrator. Includes pictures and mazes.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I'm trying to recall a young adult book in the vein of Judy Blume (not one of hers I believe, I checked a lot of them on her Wikipedia page). All I remember from it is that the female teenage main character has such a bad parent/teacher meeting (I think she and the teacher were having strong disagreements) that she basically suffers a complete physical breakdown, like the negative assessment by her teacher has made her violently ill. I thought then, and now, that it was a strange reaction. Her symptoms were a lot like one time that I got sick (she specifically mentions just being 'unable to get out of bed', which happened to me one time when I was young, my body just suddenly became very weak. No idea what I had then), but I actually had a physical disease while hers is a psychological reaction.

I also recall that once she's recovered someone takes her to get her ears pierced.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm trying to recall a young adult book in the vein of Judy Blume (not one of hers I believe, I checked a lot of them on her Wikipedia page). All I remember from it is that the female teenage main character has such a bad parent/teacher meeting (I think she and the teacher were having strong disagreements) that she basically suffers a complete physical breakdown, like the negative assessment by her teacher has made her violently ill. I thought then, and now, that it was a strange reaction. Her symptoms were a lot like one time that I got sick (she specifically mentions just being 'unable to get out of bed', which happened to me one time when I was young, my body just suddenly became very weak. No idea what I had then), but I actually had a physical disease while hers is a psychological reaction.

I also recall that once she's recovered someone takes her to get her ears pierced.

Harriet the Spy?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

wizzardstaff posted:

Harriet the Spy?

No, Harriet is younger than the main character in that book, who's mid teens, and Harriet's too self confident to suffer such a reaction. Also I went and double checked, so no.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Cluncho McChunk posted:

EDIT: She has managed to find it after doing some more digging. The series is called The Woodland Folk and is by Antonio Lupatelli!

i know the book, didn't realise that he was the illustrator of pingu too

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Could it be Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You by Barthe DeClements? The main character had a lot of trouble in school because she was dyslexic and didn't realize, and acted out to compensate. There was definitely a part where her uncle takes her out to get her ears pierced and the woman at the piercer's is kind of New-Agey and starts telling the mc about the meanings of all the different stones. Do you remember a part where the mc spraypainted "School makes me puke" on a school wall, only with a bunch of misspellings (because dyslexia) and a police officer comes to her classroom and makes everyone write the message out, and she panics because she realizes her misspellings could give her away?

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone identify this book for me? Found it sitting in my cupboard.

Aginor fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 10, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is for an author rather than a book and my recollection is very limited and probably unreliable due to reasons:

Irish, I think.
Wrote a lot about bicycles and uhh time?
Thought it would be something Pataphysics-related but I guess not? (Could still be.)
Some sort of cult following.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is for an author rather than a book and my recollection is very limited and probably unreliable due to reasons:

Irish, I think.
Wrote a lot about bicycles and uhh time?
Thought it would be something Pataphysics-related but I guess not? (Could still be.)
Some sort of cult following.

Flann O'Brien (aka Myles na Gopaleen) is your man.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 12, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selachian posted:

Flann O'Brien (aka Myles naGopaleen) is your man.

That's exactly it, thanks!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That Tom Swift site also has the Three Investigators books, so I'm just going to stay home for the next week and read and eat kids snacks from the 80s.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Aginor posted:

Can anyone identify this book for me? Found it sitting in my cupboard.

It is one of those diagnostic tools for determining colorblindness.

https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21730810175386

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Two stories popped into my mind yesterday and I'm struggling to find any information. I'm pretty sure the first one is by an established scifi author; the second may be from a story-telling forum or site.

1) A female reporter is invited by a billionaire Steve Jobs type to ride in a space ship or time machine or something on its maiden voyage. The ship is buried in a cave or in the ground, but is able to "travel" by some sort of shift of space time. I think there's something about a necklace or pendant the billionaire has hung near his seat to keep him focused or to demonstrate how the ship is moving.

2) A horror story based on the famous image of the "shell shocked soldier" from WWI (with the creepy smile). The soldier is suddenly part of a group stationed in the trenches, where he is sort of shunned for being generally weird. At night, the Germans start screaming as if they're all being torn apart. At some point, the British or American soldiers go to investigate and find a hole or cave in the German trenches with some sort of ooze in it. The weird soldier falls in or gets sucked in. They get him out (I think this may be when the photo is supposedly taken) but he gets progressively creepier. I can't remember what all happens after that. It's written from the POV of a different soldier, like in his diary.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

ZoeDomingo posted:

1) A female reporter is invited by a billionaire Steve Jobs type to ride in a space ship or time machine or something on its maiden voyage. The ship is buried in a cave or in the ground, but is able to "travel" by some sort of shift of space time. I think there's something about a necklace or pendant the billionaire has hung near his seat to keep him focused or to demonstrate how the ship is moving.

This one is bugging me because I know I've read this pretty recently but I can't for the life of me remember where. It'll probably come to me in the middle of the night and wake me up out of a dead sleep.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

ZoeDomingo posted:

2) A horror story based on the famous image of the "shell shocked soldier" from WWI (with the creepy smile). The soldier is suddenly part of a group stationed in the trenches, where he is sort of shunned for being generally weird. At night, the Germans start screaming as if they're all being torn apart. At some point, the British or American soldiers go to investigate and find a hole or cave in the German trenches with some sort of ooze in it. The weird soldier falls in or gets sucked in. They get him out (I think this may be when the photo is supposedly taken) but he gets progressively creepier. I can't remember what all happens after that. It's written from the POV of a different soldier, like in his diary.
i think that's an scp

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

avshalemon posted:

i think that's an scp

Good call:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/the-young-man

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kangxi posted:

It is one of those diagnostic tools for determining colorblindness.

https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21730810175386

Thanks for identifying it for me. Pretty cool thing to find lying around my house.

That site say it sold for $1500?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

avshalemon posted:

i think that's an scp

Thank you both!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Aginor posted:

Thanks for identifying it for me. Pretty cool thing to find lying around my house.

That site say it sold for $1500?

1500 Taiwan dollars. So about 50 USD.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
australian children's novels, about a steamship (paddle steamer) on the murray-darling rivers.

bit of a fantasy theme including sailing underground in the great artesian basin and being shipwrecked in the mouth of the murray.

lots of hijinks, bets on water speed, escaping from villians etc.

I would have read them in the late 80s early 90s.

*NVM* TROVE came through
https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/35149709?q=Paddle+Steamer&l-format=Book&l-decade=197&c=book&versionId=43654701
https://www.amazon.com/Cliff-Green/e/B001KCBTJS/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

ZoeDomingo posted:

In the Abyss of Time by Stephen Baxter. I asked this thread for the same story a few years ago and someone remembered it for me :)

https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/Sci...20Of%20Time.txt

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Lot 49 posted:

In the Abyss of Time by Stephen Baxter. I asked this thread for the same story a few years ago and someone remembered it for me :)

https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/Sci...20Of%20Time.txt

Yes, that's it! Thank you. I can't even remember how I came across it now, but thank you for helping me find it.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Apologies for the vagueness, but I don't really remember enough to go off of; the cover of the book is a cup of tea (or maybe it was a cup of coffee) on a table, and the book was about a man who meets a young girl claiming to be his long lost daughter. He's also going out with a woman named Izzy.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm searching for the title of a book, probably american in origin, where the same story is told, IIRC, four times through the various characters involved.

The characters are a husband and wife, their daughter and a sort of seer/witch the wife has been consulting, and I think it takes place in the victorian era. The husband is a scientist who does experiments on animals. His wife has poor health and, in particular, probably wouldn't survive giving birth again, and as a result refuses sexual intercourse with her husband despite his insistence. She comes to believe her husband may be possessed and calls upon the seer to perform an exorcism. Said seer is really a proto-feminist who has been using the seer thing as a way to approach and counsel or help women who have marital problems. She believes the wife is being abused by her husband. The husband is eventually murdered and the story ends with the daughter's account.

The french version had the daughter's name as the title, but I'm not sure whether it's the case for the original version.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm trying to track down a story I read as a kid in some horror anthology- I thought it was one of the Whispers anthologies but it doesn't seem to be panning out. I think the story was call CHIPS, and it had something to do with a haunted computer. I doubt it was particularly good, but I would be curious to read it again if it rings a bell for anyone!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm trying to track down a story I read as a kid in some horror anthology- I thought it was one of the Whispers anthologies but it doesn't seem to be panning out. I think the story was call CHIPS, and it had something to do with a haunted computer. I doubt it was particularly good, but I would be curious to read it again if it rings a bell for anyone!

Probably this:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1023966

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
drat, thanks!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Quoting this from a while back to see if anyone can help.

Davros1 posted:

I've got one from when I was a child (somewhere between 80-85)

It was one of the "Weird, but True Supernatural" style books from Scholastic. I remember such stories in it (and they were only about a page/page and half long) about the body of a small alien creature that had washed up on a shore, a woman who had a dream that her recently deceased husband (or son) wa still alive and when they dug up his body he was still alive, and a man who when he was hanged, his body disappeared. There were probably about 20 stories in it, and it was a thin paperback with several illustrations on the cover, surrounded by a orange-ish border.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Davros1 posted:

I don't know about the specific book, but "weird but true" combined with "orange border" sounds like a National Geographic publication, if that helps narrow your search.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I don't know about the specific book, but "weird but true" combined with "orange border" sounds like a National Geographic publication, if that helps narrow your search.

Don't think it's Nat Geo; can't find them publishing anything "Supernatural", plus, is was the size of a paperback book.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Don't think it's Nat Geo; can't find them publishing anything "Supernatural", plus, is was the size of a paperback book.

Possibly one of these?
https://www.ripleys.com/books/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Thanks, but I've looked at those. This was from the early to mid-80s, and I can't seem to find any of those that match.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Years ago (maybe 5 years ago?) I was directed from SA to a short story. I'm now looking for that story.

I firmly remember these things about the story - it was written from the perspective of aliens who had just encountered humans, and they were horrified by us. Inverting traditional SF tropes, the aliens were scared by our ability to (eg) survive losing a limb. They described exhaustion hunting an animal (I think a deer?) as an extremely scary thing.

I have a vague recollection that it's one of the English (Scottish?) SF authors of the past decade or two - perhaps Alastair Reynolds or Ken Macleod. It was published in a magazine, but is available online for free. It's maybe 10 minutes of reading.

Any help is appreciated.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Trying to remember a couple childrens educational books from the 80s or 90s.

They were shaped like those Garfield collections, kinda short but wide. The color scheme on the ones I'm trying to remember was pink and white and then purple and white. Kinda like nerds candy. The characters in the books make me think of the California raisins or other little blobby guys. I think they were wlfor teaching math and other things. It's not the Mr. Man series. Help please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Davros1 posted:

Did it talk about the green children?