Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you dont find cyborg orcs and aboriginal shamans fighting dragon-based cybercapitalism goofy and absurd then what even the gently caress man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The Shadowrun setting is indescribably tedious. The basic concept of cyberpunk+magic is pretty cool and the video games are fun, but the backstory just isn't interesting. It's like if Warhammer 40,000 took itself seriously. It's got all the grim darkness but none of the absurdity.

The backstory is "the world was this one and totally normal and then suddenly magic" so of course it's kind of boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Danaru posted:

If you dont find cyborg orcs and aboriginal shamans fighting dragon-based cybercapitalism goofy and absurd then what even the gently caress man

That's exactly the problem. I do find it goofy and absurd but the people writing it don't seem to. They seem to want it taken seriously.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tiggum posted:

That's exactly the problem. I do find it goofy and absurd but the people writing it don't seem to. They seem to want it taken seriously.

Oh I get where you're coming from now. Almost all of my experience of Shadowrun is with the video games, and a lot of them could definitely benefit from leaning into how weird and goofy the universe is. The genesis one in particular was weird going from a tragic scene recounting the death of your brother to being Pepsiman making GBS threads out lightning at orbs to steal data

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

To be fair it's based primarily on cyberpunk which is dystopian as hell. They basically just stapled magic and elves onto cyberpunk and kept the everything is terrible vibe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Gracchi brothers did nothing wrong

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is that an unpopular opinion?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sandopolis Zone is the best level in any Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

I’ll do you one further: the fall of the roman republic was a good thing.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The backstory is "the world was this one and totally normal and then suddenly magic" so of course it's kind of boring.

Uh excuse me but dragon president of the USA is conspicuously absent from this rundown

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

self-driving cars are racist

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

self-driving cars are racist

In the sense that only rich white people are the only ones who can afford them or in the sense that the cars are, in fact, sentient in some capacity to actively treat people of color poorly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he's baiting you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

In the sense that only rich white people are the only ones who can afford them or in the sense that the cars are, in fact, sentient in some capacity to actively treat people of color poorly.

In the sense that they're more likely to kill black people than white people. So the latter, I suppose

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogUSA/status/1103737529952583684

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spit on my clit posted:

he's baiting you

oh gently caress!@

Gripweed posted:

In the sense that they're more likely to kill black people than white people. So the latter, I suppose

Oh gently caress again!

I'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading about one of the first Tesla auto-drive crashes was due to a large semis white trailer not being detected or messing with the cameras in some way. Besides the guy being asleep...

SO I figured them whiteys would be hard to see in the day time. For being so white.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

so in other words the people developing these cars thought that if it could detect white people, it could detect black people, and didn't think to make sure that it could detect black people. well, the people making these cars better get their asses on fixing these issues.

calling it racist is loving stupid though

now for a real unpopular opinion: Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Mar 8, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

so in other words the people developing these cars thought that if it could detect white people, it could detect black people, and didn't think to make sure that it could detect black people. well, the people making these cars better get their asses on fixing these issues.

Yeah he sure did manage to bait that other person, didn't he?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Yeah he sure did manage to bait that other person, didn't he?

nah, i'm the one that got baited.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Although algorithms/machines/AI will still be racist because they're going to be learning from what we teach them and the data we give them, inadvertently feeding our own biases into them whether we know it or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good example of my still-unpopular and forever true opinion that literally everyone who grows up white in North America (and probably Europe and Australia) has internalized racism. That’s not a personal condemnation either. Recognize it, confront it, and try to do better.

Also, no one has ever successfully pulled off Ed Elric cosplay. It’s just one of those outfits that can only possibly look good in anime.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Good example of my still-unpopular and forever true opinion that literally everyone who grows up in North America (and probably Europe and Australia) has internalized racism. That’s not a personal condemnation either. Recognize it, confront it, and try to do better.

You know, that's pretty reasonable.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, no one has ever successfully pulled off Ed Elric cosplay. It’s just one of those outfits that can only possibly look good in anime.

I always thought he looked dumb as hell with that outfit

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Good example of my still-unpopular and forever true opinion that literally everyone who grows up white in North America (and probably Europe and Australia) has internalized racism. That’s not a personal condemnation either. Recognize it, confront it, and try to do better.

Absolutely include Asia there too.

I guess my PHUO is that every single nation has at least one other country they're a bit weird about, and racism is by no means limited to any one race/nationality.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

spit on my clit posted:

The cars take longer to recognize a black person as human than they take to recognize a white person as human. The cars are racist. The people who created the software that runs these cars made them racist. Probably unintentionally, but the cars are still racist.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Whitlam posted:

Absolutely include Asia there too.

I guess my PHUO is that every single nation has at least one other country they're a bit weird about, and racism is by no means limited to any one race/nationality.

Yeah that’s what I mean by specifying white. I know, for example, that I’ve seen indian and chinese people dunking on each other but I can’t comment on that other than second-hand.

I have seen the white on PoC dynamic, and a bunch of tech bros who “hate bigotry” only ever interacting with or testing their products on white people, but also being shocked and appalled if you call their robocars racist, is absolutely what I expect from honkies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

The cars take longer to recognize a black person as human than they take to recognize a white person as human. The cars are racist. The people who created the software that runs these cars made them racist. Probably unintentionally, but the cars are still racist.

It's fine because they'll never be much more than some pipedream project for AI nerds. Maybe it will work in a city for a while on a decently large scale, until it kills just one person and they'll be shelved forever and people will wonder whose dumb idea that was.

The real way forward is something in the middle, with more "driver assist" features (ones that actually work). Even if we could eliminate the human driver entirely, we shouldn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's fine because they'll never be much more than some pipedream project for AI nerds. Maybe it will work in a city for a while on a decently large scale, until it kills just one person and they'll be shelved forever and people will wonder whose dumb idea that was.

The real way forward is something in the middle, with more "driver assist" features (ones that actually work). Even if we could eliminate the human driver entirely, we shouldn't.

Self driving cars already killed someone, and a judge just decided that the company that made the car isn't responsible for it.

Self-driving cars are a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, and they won't work. But they're still coming. They're gonna kill more people, and it looks like they're gonna disproportionately kill black people. But who's gonna stop them?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Self driving cars already killed someone, and a judge just decided that the company that made the car isn't responsible for it.

Self-driving cars are a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, and they won't work. But they're still coming. They're gonna kill more people, and it looks like they're gonna disproportionately kill black people. But who's gonna stop them?

a less dumb judge

it will be a lot easier to prove culpability when there's a repeating pattern than the first time something has happened and they're too scared of setting precedent.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the chips inserted into your necks that let all smart cars see you. as well as every other smart appliance, smart gun, smart toilet, and smart foodstuff collectively known as "the beast"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My cats both have the mark of the beast and they seem the same as before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My cats both have the mark of the beast and they seem the same as before.

The purpose of the Mark of the Beast is to make us generally docile and lazy and occasionally inexplicably violent so this checks out.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah that’s what I mean by specifying white. I know, for example, that I’ve seen indian and chinese people dunking on each other but I can’t comment on that other than second-hand.

I have seen the white on PoC dynamic, and a bunch of tech bros who “hate bigotry” only ever interacting with or testing their products on white people, but also being shocked and appalled if you call their robocars racist, is absolutely what I expect from honkies.

My uber driver last week went on a rant about how much he hates Indians inspired by a miscelanneously brown person crossing the road in front of him, legally, at the traffic lights. Driver was Pakistani.

That isn't in anyway to minimise or disagree with white people being racist, it just seemed relevant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I always thought it was dumb how indian phone scammers will almost always say they are pakistani when confronted about being a scammer. You're scamming old people out of google play cards, one of the scummiest things a person can do, and your main concern is tricking the people who are on to your scam into thinking that it's only the pakistanis capable of sinking that low?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who think that self-driving cars will never be good enough to replace human drivers: Have you never noticed how bad most humans are at driving? Self-driving cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than people - and that's not a high bar to clear.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

People who think that self-driving cars will never be good enough to replace human drivers: Have you never noticed how bad most humans are at driving? Self-driving cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than people - and that's not a high bar to clear.

I don’t think this is true. Self driving cars are going to be held to a much higher standard than human drivers, and they’re going to have to perform a lot better than humans before we’re socially ready to hand over that control.

Any failure by a machine driver is going to be scrutinized tenfold over what a human error would.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

that's only because our traffic laws are not adequately enforced. On the way to work there's a turn that a lot of people make and the turn lane is pretty short, so people will start lining up in the center turn lane about half a mile before it. A few days a week the cops will camp out halfway through and give tickets to everyone doing that instead of waiting for the turn lane to actually start, but the days they aren't there, people just go back to doing it.

If they had a cop permanently stationed there, not only would they be basically printing money for their department, but eventually people might learn they can't cheat anymore without going bankrupt. And if they don't learn after the first couple times, take their license

Also licenses should be much harder to get.

We don't need robots, we just need to defeat the attitude that traffic laws are more like guidelines and most of the time when you don't see a cop you can do whatever you please.

or maybe put devices in cars that automatically detect crimes like speeding and print out fines in real time, like the verbal morality statute things in demolition man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

Have you ever noticed how good humans are at driving, on average? Seriously, take a step back and think about it. sitting inside literally a ton of metal and zooming around at 60 miles an hour, in the most crowded, chaotic cities in the world, in all weather conditions, with stuff in the road and the sun glinting off poo poo. and literally a billion people do it multiple times per day. It's loving amazing that it works as well as it does. Yeah, a lot of people die, but that's because the entire concept of widespread private car ownership is crazy and dangerous and stupid. "Better than humans at driving" is a very, very high bar to clear, one that computers are decades from clearing, at best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That sounds like you haven’t driven much.

Much like anything else humans do, there’s a lot of human effort that goes into driving well, and it isn’t just following laws and matching traffic and knowing (magically) which way is east.

Drivers as a whole are constantly doing dumb poo poo, but typically we see a few screwups on a given day out of hundreds or thousands of drivers.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

that's only because our traffic laws are not adequately enforced. On the way to work there's a turn that a lot of people make and the turn lane is pretty short, so people will start lining up in the center turn lane about half a mile before it. A few days a week the cops will camp out halfway through and give tickets to everyone doing that instead of waiting for the turn lane to actually start, but the days they aren't there, people just go back to doing it.

If they had a cop permanently stationed there, not only would they be basically printing money for their department, but eventually people might learn they can't cheat anymore without going bankrupt. And if they don't learn after the first couple times, take their license

Also licenses should be much harder to get.

We don't need robots, we just need to defeat the attitude that traffic laws are more like guidelines and most of the time when you don't see a cop you can do whatever you please.

or maybe put devices in cars that automatically detect crimes like speeding and print out fines in real time, like the verbal morality statute things in demolition man.

Wait, do you mean the cars pile up and spill into the centre turn lane, or that people pile it up while the far turn lane is still open? The former is the fault of city planners, the latter deserves every ticket.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Mar 9, 2019

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Gripweed posted:

So what you're saying is that cars don't see color? Heh sounds like racism was averted again, meatbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Any autonomous driving system that relies solely on image recognition will have this problem, and is comically irresponsible. Gotta have depth analysis of some kind (LIDAR, etc.).

The article, once you get past the clickbait headline, even states that the research wasn’t done with any actual autonomous driving platform, just with image recognition. And we’ve known such systems are racist for a long while - there are frequently articles about facial recognition systems failing, especially for black people. That’s why Apple’s FaceID system uses depth analysis as well.

That being said, I get the impression that a lot of the engineers and companies involved in autonomous driving are running with a “move fast and break things” philosophy that shouldn’t be applied to anything that can drive a hundred miles an hour and weighs a ton.