Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

what does mandarin mean in that context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Civil servant.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1103637691294470145

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Phillip Rycroft, soon to be former Permanent Secretary, and his, uh, deformed clone's internal organs?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aidan_702 posted:

They're both full on centrist but Mitchell slathers himself in enough relatable lad bantz comedy to occlude his dangerous, middle road extremism

Has he actually come out with any right-wing views? I mostly remember him being the one who made political jokes at the Tories expense during their sketch days, and wasn't he on that left-leaning comedy news show on C4 that I didn't watch because it also included Jimmy Carr and I'm not a masochist?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Question IRL posted:

begging without a licence,

How do i check a homeless man's begging licence? Is it a certificate, a photocard or a badge?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
In more outrage news:

https://www.channel4.com/news/court-over-rules-government-on-asylum-seeker-torture-claims

asylum seeker: "i was tortured in sri lanka, look at these scars"

home office: "actually we reckon you had someone do that to you on purpose to get into britain"

supreme court: "hahaha get hosed" 

channel 4 news: "so what do you make of your court-loving"

home office: "It would be inappropriate to comment."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Edison was a dick posted:

Or at least smart enough to not gob off about being terrible.
He gobs off a lot though, and has never seemed that terrible while doing so. Had a semi-regular grauniad column and a youtube channel (David Mitchell's soapbox). Anyone who can maintain both of those and not accidentally out their terrible opinions either has none or is astoundingly careful.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Does being in prison mean you're not in the homeless statistics?
Yes, in the same way that being registered self employed and on income support (because you are making zero income) means you're not on the unemployment statistics.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Mitchell is inoffensive with his centrism at least, I don't think he'll ever come out with anything too mean, and isn't the type to punch down, which Webb frequently has. I used to follow Webb on twitter until realising what a lot of hate he has. When I unfollowed I checked the number of followers and a few days later he had gained another few thousand. That's the problem, it doesn't matter how much we can dunk on these people, point out their dishonesty or self-owns - being terrible gets them more fans so it only encourages them to play up their worst sides.

I did have another look at Webb's twitter a few weeks ago and it was actually very positive, nothing bad on there... wasn't going to follow again though. Not surprised if he is still being terrible, it is a shame though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How do i check a homeless man's begging licence? Is it a certificate, a photocard or a badge?

So if you are on the streets begging (IE for a Charity selling scratch cards, raising funds or just sitting on the streets with your cap out.) You are supposed to have a licence for it. It's a legal requirement that the cards can ask you to produce one if they see you.

From what I know to apply and get these licences, they are designed with the intention of raising funds for charitable goals so the process of getting one would probably be done in such a way as to prevent the avera gfe homeless person being able to squire said licence.

One time in a park while having lunch with my wife, a guy came up to us selling scratch cards or raffle tickets for a charity. He had something laminated that could have been a licence. But I don't know what exactly they look like so I didn't take the time to examine it to see if it was genuine. (Nor would I have been sure what to look for.)

Really these licences are to regulate charities and to try and prevent scammers going around duping people out of money for charitable causes that don't exist.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

communism bitch posted:

At work we just got a second barrage of statutory advice on the export of art and cultural artefacts in the even of no deal, warning us to be prepared for that eventuality. Lol.

Its as if Brexit is the result of some idiot with a monkey paw saying ‘bring back the British Empire’, while forgetting to specify that they wanted Britons to be the ones doing the ruling, rather than being ruled.

I mean, look at the proposal for tariffs; anyone can place any tariffs they like on British exports, and in return we let them export to us freely. A bunch of men in red coats had to do a lot of shooting and marching to force those terms on India; some historians think they were primarily responsible for converting India from a rich country to a poor one.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

In more outrage news:

https://www.channel4.com/news/court-over-rules-government-on-asylum-seeker-torture-claims

home office: "actually we reckon you had someone do that to you on purpose to get into britain"

When my wife was working at the then IRC she’d encounter this attitude from the home office on a disturbingly frequent basis to the extent that it’s hard not to believe glib dismissal of torture claims isn’t standard procedure.

Just remembering this was a thing is making me angry

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In more outrage news:

supreme court: "hahaha get hosed" 

channel 4 news: "so what do you make of your court-loving"

home office: "It would be inappropriate to comment."

Ah yes, the “lee Harvey Oswald was innocent because JFK actually committed suicide in the car on that day” defence.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aidan_702 posted:

They're both full on centrist but Mitchell slathers himself in enough relatable lad bantz comedy to occlude his dangerous, middle road extremism

I can't imagine David Mitchell ever engaging in "lad bantz", relatable or otherwise.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Drone_Fragger posted:

Calling people out for Lobbying congressmen to act in a seperate, unrelated countries best interests is not antisemitism, it’s literally pro-democracy. You’re elected to represent your country not someone else’s.

Of course the real reason is that trump needs to shut this concept down or he might get called out for being a Russian agent.

It's not Trump, it's the Democrats doing their absolute best to smother the left wing insurgency represented by Omar, AOC and Tlaib in the crib

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's also why AOC is being a bit weird about it. She knows it's a trap and is in a terrible position. She might as well get it over with and double down. Like Labour should have done.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Then more people will be homeless just for a handout !!!! or something.

What are the best avenues for people to help with homelessness? I give money to people who need it when I can, but it feels like a drop in the bucket sometimes. Especially when you give a guy all the cash you have on you then walk past another 3-5 guys in sleeping bags just around the corner.

Nottingham got pretty bad, recently.

my dad used to work with shelter and homeless link

back under new labour when rough sleeping was in like single or double digits nationally one of the heads of the organisations would tell him "don't give money to homeless people, give it to the homeless orgs cause it goes further"

now when my dad sees him the guy just gives homeless people the cash because the orgs are all so gutted its better to just give the quids to the homeless

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1103657824641581061

Why do they keep being racist when they're trying to be explicitly anti racist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The correct term now is BAFT.

The Question IRL posted:

So, full disclosure. I'm an Irish Barrister who specializes in Criminal Law. (I call myself a Criminal Barrister knowing full well that makes me sound like Saul Goodman. )

Quite a lot of my clients are homeless or drug addicts (or both.)

Essentially there are crimes that are recognised as "homeless offences " (I.E. they are more likely to be committed by homeless people.)
Being drunk in a public place, using threatening/abusive/insulting language, begging without a licence, having a knife in public ....

I could go into a long effort post about how these type of offences at the micro level are completely economically inefficient to prosecute. But the truth is almost all crime (if you break it down to pure economic states) are inefficient to prosecute.

Very often the best results you get people to do community service work instead of prison time.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of restorative justice for all but the most serious crimes, and treating things like drug use and sex work as community welfare and public health concerns rather than anything for the police and courts.

But sometimes the economic inefficiency of prosecuting a crime is worth it socially, for things that are terrible (like torture and murder) or threaten the system of justice itself (like perjury and bribery) or need to be forced into people that you need to do this (like workplace health and safety or industrial pollution).

Prison abolition is a good long-term goal, but imprisoning the homeless is just such a glaring example of inefficiency and immorality, both socially and economically.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Tesseraction posted:

Has he actually come out with any right-wing views? I mostly remember him being the one who made political jokes at the Tories expense during their sketch days, and wasn't he on that left-leaning comedy news show on C4 that I didn't watch because it also included Jimmy Carr and I'm not a masochist?

He's anti no-platforming in universities. Around the time Brian Cox was also getting mad and nude about students.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesla was right posted:

He's anti no-platforming in universities. Around the time Brian Cox was also getting mad and nude about students.
I want to see the nude Cox.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1103657824641581061

Why do they keep being racist when they're trying to be explicitly anti racist.

Because they know they're supposed to perform not being racist, but they don't actually care enough to keep up with the currently-appropriate terminology.

Also Jeremy Vine is hot garbage to the point where I instinctively turn off anything I hear his voice on. Which is a shame because I used to like Eggheads.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesla was right posted:

Well that's dumb but we also don't quite have the *same* Nazi problem here. Although I wonder if he'd change his mind after listening to Carl of Swindon for more than five minutes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tesla was right posted:

i feel as though a certain level of dissent must be tolerated before we disavow people completely

this is really just vapid liberalism and oughtn't be on the line of 'hates trans people' or 'is actually a committed paedophile'

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think Robert Webb is also Glinner-adjacent on trans issues

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dead Goon posted:

I can't imagine David Mitchell ever engaging in "lad bantz", relatable or otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJC1bms0EVo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AmberRuddHR/status/1103665146600263681
https://twitter.com/NazShahBfd/status/1103664832098848768

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

good on u, amer rudd

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

i feel as though a certain level of dissent must be tolerated before we disavow people completely

this is really just vapid liberalism and oughtn't be on the line of 'hates trans people' or 'is actually a committed paedophile'
How committed do you have to be to be a committed paedophile?

Nonces that are also sexually attracted to adults are terrible too, but I wouldn't call them committed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guavanaut posted:

How committed do you have to be to be a committed paedophile?

Nonces that are also sexually attracted to adults are terrible too, but I wouldn't call them committed.

i was trying to exclude any people who are sexually attracted to children but who don't act on it, since those people just get a really raw deal in general

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I feel like "mortified" is a pro Twitter search word for people who have said or done something incredibly dumb or awful, then later gone back on it.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
"Online abuse is bad!" *Does a 1970s styled racism* - I mean not that I expect any better from someone like Rudd but do people ever engage before they speak?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/03/amber-rudd-refers-diane-abbott-coloured-bbc-interview

Edit: How late to the party am I?

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 7, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HJB posted:

I feel like "mortified" is a pro Twitter search word for people who have said or done something incredibly dumb or awful, then later gone back on it.

https://twitter.com/Daily_Star/status/1103209717646675969

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Join the tingers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

i was trying to exclude any people who are sexually attracted to children but who don't act on it, since those people just get a really raw deal in general
I think 'child molester' is the best one then. Because some people who would be mortified to think of themselves as a ped molest children. And they're bad.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
People who are really into free speech and debate suddenly get very aware of the violence of language when you start debating stuff they have a personal stake in.

Aye we can all debate whether trans people exist or how much racism is the right level of racism but discussions about the removal of landlords or a constant public debate about a wealth tax is something we should all be very careful discussing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't know much about Robert Webb's personality on Twitter but I immediately wrote him off after he finished up an article criticising Russell Brand with this;

quote:

I understand your ache for the luminous, for a connection beyond yourself. Russell, we all feel like that. Some find it in music or literature, some in the wonders of science and others in religion. But it isn’t available any more in revolution. We tried that again and again, and we know that it ends in death camps, gulags, repression and murder. In brief, and I say this with the greatest respect, please read some loving Orwell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The one thing in common that I can see between Brand and Webb is I'd bet money that both of their 'ache for the luminous' has resulted in bellend injuries involving lightbulbs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't know much about Robert Webb's personality on Twitter but I immediately wrote him off after he finished up an article criticising Russell Brand with this;

"Revolution is always bad, centrism is the only way" - George Orwell

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Read some loving Orwell. Not that one where he praises the anarchists. Not that one where he talks about how awful landlords are. That one, the one where the pig is bad and it's an analogy for Stalinism and therefore all leftism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've always suspected that Robert Webb saw David Mitchell getting respect from broadsheets and generally being liked for his views and tried his best to emulate him. But he's so centrism poisoned he didn't quite get it.