Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. How many dead bodies have you already got lying around? Like, a hundred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Eating human flesh has probably made them pretty insane but a smart cannibal tribe should just sit by the side and wait for some other group to fail an attack and then run in to kidnap those knocked out bodies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Glazius posted:

Dang. How many dead bodies have you already got lying around? Like, a hundred?

The gates tend to be quite corpsey, until Mr Bones gets time to toss them into the incinerator.

Vadoc posted:

Eating human flesh has probably made them pretty insane but a smart cannibal tribe should just sit by the side and wait for some other group to fail an attack and then run in to kidnap those knocked out bodies.

What happens sometimes is group a attacks and gets beaten, group b comes in and gets beaten, survivors from group a become conscious, see ko'd people from group b and they run off with them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Coolguye posted:

again, if you're playing this game and you're obsessive about training and stats like i am, you want to mod the hell out of the game to get a lot of training benches. certain things are incredibly manual to train.... it's not something that's HARD, per se, but it gets really annoying to do it the 15th time....alternately, you can download a mod that will get you to 60 in a skill after a week of hard training....for the user experience it's definitely going to be the difference between being frustrated and being engaged.
Yeah you're hitting the nail when it comes to my case with games like this. I mean there certainly are moments when training through the stat grind can be fun and I feel like Kenshi was designed with the goal to let you grow while you just explore the world. But certain stats need to be decent before you stop sucking and training them to that level is just a lot of down-time or repetitive and labourious actions for me. I already grabbed some training mods after starting but I'm just gonna go and use a mod that has benches for everything

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
One thing I really like about Kenshi is that, while the Skeletons say they for sure don't remember the past that well, judging by the dialouge Skeletons have when they go to old world locations and other little bits and bobs its heavily implied that no, Skeletons do remember everything and just have a massive pact to not talk about it with the organics.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Meeting the Neighbors

Days on the Northern Coast become routine. Dr Snark finally has a shirt, I'll be giving Trader's Leathers to the non combatants. They don't provide much protection to the arms, but its not like we have flesh eating monsters to worry about or anything.

Hiver's brave the cannibals to peddle their crappy wares to us.

Helping the Fishing Village and Cannibal Hunters take out cannibals attacks on the town... and attacks of our own. Ho hum.

I set up 2 grade 2 wind turbines to get our power started, even though we don't get enough wind up here to hit the maximum power we do tend to get half power, which gives out more power then the small turbines. And hilariously enough, its better for us currently because this area has jack for copper resources that the grade 1 turbines need, but grade 2 needs electrical components that we are currently drowning in. Despite hating technology the Holy Nation stores had a bunch of them on hand.

On top of that I put down a semi automated iron drill on our iron ore deposit. This requires researching several tiers of ore mining and requires power, but it lets us mine ore faster with only 2 people.

West of Jetsam is a village, we currently have a moment of peace so we should see who our neighbors are.

Once again I bring everyone, same set up as before. Main group fights, second group loots and picks up anyone who gets ko'd in the first group.

: Anyone home?

Stopping over at the nearby scout outpost, no one is on the outside nor on the inside.

Checking the map, the outpost was apparently wiped out. Most likely to cannibals. Now we have a reason to go on the offensive.

: Anybody else get the distinct feeling they're being watched?

: That's because you ARE being watched. This is the cannibal plains and we're the prey.

: Great, out of one cooking pot and into another. Literally...

We reach the village, filled with tents, some shacks and a lot of cages.

Currently the cannibals are fighting one single shrieking bandit. I guess she picked the best time to get captured.

We set up uphill in a choke point...

While the non combatants hang off to the side. Ideally the cannibals can't run past us... but it is kinda hard to gauge where people can walk up hills and where they can't. And then you add in the wonky path finding...

: Be not that far from me, for trouble is near; O my strength, haste Thee to help me.

And then I forgot to set everyone to hold so as soon as Shootaboy takes the shot everyone rushes downhill into the camp :downs: Here is Lettuce hitting a cannibal for 144 loving damage. And look at how huge he is compared to the scrawny cannibals, he can sit on them and pop them.

The cannibals came in waves, first was the scrawny ones and now we fight the well fed cannibals. We do a pretty clean sweep of the village, it probably helps that the cannibals don't wear any armor.

: Beep is the strongest! The strongest! BWAHAHAHA! BEEP! HAHAHA

: ... heh

Taking a close look around the village... :gonk: At leas they.. prepare their meals I guess :gonk:

We successfully killed off a village! Annoyingly it repopulates when the inevitable import is needed

I find the shrieking bandit and jeeze the cannibal cages are brutal. Tons of spikes stabbed through the roof, and on the top is some barbed wire. They really don't want you standing in those. I heal her up and break her out, but she is still ko'd so I pick her up.

Annoyingly, I use the many camp beds around and a onsie twosie cannibal will walk in from offscreen, pick someone up and throw them into a cage. And since they aren't actively attacking anyone none of our party will react to it. Gotta pick several of our team out of the cage.

While that goes on I have Drakenel search through the huts. Maybe these flesh eating tribals will have some neat stuff laying around?

Let's see... huh they got a wakizashi, thats cool. A helmet that none of them figured to wear... a book, some Cats.. and.. is that meat?

: Find anything good in there?

: :barf:

Besides the shrieking bandit, I found some ko'd cannibal hunters that I'm taking with us. Don't want cannibals picking them up for an easy meal, I release them as they regain consciousness.

Heading further westward....

I spot a ruin off in the distance. Also I thought this was a pretty nice environmental shot.

I send Lela and Ibble in to scout the outpost. If you squint really hard you might be able to see CommisarMecha's house from here :v:

The first floor is empty, but there is a bunch of goodies all in a line, leading up to the second floor.

: Well that isn't suspicious.

: Don't be paranoid, maybe something is actually going right for us for once. Who would set up a trap here anyways, robot spiders?

: The place is literally called "Suspicious Lab" on the map.

: Why would anything that we've met want to make a trap? Everything has just blindly rushed us. We're going upstairs!

: .....

: Told you.

: *girlish shriek*

Lela and Ibble stumble across some cannibals coming home and I got this wicked cool screenshot of our OCs doing some martial arts on a bridge overlooking hills while its raining. It was so cool I failed to notice...

Shrieking bandits coming across the rest of the party :eng99:

: .... The hell is wrong with you?!

Well that didn't work out well.

There is another set of ruins up north, we'll go ahead and go up that way...

Another shot that I thought was neat :)

Coming up to the ruins, its another destroyed village, this one being owned by Deadcat, the Fishing Village people.

Though hey, it looks like their capital is just up north! It would be nice to see some friendly faces up here.

Cause lord knows I'm sick and tired of seeing brightly red painted people :byodood:

Lots of lights in town, got some wounded so it'd be great to check into the bar.

.... Oh... ooohhh...

The city is destroyed and there are cannibals everywhere. Among the cannibals is this one named the Grand Wizard with a whopping 40k bounty on his head. Also he is actually wearing some armor (sorry, he is currently sleeping inside the hut)

I send Noire inside the hut and check the chests. Handful of some decent quality equipment and armor, some blueprints if I want to make cannibal themed buildings and a journal.

quote:

Day 4

They dragged uncle Sen away yesterday morning. Cut a piece of him away as if he were some... 'thing'. An object to be harvested. They stemmed the worst of his bleeding, but with his gaping wound I don't know how long he'll last... gently caress. We need to get out of here fast.

I messed it up. I had a quiet life, a child. Even earned enough to have my own place. Then I tried it. Just once I thought. See what it feels like. Tried it many times. Adding a little more every time. Hoping to recreate that first time. For every little I added I lost more. Didn't feel like it then.

Day 8

Uncle passed away last night. It was a death I'd wish on no man, hacked away piece by piece until he was a twitching stump of a person. They finished what was left of him for breakfast. And us? We retched on the leftovers. Fattening up the food caches... Frighteningly logical thinkers.

There are four of us left.

Day 13

Their eyes. They don't look like human eyes. No. They look like whirlpools. Like death. Like black

Day 17

Mother passed last night. Didn't make it as long as the other two.

Day 20

Death visited in the night. A cockroack. Pa-ru, pa-ru. Remember these words, she says. And then melted away again. Pa-ru.

Day 21

Baste the meats to keep it soft. Meat. Meat. Me-at. Me. At. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Day 26

Little Brother. So far away. Can't reach him. Can't hear him. Sometimes I talk to myself. Sometimes to Death. I miss the voice of humanity.

Day 27

Managed to pocket some wire during my trip to the chopping block. Everyone else may be gone, but they won't touch a hair on little brother's head.

Now's time to get you out of here, Robun.

God drat, that is horrible.

Going through the other stuff in the chest, holy poo poo a masterwork prosthetic? Just like that, in here? Was this in the base game or did Reactive World add this? Can anyone who played unmodded tell me if cannibal huts had such good gear in them?

It was at this point I realized Scorchlanders have glowing eyes. Imagine this is the last thing you see in the night.

... Unfortunately Noire was so weighed down grabbing all the good gear that her stealth plummeted and she got spotted by the cannibals.

Aaaaand shrieking bandits. Again.

: Can you repeat that please?

No one knows how to scream at bandits like Lela.

So I had Noire run back to the group while the group runs to Noire and when the cannibal horde meets the shrieking bandits I run east away from the melee. Just gonna let them beat each other up, but I did have to drop some stuff to get people to run quick enough.

Heading back we stumble on some Berserkers who decided to join that fight. Berserkers are Shek bandits who use heavy weapons and got some decent stats behind them. I pick up the dropped stuff and try to run past...

But they decided they want to fight us instead of the bandits and cannibals.

Bad move.

We head back to Flotsam to rest up without heading home and possibly triggering some raids. The ninjas yell some stuff out occasionally:

: This will be the age of the Flotsam Ninja

: The Holy Nation shall fall, and it shall be a woman who does it!

Preach it girlfriend *snap snap*

After getting the rest, we head right back to the west side. I'm trying to find some more science and engineering books, maybe the ruins out here will have some.

We enter the area of Purple Sands, the area is sprinkled with some standing towers and metal shells.

The ruins we come across looks like a place that would do mechanical work on cars. Lots of various crafting benches here with a bunch of containers hanging around.

One such container has 3 engineering research manuals :getin: These are slightly below AI cores on the end game of research items, they are used to research the biggest buildings and for a few specialized crafting benches.

Not only that, we come across a masterwork ranger bow. Hot drat, Shootaboy will be using this piece when we get back and I get him the proper crossbow bolts.

South of the Purple Sands is the Iron Trail. Lots of spider bots running around here, keep an eye out for them.

Here is an extreme close up shot of a bird that scared the poo poo out of me when it decided to fly into frame as soon as I hit the pause button.

On the way back home there is another village spotted that we go to check out...

Surprise, more cannibals :v:

These cannibals have their cages neatly sorted and tucked in a gated area, kinda smart. I avoid this one however, we got some loot and I'd rather come back rested and with open inventory space.

On the way home Drakenel patches people up after a skirmish.

: Okay, let me at it. Whats the problem here.... Oh... this is a bit gooey... Eh... Is that supposed to look like that?

A doctor I can trust!

Right outside of Jetsam... beak things. Fantastic. I didn't know they could be all the way up north here. We scoot on by into the safety of home.

I put up a watchtower by the gate, requiring large building shells researched which required one of our engineering manuals. It has 3 floors on the inside plus its roof, and we can build turrets on the roof. There is a little extension from the roof that I make sure to point towards the gate. This building will be where I put some training equipment at.

2 cannibal raids happened at once, the party watches from their new watch tower and takes bets on which group of scrawny cannibals will win.

After that showing I get to recruiting, another unique recruit at the fishing village

: Maybe, but why so secretive?

: Because if my brother finds out I'm leaving, he'll throw me out to the cannibals I'm sure. We took over father's fishing business when he died last year but... there just aren't enough fish to make a living these days. The business is dead, along with my sense of smell too. Lord save me from the stench of rotten fish...

: So what skills have you got?

: Always been pretty good with my hands, never much of a fisherman though... Was practically piecing together blueprints before I even learnt to walk. All I need is 3500 Cats to tie up some loose ends and I'm ready to go. What do you say?

: Sure, you can come with us.

HuoShengdi joins, decent labor skills and good engineering skills. Huo will be doing labor and ideally will be fixing up the gate when it gets attacked.

I build 2 weight benches and 2 melee defense mats. I set up anyone with less then 30 strength to use the bench and have our noncombatants practice melee defense.

I've also researched enough into iron plates that I can build an automated iron plate refinery. This baby requires 30 power but all we need to do is haul iron ore to it and pull the plates out when its done, no labor beyond hauling.

Dr Snark has made enough leather to start making high grade armors as well. I start replacing all our drifter's jackets and pants with these higher quality stuff.

Eventually I go ahead and start exploring eastwards, far east. Lets take a look at whats north of the UC lands.

: A lot of hungry Empire peasants live out here... It's likely we'll meet some of them... They'll want our food, and they wont ask nicely for it.

: More bandits, you say? Well, how refreshing, it must have been all of about five hours since I saw my last one.

We end up across an outpost called The Bastion. Its a Cannibal Hunter's HQ, plenty of cannibal hunters walking around making comments about us being wannabes. Pft.

And in the base there is someone by the name of... Robun! If you recall the captive's journal earlier, this is the same Robun. After escaping the cannibals he takes up cannibal hunting. Sadly there is nothing unique to do with him, we can talk to him but its just for the usual hiring them as bodyguards. Shame, really.

Heading further northeast, dodging various empire outlaws on the way...

We come across an outpost called Fort Simion.

: What'd ya want from us, eh?

Heading past the rude gate keeper we enter the HQ of the base.

: Forget it. I shouldn't have come here.

: Then scram! Before you become our next victim...

Jerk. This is the base of the Rebel Farmers. They are UC rebels, and Simion here has a bounty of 20k with the UC. They are the poor people of the UC nation who steal from people to survive, not necessarily only from the nobility. There is a dialogue choice to ally with them, but this will make us hostile to the UC so I'll be holding it off for now.

Heading even further northeast, at the very tip is a Hive village.

Nothing special about it however, just your typical Hiver village. Even though its all the way out here, they're still part of the Western Hive faction.

Heading back home, I realize Sandalphonse is ko'd. A rebel farmer knocked her out and is trying to steal her poo poo! I beat that farmer down, which of course makes the faction hostile to us. Drakenel starts patching her back up...

: This looks serious...

: ....Why are you stroking me?

: I...I'm a nervous stroker.

: Stop it.

: Yes miss.

fanart request

: I think we should stay clear of this place.

: Why? Its just a tower in the middle of nowhere, thrillsville.

: I agree with her. No good from this place, you've heard the legend right?

: Legends? Really?

: Its the tower of goats. Goats! Its probably some weirdo's grain silo.

: I heard this is where the Goat God Cornelius lives.

: ....

: Cornelius managed to charge into a group of 100 High Paladins and sent them clear across the ocean!

: This is stupid! There is no such thing as a Goat God!

: But you believe in Grievewraiths.

: That is different! There is gonna be nothing in that tower but some iron plates and building material like the other 20 ruins we've been through! I'm opening it!

: .....

:....

: ...

: ...

: ... I miss the cannibals.

:sigh:

All that... for a single science book and a bunch of useless chewed up science books.

I think we're done.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It really helps that Lela's mugshot has a distinct resemblance to :stare:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Real quick if you are someone who requested a name can you take a look at this pastebin and see if your name is on there? That includes everyone named in future updates as well as those I have yet to name, let me know if I missed you.

Dareon posted:

It really helps that Lela's mugshot has a distinct resemblance to :stare:

When you spend 3 weeks in a Holy Nation slave camp, you see things.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Seeing Sandalphonse mentioned reminded me, will you be able to give a sort of progress report on the crew at some point? IIRC Sandy was a field-medic type when she was still Truth, wondering if that's still the case.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I seem to remember finding some loot like you did in that cannibal camp too, probably because it's their capital it seems. I wasn't using any mods.

I don't understand this word noncombatants though.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't understand this word noncombatants though.

it’s “people who aren’t any good at fighting so they’re (supposed to be) kept out of the fighting”

like my character, whose offensive options are limited to harsh language and possibly chucking her empty bottles in an enemy’s general direction :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

Real quick if you are someone who requested a name can you take a look at this pastebin and see if your name is on there? That includes everyone named in future updates as well as those I have yet to name, let me know if I missed you.

When you spend 3 weeks in a Holy Nation slave camp, you see things.
I asked to be an animal some days after the second guy asked to be one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I asked to be an animal some days after the second guy asked to be one.

Alright got you down

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Seeing Sandalphonse mentioned reminded me, will you be able to give a sort of progress report on the crew at some point? IIRC Sandy was a field-medic type when she was still Truth, wondering if that's still the case.

Next update I grab a handful of people, I'll do a quick summary at the end of it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That'll be great, thanks!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Look, ya'll. The apocalypse is a harsh place. Be thankful that stroking a patient's hair is the only 'weird' stress response I developed.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SatansOnion posted:

it’s “people who aren’t any good at fighting so they’re (supposed to be) kept out of the fighting”

like my character, whose offensive options are limited to harsh language and possibly chucking her empty bottles in an enemy’s general direction :v:

They gotta fight eventually to get better at it though! Might as well start with some half starved cannibals if you're going to start anywhere. Who cares if they lose a limb or two, that's the price of learning.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Is there still time to be added as a character ?

Also, went ahead and bought this game, though sadly struggling a bit to get into it.

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 7, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Can we get a roster or something?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Arkanumzilong posted:

Is there still time to be added as a character ?

Also, went ahead and bought this game, though sadly struggling a bit to get into it.
The party recruit mod is a couple hundred people.

NewMars posted:

Can we get a roster or something?
It's in the OP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I never expected to be the guy who imparts wise counsel and silly myths. My toon has the beard for it, at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropico is cursed, think of another base name :ghost:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Volunteering the name Dead Meat whichever new combatant you pick up. Preferably a Hiver since they die the quickest.

I've never set up a base in Cannibal territory because I always suspected that what you're going through is exactly what would happen. A hundred attacks a day. I did discover that if you set up a base on the islands to the SE of UC territory, then steal a bunch of their slaves, they will definitely try and swim all the way to your base to yell at you. Which if you've built a wall all the way around your island is hilarious because you can shoot their heavy-armor wearing asses in the water and they have mo defense.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm happy my character has such an awesome hat! Also gets some lines!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Tropico is cursed, think of another base name :ghost:

Is this the base in UC lands? If so call it 'Dead Slaversville' or something.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I know it's probably not possible, but I have this image in my head of the town name just being a giant ASCII middle finger angled towards the Holy Nation.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is this the base in UC lands? If so call it 'Dead Slaversville' or something.

If we're naming it after local landmarks, it should be called Cannibal Corpse.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Tropico is the outpost you already built up, whoops. This happens to me all the time with these big game LPs, I forget where everything is without the map to look at.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Right I should probably clarify, that could help :v:

I built Tropico in UC lands, shenanigans have happened and I had to get out of dodge. We are moving to a place with several conflicting factions, one of them of course practices slavery so there is still that theme we have going with our party.

E: I should slow way down, before I start going "ok in 3 bases from now what should we do"

Materant posted:

I know it's probably not possible, but I have this image in my head of the town name just being a giant ASCII middle finger angled towards the Holy Nation.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I did suggest Lastation, remember? :anime:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I did suggest Lastation, remember? :anime:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Boatmurdered

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Holy poo poo, alright votes are over. You'll see when I get to it

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Geta over here :v:

seeing as most of your people with feet wear those wooden sandals.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

Holy poo poo, alright votes are over. You'll see when I get to it

You better build it in or around the swamp, is all I'm saying :colbert:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It better have a lava based defence mechanism. :colbert:

(Actually I'm almost afraid to ask what it will have in common with boatmurdered).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tombot posted:

It better have a lava based defence mechanism. :colbert:

(Actually I'm almost afraid to ask what it will have in common with boatmurdered).

Hope you like miasma!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I hope there are elephants, or a very aggressive equivalent thereof that schedules attacks on our fortress.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Leal posted:

E: I should slow way down, before I start going "ok in 3 bases from now what should we do"
Here's a question on the base building side - does the ai come to attack everything you build or does it need a certain size/pop before it cares?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Here's a question on the base building side - does the ai come to attack everything you build or does it need a certain size/pop before it cares?

A single well will make people want to run over to wreck your poo poo. Its annoying since the game does change your base's icon on the map when it grows in size, you'd think there would be a change in attacks depending on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah dang that sucks. I had visions of a small outpost that sells drugs and has skeletons that research getlit.exe for their brethren but it's not worth the hassle of you have to defend it against raids

And since steam is actually down in EU right now I learned that I can't play with the workshop mods without being online for some reason :(

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 7, 2019