Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I think this is the point that is getting missed. I am not asking how to lose weight, that is not my problem. I am asking about getting into competition shape which involves cutting calories but also making sure you get enough energy that you can still train.

Like, I know how to diet to lose weight. I am talking about diet for competition shape.

My bad, I guess I jumped the gun and conflated your question with the people who were talking about being seriously overweight. Made an rear end of myself because I wouldn't know the first the thing about cutting for competing sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

starkebn posted:

My bad, I guess I jumped the gun and conflated your question with the people who were talking about being seriously overweight. Made an rear end of myself because I wouldn't know the first the thing about cutting for competing sorry

It's cool

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm a proponent of just counting calories.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What do you guys think of this closed guard break and pass into half guard?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuoHxxslScA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1o7tilacuahaj

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What do you guys think of this closed guard break and pass into half guard?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuoHxxslScA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1o7tilacuahaj
Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but you've literally never seen a Sao Paulo pass before? This is a Sao Paulo pass which also has many variations such as the Chimpass. It's a well known and well regarded pressure pass.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I haven’t seen it before. The idea of flipping your hips to pass guard is new to me, I have mostly been learning basic fundamental guard passing and that move hasn’t been covered.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I haven’t seen it before. The idea of flipping your hips to pass guard is new to me, I have mostly been learning basic fundamental guard passing and that move hasn’t been covered.

Rotating hips is one of the best ways to break guard for my whitebelt rear end.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

A lot of diets work. I would avoid any liquid that has calories and have a cheat day a week where you can eat whatever you want to help make staying on the diet easier.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quintet announced an all female tournament for Fight Night 3 in (iirc) April.

10th Planet, Deep/RIZIN, Miyuu Yamamoto, & Rikako Yuasa are the teams.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 7, 2019

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yuns posted:

Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but you've literally never seen a Sao Paulo pass before? This is a Sao Paulo pass which also has many variations such as the Chimpass. It's a well known and well regarded pressure pass.

We did a variation of this at a Jake Mackenzie seminar where you hook the bottom guys leg with yours to clear half guard nice to learn the name.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Didn't GSP use the Sao Paulo all the time? I'm pretty sure Khabib does it a lot too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any tips/strats?

I'm a bit late but the YLLS Diet and Exercise megathread is a fantastic resource filled with friendly and knowledgeable people. Read the OP, read the last couple pages, and ask any question you have regarding the OP, they'll be happy to help

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 7, 2019

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Didn't GSP use the Sao Paulo all the time? I'm pretty sure Khabib does it a lot too.

Sao Paulo definitely works.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never knew it named as "Sao Paulo" but yeah its a pretty common move. My wrestling coach just called it a hip switch.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

When Mike Fowler came to our gym for a seminar he said that his top game is basically jumping into his opponent's closed guard to avoid open guards and then working that pass. I also never knew that as the "Sao Paulo."

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You can also call it the Tozi pass.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Had one of those extreme white belt moments where you do something so dumb its an immediately learning experience.

I've been experimenting with trying to get double underhooks on the legs when in someone's open guard. I was rolling, and realized I had one arm I could get an underhook on but the other one was caught. I was like "Well, i will get this one and then try for the other"

As soon as I did it I realized I just put myself in a triangle

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

flashman posted:

We did a variation of this at a Jake Mackenzie seminar where you hook the bottom guys leg with yours to clear half guard nice to learn the name.

I too had never learned the name São Paulo or Tozi pass (in my notes from years ago I learned it without a name and just called it "underhook pass"), so it's good to know what it's actually named! Was Mackenzie's leg hooking variation like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYOZYeY9IM
I originally learned this pass to include stapling their calf to the ground with your shin, then windshield-wipering your other foot over to complete the pass, but I like the looks of that ankle hook drag.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Had one of those extreme white belt moments where you do something so dumb its an immediately learning experience.

I've been experimenting with trying to get double underhooks on the legs when in someone's open guard. I was rolling, and realized I had one arm I could get an underhook on but the other one was caught. I was like "Well, i will get this one and then try for the other"

As soon as I did it I realized I just put myself in a triangle
You almost discovered the over-under pass though!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grace Baiting posted:

Just looked up a video and it looks like a butterfly pass

Which owns, because I needed a few more of those

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I learned a cool submission from bottom side control last night where you grab the back of their collar with your far side hand and extend it all the way, pushing them off you, then you scissor your legs around their head and pull on their collar. so one of your thighs and their collar are doing the choking. It seems cool but you need them to have their far side arm posted next to your near side hip to prevent shrimping otherwise the choke won’t work, I think

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I learned a cool submission from bottom side control last night where you grab the back of their collar with your far side hand and extend it all the way, pushing them off you, then you scissor your legs around their head and pull on their collar. so one of your thighs and their collar are doing the choking. It seems cool but you need them to have their far side arm posted next to your near side hip to prevent shrimping otherwise the choke won’t work, I think

so like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LADu3ZSiLo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I usually don't use much strength but decided to go full power (but not full speed) today because I kept getting elbowed in the face accidentally by my partner. Felt good man. I Karelin style suplexed a guy out of turtle and also picked someone off the ground using a one handed kimura grip and sat them back down to take their back. I think some of these guys don't realize when I'm being a nice guy so it's nice to remind them that I can be an absolute savage too.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 7, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

is a suplex from turtle considered a slam?

Because if not goddamn I know something to try next time. Time to put my deadlifts to work.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

I too had never learned the name São Paulo or Tozi pass (in my notes from years ago I learned it without a name and just called it "underhook pass"), so it's good to know what it's actually named! Was Mackenzie's leg hooking variation like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYOZYeY9IM
I originally learned this pass to include stapling their calf to the ground with your shin, then windshield-wipering your other foot over to complete the pass, but I like the looks of that ankle hook drag.

That's the one we did. From the bottom position he did alot of Frank Mir arm lock stuff when the top dude is digging for that underhook so it's created alot of interesting battles between the guys who attended.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yah like that Mel, but your far side arm isn’t framing against their neck, but instead it is grabbing the back of the collar from the inside and then extending and locking the arm out (imagine the long arm pass rushing technique edge rushers use), and you bring both of your legs up to scissor around their head

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

I usually don't use much strength but decided to go full power (but not full speed) today because I kept getting elbowed in the face accidentally by my partner. Felt good man. I Karelin style suplexed a guy out of turtle and also picked someone off the ground using a one handed kimura grip and sat them back down to take their back. I think some of these guys don't realize when I'm being a nice guy so it's nice to remind them that I can be an absolute savage too.

that would've been fun to watch.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yah like that Mel, but your far side arm isn’t framing against their neck, but instead it is grabbing the back of the collar from the inside and then extending and locking the arm out (imagine the long arm pass rushing technique edge rushers use), and you bring both of your legs up to scissor around their head

Ah ok.

I have crazy flexible legs so I tend to use escapes and reversals that use leg scissors and framing from bottom side control a lot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I visited a partner gym yesterday and got some rolls in with different folks and it went quite well. It was a good confidence booster, which I needed.

Yuns posted:

How is a Karelin suplex different from a regular suplex

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

I think it's when you look like this :

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

I visited a partner gym yesterday and got some rolls in with different folks and it went quite well. It was a good confidence booster, which I needed.

From what I've seen, it's the guy getting thrown is inverted. It's got a different name than a suplex. It's basically picking them up and throwing them into a powerbomb of sorts. Watch any number of Karelin highlights to see him hit this same throw over and over.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

CommonShore posted:

I referenced karelin because it was on a turtled opponent from a n/s type position not a standing one from the back.

https://youtu.be/6g21jEuHZvs

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 7, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like all three answers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yuns posted:

I referenced karelin because it was on a turtled opponent from a n/s type position not a standing one from the back.

https://youtu.be/6g21jEuHZvs

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I've seen, it's the guy getting thrown is inverted. It's got a different name than a suplex. It's basically picking them up and throwing them into a powerbomb of sorts. Watch any number of Karelin highlights to see him hit this same throw over and over.

Gutwrench Suplex :eng101:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fucccck greco is so weird. When I see highlights it's always dudes getting loving mauled, but whenever I watch it live it's like a game of pattycake that ends 0-0 on some kind of tiebreaker.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Fucccck greco is so weird. When I see highlights it's always dudes getting loving mauled, but whenever I watch it live it's like a game of pattycake that ends 0-0 on some kind of tiebreaker.

Wrestling is the baseball of sports, condensed neat 60 secs of highlights in six hours of nothing happening.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wrestling is the baseball of sports, condensed neat 60 secs of highlights in six hours of nothing happening.

Freestyle is fun to watch

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Every time I feel like I'm making a lot of improvement or progress I get tapped by a white belt.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think I've become a good wrestler but I've improved and now I feel like 90% of my standup time is looking for angles and entries, and then like 10 seconds of action. Then if it repeats I get too gassed and pull guard.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I think my blue belt is defective. It didn't make me any better by wearing it.

On the other hand though I went back and forth pretty evenly with a white belt who outweighs me by a solid 75 pounds and has been training almost a 9 months so I've at least learned something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

heeebrew posted:

Every time I feel like I'm making a lot of improvement or progress I get tapped by a white belt.

As an 'White belt' with 10 years experience, belts don't mean poo poo.