Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Chokes McGee posted:

just got word from NAMI about my lived experienced presentation training :bubblewoop:

gonna tell the whole world about my broke brains

Congratulations:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my personal meditation anecdote is that every time i've tried it i've felt profoundly uncomfortable in a way that i can't really articulate. it's not for everyone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my personal meditation anecdote is that every time i've tried it i've felt profoundly uncomfortable in a way that i can't really articulate. it's not for everyone.

if you are an 8 bit ghost with a drinking problem definitely do not meditate

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Updating the original post about the dangers of mixing PTSD with meditation. Thanks all, I honestly didn't know that was a thing.

I did know zen does weird rear end things to the brain though, I just stick to traditional "maybe don't be a dick to people" buddhism influences :shrug:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i have ptsd and i have meditated for many years, i think the important thing that made the distinction for me is that i had a teacher while doing it. she was able to help process and talk about what would come up during meditation and we would come to a better understanding of myself and how to sit.

I think that simple breathing exercises are fine and are harmless, but yeah if you have really bad trauma, you should do things that poke that under supervision.

a longer post i dont have the energy to do would be how about that discomfort people experience with meditation is in fact, the point, and a very important aspect of it. You have this intense turmoil inside of you and when you meditate you're sitting with that feeling without any distractions whatsoever. Learning to be able to look at that directly is a vital skill for healing and improving your life. It's intense, yeah, i mean, its kinda like looking at the face of god or cthulhu. Often times meditation is simply listening to what your body is telling you. So much of our lives these days is spent completely ignoring ourselves and our bodies and what they are asking for. This can be extremely intense! If your body is telling you that you cannot handle doing it, thats something absolutely worth seeking out a therapist or meditation teacher or spiritual guide to help sort through that.

I really do think meditation is extremely important and I don't want to discount anyone's experiences. I am not intending to argue with anyone because what you feel is valid! I just want to stick up for it because the last few pages have been really down on it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I've been trying to secure dental insurance for my broken and cavity filled teeth and its got me reflecting on the overwhelming depression I feel all the time. I have a therapist and I'm on suboxone which keeps me functional as a non-junkie, which let me finish graduate school, but in the year since I got my master's I've been unemployed and every day that passes I become less employable because I'm not employed, in an endless cycle of shame and failure. I've been depressed and on/off medication my whole life but dealing with the reality that I am totally unwanted by society and don't have a productive role to play anywhere is really overwhelming, and its been slowly overtaking my capacity to rationally analyze my place in the world.

What sucks, I guess, is in the past I've been able to solve my mental problems (or ameliorate them temporarily) by doing things I was "supposed" to do, like take medication and get good grades in school. I've been depressed with varying degrees of intensity my whole life, and I'm mostly a profoundly miserable misanthrope, but there have been couple-month-long windows where I was doing okay with a girlfriend and social life while working as a TA, which is why I don't have any debt. So I don't have to worry about that, but outside of having a net worth of zero instead of negative something I have nothing going for me. Its like, I tried the things you're supposed to do in order to progress, but now I'm out of options besides things that are so miserable I have a hard time contemplating them, returning to retail feels like the brain equivalent of staring at the sun.

Deep down I often wish that I'd get hit by a car and crippled or something because I've kind of let go of fantasies of a middle class existence with a career and SO and stuff, but I know there's some pleasure to be eked out of life sitting inside smoking weed and reading stuff/playing videogames, but I don't have any excuse to do that because I'm a normal, capable person who just hasn't amounted to anything. It makes me think about something from an episode of the x-files

I'm glad there's a thread for this in cspam because I have nobody to really say these things to that doesn't respond with platitudes or suggestions that I materialize a part-time job out of thin air/dehumanize myself and face a life of more grinding misery than I can handle.

go to a temp agency my goon!

they specialize in helping people like you get a little bit of career momentum back

go file some papers in an office for a couple of months and if you get fired who cares you can just get another temp job

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

go to a temp agency my goon!

they specialize in helping people like you get a little bit of career momentum back

go file some papers in an office for a couple of months and if you get fired who cares you can just get another temp job

this is why I contract as a filthy computer toucher. I don't get PTO or super great benefits but no one is ever going to say "hey guys let's pay a contractor to work more than 40 hours" and after six months I can be all CYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS if the place sucks

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Chokes McGee posted:

filthy computer toucher

stooooooopp please :(

edit: I know you’re joking, but I have a bit of a bug up my rear end when it comes to denigrating labor.

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Mar 6, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mekyabetsu posted:

stooooooopp please :(

edit: I know you’re joking, but I have a bit of a bug up my rear end when it comes to denigrating labor.

:(

my bad, I’ll keep that joke out of the thread

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
avoid lookin anyone in the eye

smile at a dog

e: also I wish I could touch computers

Mackers has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Mar 6, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mackers posted:

avoid lookin anyone in the eye

smile at a dog

e: also I wish I could touch computers

dogie is good, let dogie touch computer

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Touching computers is good! It doesn’t make you a bad person :). Or a bad dogge.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mekyabetsu posted:

Touching computers is good! It doesn’t make you a bad person :). Or a bad dogge.

that’s a weird dogie you have there what breed is it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
new items added to the OP! nothing major, just some extra non-med stuff to support your mental health.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
alright i bought the drat bruxism mouthguard.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

alright i bought the drat bruxism mouthguard.

:hellyeah:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Chokes McGee posted:

that’s a weird dogie you have there what breed is it

wait do pics of our dogs count as mental health content

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Goon Danton posted:

I hope so :3:

cats too

any animals

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

pre-op bebop posted:

I hope so :3:

cats too

any animals

I love this old picture of my kitty Lola with a couple of synths.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

hell yeah they do

dats a good papillon you got dere

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

im_sorry posted:

I love this old picture of my kitty Lola with a couple of synths.

"gimme a little more distortion in the bass and turn up the Feeding Me to 9"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
feel like rear end. got drunk and it just made me wander into a thread and melt down over personal poo poo and goons are weird assholes about that poo poo and don’t just let it be so i feel even dumber. wish i could get free therapy

SunAndSpring has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Mar 7, 2019

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

feel like rear end. got drunk and it just made me wander into a thread and melt down over personal poo poo and goons are weird assholes about that poo poo and don’t just let it be so i feel even dumber. wish i could get free therapy

I do that semi frequently lol :blush::respek::blush:

note to self: don't drunkenly pick fights in dnd for gently caress sake

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

hell yeah they do

dats a good papillon you got dere

He's an abnormally fancy chihuahua

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
those are some good rear end dogs imo

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Mackers posted:

those are some good rear end dogs imo

They're extremely good dogs. When I was going through my lowest depression, unemployed after dropping out of grad school, stuck at home alone while my girlfriend was off at work, those two really helped me through it. Cuddling up next to me or keeping me company as I wandered around helped, but the big thing was having them to take care of. There were a lot of days I would not have gotten out of bed, except that they needed me to walk them and feed them. My girlfriend would be sad but understanding if I'd slept all day, but I couldn't justify it explain it to the dogs, they'd just jump up on the bed and lick my face until I got up.

Also Sparky (the red one) is a lot like us in this thread. We're his third home: he was rescued from a hoarding situation, and then the older couple who adopted him after that returned him later "because he's a bad dog." We could piece together what happened there from his behavior: he wouldn't approach anyone from the right side, wouldn't let men touch him at all, and would run and hide if you were wearing "old man clothing" like hats or button-down shirts, or if you told him "come here," or if you held a newspaper that was rolled up at all.

The transformation he's made over the years has been incredible. Starting off biting at me if I put my hand near him when my girlfriend first got him, to now where he'll jump into my lap unprompted and roll over for belly rubs. I can feel the bumps on his belly where his ribs were broken, but it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. He's just happy to be loved.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

They're extremely good dogs. When I was going through my lowest depression, unemployed after dropping out of grad school, stuck at home alone while my girlfriend was off at work, those two really helped me through it. Cuddling up next to me or keeping me company as I wandered around helped, but the big thing was having them to take care of. There were a lot of days I would not have gotten out of bed, except that they needed me to walk them and feed them. My girlfriend would be sad but understanding if I'd slept all day, but I couldn't justify it explain it to the dogs, they'd just jump up on the bed and lick my face until I got up.

Also Sparky (the red one) is a lot like us in this thread. We're his third home: he was rescued from a hoarding situation, and then the older couple who adopted him after that returned him later "because he's a bad dog." We could piece together what happened there from his behavior: he wouldn't approach anyone from the right side, wouldn't let men touch him at all, and would run and hide if you were wearing "old man clothing" like hats or button-down shirts, or if you told him "come here," or if you held a newspaper that was rolled up at all.

The transformation he's made over the years has been incredible. Starting off biting at me if I put my hand near him when my girlfriend first got him, to now where he'll jump into my lap unprompted and roll over for belly rubs. I can feel the bumps on his belly where his ribs were broken, but it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. He's just happy to be loved.

They look like lil balls of barely contained love and you saved them :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

companion animals are good and cool

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

This story made my day. What a good dog!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sleeping well, I think it's partly because too many things in my life are unresolved and part of it is bad sleep hygiene.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SunAndSpring posted:

wish i could get free therapy

Contact NAMI, they can help.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not sleeping well, I think it's partly because too many things in my life are unresolved and part of it is bad sleep hygiene.

stress is murder on a sleep schedule. you might give guided relaxation before bed a try

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Restricting my phone use has been helpful for me. Had a therapist tell me to stop using the bed for anything other than loving or sleeping, and I honestly think it's really good advice.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
this fake outrage with ilhan omar is really messing with me mentally. assholes dog-piling her with bad faith takes are gross and obviously disingenuous. i'm frustrated with aoc's wishy-washy response to this, but i'm also side-eyeing people in c-spam ready to toss her into the trash the second she made a mistake.

sorry, just needed to vent about this slog of a shitshow.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Equeen posted:

this fake outrage with ilhan omar is really messing with me mentally. assholes dog-piling her with bad faith takes are gross and obviously disingenuous. i'm frustrated with aoc's wishy-washy response to this, but i'm also side-eyeing people in c-spam ready to toss her into the trash the second she made a mistake.

sorry, just needed to vent about this slog of a shitshow.

yeah same. That and the refugee concentration camps go above and beyond trump and the "wow people are stupid scambait" hopelessness

that dog story though :unsmith:

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I'm gonna adopt a dog.

Dont worry I know I am not equipped to handle a very damaged dog and will leave that to great people like Danton

But Ive got nothing but time

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I'll post pictures,

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Mackers posted:

I'm gonna adopt a dog.

Dont worry I know I am not equipped to handle a very damaged dog and will leave that to great people like Danton

But Ive got nothing but time

Full credit goes to my gf, she got him before we started dating and did all the work of rehabilitating him.

If you go to a shelter they will have a hundred sad pitbulls that nobody will adopt because of the breed's reputation, and they will all be very sweet but a lot of work because of how strong and energetic they are, so a lot of shelters won't let you adopt them if you aren't an experienced dog haver.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Mar 7, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

He's an abnormally fancy chihuahua

i love longhaird chichuahua's so much :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Full credit goes to my gf, she got him before we started dating and did all the work of rehabilitating him.

If you go to a shelter they will have a hundred sad pitbulls that nobody will adopt because of the breed's reputation, and they will all be very sweet but a lot of work because of how strong and energetic they are, so a lot of shelters won't let you adopt them if you aren't an experienced dog haver.

yeah even tho like i love big dogs my apartment is much more suited to a small one

i've had a dog my whole life growing up and ive missed it so much