Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I appreciate how the undercurrent of 3 is Ripley herself effectively being alienized by both the loss of her comrades, and by her being the only female on the planet. Fincher even goes so far to give her a xeno-esque silhouette by shaving her head, which is :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I made that, I'm glad it's still useful to people. :hfive:

Haha awesome. Thanks amigo!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It’s literally the cut scenes with some added bits. That’s what the press releases said.

It's not surprising that a studio and game developer would try to cash in on the trend of Let's Play and video game cut-scene compilation for themselves. I'm sort of interested just to see how they do it.

Like, how different is it going to be from the ones already put together, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbp-01epFmk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Resurrection is bad but not because of the direction. It has an incredibly terrible script.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So I skimmed through the A:I recap series, and it does add some new details, like exploring a little further what happens to Amanda after the end: She drifted among the station wreckage, eventually finding a beacon to hang on to, but also discovering that hibernating aliens are latched onto all the wreckage surrounding her. It then timeskips to the final shot in the game of the spotlight moving onto Amanda, unconscious in her suit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Resurrection is bad but not because of the direction. It has an incredibly terrible script.

:yeah:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Resurrection is the best adaption of an unpublished Moebius comic ever put to film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

Resurrection is the best adaption of an unpublished Moebius comic ever put to film.

A false statement since Resurrection is inferior to both The Fifth Element, Tron, and Heavy Metal.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

And then Whedon blamed everyone else for the bad reception when the only complaint about that film was the script lol:

Joss Whedon's Hot Take posted:

It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines ... mostly ... but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they'd changed the script ... but it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable.

My God he's such a tool. Resurrection had arguably the best cast in the series. The sets, design, and cinematography were all top-notch, too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Slutitution posted:

And then Whedon blamed everyone else for the bad reception when the only complaint about that film was the script lol:

My God he's such a tool. Resurrection had arguably the best cast in the series. The sets, design, and cinematography were all top-notch, too.

holy cow hahaha thats hilarious. aside from some of the cgi and the oodles of wetness, its really a visually gorgeous film. and the cast salvaged a lot of truly awful material.

where is this quote from?

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Went to see the 4k release of Alien at the cinema last night. I'm an Aliens man at heart, but drat, how nice to see it on the big screen.

This means the last 3 films I've been to see with the general public have been Alien, Predator and T2. Not sure how long I can keep up this string of excellence.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Slutitution posted:

And then Whedon blamed everyone else for the bad reception when the only complaint about that film was the script lol
He always goes on about the scenes they didn’t film too, like they would have helped things.

One of them was a chase scene with a Jeep or something through a massive field of grain on the ship (they were supposed to grow their own food). It read like something out of Jurassic Park.

The other was the ending, where Ripley has to face off with the super alien after they land on the planet. I think they kill it with a combine harvester?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I like that Whedon blames the casting of *squints* Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, and Brad Dourif.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

I like that Whedon blames the casting of *squints* Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, and Brad Dourif.

For real, gently caress Whedon.

Also LOL I know he talked about that scene a lot but I didn't realize he thought its absence broke the movie or something. It was supposed to be a driving retreat that would have happened right after they finish climbing out of the flooded area and meet up with Winona Ryder again.

The design of the newborn in the script was that it had a long mane of red and blue pulsating hair.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

alf_pogs posted:

holy cow hahaha thats hilarious. aside from some of the cgi and the oodles of wetness, its really a visually gorgeous film. and the cast salvaged a lot of truly awful material.

where is this quote from?

It was from an interview in 2005 shortly after AVP came out. I don't know the source, but I saw it on Resurrection's wikipedia page.

Fart City posted:

Don't forget Tuco Salamanca as well.

Resurrection also has some of the best extras on the BluRay as well. The interviews with Jean-Pierre Jeunet and his team of artists he brought from France to the film are the most fascinating bits. All the unique personalities and wardrobes (look at the concept art, they're great) of the Betty crew were done by Jeunet's team because they thought the characters were too bland on paper, which makes Whedon's complaint that much more pathetic. Fun fact: the actor (Dominique Pinon) who played the wheelchair guy has been in every single one of Jeunet's films, and Jeunet refused to sign onto the film unless he could include him in a role. He felt he would add much needed personality to the film, which he did.

Ron Perlman was the only person on the entirely production crew who worked with Jeunet before in France, and he apparently made sure no one at Fox was taking advantage of the language barrier with the French director and his team because Perlman is such a class act.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

The design of the newborn in the script was that it had a long mane of red and blue pulsating hair.

Good god, is there concept art for this?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fart City posted:

I wish that Wincott's character didn't die so quickly. Would have been interesting to see how the movie turned out with the same cast and premise but no Ripley as well, as her inclusion is the only thing that really drags the film down in my opinion. Weaver should have just been a cameo role with the freaky clone room and aside from that have the movie be a clean break with fresh characters so they had more room to breathe. Dourif was great and some more scenes with him being freaky would have been fun, especially with Jeunet at the helm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The studio toyed with the idea of moving forward with Aliens without Sigourney Weaver(I believe they told Cameron to prepare two scripts, one with her and one without), but after she got so much praise and attention for the performance in Aliens I think that kinda went out the window. By Resurrection she had so much power to approve or veto decisions that I don't think there was ever any realistic chance of the movie getting greenlit without her involvement.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That sucks because I really do think the film would have been better without Ripley and just have her be in the scene with the hosed up clones.

Bad-rear end clone Ripley sucks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Reminder that the alien pseudo-orgy scene in Resurrection was Weaver’s idea, and she’d tried to push it in 3.

So yeah, they just kind of let her do whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus with the extra $11 million saved by not getting Weaver back they might have almost possibly had enough money to salvage the script.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought it was fine until the back half with alien baby. What do you think should have been changed? And Ron Perlman is fuckin awesome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

River of Pain sounds like an aggressively bad book even by the standards of sci fi media tie-in fiction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

River of Pain sounds like an aggressively bad book even by the standards of sci fi media tie-in fiction.

Is that the one about the fall of Hadley’s Hope, or is that Sea of Sorrow? I get them mixed up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mean if you get down to brass tacks the whole premise is hosed from jump street. It makes no sense that they would be able to create a Ripley clone with a parasitic embryo inside from Ripley’s blood. Like either you’d just get Ripley, or you’d only get Brundleflies. IMO they should have left Ripley out alltogether, ditched the queen, and had the newborn be the sole producer of offspring.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Xenomrph posted:

Is that the one about the fall of Hadley’s Hope, or is that Sea of Sorrow? I get them mixed up.

Hadley's Hope.

Granted I just read a synopsis-review to see if it was worth it but it sounds real bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus with the extra $11 million saved by not getting Weaver back they might have almost possibly had enough money to salvage the script.

On the other hand, I think without Weaver involved you don't get Jeunet either, because her desire for an interesting fresh take on things led to the decision to hire him. They knew she would not agree to do the project if they'd hired a journeyman director to just make a cookie-cutter alien movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alien ressurection newborn is a bad idea, but it at least gives us Dourif's excellent monologue about wombs and butterflies. that's just about the last good scene in the movie, although when i saw it as a teen, i had a really vivid nightmare about the newborn crushing Raymond Cruz's head

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was scared of that thing for years as a kid.

I once caught it on TV accidentally and it roared on the screen and I ran the gently caress outta the room.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

alien ressurection newborn is a bad idea, but it at least gives us Dourif's excellent monologue about wombs and butterflies. that's just about the last good scene in the movie, although when i saw it as a teen, i had a really vivid nightmare about the newborn crushing Raymond Cruz's head

I think it was good and combined with the deformed clones it added some nice freaky body horror to the movie that actually felt fresh. The original design for the newborn was even crazier (I think someone posted a picture of it being a giant vagina monster?) and the sound effects (especially when it's being sucked out the hole) and behavior was so freaky and unsettling that I wish they had leaned into that kind of thing even harder. Ideally Resurrection would have just had Weaver for the clones as a cameo and had the next entry in the franchise directed by Cronenberg or David Lynch and gone weirder and weirder.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn't A Pup Named Scooby Doo also do a parody of the alien mouth mouth?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

SUNKOS posted:

I think it was good and combined with the deformed clones it added some nice freaky body horror to the movie that actually felt fresh. The original design for the newborn was even crazier (I think someone posted a picture of it being a giant vagina monster?) and the sound effects (especially when it's being sucked out the hole) and behavior was so freaky and unsettling that I wish they had leaned into that kind of thing even harder. Ideally Resurrection would have just had Weaver for the clones as a cameo and had the next entry in the franchise directed by Cronenberg or David Lynch and gone weirder and weirder.

The original puppet had like, a multisex...genital...thing that was eventually deemed too intense and was digitally erased in post production.

:nws::nws:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh cool the original design was by Chris Cunningham, apparently? that makes sense

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Currently reading The Cold Forge which I'm enjoying -- though the present tense I find doesn't really add anything -- and am wondering what the consensus best Alien EU novels are. Stuff that's not aimed at 15 year olds, preferably.

Anyone got any recommendations?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fart City posted:

The original puppet had like, a multisex...genital...thing that was eventually deemed too intense and was digitally erased in post production.

:nws::nws:

alf_pogs posted:

huh cool the original design was by Chris Cunningham, apparently? that makes sense

That owns. Would be horrific seeing that thing impregnate someone and I'd love to see what Cunningham would have designed for the eventual offspring and new style of xenomorph. He did some really good flesh/meat stuff in some music videos he directed ('Sheena Was A Parasite' & 'Rubber Johnny') that would have probably made the original chestburster scene look tame in comparison.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

I was scared of that thing for years as a kid.

I once caught it on TV accidentally and it roared on the screen and I ran the gently caress outta the room.

Yeah. I think the disgusting, nightmarish design of the Newborn mostly succeeded in just being so unnerving and unique. It literally looks like a malformed creature that is constantly in pain or something. That loving thing is just so bizarre and weird. I'll admit I hated it at first even though it succeeded in grossing me the gently caress out.

I think it's the same for a lot of fans: they were expecting something that looked badass like the Xenomorph, but Juenet went full frenchman and decided to go with the gross/bizarre/disturbing design instead. In hindsight, I appreciate that.

Edit: /\/\ The Newborn was filmed with the genitalia, but it was digitally removed in post-production at the insistence of FOX.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m pro newborn. The only new Alien I don’t like is the Pred-Alien. It’s a big headed stout horrible looking yellow monster and I just found it to be terrible looking all around.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yep. Predalien is also a hugely wasted opportunity. It feels like we could have gotten so much more out of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a bad design. And no offense to Woodruff who is great, but he was too small to play it. You need someone near the height of Whyte to make it intimidating.

It also feels like a cheap monster. All the aliens do. They’re all fat and rubbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone have the really early concept art for the Newborn that basically had no neck and was super leaned back and weird? I remember seeing it and it's chin was basically on it's chest but it leaned back so much it was basically looking forward.