Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh shi

Yeah, I think it's gonna start with the forging of the rings, 2nd season is Akallabeth, 3rd is War of the Last Alliance.

Yeah this seems likely the case, especially if they're gonna keep the name "Lord of the Rings". Having Sauron be the center of the plot that everything kind of revolves around makes sense. Although I think you can make an entire first season that ENDS with the forging of the rings. I'd say they're probably planning for more like 5-7 seasons, but having the last alliance be the ultimate climax of the series makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mahoning posted:

Yeah this seems likely the case, especially if they're gonna keep the name "Lord of the Rings". Having Sauron be the center of the plot that everything kind of revolves around makes sense. Although I think you can make an entire first season that ENDS with the forging of the rings. I'd say they're probably planning for more like 5-7 seasons, but having the last alliance be the ultimate climax of the series makes sense.

Yeah, you'd want to plan for five seasons. Or ten half-seasons the way everything has "mid season finales" and poo poo now. But I think those will be the three main arcs -- forging of the rings ending in Sauron's defeat and capture by Numenor as the first arc, 2nd arc the fall of numenor, 3rd arc the war of the last alliance.

There's a lot of potential but a LOT of potential to fuuuuuck iiiittt uuuuuppp

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well it’s rumored to be the most expensive television show ever made. So I imagine that means the acting and production values will be good. So the only question then is the writing.

But the raw material is there for some amazing poo poo, it just depends on how they use it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh this is loving awesome and SO MUCH better than Young Aragorn crap.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh this is loving awesome and SO MUCH better than Young Aragorn crap.

I agree, this is the one area of the legendarium that is so vague that you can do just about whatever you want with it. Within reason obviously.

What I'm saying is DO NOT GIVE SAURON AND GALADRIEL A SEX SCENE.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's potential here to make Game of Thrones look like tiddlywinks if they do it right.

sweet geek swag posted:

What I'm saying is DO NOT GIVE SAURON AND GALADRIEL A SEX SCENE.

Gonna be a shitload of Sauron Dong

I am really, really interested to see who they cast. They're gonna need someone who can do "charming evil" really, really, really well.

I wonder if they'll bring in Hugo Weaving.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 7, 2019

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

There's potential here to make Game of Thrones look like tiddlywinks if they do it right.

Gonna be a shitload of Sauron Dong

I am really, really interested to see who they cast. They're gonna need someone who can do "charming evil" really, really, really well.

I wonder if they'll bring in Hugo Weaving.

Fingers crossed for Galadriel pegging Sauron.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sarern posted:

Fingers crossed for Galadriel pegging Sauron.

Look, let's not narrow our scope here. Sauron + Celebrimbor Ring on Ring Action

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I guess the different maps they released must represent different planned seasons then? Since you can't have Numenor and Annuminas at the same time.

I also predict a Sauron - Ar Pharazon sex scene of some kind.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shibawanko posted:

I guess the different maps they released must represent different planned seasons then? Since you can't have Numenor and Annuminas at the same time.

You could, depending on how closely you hew to the very bare bones timeline of the LOTR's appendixes and the Akallabeth.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

so i missed this yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1vn85iQRE

this actually looks good, and the subtle Fingolfin vs Morgoth reference looks dope.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I mean, going from their "Welcome to the Second Age" comment, it sounds like they might be covering all of (or most of) the Second Age, and all of the maps basically represent Middle Earth in the Second Age at one point or another.

And actually, thinking back. There's really only two maps. The one that was slowly revealed culminating in yesterday's map, and the map they revealed today which is markedly different and pre-Akallabeth.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I mean, going from their "Welcome to the Second Age" comment, it sounds like they might be covering all of (or most of) the Second Age, and all of the maps basically represent Middle Earth in the Second Age at one point or another.

And actually, thinking back. There's really only two maps. The one that was slowly revealed culminating in yesterday's map, and the map they revealed today which is markedly different and pre-Akallabeth.

There is no way they pass up the chance to film an island being drowned by an act of god. We will see the akallabeth and then the forming of the kindoms in exile

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 7, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mahoning posted:

Well it’s rumored to be the most expensive television show ever made. So I imagine that means the acting and production values will be good. So the only question then is the writing.

But the raw material is there for some amazing poo poo, it just depends on how they use it.

The rights weren't cheap and given inflation and how costs are generally rising in TV production that's not saying anything remarkable, especially if they've guaranteed a certain run of episodes (which they have to with the upfront expense setting things up).

You'd be surprised how expensive some seriously cheap and tacky-looking shows are these days.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shibawanko posted:

Oh, we know what kind. Ar-Pharazon the Golden

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this actually looks good, and the subtle Fingolfin vs Morgoth reference looks dope.

It looks like it'll fit perfectly in the post-brexit world war 1/2 obsession and like they'll present the war as a straight up allegory...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, we know what kind. Ar-Pharazon the Golden

the piss scroll is real

Shibawanko posted:

It looks like it'll fit perfectly in the post-brexit world war 1/2 obsession and like they'll present the war as a straight up allegory...

ah yes, Britain has only been obsessed with WW1/2 after Brexit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

the piss scroll is real

ah yes, Britain has only been obsessed with WW1/2 after Brexit.

Sure but my impression is that it definitely got worse after, with movies like Dunkirk and Darkest Hour and so on, which this movie seems to resemble somewhat.

Looking at the map some more: the smudgy area south of Mirkwood now looks to me like it might be the Entwives' gardens, since they were supposed to be in the brown lands. It also seems like the white mountains in Gondor have a different shape on the western side. Eregion is present, Mordor is unnamed. It also kind of feels like Numenor is in a weird location and smaller than it should be. I'd like to see a higher resolution version of it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Sure but my impression is that it definitely got worse after, with movies like Dunkirk and Darkest Hour and so on, which this movie seems to resemble somewhat.

Looking at the map some more: the smudgy area south of Mirkwood now looks to me like it might be the Entwives' gardens, since they were supposed to be in the brown lands. It also seems like the white mountains in Gondor have a different shape on the western side. Eregion is present, Mordor is unnamed. It also kind of feels like Numenor is in a weird location and smaller than it should be. I'd like to see a higher resolution version of it.

This is VERY high-res:

https://www.amazon.com/adlp/lotronprime?fbclid=IwAR0aNU6xey0wYM2bzLBFEVaWF3Qn0rU7kO453OJtFEcMjtENVkBMsi78Vyc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do we know if the Tolkien Estate has buy in on this? Will they be allowed to use Aldarion and Erendis or will it be appendices only

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Do we know if the Tolkien Estate has buy in on this? Will they be allowed to use Aldarion and Erendis or will it be appendices only

The Akallabeth is Silmarillion, and the map they are using for Numenor is from the Lost Tales. my understanding is Christopher has ceded his position as guardian of the estate, or at least as whatever gatekeeper position controls the movie/tv rights, and the rest of the family has been all about getting that royalty cash, as is their right.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

They paid the Tolkien Estate $250 million for the rights.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I hope they don't finally kill off the entwives on screen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

If Game of Thrones is anything to judge by, the writing will largely be poo poo.

Actually Got did have some good unique dialogue early in the shows existence but it got hackier and hackier the longer the show went to the point that you could tell when it wasn't dialogue written by GRMM because it sucked.

You can kinda tell that in the Lotr movies too. Someone will say something that sounds unusually eloquent and then you'll remember that's because it's a line that is almost word for word from the actual books :v:.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

What I'm more excited about is the legion of nerds who get mad when they don't use an all white cast as though skin color loving matters in Middle Earth. There is gonna be a black elf played by like zazie beetz and the nerds will rage.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Zazie Beetz should play Sauron imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The relentless categorization of everyone into endless subdivisions of race (with all the good ones being white) was actually very important to the writing of middle earth

There aren't black elves but there should have been, is what I'm saying, and a TV show seems like a reasonable place to do it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

The relentless categorization of everyone into endless subdivisions of race (with all the good ones being white) was actually very important to the writing of middle earth

There aren't black elves but there should have been, is what I'm saying, and a TV show seems like a reasonable place to do it

There is literally no reason there can't be. Tolkien did not entirely get that modeling his fantasy world really accurately to the real world would play out as it did. People from all over the world were in Beleriand when it sank, and there is like a handful of elves who actually had their skin colors described, so even within his arbitrary assignments of color you can make it work, and tbh it should just be ignored wholesale.

I'm down for black Tar-Ministir asian Cirdan.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

10 Ways Black Cirdan Is More Important Than Ever In Trump's America

Edit: I don't give a single solitary gently caress what color elves are, I would just love it if they didn't give EVERYONE some form of English accent. I actually really liked how the 1977 Hobbit gave the Elf-king some weird Nordic accent.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shibawanko posted:

It also kind of feels like Numenor is in a weird location and smaller than it should be.

Indeed, it is too far south (should be around the latitude of the bay of Belfalas) and too small (it’s about 750 miles across, so should be about twice the length of the distance from Bree to Rivendell — on the map they’re about the same).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

Look, it says right on the label, "Moriquendi," Dark Elves

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: I don't give a single solitary gently caress what color elves are, I would just love it if they didn't give EVERYONE some form of English accent. I actually really liked how the 1977 Hobbit gave the Elf-king some weird Nordic accent.

They'll hire a bunch of actors from all over the globe then make them all speak in New Zealand accents.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 7, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Black Celeborn. Mixed-race Arwen. The Nerd rage would be fantastic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

Indeed, it is too far south (should be around the latitude of the bay of Belfalas) and too small (it’s about 750 miles across, so should be about twice the length of the distance from Bree to Rivendell — on the map they’re about the same).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

skasion posted:

my atlas of middle earth book shows it at pretty much exactly that location.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I thought Derek Jacobi was dead but I'm glad I'm wrong, who is he supposed to be ehhhh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Honestly feeling lukewarm about this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Honestly feeling lukewarm about this.

oh it's going to be so much worse than we can imagine

Worst thing about it: when the films came out I could at least take refuge in the silmarillion

This poo poo comes out there's no corner left for nerdery to escape to

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beleriand is still pure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Race/racism is very important in Tolkien's writing, and how we react and respond to race/racism is very important in modern society. Colour-blind casting would be a massive waste in an adaptation to a visual medium. "Tokenism" or what have you would effectively whitewash the more uncomfortable aspects of the stories.

Sam should be black or Indian, and Frodo and the other posh hobbits white, for example. Lampshade this poo poo so people more-easily understand the class issues at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oh it's going to be so much worse than we can imagine

Worst thing about it: when the films came out I could at least take refuge in the silmarillion

This poo poo comes out there's no corner left for nerdery to escape to

Don't worry book readers always get to lord it over show/movie watchers no matter the work