Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

It’s not murder if you believe in the force. Which he’s a Jedi so and the force exists.

It's absolutely murder, especially since Force Visions have been proven to be...fuzzy

Captain Jesus posted:

I think Luke/Kylo confrontation was supposed to mirror Darth Vader/Obi-Wan re-match in ANH though, where Obi-Wan shows similar disregard for his part in Anakin's turn to the dark side. Similarly to Obi-Wan, Luke's first instinct upon learning that his apprentice has dark side affiliation was to murder him (with the difference being of course that Kylo hasn't actually turned yet and also didn't kill any children yet).

That being said, the movie presents Luke dunking on Kylo as a triumph for the good guys and a redemption for Luke which is wrong.

Yeah I have to imagine that was the general idea but Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH isn't Obi-Wan trying to dunk on Vader; the quippiest it gets is "only a master of evil" which is pretty tame. He doesn't act like he is free of blame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well the movies show that Luke’s force visions re Kyoto were right so.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

Well the movies show that Luke’s force visions re Kyoto were right so.

What i find most interesting is that there's a case to be made for Luke bringing about that end as a result of his zealotry

If he didn't believe the vision and didn't creep into his nephew's room to attempt to murder him, Kylo wouldn't have felt betrayed and lash out

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

It’s not murder if you believe in the force. Which he’s a Jedi so and the force exists.

More simply going by the movies, it's not murder if you're a Jedi.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Darko posted:

I asked Zahn why he did the silly "Luuke" thing in the first place, and he said it was because he didn't feel like typing *clone* Luke over and over. So at least there was a legitimately lazy reason for the original naming convention.

plus unshortening "Luke" to "Lucas" instead would have been a bit too on the nose

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The issue I have with the new trilogy is that the main characters already when through a character arc, and their stories are done, but turns out though that right after the events of ROTJ:

1) Leia formed a new government, it failed, and now she's sad
2) Han got married, had a family, it failed and now he's sad
3) Luke formed a new Jedi Academy, it failed, and now he's sad.

Basically the ST is this guy in movie format

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The issue I have with the new trilogy is that the main characters already when through a character arc, and their stories are done, but turns out though that right after the events of ROTJ:

1) Leia formed a new government, it failed, and now she's sad
2) Han got married, had a family, it failed and now he's sad
3) Luke formed a new Jedi Academy, it failed, and now he's sad.

Basically the ST is this guy in movie format

unfortunately it's kind of the natural way to set things up if you have 'gotta go back to basic good rebels vs evil empire stuff' and 'gotta have the original guys back' as very important marketable bullet points on the whiteboard from day one

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

unfortunately it's kind of the natural way to set things up if you have 'gotta go back to basic good rebels vs evil empire stuff' and 'gotta have the original guys back' as very important marketable bullet points on the whiteboard from day one

Or you know you could actually tell a story.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

how are the things you listed not stories

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

you don't get sky-high returns on the new IP you spent billions purchasing by worrying about little things like 'story'

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

how are the things you listed not stories

People failing isn't a story to goons because they are all perpetual success stories and failure isn't in their vocabularies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
True, true

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno if i'd say the ST's story is about people failing, that's more the prequel's bag

or at the very least the ST's story is about people failing but very emphatically denying those failures happened, which gets real drat weird at times

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Brother Entropy posted:

i dunno if i'd say the ST's story is about people failing, that's more the prequel's bag

or at the very least the ST's story is about people failing but very emphatically denying those failures happened, which gets real drat weird at times

It's about how even your colossal failures don’t matter because the next movie, or even the same one, will forget about it.

Capital planet destroyed? No one gives a poo poo one minute later. First Order's planet-sized superweapon, the thing that they have evidently been pouring all their resources into under everyone's nose, gets blown up? No worries, they rule the galaxy the next day.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zoran posted:

Capital planet destroyed? No one gives a poo poo one minute later. First Order's planet-sized superweapon, the thing that they have evidently been pouring all their resources into under everyone's nose, gets blown up? No worries, they rule the galaxy the next day.

What makes the transition between TLA and TLJ not work for you when (I guess?) the transition between ANH and ESB does?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cease to Hope posted:

What makes the transition between TLA and TLJ not work for you when (I guess?) the transition between ANH and ESB does?

In ANH the Empire has already taken over the galaxy without the use of the Death Star, whereas in TFA we never get a sense that the First Order has resources far beyond what we see on screen (which amounts to Starkiller Base and the Finalizer).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In TFA, Poe is also visibly astounded by the interior of the crewed and operational Finalizer.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

The gap between ANH and ESB was implied to be months, if not years. The Empire already controlled the galaxy, so the loss of the Death Star wasn't an insurmountable blow, and the rebellion had always been small and in hiding. It's enough time for the characters to have plausibly moved around the galaxy, enough time for Luke to be an experienced squadron commander, Leia to be the de facto head of the rebel base, and Han to be increasingly nervous about getting away from his bounty.

In the new trilogy, the gap between TFA and TLJ is literally instantaneous. Rey holds out Luke's lightsaber in the last scene of TFA, and Luke grabs it in TLJ. Everyone starts TLJ in the exact same place they finished the last film.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Waffles Inc. posted:

What i find most interesting is that there's a case to be made for Luke bringing about that end as a result of his zealotry

If he didn't believe the vision and didn't creep into his nephew's room to attempt to murder him, Kylo wouldn't have felt betrayed and lash out

This is wrong, since Snoke was already corrupting him in his sleep or whatever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In ANH the Empire has already taken over the galaxy without the use of the Death Star, whereas in TFA we never get a sense that the First Order has resources far beyond what we see on screen (which amounts to Starkiller Base and the Finalizer).

huh, I always got the impression that the First Order was geographically distinct from the Republic and that the Resistance is involved in fighting them but meaningfully distinct from the Republic proper. TFA leading into TLJ made sense to me because despite the destruction of Starkiller, using it cut them off from support, so they're slowly strangling.

but now, come to think of it, I dunno where I got the impression that the First Order was a separate polity from the Republic.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 5, 2019

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The first order as depicted in the movies seems best understood as a reactionary pro-empire political party operating within the new republic system. The other thread has discussed this in pretty interesting depth before.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I come here for hot hot spoilers about new lovely movies and get the same lovely arguments about the same old lovely movies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Forgive us, lord

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

High Lord Elbow posted:

I come here for hot hot spoilers about new lovely movies and get the same lovely arguments about the same old lovely movies.

Yea with 104 new posts I thought the title got leaked at minimum.

lmfao at my naivete

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here’s your drat spoilers

https://twitter.com/ladewig/status/1103719662142009345?s=21

Read the full thread for more deets

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 7, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I saw..a space ship..and the main characters.

HOLY poo poo AWESOME TELL ME MORE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's the Kylo I know and love!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

We already had a scene of Kylo looking at Vader's helmet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
People seem to think that the bowcaster details imply that chewie dies

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lando kills Chewbacca.

By accident.

With a thermal detonator.

(It's incredibly visceral; Chewie's head explodes all over the place)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

You ain’t gonna like what they’ll give you anyway so why do you care lmao

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CelticPredator posted:

You don't like star wars (except the last jedi) so why do you care lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it comes after the last jedi you gently caress

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

celticpredator's explosive meltdown when episode 9 comes out is the only reason i'm paying attention to these threads

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll probably like it though. Unlike you who will bitch and bitch endlessly as you poo poo yourself because Rey wins or something

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If everyone died at the end of IX like the end of Rogue One, I would make a strong argument for that being the greatest Star Wars movie of all time, and perhaps even one of the greatest movies, period.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Lol do you seriously get hyped over the revelation that characters from a series are in the sequel? Like what are you even going on about.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll probably like it though. Unlike you who will bitch and bitch endlessly as you poo poo yourself because Rey wins or something

remember, this is a man who claims to Extremely Not Care about star wars lol

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He not cares so much hes got every poster in this threads opinion of starwars committed to memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Star Wars Best Of The Worst style is much more fun these days than actually trying to make sense of the bad Disney scripts they're made from