Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Something like this happened in Missouri, in our most recent elections we had three medical marijuana proposals on the ballot, one was promoted by every sane weed reform group because it only had 4% sales tax, and a second was basically all funded and campaigned for by a personal injury attorney and featured a 15% sales tax which would go to a research institute chaired by the very same man, and the other one was a proposal that could have been changed by the state legislature after going to a vote with the people. The first passed in a landslide, and the other two failed.

MA didn't get to vote on how they were going to do it and in fact a poo poo ton of stuff was made far worse and more difficult than it was on the original proposal people voted for! In this case it was the people in government really not actually wanting to do what the people voted for and mucking it up as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in uh movie news here's the last three things I watched:

Noroi: The Curse: Kind of a chore to get through (took two sittings for me), but once i settled into its groove it was pretty enjoyable. Ending was freaky but also ticked the boxes for some of my found-footage pet peeves. Reinforced for me that mockumentaries > found footage movies. Made me wanna rewatch Ghostwatch.

Leonor: Hidden gem I had never heard of. Gothic supernatural tale starring Liv Ullman and directed by Luis Bunuel's kid. Doesn't seem particularly acclaimed (just got a blu ray from Kino which i think is the first time its ever been on home video). Slow paced but great mood setting, might not work for everybody but i loved it.

To Sleep With Anger: I love stories about folksy charmers who may or may not be the devil. Wanted to see this for years and it did not disappoint, maybe Danny Glover's best performance. Funny and creepy in equal measure, good all the way through but the last 15 minutes or so are really fantastic.

I really enjoyed Noroi. If I remember to tonight I’ll dig up my effortpost on it. Basically, I appreciated its dogged assertion that the supernal could be deciphered and resolved, eventually, but that this process necessarily involved a reconciliation with our bloody history- and that the stakes for not doing so could be apocalyptic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most DAs in California are vacating weed possession convictions and releasing people who are in jail solely for weed related offenses. Oakland has something where people who were convicted on weed charges have a priority for the limited number of dispensary licenses, which is a good and kinda sneaky way to ensure it's not just rich white people, since rich white people weren't the ones getting arrested for it. On the downside, there's a state sales tax (~10%), a weed specific state tax (~10%), and local municipalities can charge their own sales tax (~10% in Oakland), none of which applies if you have a medical card, so it's 30% more expensive if you don't have a card.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FreudianSlippers posted:

For reference, how high is the sale tax on booze?

4.225%, which is lower than our regular sales tax. Overall, Missouri has some of the laxest alcohol laws in the nation, thanks to Anheuser-Busch’s base in St. Louis.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just saw that Serenity is on Sky Cinema in the UK and it’s the one month a year I have that activated because Oscars. Gonna have to watch that soon and join in with the hilarity

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That Vice piece is pretty dumb but points to something Matt Zoller-Seitz talked about quite a bit; that a lot of writers have no sense of history. This is why you get things like 'People are watching FRIENDS and they've noticed some problematic things' even though the fact there's no people of colour was always one of the earliest criticisms of the show, or that James Bond is kind of a dick. Part of this is because the ubiquity of streaming services means that everything you're watching is fairly recent so everything is now treated as new again.

HAPPY DEATH DAY 2 U deals with trauma, but the whole SCREAM series takes trauma and grief seriously. Declining quality aside, it's still consistent with how it impacts the people around them. So Sydney working on a crises support line feels totally in character for her.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this is from a bunch of pages back but terry crews backed off the dumb stuff he was saying the other day about parents and gender

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1103038516156489729?s=21

there's a few tweets after that too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To Sleep With Anger: I love stories about folksy charmers who may or may not be the devil. Wanted to see this for years and it did not disappoint, maybe Danny Glover's best performance. Funny and creepy in equal measure, good all the way through but the last 15 minutes or so are really fantastic.

The father waking up and feeling sad about Harry was a really nice choice, and kinda funny.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved this exchange:

"I have to know who is in my house."
"You invited me."

which is all a part of the movie's vague supernatural horror vibe that nevertheless is almost never explicit within the film's diegetic elements. Oh, and the underlying war between blues and gospel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I loved this exchange:

"I have to know who is in my house."
"You invited me."

which is all a part of the movie's vague supernatural horror vibe that nevertheless is almost never explicit within the film's diegetic elements. Oh, and the underlying war between blues and gospel.

The whole movie is soooooo churchy and moralizing but never feels obnoxious about it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

this is from a bunch of pages back but terry crews backed off the dumb stuff he was saying the other day about parents and gender

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1103038516156489729?s=21

there's a few tweets after that too

I saw one popular tweet saying that it was all well and good that he apologise, but he had loads of people telling him he was wrong and he shouldn't have had to learn it from a co-star which...is just a tiring way at looking at it. Not everyone comes out of the womb super-woke, sometimes it takes a friend to sit you down - not a stranger - and explain why you're wrong. The point is that he recognises why he's wrong and why his comments hurt people. Isn't that what we want out of people in life?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nice, my friend used to go there but he had a card for it. there's some place in Salem that looks cool too and i love taking any excuse to go to Salem.

NETA in Northampton is open for recreational, I think the Brookline spot is still medical for another couple weeks but will be recreational very soon.

axelblaze posted:

MA didn't get to vote on how they were going to do it and in fact a poo poo ton of stuff was made far worse and more difficult than it was on the original proposal people voted for! In this case it was the people in government really not actually wanting to do what the people voted for and mucking it up as much as possible

I was at the Question 4 celebration party on election night as a reporter, and I just remember the guys behind the campaign giving this big speech about how "today, voters chose rational policy or alarmist rhetoric" totally tone deaf to the increasingly red electoral map.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
making GBS threads on people who are imperfect but trying to educate themselves is the worst. It’s like going to the gym and mocking fat people, but for the self-consciously woke crowd.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o32YSV5bzxA

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I love it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hate the usual bullshit of "the apology isn't good enough". It's where a lot of left wing outrage falls apart for me in that there are tons of people that just prefer to be outraged.

I'm not saying there haven't been so e terrible apologies worth mocking, but it seems you get pushback no matter what

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axelblaze posted:

I hate the usual bullshit of "the apology isn't good enough". It's where a lot of left wing outrage falls apart for me in that there are tons of people that just prefer to be outraged.

I'm not saying there haven't been so e terrible apologies worth mocking, but it seems you get pushback no matter what

He did what a lot of people refuse to do and actually loving learned something and then said sorry. Works for me. Usually people just dig their heels in the sand and keep yelling "Nuh-uh!". Good for him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

axelblaze posted:

I saw some comments when the #metoo stuff blew up and I think it was Matt Damon who talked about now he has daughters he can't imagine them going through it and all that kind of thing. Naturally there were the very popular "ugh shouldn't he have known this before?" type of comments and it's like yes, and I'm sure he did, but like with literally everything in life your perspective is altered by people who are close to you.

Being on the forefront of wokeness sounds incredibly tiring. And at the end of the day if that's what it takes someone to learn and be better then that's all that matters. But negativity is infectious.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

He did what a lot of people refuse to do and actually loving learned something and then said sorry. Works for me. Usually people just dig their heels in the sand and keep yelling "Nuh-uh!". Good for him.

It also helps that he is very likeable and seems like a decent guy. A good apology goes a long way with this sort of stuff

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1103524417190092800?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The CHUDs are gonna loving run with that re: Captain Marvel.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, there is no way Captain Marvel is going to be good enough to be worth even half of this bullshit

Honestly, while the alt right people are obviously far worse, the people that are insisting this movie is really socially important and attacking anyone that thinks it doesn't look good are also real bad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

axelblaze posted:

Man, there is no way Captain Marvel is going to be good enough to be worth even half of this bullshit

Honestly, while the alt right people are obviously far worse, the people that are insisting this movie is really socially important and attacking anyone that thinks it doesn't look good are also real bad

someone once gave me an interesting counter-argument to this, which is that people besides young men (and white young men in particular) deserve to have mediocre throw-away entertainment too; it's still progress, still a good thing, and we shouldn't criticize it for that

i don't agree, but i do agree with one of the underlying premises, which is that things should be treated fairly; mediocrity should be criticized no matter who it's meant for :v:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

axelblaze posted:

Yeah, this movie seems to bring out the worst in everyone, but I have no doubt some reviewers are being extra gentle with CM just because it's disney.

I do find it a bit weird how invested people are with Captain Marvel though. If WW hadn't come out 3 years ago I could have kinda understood, but now it just seems strange, especially considering that CM didn't really have that large of a fanbase, as I understand it.
And it's not like Marvel are gonna push a radical feminist agenda, it's gonna be the same likewarm lipservice they have woth all their other movies .

Of course, that makes the anger of the chuds even dumber, because who the gently caress cares that disney is pandering to feminists in this one loving movie, white nerds got like 18 other mcu movies

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

someone once gave me an interesting counter-argument to this, which is that people besides young men (and white young men in particular) deserve to have mediocre throw-away entertainment too; it's still progress, still a good thing, and we shouldn't criticize it for that

i don't agree, but i do agree with one of the underlying premises, which is that things should be treated fairly; mediocrity should be criticized no matter who it's meant for :v:

Oh I'm not faulting people for being excited but more for them thinking it is important to like the movie. Like there's a difference between looking forward to a movie and seeing everyone that doesn't like it or doesn't praise it enough as an enemy. This isn't unique to this situation though. Like all the Marvel movies have had fanboys hyperventilate over people giving the movies they haven't seen a bad review, but this has people extra dug in because it's also political for them. I'm not doing a "both sides are bad" though. They're loving vile while the other group is just annoying

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

McCloud posted:

Yeah, this movie seems to bring out the worst in everyone, but I have no doubt some reviewers are being extra gentle with CM just because it's disney.

I do find it a bit weird how invested people are with Captain Marvel though. If WW hadn't come out 3 years ago I could have kinda understood, but now it just seems strange, especially considering that CM didn't really have that large of a fanbase, as I understand it.
And it's not like Marvel are gonna push a radical feminist agenda, it's gonna be the same likewarm lipservice they have woth all their other movies .

Of course, that makes the anger of the chuds even dumber, because who the gently caress cares that disney is pandering to feminists in this one loving movie, white nerds got like 18 other mcu movies

It'll still make eighty fucktillion dollars because all of these movies do and regular people don't care about any of this poo poo. The only ones invested in this poo poo are people who are extremely internet. Most people buying movie tickets just want a thing to do for a couple of hours with their friends and/or family or just generally want to take a break from whatever poo poo they deal with in their day to day lives instead of pouting about the SJW menace that's out to rip off all men's dicks and grind them into concrete to build feminist book stores.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’ve been extremely online for the last 15 years or so, I think I need a rest from it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve been extremely online for the last 15 years or so, I think I need a rest from it.

I also have this problem but I have the other problem of having nothing else to do. At the very least I need to stay the gently caress away from GBS threads that aren't silly photoshops because holy loving poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a generation cursed with popcorn lung and internet brain

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a generation cursed with popcorn lung and internet brain

Everything is tainted with carcinogens anyway. Popcorn lung is the least of our worries. Large sections of the town I live in were built on toxic waste dumps including a high school and a middle school surrounded by a residential neighborhood (no points for guess a lot of it is where poor and non-white people live!).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I may be extremely online but I at least limit myself to only being on Twitter while I'm on the clock.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Everything is tainted with carcinogens anyway. Popcorn lung is the least of our worries. Large sections of the town I live in were built on toxic waste dumps including a high school and a middle school surrounded by a residential neighborhood (no points for guess a lot of it is where poor and non-white people live!).

i just like the image that phrase conjures

but yeah there's a playground down the street from me that's filled with lead apparently

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A popular creek in North County St. Louis, where I grew up, apparently has been full of nuclear runoff for years, so don’t be surprised if I suddenly grow a third arm.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CPL593H posted:

My great grandfather on my mother's side grew up in Pennsylvania. When his sons got near enough to the age where they could work, he packed up his whole family and went north, far away from the coal mines.

He ended up settling down in Love Canal, Niagra Falls, and both of his sons died of unexplained health complications before their time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I live downwind of both a fuel refinery and a nuclear power plant, and both my parents were chain smokers until I was 15, so frankly I'll be amazed if I don't develop cancer even if I did everything else as safely as possible

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh hey, that gives me an idea for a Youtube of the Day

An Injury to One, excellent 2002 documentary about the Butte miner's strike of the early 20th century and the hideous pollution that still lingers at the site of the old mine.

Only about an hour long, great soundtrack by Jim O'Rourke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmkldrBhTs

Trivia: Dashiell Hammet was a member of the Pinkertons when they were called in to quash the strike. Red Harvest is considered by some to be a loosely fictionalized version of the events.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

What’s it like living in a Troma movie?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's appalling that people pilloried Spielberg not for making a statement against stream content, but for intending to make such a statement.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is sort of interesting how even if someone is over 70 and had a great life, it's still "what the gently caress cancer, leave him alone"

Like I'm sad about Alex too but this culture of death worship is getting weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Is sort of interesting how even if someone is over 70 and had a great life, it's still "what the gently caress cancer, leave him alone"

Like I'm sad about Alex too but this culture of death worship is getting weird

in the case of Trebek it's in part because he was such a constant presence on a show lots of people watched with their families for like three decades plus, and also because that video he did was goddamn heart-wrenching.

but on a lighter note it led to this video doing the rounds and i've watched it like three times today and cracked up every time

https://twitter.com/Bmac0507/status/1103432024306606081