Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

I think my next attempt with the A's will be this:

AAAAA Real Monsters

(38) L'ulo L'ampar [RZ-2 A-wing]
(2) Trick Shot
(1) Heroic

(35) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(2) Trick Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Greer Sonnel [RZ-2 A-wing]
(2) Trick Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(32) Blue Squadron Recruit [RZ-2 A-wing]
(2) Trick Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(32) Blue Squadron Recruit [RZ-2 A-wing]
(2) Trick Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 200

Trick shot all the things. You can drop Greet down and get Heroic on stuff, but his free rotate is very good it seems like. Haven't had a chance to run 5 yet, but my last two are in the mail now.

I like Trick Shot on Lulo, who uses his rear arc a lot. I'm not as big a fan of it on Tallie. She tends to be an in-your-face type of pilot who wants to use her front arc. I'm ambivalent of it on the generics.

Greer isn't worth it for his pilot ability. You can link into the rotate after any action on any pilot, and with that dial, those ships don't care if they're stressed. They have ten blue maneuvers!

The guy who can do actions after bumping is better (Zinta?) because he can run into people, then boost past them and rotate.

Some quick math to help with your choices. Numbers assume you have a focus.
Heroic + Advanced Optics = 86% chance of 2 hits.
Advanced Optics only = 81% chance of 2 hits.
Heroic Only = 59% chance of 2 hits.

You get into the mid-90s for 'at least 2 hits' when you have three dice. The problem is triggering those three dice (range 1, trick shot, etc).

Here's the calculator.
http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/2/multi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

I like Trick Shot on Lulo, who uses his rear arc a lot. I'm not as big a fan of it on Tallie. She tends to be an in-your-face type of pilot who wants to use her front arc. I'm ambivalent of it on the generics.

Greer isn't worth it for his pilot ability. You can link into the rotate after any action on any pilot, and with that dial, those ships don't care if they're stressed. They have ten blue maneuvers!

The guy who can do actions after bumping is better (Zinta?) because he can run into people, then boost past them and rotate.

Some quick math to help with your choices. Numbers assume you have a focus.
Heroic + Advanced Optics = 86% chance of 2 hits.
Advanced Optics only = 81% chance of 2 hits.
Heroic Only = 59% chance of 2 hits.

You get into the mid-90s for 'at least 2 hits' when you have three dice. The problem is triggering those three dice (range 1, trick shot, etc).

Here's the calculator.
http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/2/multi/

I disagree with a lot of this, actually. Tallie is rarely pointing at enemy ships, she's just a cheap I5 pilot. You pay less than nothing for the ability, and if it triggers, great! But it's not a big ability, and the potential for moving last is a lot more important imo. I use the back arcs on all of the A-Wings at least as much, if not more, than the front. There's a lot of switching it around. Which is why I'd value Greer a lot higher. It isn't about the stress, it's about being able to rotate, boost, and focus all in one turn, which I find myself wanting to do quite a lot as you turn to reengage.

Zari is fine, and if I had points I'd run him too, but the free arc change is so nice. Also, opening up 1 and 3 hard turns a bit more isn't nothing on Greer. It won't often matter, but with trick shot sometimes that extra positional room is what you need to trigger it.

Trick shot I just plain value over Heroic. Heroic is good, but I find that I take more obstructed shots in a game, generally, than times I blank out. Adding the third or fourth die to an attack is substantial. Heroic adding only a small chance to the odds of 2 hits with optics (81-86% as you mentioned) just doesn't compare to the jump to a 60% chance of 3 hits with 3 dice and optics (and a 93% chance of 2 hits on 3 dice).

Obviously you're not always trick shooting, but it happens often enough that the high chance for 3 hits matters. Definitely more than the ~6% chance for heroic to trigger on 2 red dice.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Are two falcons viable in Hyperspace now? Considering taking this to a league match tomorrow, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will simply melt when meeting lists with more gunz:

code:
Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

Ship total: 89  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 7    

Han Solo (82)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Hotshot Gunner (7)    
    Chewbacca (4)    
    R2-D2 (Crew) (8)    
    Engine Upgrade (7)    

Ship total: 110  Half Points: 55  Threshold: 7    

Total: 199    
Otherwise I might simply drop Han and add two X-wings.
code:
Wedge Antilles (52)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 52  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 3    

Luke Skywalker (62)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 62  Half Points: 31  Threshold: 3    

Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

Ship total: 85  Half Points: 43  Threshold: 7    

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

uncle blog posted:

Are two falcons viable in Hyperspace now? Considering taking this to a league match tomorrow, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will simply melt when meeting lists with more gunz:

code:
Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

Han Solo (82)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Hotshot Gunner (7)    
    Chewbacca (4)    
    R2-D2 (Crew) (8)    
    Engine Upgrade (7)    

code:
Wedge Antilles (52)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Luke Skywalker (62)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

I tried two Falcons in a casual game and it melted quick. I think Lando plus two ship is a good way to go. Lando with title, Nien and Leia, Dutch with proton torpedoes and Wedge fit nicely in a list.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Double falcon has some legs. Large based boost is as good as it every was against swarm lists. If you get cornered you probably get wrecked, as before. Against aces and named pilots, I think it heavily depends on what faction you see. Vader would be fine seeing falcons, cause those crits will build up fast, but other lists and ships might care more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

uncle blog posted:

code:
Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

Han Solo (82)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Hotshot Gunner (7)    
    Chewbacca (4)    
    R2-D2 (Crew) (8)    
    Engine Upgrade (7)    

code:
Wedge Antilles (52)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Luke Skywalker (62)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Lando Calrissian (80)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    

Two x wings is better. Hyperspace is far more about more guns than it is better guns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Looks like we should see release of wave 3 in 2 weeks.

AETHERSPRITES

will surely assuage my angst about the state of x-wing and make me more interested in playing the game again.

E: Previews on a Thursday WTF FFG UR DOIN IT RONG
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/7/terrifying-technology/

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 7, 2019

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Those buzz droids are actually pretty scary, drat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They really are, they're not a huge threat if you have the right guns pointing in the right places but they are essentially ablative armour for the droids, which is good considering the droids are the single most fragile thing ever to exist in X Wing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Discord missiles are going to be fairly expensive I assume. Around the same cost as Proton Torpedoes maybe?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If I get it correct, the buzzdroids, they can't fit the front or rearguids die but cause 1 damage first?

Can you use another tankier ship to remove the buzzes off somethign else?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
so if you have just one ship left that has no way of shooting from the rear and the buzz droids get attached to the rear, the only way to remove them is just to slam into a rock or something? That seems incredibly dumb.

edit: actually, you can't shoot stuff at range 0, so it doesn't matter if its front of back

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 7, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

so if you have just one ship left that has no way of shooting from the rear and the buzz droids get attached to the rear, the only way to remove them is just to slam into a rock or something? That seems incredibly dumb.

Hell, even if they can shoot from the rear, the droids count as range 0, so they cannot be shot at anyways IIRC

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So the Buzz Droids are basically, "attach them to a ship then run away LOL".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

So the Buzz Droids are basically, "attach them to a ship then run away LOL".

Honestly, it screams to me that it seems to be a way to avoid being PS killed. Launch the droids first to provide a cloud and hope the enemy targets it instead of your ps1s.

I think it maybe should have been launch at end of engagement phase, not start.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They get launched like any other attack, then just sit on the board until someone runs over them, assuming you don't launch them right on to someone. At PS0 in the engagement phase after that, they do a crit to whatever they're attached to.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I don’t think the “attach” word means they’re stuck to the ship, that’s just how you move the token when it’s overlapped or landed on, so you would want to plop it in the front guides to keep triggering it turn after turn. But that’s assuming FFG’s use of the word relocate in the text is actually meaningful I guess and lol FFG.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Also, you can barrel roll and shake them before they deal any damage.

You DO have barrel roll on your action bar, right?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Devlan Mud posted:

I don’t think the “attach” word means they’re stuck to the ship, that’s just how you move the token when it’s overlapped or landed on, so you would want to plop it in the front guides to keep triggering it turn after turn. But that’s assuming FFG’s use of the word relocate in the text is actually meaningful I guess and lol FFG.

It sounds like once they overlap, they stick to you through maneuvers, dealing damage each turn? Otherwise they would just deal damage and not move to the ship, I'd assume? Or am I misreading it terribly :ohdear:

Edit: as long as you can fit them in the front guides and can't barrel roll away they'd stick to you! You'd keep overlapping every move.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Also, you can barrel roll and shake them before they deal any damage.

You DO have barrel roll on your action bar, right?

Yeah, they fall off if you move and don't overlap them during the move. So rolls, or boost if they're on your butt.

In fact, a Reddit dude posted a list of ways to get them off you. Some of these are pretty specific, but overall there are a lot of ways to get rid of them!

1: be able to shoot at range 0 (Oicunn, Arvel, Rhymer.)

2: have an ally shoot them off.

3: shoot them before they're on you.

4: scrape them off on an object by forcing them to overlap.

5: Feedback Array

6: Torani Kulda performs an attack and the droids are in the front guides.

7: get them hit by a bomb

8: mines, if yours choose to affect the Droid, if enemy be careful.

9: Barrel roll

10: Boost if in rear guides

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Gate posted:

It sounds like once they overlap, they stick to you through maneuvers, dealing damage each turn? Otherwise they would just deal damage and not move to the ship, I'd assume? Or am I misreading it terribly :ohdear:

I read them as clinging to your ship, also; at least until someone shoots them or you hit an obstacle.

edit: okay, I didn't realize they fell off with a maneuver. It sounded like they just sort of stuck to the ship.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 7, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

There's nothing that says they stick to you permanently. They simply move to the front or rear guides if you overlap them.

So if they go in your front guides, they'll follow you around for a while. If they're rear, you'll leave them behind.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, went and re-read it and realized how they work. Still pretty strong even if they never deal damage, and potentially really powerful against low model count lists if they can't barrel roll. Land a couple of these on a falcon and watch it (not so) slowly melt. Hell, even just forcing barrel rolls at bad times could be substantial.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Could you, in theory, set it up so that you could ion an enemy ship and have them run through two buzzdroids?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could you, in theory, set it up so that you could ion an enemy ship and have them run through two buzzdroids?

Yeah. Multiple buzz droids is possible in a few different ways, the easiest of which is just to launch two into the same ship.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Multiple buzz droids is possible in a few different ways, the easiest of which is just to launch two into the same ship.

But if they overlap each other does that not make em both take one damage?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bunnyofdoom posted:

But if they overlap each other does that not make em both take one damage?

The way this will work is that they cannot overlap each other, so one will be in front and one will be in back. If one or more of those positions are blocked, one ore more of them will explode instead

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
11. do a reverse maneuver if they're in your front guides.

i like the idea of a space trucker in a quadjumper just calmly backing out of a cloud of buzz droids while the backup beeper rings through the cockpit

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm imagining Sal (the disgruntled trucker) from Futurama, saying "Yous guys wants to dies today? Nots me!"

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Buzz droids are cool as hell but I think energy shell charges en masse will be stronger.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

So a friend of mine just got me into this and I'm looking to start building up a collection, I'm wondering how the factions work exactly. Can I mix First Order and Imperial ships, or are they totally separate factions?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Namaer posted:

So a friend of mine just got me into this and I'm looking to start building up a collection, I'm wondering how the factions work exactly. Can I mix First Order and Imperial ships, or are they totally separate factions?

They are separate as are rebels and resistance. In version 1.0 they were the same faction, but now it's 7 factions. New factions are dropping in 2 weeks.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Is there anything preventing any one of the 7 factions from fighting another, like could rebels be played against resistance or the republic?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are no such restrictions. In fact both players can be the same faction.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Ok nice, think I'm gonna start out with the core set and a TIE x1, played with a squad builder and the two core set TIEs and a Vader x1 should get me to 200 pts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Namaer posted:

Ok nice, think I'm gonna start out with the core set and a TIE x1, played with a squad builder and the two core set TIEs and a Vader x1 should get me to 200 pts.

It's a good start, but note that "load everything down with as many upgrades as possible" is a very common new player trap. In general, it's better to take strategic upgrades that serve a specific purpose than to just load everything down to get to 200.

With that in mind, if you like the game, you'll eventually want more TIEs for that style of play. An ace pilot plus a miniswarm is a lot better than an ace pilot plus two TIEs all fully loaded down with upgrades.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That being said, starting with a minimum investment just to see if you like the game is a valid way to go.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

For comparison, four TIEs and Vader is a WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better list than two TIEs and Vader.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Wondering what that list would look like... Something like:

Vader + Hate + FCS
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics
Iden
2xAcademy

? (That comes at 199. No real bid to speak of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly John posted:

Wondering what that list would look like... Something like:

Vader + Hate + FCS
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics
Iden
2xAcademy

? (That comes at 199. No real bid to speak of)

Yes, something like that!