Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Logitech Slim is the best option. The keyboard is good, but it also detaches. The back case is relatively unobtrusive and never needs to be removed.

I love the Smart Keyboard.

I use it all the time. Apple has a great return policy so you could check out both and keep the one you like. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I love the Smart Keyboard.

I use it all the time. Apple has a great return policy so you could check out both and keep the one you like. :shrug:

I liked my Smart Keyboard until I lost it. If there was no Logi Slim I would have bought another one. But the Logi Slim with a backlight trumps the Apple Smart Keyboard.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

FCKGW posted:

A number of people in the thread swear by the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard if you want a more computer-like keyboard experience

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/slimcombo?crid=1762

They have them on display at Best Buy if you want to test them out.

This looks like it might mark up the glass with the keyboard? Is that the case?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh great! I appreciate having goon endorsements. I'll check them both out! I especially like the place to put the pen, which I assume it can still charge through the case provided I put it in properly. That's one thing I didn't like when playing with the other case is that the pen kept getting loose and I thought it'd be awkward to keep there in transit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

As far as I can see, Logitech still does not have a solution for the 2018 Pro models. As soon as one is released, I will be jumping on it immediately.

In the meantime, test out the smart folio in store if you can.

Otherwise, you can get a cheap folio style case and pair the iPad Pro with a K811 (backlit, rechargeable, 3 devices) or a K380 (NOT backlit, AA batteries, 3 devices).

I haven’t used the newer Logitech Keys-To-Go. It looks like a rechargeable, ultra thin, water resistant keyboard. But I don’t think it can have multiple device profiles like the K811 & K380.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XBenedict posted:

No, I used it since it came out with my 1st gen iPad Pro and never had that issue.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

There's a lip around the edge of the case so I don't think the keys actually tough the screen. If they do, then it's plastic keys against Gorilla glass.

The Smart Keyboard will scratch your screen easier since particulates can get stuck in the soft fabric and rub against the glass. I don't know how resistant the newest glass is, but I've seen screens scratched to hell when sand gets stuck between the cover and the surface.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Proteus Jones posted:

As far as I can see, Logitech still does not have a solution for the 2018 Pro models. As soon as one is released, I will be jumping on it immediately.

In the meantime, test out the smart folio in store if you can.

Otherwise, you can get a cheap folio style case and pair the iPad Pro with a K811 (backlit, rechargeable, 3 devices) or a K380 (NOT backlit, AA batteries, 3 devices).

I haven’t used the newer Logitech Keys-To-Go. It looks like a rechargeable, ultra thin, water resistant keyboard. But I don’t think it can have multiple device profiles like the K811 & K380.

Oh, the slim isn't for the new pro without the home button?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Oh, the slim isn't for the new pro without the home button?

No. And I'm as impatient as anyone for it (or any solution besides a CREATE style abomination) :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a CREATE somewhere that I got with my iPad Pro (bought used) and that thing's a huge monstrosity.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I like the 2018 Smart Keyboard. I haven’t had any issues with it and it’s super easy to just pull the iPad out and use naked.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Technically it would be the keys doing it :dadjoke:

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I can vouch for Logitech iPad keyboard cases. I have the Blok Keyboard Case for the Air 2, and the keyboard is better than some laptops I have used.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Brydge keyboard cases are a nice solution if you want a traditional laptop typing experience, though the ones for the 2018 Pros aren't available yet

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Acrobat + OneNote work surprisingly awesomely together and also with the pencil

Liking my new pdf options here

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok to post an SA-Mart link here?

Selling my 3 month old 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 (256gb Space Gray) (plus pencil2, folio, and wireless keyboard)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884491&perpage=40#post493340269

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New iPad Mini with Pencil support confirmed by Tim Apple.

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1107621536528130049

EDIT: Apparently they just launched new iPads by updating the store. New iPad Mini and 10.5" iPad Air

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 18, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

7.9-inch iPad mini
9.7-inch iPad
10.5-inch iPad Air
11-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro

i'm waiting for the iPad shuffle

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drat I wish the mini was button-less.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eames posted:

7.9-inch iPad mini
9.7-inch iPad
10.5-inch iPad Air
11-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro

i'm waiting for the iPad shuffle

An iPad for all seasons

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I know it has 64GB vs 32GB, but it’s crazy that the Mini is still priced higher than the 9.7” iPad. Mostly because consumers for the most part think smaller screen should be cheaper.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Gonna order one of the new airs, searching for cases doesn't seem to bring up anything, not sure if that's just because it's so new or because "ipad air" and "10.5" don't do anything to distinguish it from earlier iPad models.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cicero posted:

Gonna order one of the new airs, searching for cases doesn't seem to bring up anything, not sure if that's just because it's so new or because "ipad air" and "10.5" don't do anything to distinguish it from earlier iPad models.

The 10.5 ipad pro cases likely fit it since it looks like just an internals change of that model

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How stupid is it that I’m considering buying a new Mini just to play Football Manager?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I know it has 64GB vs 32GB, but it’s crazy that the Mini is still priced higher than the 9.7” iPad. Mostly because consumers for the most part think smaller screen should be cheaper.

Its SOC is also two generations newer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weedle posted:

Its SOC is also two generations newer.
And it has the laminated screen.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Weedle posted:

How stupid is it that I’m considering buying a new Mini just to play Football Manager?

Touch isn't even that good man.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Touch isn't even that good man.

I feel like half my time in FM19 proper has been spent playing footballer day care so I’m happy to let go of that side of the game.

eames
May 9, 2009

I wish they'd just release a macOS ARM mode for the iPad that requires a keyboard/mouse/charger to be present, maybe inside an app treated like a VM. Press the home button, macOS gets suspended to disk and you're back in iOS mode.
The hardware seems ready. If geekbench is any indication the A12 is 4-8x as fast as my old MBA (with 4GB RAM) which still works fine for most of my everyday tasks (email, browsing, watching videos, etc).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

I wish they'd just release a macOS ARM mode for the iPad that requires a keyboard/mouse/charger to be present, maybe inside an app treated like a VM. Press the home button, macOS gets suspended to disk and you're back in iOS mode.
The hardware seems ready. If geekbench is any indication the A12 is 4-8x as fast as my old MBA (with 4GB RAM) which still works fine for most of my everyday tasks (email, browsing, watching videos, etc).

*monkeys paw closes fist*

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Weedle posted:

I feel like half my time in FM19 proper has been spent playing footballer day care so I’m happy to let go of that side of the game.

Wait...that's not the point of the game? There's 10 years wasted.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So the New Air is the Old Pro?

I mean it looks like my Old 10.5 Pro with maybe a different chip, but otherwise it seems the same.

Tim Apple, you confuse me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It removes some confusion, I would think. Now all iPad Pro models have no home button, instead of just two of three.

Of course, now you have the Air, no not the old Air that was discontinued for a while, but the new Air which used to be the original — no wait second gen — Pro, which ... yeah ok.

E: on a more serious note, if the 10.5” Pro interests a person, it looks like it got a chip upgrade and the price dropped from $650 to $499? That seems kind of sweet.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 18, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

looks like something out of a The Onion article but is pretty useful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It removes some confusion, I would think. Now all iPad Pro models have no home button, instead of just two of three.

Of course, now you have the Air, no not the old Air that was discontinued for a while, but the new Air which used to be the original — no wait second gen — Pro, which ... yeah ok.

E: on a more serious note, if the 10.5” Pro interests a person, it looks like it got a chip upgrade and the price dropped from $650 to $499? That seems kind of sweet.
It loses the ProMotion screen, though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I want a case that's going to stop my 12.9 inch from bending by accident when I carry it around in a messenger bag, is Otterbox the way to go?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Surprised they kept the Air line.

So now we have the high end 11” and 12.9” Pro, regular end 10.5” Air and Mini, and the Old New iPad (2018) for the budget conscious, is that right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

So the New Air is the Old Pro?

I mean it looks like my Old 10.5 Pro with maybe a different chip, but otherwise it seems the same.

Tim Apple, you confuse me.

Faster Chip
No ProMotion screen, but it is laminated
Only stereo speakers instead of quad (different case too)
Probably less RAM (Pro has 4gb)

Boris Galerkin posted:

Surprised they kept the Air line.

So now we have the high end 11” and 12.9” Pro, regular end 10.5” Air and Mini, and the Old New iPad (2018) for the budget conscious, is that right?

Yes, and some work with Pencil 1 and some work with Pencil 2 :thumbsup:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It loses the fancy refresh rate and the quad speakers, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah it looks like FCKGWs list is complete.