Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That Italian Guy posted:

I can't really point it out without being super obvious, but I'll repeat there is one item that you have not built yet that is so broken a lot of people self limit themselves to 1-per mission to avoid spoiling the fun at normal difficulty level.

I'm playing on commander right now and gently caress that idea haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

That Italian Guy posted:

I can't really point it out without being super obvious, but I'll repeat there is one item that you have not built yet that is so broken a lot of people self limit themselves to 1-per mission to avoid spoiling the fun at normal difficulty level.

It sounds like you're talking about the mimic beacon, but that wasn't missing from his detailed breakdown, so I'm kind of lost.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bremen posted:

It sounds like you're talking about the mimic beacon, but that wasn't missing from his detailed breakdown, so I'm kind of lost.

He mentioned it at the beginning, but then when he went through the items one by one he mentioned in details flashbangs but not smokes or beacons; I tried to keep things a bit fuzzy since I didn't want it to be super spoilery. And yeah I'm talking about mimic beacons, cause they are broken af.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

That Italian Guy posted:

Skulljacks?

Uh, they're fine I guess, a 70% shot at an OHKO is great but it's no better than a sword ranger unless your hacking is super high.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If it's not that I legitimately can't figure out what I've missed. I'm usually (once I've had a little time to understand the game I'm playing) fairly good at assessing the relative strength of items.

I've got Battle Scanner, Flashbang, Medkit, Mimic, Mindshield, Smoke, Nanoscale, Acid Bombs, Dragon Rounds, Frost Bombs and Skulljacks. Nothing there strikes me as broken in any way (apart from frost bombs)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

Skulljacks?

Uh, they're fine I guess, a 70% shot at an OHKO is great but it's no better than a sword ranger unless your hacking is super high.
I'm assuming it's not Skulljacks, because he said "an item you haven't built yet" and you have a jack sitting in Emi's inventory.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Commander Keene posted:

I'm assuming it's not Skulljacks, because he said "an item you haven't built yet" and you have a jack sitting in Emi's inventory.

Tbf, I don't remember Nat having built this item yet, but I may be wrong. I'm sure he has not used it yet though. Also I may have tried to partially obfuscate things a bit outside of spoiler tags to avoid "hints" from becoming too obvious.

Or did I?

:iiam:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
God, the first sectopod or other enemy they face that can shrug off lots of damage is going to loving rinse them.

E: Oh poo poo, or the first Chryssalids :gonk:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

God, the first sectopod or other enemy they face that can shrug off lots of damage is going to loving rinse them.

E: Oh poo poo, or the first Chryssalids :gonk:

Eh, Chrysalids in normal are not that scary in new XCOM, but yeah the "kill everything before they can shot at you" mentality is great up until you start running into Andromedrons or Archons + high HP Advent pods, not to mention the real bastards like Sectopods or Guardians.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Eh, Chrysalids in normal are not that scary in new XCOM, but yeah the "kill everything before they can shot at you" mentality is great up until you start running into Andromedrons or Archons + high HP Advent pods, not to mention the real bastards like Sectopods or Guardians.

They're not super-tough, but they can take a hit from most of the cast, and they're fast as gently caress (with no flashbangs to slow them down). They might just get swarmed under by the first pack they encounter.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

If it's not that I legitimately can't figure out what I've missed. I'm usually (once I've had a little time to understand the game I'm playing) fairly good at assessing the relative strength of items.

I've got Battle Scanner, Flashbang, Medkit, Mimic, Mindshield, Smoke, Nanoscale, Acid Bombs, Dragon Rounds, Frost Bombs and Skulljacks. Nothing there strikes me as broken in any way (apart from frost bombs)

It wasn't something you missed, there was some confusion. It's what some of the spoilers were about.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We can drop it now I think. I played my first game without them and like Nat is doing real well considering the uphill battle he’s been facing since ep 1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Before the voting, an absolutely massive shoutout to my amazing artist Bifauxnen. She quietly plugs away behind the scenes to give you the update art that I post here and in the contents, but she went well above and beyond the call of duty for this, turning around an insane request I had in a matter of days.

Question 1: https://www.strawpoll.me/17553946

Question 2: https://www.strawpoll.me/17553971

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

:popeye:

Not an emptyquote.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

It really does make a world of difference having six soldiers instead of four, and this mission shows it.

For any other ranger I'd say shadowstep, but if you're planning on keeping Severa concealed I favor shadowstrike; she won't trigger overwatch while concealed anyways, and if something does go wrong having her be able to open up with a greatly boosted shot from concealment while the rest of the team is fighting can be really nice.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bremen posted:

For any other ranger I'd say shadowstep, but if you're planning on keeping Severa concealed I favor shadowstrike; she won't trigger overwatch while concealed anyways, and if something does go wrong having her be able to open up with a greatly boosted shot from concealment while the rest of the team is fighting can be really nice.

:agreed:

Oh btw about the 100% of shots hitting, that obviously doesn't count overwatch shots. But yeah, the team did great on this mission!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh crap right

please treat one vote for shadowstep as being for shadowstrike, I clicked the wrong one :shobon:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That is a godlike poster, I can practically hear the commercial bumper for it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To answer your question, "when was the last time we used scanning protocol" the answer is never. :v:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mordja posted:

To answer your question, "when was the last time we used scanning protocol" the answer is never. :v:

Its a good skill between fights.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll just say I am really looking forward to the next ruler.

e: Credit where credit's due, that poster is amazing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 9, 2019

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:kimchi:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

You da MVP!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

Agreed, would have even helped them at times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Affi posted:

It's not a bad skill at all, just in the moment it always feels like there's something else I want to be doing with that action.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bremen posted:

It really does make a world of difference having six soldiers instead of four, and this mission shows it.

Pretty much. She gets 1 shot if she wants to stay as a super scout once she picks up conceal, make it count by letting her 100%/100% people in high cover because gently caress that one guy in particular.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Excellent work, all of you!

Swords have, uh, kinda turned into Nat's shoulder devil here, haven't they? "Come on, run up and stab this fool, it'll be great!"

The tone of this LP has taken a turn from Emi to California Mustang. Will it hold out?

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

The tone of this LP has taken a turn from Emi to California Mustang. Will it hold out?

Eventually it will switch over to whoever has the biggest sword.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And then they will rediscover the Axe… and get told the biggest sword in XCOM can be found in WotC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So here's what happened with Severa on that early turn (spoilered for people who haven't seen the vid yet, Nat and Tea encouraged to read) Severa was on Concealed Overwatch, so she didn't shoot at first. The Stun Lancer moved around behind her and missed Ma with his lance. At that point the game re-checked LoS and Severa was revealed because the Lancer was now behind her cover...which, in turn, triggered her Overwatch which she used to murder the guy.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The voiceover for the autopsy was Dr. Vahlen, Tygan's equivalent from the first (new) XCOM game. Mostly infamous for being way too excited about cutting up and "interrogating" aliens. And yeah, if you'd played with the Alien Rulers story mission on it would have explained what's going on more.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Use scouting protocol when running forward with no scout in concealment!

I mean, not now, since you really need Emi just murdering aliens while you grab the objective

but in general!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I caught up with the last two episodes and let me say I am glad Rammer Ez has shown up and hope she gets the second chance she deserves.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh man. :sigh: My late stage campaign hit a death spiral of doom. "CIA" Dillon had been pushing too many pencils and got shot by an Andromedan . From then on it was a downward trajectory, losing important people on every mission. We fought like hell but in the end it became hopeless. gently caress having multiple sectopods on a mission. gently caress sectopods in general. gently caress the sectopod that killed my top Colonel in particular. Let's hope Nat and Tea have more success than me. (If it's any comfort I was playing on Veteran difficulty.)

:xcom:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Acid grenades and other similar grenades can't hit through cover because they are technically not explosive.

Also serial is a bit tricky but I think you need to activate it at the start of a round.

Other than that wow that is a early avenger defense mission!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe since Serial itself costs an action you can't use it if you only have one action left in a turn? Might be a bit of QoL from the devs in order to prevent you from wasting it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Serial is a sniper skill, and on a sniper it only triggers with the rifle (which takes two actions to shoot), so yeah they didn't want you to move and then Serial and then feel like an idiot for wasting it.

It does make things a little wonky when you roll it as a bonus skill on a class that can move+shoot though. You need to activate the skill before you take your move.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also it only counts for shooty kills, not axemurder kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Honestly the reason Serial requires full action points to activate is that it comes from the sniper skill tree, so they didn’t want you to be able to move, activate Serial, and realize “What the gently caress, I can’t shoot my gun and wasted Serial???” But if you had clicked the button before moving, I believe your plan would have gone off without a hitch.

Note for Severa: the game doesn’t make it clear, but (there’s a refrain) the Shadowstrike description that says “not visible” is being extremely precise in its word choice. That is a distinct state from capital-C Concealed and means Concealed or no line of sight. So you’ll get the bonus if you shoot breaking concealment but I think you also get the bonus if you are rushing out to slash from a place where you couldn’t see your target at move start.