Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think David and Rick were actually in a tough situation there but probably made the right call. They should all be operating under the assumption of a swap at 15, meaning the closer you can get to a unanimous vote the better. If they vote out Wentworth 4-3 then Wardog and Lauren go into the swap with no loyalty to anyone left on blue; whereas in this scenario, the only person they've potentially alienated is Wendy who is (1) unpredictable anyway, (2) probably easier to reassure since she didn't seem to have any particular bond with Chris or anything.

Now if they *couldn't* foresee the swap at 15, I actually lean towards it being the wrong call. Wardog/Lauren/Wentworth seem pretty unbreakable, so by voting out Chris they can't do better than a 3-3 tie. Sure, David and Rick could probably throw Wendy under the bus for one round, but in a universe where they don't swap at 15 maybe they don't swap at all until a merge at 12, and is blue keeps losing there are 2 more boots after Wendy that could very easily be Rick and David in some order.

If they vote out Wentworth, then sure Chris could flip back to Wardog/Lauren, but there's no obvious reason he would do that-- Wardog would have just written his name down the night before. Rick/David/Wendy/Chris are probably a tenuous 4-person group on that tribe of 6 then, and while it's not exactly stable I would take an unstable 4-2 advantage over a stable 3-3 advantage any day.

In this scenario, who cares if Chris can't keep a secret if he ultimately votes the way he says he will? If you're up 4-2, just tell Chris the plan at the last minute so he can't leak it, or better yet give him the wrong name and have a 3-2-1 vote. Maybe Chris leaks the fake name you gave him and you get Wardog/Lauren to waste an idol too!

Of course, this is modern Survivor where tribes don't last for more than 3 episodes so everything is made up and the points don't matter and they were probably right to just pile on a consensus boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

blue squares posted:

David is a lot less interesting this time around. He's not bad, but I really liked him in his first season and now he's pretty average.

David is still cool, but you obviously lose 90% of his first go around character when he's coming back for a 2nd go around.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Hmm I think some people should be glad this secret scene didn't make the cut for the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HVI7q1-Oo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I still think David/Rick made the wrong call. Sure, they kept options with Wardog/Kelley/Lauren open... but they had a solid 4-3! Chris is already someone that's willing to work with them. They were already leery of working with Wardog, they don't trust Wentworth, and Lauren's pretty tied to her.

Keeping a rock solid ally, or keep good relations with two others that might turn on you anyway? We saw how fast Wardog/Wentworth turned on Chris, they could easily turn on David/Rick too. I wouldn't trust Wardog and Lauren to 100% have my back if I was stuck post-swap on them in the minority.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
BTW seasons 1, 3, 12-28 are now on Amazon Prime in America.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Hmm I think some people should be glad this secret scene didn't make the cut for the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HVI7q1-Oo

I was definitely getting bad "cool kid" vibes off of Wentworth, Wardog, and Co so that doesn't surprise me very much. Makes me a little sad since I like Wentworth but like I said I get the vibe she's come into this season with a bit of a chip on her soldier/veteran bravado. Wendy's probably gonna do more stuff like the stealing the flint or thinking of releasing the chickens to merit some bad feelings but its clearly coming absent that stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, like Wendy is quickly approaching 'I don't care how entertaining you are, if I was stuck with you on an island, taking away fire or food will get you on my bad side very quickly' levels for me, but the Cool Kids vibe from the others is also pretty apparent.

I wonder what would happen if three/four returnees end up on the same tribe next week. Do they overwhelm the newbies, or just collapse into infighting? I'd take out the newbies myself since you can always find people to take out other returnees.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aubry, David, and Wentworth seem like they could combust really easy. Joe would probably go with the flow and I imagine if its him and Aubry with one of David or Wentworth it could maybe work. But if David finds himself on a tribe of 5 with Wentworth, Aubry/Joe, and 2 newbs it seems like his opportunity to take her out. Unless the newbs are Wardog and Lauren.

Oh Lord, BB20 Kaitlyn crashed RHAP Know It Alls. At Rob's house. You non BB fans have no idea how in character and funny and scary this is.

"I did not break into anyone's house. I was invited. She left the door open. It was that easy."

Chills.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Aubry, David, and Wentworth seem like they could combust really easy. Joe would probably go with the flow and I imagine if its him and Aubry with one of David or Wentworth it could maybe work. But if David finds himself on a tribe of 5 with Wentworth, Aubry/Joe, and 2 newbs it seems like his opportunity to take her out. Unless the newbs are Wardog and Lauren.

Aubry and Joe would probably align with the other returnees, I think they recognize that the returnees need to stick together. David would probably aim to take out the others since he can blend in with the newbies much easier. It's hard to tell with Wentworth, I think she's fine with any vote as long as it's not her, and we've already seen her with a vendetta against people who're aiming at her (Wendy and Chris).

Hmm, it'd depend on what the challenge was, but unless a returnee or maybe Eric/Gavin gets voted out before the merge, I don't see anyone beating Chris to get back in the game right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Joe would probably go with anyone who gives him a safe path. He's obviously playing scared and he's never been a gamebot like the others. Aubry would probably take the path of least resistance but she's got that potential to overplay in her, especially now that she's got some security with the idol. Wentworth is a tough call. If she was there with 2 vets and 2 newbies she isn't good with I could see her taking it. But if she was with Wardog or Lauren or someone else she feels comfortable with I could see it going different. And she's just giving me real "alpha overconfident" vibes.

But yeah, David seems like the one itching to take a shot. If we trust what he's said it would only make sense to take a shot at Wentworth and I could see him doing the same with Joe and Aubry.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
David is a relatively straightforward player; he either trusts you or he doesn't, and if he doesn't trust you, he wants you gone. He knows at this point that he doesn't trust Wentworth. But he didn't realize until this episode that he couldn't trust Chris, that Chris has allies he values above and beyond David, and for David, that's no good. If you aren't going to do what he tells you, you're useless to him. So rather than lay all his cards on the table and split the tribe before a swap, he decided to go with the flow and vote out the idiot who somehow managed to piss his side and the Wentworth camp off, maintaining some semblance of unity.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Yeah, I was disappointed to see Chris go to Wardog right after David said "I feel like if you go tell Wardog, this is all over" and they didn't even need Wardog. I think that shows David that Chris is *not* actually an ally who will work with him, who he can trust, and it makes total sense to get rid of Chris at that juncture. Once you know he's told Wardog, vote along with the others against him. Chris dug his own grave there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can understand the move in a 'if we get Wardog on board, then that's one less person we're blindsiding'. Chris just underestimated how close Wardog was to Wentworth, and also he made the error of making the move sound like he was his idea. He should have totally thrown David/Rick under the bus.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If he was very good at this he wouldn't have spilled the beans regarding a powerful pre-merge vote in the first place, never minding how he may have spun it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That was a pretty interesting vote. Obviosuly Chris really hosed up telling a guy who was more loyal to Kelley that he wanted to vote out Kelley. But he probably didn't expect a guy he thought was his ally to swing the vote over to him instead of Wendy. Tough break there and doubly tough that he still had the numbers but David/Devens decided to bail once Wendy was protected and once he showed he couldn't be trusted to keep his mouth shut.

Probably good decision by those guys, since it keeps the tribe united going into the swap, and keeps the trusted player they wanted to save (although I'm not sure if Wendy will actually be a good ally or not). I also really like David gunning for Kelley actually, it unites him with the newbies and if there's fewer returnees out there he's less of a threat himself.

Not sure the boot makes much sense from Wardog unless sacrificing Chris was the only way to save Kelley.

Lone Goat posted:

I hope climbing that hill spends more calories than you get from the rice.

Also why not just stay at the top of the hill???
Honestly that map and hike to the food drop spot took me back to early Survivor where they had to trek out like that to find their water source. Kind of enjoyed it even though I still don't want anyone coming back into the game past the merge.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 7, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, the real head scratcher is why Wardog kept Chris over Wendy. Chris is still a good shield, and even if you burn his loyalty slightly by voting out Wendy instead of Wentworth, he's far more likely to work with Wardog again then Wendy will.

And, y'know, you might have a chicken to eat tomorrow.

It's possible that Wentworth went scorched earth on Chris after Wardog told her, I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He seemed like a whiny loser trying to save face with his gently caress THOSE GUYS arrival at exile

Like, one dude told you explicitly don't tell Wardog. Then you did, but he was right and Wardog blabbed, so you pissed off both sides. Ya hosed up, kid

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I tire of the wardog.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I want Wendy to burn her whole team down, none of them are very endearing.

Plus, Rick resembles a better-looking Jared Fogle, and it's really bothering me.

Spokes posted:

I tire of the wardog.

His bios and interviews talk up what a quick thinker and funny person he is, but he's not coming off very bright in the edit. Plus, ya know... "The Wardog."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's actually seemed kind of rational and competent as a player. I mean he's clearly got an ego and I think its very questionable that he seems so loyal to Wentworth who probably views him as a shield. But sadly I don't think he's an idiot.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
People would probably view Wardog a lot more positively if he wasn't "Wardog".

Wonder if Chris would still be there if he said it was David/Rick who came up with the plan. Seems like going it alone was about the worst possible option out of not talking at all or giving full info.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

freeman posted:

People would probably view Wardog a lot more positively if he wasn't "Wardog".

I say with complete honesty and lack of shame that the ONLY reason I dislike the guy is because of his name. I mean other reasons are starting to maybe surface but the second I saw "Wardog" on the screen I knew who I was rooting against.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Wardog reminds me of a toned down version of that really annoying guy who won that season (Cagayan?) with Awful Sarah and Chaos Kass.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Yeah, I hate Wardog because of that name. He probably chose the name for himself, too. I just now tried to imagine him with a normal name like Jerry and it was a little better.

Also I think I might be the minority goon in this thread who doesn't like Wendy. I will absolutely love to see the chaos she brings next episode, though!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean in fairness its not the name its that he chose it for himself. If his parents named in Wardog... well I'd still question why he hadn't changed it. But he's just a person who made the conscious decision to make the first impression he gives to people "My name is Wardog." And well... mission accomplished.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AWarmBody posted:

Yeah, I hate Wardog because of that name. He probably chose the name for himself, too. I just now tried to imagine him with a normal name like Jerry and it was a little better.

Also I think I might be the minority goon in this thread who doesn't like Wendy. I will absolutely love to see the chaos she brings next episode, though!

I was down on Wendy the moment she started taking the flint (and judging from the preview for next week, she's about to sink even lower in my eyes). You don't mess with people's survival.

Apparently according to social media she's been a vegetarian for a few months now, so good for her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "she's not a vegetarian" thing was really stupid and obnoxious because like... its entirely possible that someone can go their whole life eating meat and then when posed with the prospect of killing, cooking, and eating a live animal has a change of heart. I'm not a vegetarian so I'm not taking a moral stance on that, but like people change and even if she wasn't a vegetarian post show I can understand why someone would be uncomfortable with that act. Hell, I love meat and I have no idea if I could kill a live animal to eat. I've never been put in that position and don't know how I'd respond.

That being said, Wendy's obviously doing stuff with the flint and chickens that give people good reason to dislike her. I think I'd probably react to her the way David and Not Subway Guy are, with a kind of bemusement and acceptance. But its totally understandable that someone would be upset if they knew she stole their flint.

But like... that's not really why they are upset. Wentworth's clearly personalizing the votes against her and stuff like mocking her sprained ankle is just bully nonsense.

Wendy's a curious and complicated person and her tribe mates' reactions to her are equally complicated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I kiiinda feel bad for David/Rick because they're stuck between a bullying majority and a quirky self-sabotaging minority. But at the same time they're not doing anything to help ease tension around camp (like talking to Wendy and making sure she's not going to do anything stupid, or telling the others to lay off a bit).

Manu is the most high-school tribe I've seen in a long while. Cool Kids, Geeks, and People Just Trying To Make It To The End of the Year.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

According to the CBS website, his real name is Dan DaSilva and his full nickname is "The Wardog."
https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216070/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the whole group just feels dysfunctional to me. Like Wendy doesn't seem especially shy or self ostracizing or overly annoying. Maybe we're missing a lot but if she's feeling isolated and left out some of that has to fall on the rest of the tribe. And David's comments seem to back up the idea that there's a high school bullying aspect to it and he wants to go against that idea and just treat Wendy decently. And to some extent you gotta think Wendy doesn't do poo poo like stealing flint or considering releasing the chickens if she's more invested in the tribe and doesn't feel like an outsider.

Or who knows, maybe Wendy is a terror and the TV edit is just being kind? But David's stuff seems to support the more nuanced take. And Not Jared seems to be in the same basic place.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Unfortunately, poo poo like that is part and parcel of Survivor gameplay. One of the surest ways to bond a group of people together is to find a clearly defined Other for them to rag on. To create an Us, you must also create a Them, and the more clearly you draw and reinforce the line between the two, the less likely anyone is to cross it. If we have people treating Wendy as a decent human, they might actually consider not getting rid of her, or even working with her, and we can't have that. So Wendy is automatically The Worst and everything she does is taken as reinforcement of that fact. She's not limping because she's hurt, she's limping because she's a melodramatic attention seeker who knows she's about to get voted out and wants everyone to feel sorry for her. She's not a person with a hurt ankle, she's a faker, therefore we don't actually have to feel any remorse for how we are treating her and are Good and Right to be doing exactly what we are doing. That's probably how they justified what they were doing to themselves, consciously or otherwise.

It's ugly, but it works. Redemption Island Boston Rob is proof enough of that. That's why David isn't stopping it, even though he disagrees with it. Plus, this particular instance isn't even in the top ten ugliest things I've seen on Survivor. It's possible Wendy didn't even know this was happening until last night. It's lovely, but not unforgivably so.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Thought it was funny Rick has been itching to make a big move!!! 9 days into the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, i don't think anyone's saying Wentworth and Wardog are the new Colton or Corinne or that guy who told Shirin her mom put her up for adoption because she sucked or something. Its just an unfortunate and not fun thing to watch.

And its probably going to be a polarizing topic since Wendy's doing things that warrant negative feelings towards her and Wentworth came in with a big fanbase. Then again, maybe Wendy ends up on a tribe with Joe, David, and a bunch of people who love her, they dominate, and this never comes up again. Who knows?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AWarmBody posted:

I liked her the first two weeks but yeah this week was Real Bad and I was hoping she'd get axed.

She's good TV though

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Making fun of an outsider might sometimes be an effective strategy but it's hardly this necessary unavoidable part of the game. I guess we don't see 24/7 footage, but I kind of doubt that recent winners like Adam or Wendell would really be rallying the troops to laugh at a teammate with a visibly bruised ankle.

There are plenty of other ways to unite a group against a common enemy besides uglyish bullying, and while those other ways might require more work they're probably worth it both on the level of basic human decency and also on a strategic level (probably easier to gather jury votes at the end if you consistently kept all your blows above the belt).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe the edit was downplaying the amount of whining Wendy was doing (as we saw with the chickens, she moans, a lot), but David was sympathetic at least.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Even if the person at the bottom is annoying the crap out of you at this stage of the game it's still good to treat them well. You never know if a swap or merge will come up and they will turn on your rear end at the first opportunity. There have been many examples of this in Survivor history

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

clown shoes posted:

According to the CBS website, his real name is Dan DaSilva and his full nickname is "The Wardog."
https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216070/

His mom is going to show up at the end, and it'll be the scene from The Last Crusade. "Your name is Clarence. Clarence Dan DaSilva"

He'll mumble-whine "mom, I told you to call me Wardog"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pumped up for school posted:

His mom is going to show up at the end, and it'll be the scene from The Last Crusade. "Your name is Clarence. Clarence Dan DaSilva"

He'll mumble-whine "mom, I told you to call me Wardog"

It'll be like the Redemption Island finale where they'll have his handler there and Jeff will ask her "is he really in the CIA?? his name really The Wardog??" and she won't give an answer but when they come back from commercial Jeff will say "she admitted his name was Wardog!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Did anyone listen all the way through the Spencer recap on RHAP? I checked out when the son of two addicts was talking about doing mushrooms and ayuhuasca and poo poo.