Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

I looked up a review of the box and they had packed the instructions next to the sprue in that one so yeah, mispack. The hassle of return is a bummer though and I could live with the damaged board, but why should I? From what I hear gw customer support is great though, so hopefully I'll get assistance.

They'll send you anything from a replacement to a whole new box. Don't think they require more than photos and receipt even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Plavski posted:

I looked up a review of the box and they had packed the instructions next to the sprue in that one so yeah, mispack. The hassle of return is a bummer though and I could live with the damaged board, but why should I? From what I hear gw customer support is great though, so hopefully I'll get assistance.

Z the IVth posted:

They'll send you anything from a replacement to a whole new box. Don't think they require more than photos and receipt even.

I had the same issue with my Nightvault board being damaged a week or two ago. They sent a replacement pretty quickly, although I did need to provide photos and also proof of purchase from a non-eBay seller. Sadly it was just the board as they have separate stock from the full boxes. Yours might be different if they only have the boxes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Cross post again. I did up a base for the Reaver and slapped some of the boxed decals on it. I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Plavski posted:

GW customer support are pretty good in my experience, though lately they've been moving away from sending full box replacements (I think too many people abused the system) - most likely they'll ask for pics of the damage and proof of purchase, and will send you a replacement board without asking for returns.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Managed to squeeze in another game of AT, this time with a much wider selection of weapons having bought the new Warlord sprue and two of the new Reaver boxes.

Took a Gryphonicus Myrmidon maniple with:
Warlord - Double volcano cannon / apoc launchers
Warlord - Double sunfury / laser blasters
Reaver - Volcano cannon / gatling / apoc launcher / extra armour
Reaver - Chainfist / powerfist / turbolaser
Reaver - Melta cannon / laser blaster / turbolaser

The new weapon options added a ton of new depth to the game compared to last time I played. The melta cannon in particular just deleted anything it hit; from killing both Cerastus in the first turn to landing double critical hits on an enemy Reaver's head. My opponent caught me off guard with a blind barrage stratagem and got a Reaver up close to my Warlord, only for his powerfist to punch my titan 3" straight backwards allowing it to shoot normally again! My own Reaver had a similar 'oops' moment as it chopped the leg off a Warhound, only for the scout titan to topple forward and inflict a fatal blow on the Reaver.

In summary, giant robots are both cool & good.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Are the campaign rules for Blood Bowl in the almanac? Was surprised to not have rules for league play in the box.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Yup, league rules are in the almanack.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm just starting out in Underworlds and I picked up Nightvault the other day and have enjoyed what I've played so far. I just managed to find a new copy of the now out of print Shadespire, but I understand there are different ways to go about picking up the contents. Should I crack it open and use it, or try and flip it for more than I paid and pick up the bits separate. Is there anything I'd lose by not just opening the box as is?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The most you're going to get on eBay is $50 shipped. Honestly, it's not worth selling if you're just going to buy all the stuff again. The rules are outdated but the miniatures, boards, and dice are usable.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

GW customer support are pretty good in my experience, though lately they've been moving away from sending full box replacements (I think too many people abused the system) - most likely they'll ask for pics of the damage and proof of purchase, and will send you a replacement board without asking for returns.

As a follow up to this, GW got back to me and as Wall of Martyrs is out of stock they offered me gift voucher to the price I paid instead. So now I have a damaged box, but it was effectively free. Thanks Gee Dubs! Their reputation for good customer service has been confirmed.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just FYI there is a Shadespire thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837620

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cheers. I searched but didn't see it as I think I was looking for underworlds

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is it Forge World or GW who are releasing the Legio Fureans transfers for Titanicus? Any estimate on when they'll be available?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

GreenMarine posted:

Is it Forge World or GW who are releasing the Legio Fureans transfers for Titanicus? Any estimate on when they'll be available?

Up for pre-order now: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Legio-Fureans-Transfer-Sheet-2019

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

British only? When I switch to USD, they don't show up and they get removed from my cart.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Played some Predator:Legendary Encounter today, but while I was around I asked my friend to take a picture of my Kill Team, the boring boys in blue:

The Intercessors were painted to the best of my ability, the reavers were drybrushed and painted quickly because hey, I can pick up a second easy to build kit for a complete kill team. Obviously I should drill the barrels, but thats a privilege reserved for winners (But they earned their nameplates by virtue of not being as godawful as my ork team).

Looks like i'll be getting a Titan bundle for my birthday, so my next project is going to be little big robots.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
those nameplates are sweet!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BloodRed posted:

those nameplates are sweet!

https://www.versatileterrain.co.uk/

They are pretty pricey if you're doing a lot of models (or models on big bases) but for a kill team of 6 models they were just about cheaper than the models themselves.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Holy moley, they have the font from the 2nd ed Ork codex.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Oh my

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those are some beautiful big boys

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MrFlibble posted:

https://www.versatileterrain.co.uk/

They are pretty pricey if you're doing a lot of models (or models on big bases) but for a kill team of 6 models they were just about cheaper than the models themselves.

My man!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
About the Fureans sheets, GW customer support says:

quote:

These transfer sheets are late arriving to the US warehouse from the UK, so once those arrive they will appear on the webstore for sale straight away. I don't have a specific ETA but we are expecting them anytime now so please keep an eye on the webstore!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Finished up our Necromunda campaign today. 3-way Gang Moot for the glory between our more enthusiastic players. My Orlocks, arbitrators Van Saar and an Escher gang.

Instagram post from our arbitrator here: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...S18JVRKc4q4Jnrw

In this mission your leaders start out fighting in the centre (representing a parley gone bad) and everyone else is oblivious until they hear gunfire within 12” and pass an intelligence check, or until they are directly attacked.

Essentially, the Escher leader went first and failed to charge the Van Saar leader due to his cyber-arachnid Fearsome skill. My leader was made of sterner stuff and absolutely shredded him with chainaxe attacks, before consolidating into the Escher leader. she did bring down my cyber mastiff with reaction attacks after he failed to wound her. Cyber mastiffs are a bit wank unfortunately. They can’t do much with 1 attack at S3, and with T3, 1W, no armour, they die easily as well. However my leader, enraged by the death of his pet, cut down the Escher as well. Both enemy leaders went to the doc, the Escher one actually died!

With that all accomplished in hand to hand combat, no one else in the battle was ready yet! We had all had the chance to move our oblivious fighters twice though, with close combat guys shimmying toward gunners and people chasing each other round a bit. So I moved my leader and shot at a Van Saar Champion. He saved, but fell off his walkway and took damage! This brought my entire gang and most of my enemies’ fighters into the fray, after a great round of intelligence checks.

The battle went all my way really, with my very experienced bunch of champions bringing down Van Saar lascannoners with hip shooting boltguns, vaporising Escher champs with demo charges and cutting down our enemies with power swords. We all bottled on the last turn, but most of my guys stuck around and were left in possession of the field.

As I said, that concludes the campaign, I was the victor by most metrics, final gang rating 4580 - time to start afresh I think!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crosspostin

Z the IVth posted:

Have some nice pink titans.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Finished up our Necromunda campaign today. 3-way Gang Moot for the glory between our more enthusiastic players. My Orlocks, arbitrators Van Saar and an Escher gang.

Instagram post from our arbitrator here: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...S18JVRKc4q4Jnrw

In this mission your leaders start out fighting in the centre (representing a parley gone bad) and everyone else is oblivious until they hear gunfire within 12” and pass an intelligence check, or until they are directly attacked.

Essentially, the Escher leader went first and failed to charge the Van Saar leader due to his cyber-arachnid Fearsome skill. My leader was made of sterner stuff and absolutely shredded him with chainaxe attacks, before consolidating into the Escher leader. she did bring down my cyber mastiff with reaction attacks after he failed to wound her. Cyber mastiffs are a bit wank unfortunately. They can’t do much with 1 attack at S3, and with T3, 1W, no armour, they die easily as well. However my leader, enraged by the death of his pet, cut down the Escher as well. Both enemy leaders went to the doc, the Escher one actually died!

With that all accomplished in hand to hand combat, no one else in the battle was ready yet! We had all had the chance to move our oblivious fighters twice though, with close combat guys shimmying toward gunners and people chasing each other round a bit. So I moved my leader and shot at a Van Saar Champion. He saved, but fell off his walkway and took damage! This brought my entire gang and most of my enemies’ fighters into the fray, after a great round of intelligence checks.

The battle went all my way really, with my very experienced bunch of champions bringing down Van Saar lascannoners with hip shooting boltguns, vaporising Escher champs with demo charges and cutting down our enemies with power swords. We all bottled on the last turn, but most of my guys stuck around and were left in possession of the field.

As I said, that concludes the campaign, I was the victor by most metrics, final gang rating 4580 - time to start afresh I think!

Super envious of your group. Sounds like a great campaign!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Z the IVth posted:

Crosspostin

Dang, these look great. I am also doing a white and pink scheme for my Titans, but I don't think I can top this. The marble look really works.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Awesome. We are a few weeks away from concluding our first “proper” Newmunda campaign. It’s been really good despite the glaring problems with the dominion campaign system.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Plavski posted:

Super envious of your group. Sounds like a great campaign!

Cheers! We had 3 super keen players (those of us playing in the finale, unsurprisingly) and some others who are all fun players, good modellers/painters etc but didn’t make it to as many games. Campaign went for about 8 weeks, and although that sounded short at the start, I think it’s plenty long enough given how pumped up gangs can get, and everything else people have going on in life, can’t play Necromunda for either a long session or two short ones every drat week indefinitely.

ineptmule posted:

Awesome. We are a few weeks away from concluding our first “proper” Newmunda campaign. It’s been really good despite the glaring problems with the dominion campaign system.

Is yours logged on any kind of social media? I remember you said the power disparity had gone off the rails, ours did too to a certain extent. There’s a few things I’d change, levelling off the power of territories, reining in certain bits of kits, and crucially reworking some of the mission rewards.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
We tried to keep reports going on Yaktribe but frankly the skewed power levels from almost Day 1 meant that at least half of our players never really got to care that much about the story.

Which is a shame as the guy who ran it came up with a fun narrative. “Mutie and the Beast.” The Mutie is a psyker who is on the loose downhive, protected by a hive monster that she’s befriended. They are hunted by a ruthless murder cyborg called Gaston, which violently terminates any and all it sees as impediments to its mission.

So the narrative scenarios so far have been interspersed into the campaign every few weeks. Murder Cyborg was first and was played by some of the weaker gangs, they killed Gaston after a crazy battle involving ludicrous shenanigans with his Displacer field. Once Gaston was dead, the Mutie came out of hiding a bit and she and the Beast destroyed some of the territories held by the most powerful gangs. The tougher gangs then worked together (ish) to hunt the beast down, meaning that the final stage of the campaign is upon us.

Some gangs will, through events in the next couple of weeks, end up on the Mutie’s side and defend her against the rest in the end of campaign showdown.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
So my Necromunda campaign finally started! It's four players as our prospective fifth doesn't have time right now. We've got Escher (me), Van Saar, Cawdor and Delaque.

I'm loving the game even though I lost both battles I played in. The one against Van Saar was close and I had a solid strat, but made dumb mistakes by getting greedy (like trying to shoot guys up instead of going for a coup de grace). Cawdor completely demolished me as I was the defender in a Sneak Attack, and even with some house rules to make it less broken, that one seems way slanted in favor of the attacker unless I'm missing some clever defenses. My opponent straight up ignored the sneaky aspect and Leeroy Jenkinsed me, and with my sentries scattered around the board it was over before reinforcements could make a difference. Next time I find myself in that situation I'm thinking of plopping all the sentries close together near the gang relic so they can react and pose an actual threat when the alarm is raised.

Next up I'm fighting our Delaque player. He has a very gimmicky build with very weak weapons, but lots of photo goggles, smoke grenades and photon flash, so as to shut down the opponent and put himself in "I can see you and you can't see me" situations. He smacked down Van Saar effortlessly, but I'm a bit less worried since my strength is in CC and high initiative anyway, so here's hoping I can eke out a win and bounce back!

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 11, 2019

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A couple of days ago I visited a town I used to live in and they still had the same copy of Dreadfleet in the window of a hobby shop. I wonder how many more years it'll be there...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember buying that because I thought it was the new Man O'War starter box.

:sigh:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They're cool models. Haven't played the game yet though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So reading the last few pages it seems like overall Newmunda the individual games themselves are pretty decent but the campaign system is kind of poop?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think the Dominion Campaign is supposed to be pretty good? Definitely an improvement over the original NM17 system anyway.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
It's fun as hell and makes for great stories but definitely not balanced, certainly less so than the actual game on the table, and it lacks structure. You absolutely need someone to be the arbitrator and houserule stuff both pre-campaign and on the fly. It will never be truly balanced because this kind of system can never be but RAW it is in fact kind of a mess.

I'm the arbitrator in my campaign and I've already had to write up a ton of tweaks (while still a player so it's harder to stay impartial) so it certainly takes some work. Worth it though, the fact that events have long-term consequences really does make moving little plastic dudes around so much more exciting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So reading the last few pages it seems like overall Newmunda the individual games themselves are pretty decent but the campaign system is kind of poop?

Well, the individual games are great, absolutely.

There are two campaign systems. 'Turf War' was originally published in Gang War 1. Gangs fight a series of games, and income is generated after each game by those Leaders and Champions who aren't injured/in recovery. That version hasn't been included in the current, all-in-one rulebook, the 'Dominion Campaign' that is, has become the default type.

Dominion campaigns work around controlling territories. The Arbitrator generates a bunch of them (randomly or by choosing) and players gain control of them during the initial rounds of games. Once all the territories have been claimed, games are fought as challenges, where the challenger is the attacking player, and takes a territory from the defender if he wins. The winners of various 'Triumphs' are handed out at the end, who fought the most battles, who won the most, had the strongest gang, the most wealth, most territories etc.

Obviously any conceivable metric could and should be tweaked by the Arbitrator. You could add extra ways of determining Triumphs, (our recent campaign tracked deaths of fighters during the campaign and how they were caused) or hand out different rewards of XP, gear or fresh fighters. But purely RAW from the book, there are a few issues with the campaign:

Controlling games played and staking territories: By the book, the initial games are straightforward, winner takes the territory, but after they are all claimed, whoever challenges get to try and wrest a territory from the player he is up against. This is obviously open to abuse, a big enough arsehole can just keep challenging people and avoid being challenged himself! I don't think anyone would be so blatantly a dick, it's just another way in which Necromunda is not designed for playing to win. However I would say more forthright or stronger-willed players will be a little more likely to end up playing for the territories they want. My group dealt with this by rolling-off for the part of 'challenger' - ie 2 of us would decide to have a game, roll off and the winner can be the one trying to seize territory. Another way would be for the Arbitrator to set games' stakes, either to maintain balance between players, or to ensure people are still risking or standing to gain territory over the course of the campaign. In any case, this has to be controlled. I was on a huge winning streak throughout our campaign and had far, far more territories than anyone else. After that was clearly the case I just let other people try to challenge me for territory, but an Arbitrator should watch these things.

That leads us to another issue (across both types of Necromunda campaigns, which also existed in Old Necro) - you need to keep an eye on the number of games played. If 3 players are playing multiple games every weekend, and 4 other players are playing once every 2-3 weeks, guess who will be the frontrunners in a campaign? Really difficult thing to enforce. Everyone has different free time and prioritises it differently. But if possible you need to get a group who are similarly committed. You can't make people play, but if players are drawing apart in total number of games, try restricting rewards or playing games that don't count for the campaign with the more active players.

The Territories themselves.
Balance is not a dirty word! Territories differ drastically in value. Some give income, and this is the bread and butter of a gang's ability to grow. Everyone starts with an un-loseable Settlement, which gives D6x10 income per game and the chance to recruit free fighters. Most territories don't give any bonus income, just a special ability ('Boon') in games, which again varies wildly. Some, however, give good income bonuses, better than the initial settlement. I think this is bananas and needs to be controlled. Flatten the strength of some of the tactical bonuses, level out the income, reducing the bonuses and spreading them onto more territories. Once you have a few of the juicy territories (ie by winning them in the initial games) you will be in a position to fight smaller gangs and gain about 4D6x10 income (plus any rewards for winning the mission, which you are obviously more likely to do) against an opponent who is probably earning D6x10, increasing your lead.

Mission Rewards. You roll off to pick mission, and I guess the smaller gang is very slightly more likely to be able to pick the scenario. But mostly it's random. The more common technique (in my limited experience) is just to agree a mission to play. The experience the actual scenarios give to fighters for taking part/accomplishing objectives, to Leaders for winning the game, and the cash they give to gangs for winning, are all over the place. I can't see that these rewards for playing & winning correlate to the risks of fighting out a scenario. Also, many scenarios with a more interesting aim than 'kill some guys' run up against the bottling mechanic. It's perfectly possibly to be in a winning position for a mission, then bottle it and run off. Random and fun, but maybe a little too much! Even worse, while some missions have prohibitions on Defenders or the 'disadvantaged' side just Bottling voluntarily to deny their opponents the chance to garner rewards/inflict damage/gain xp, this is inconsistent. And the Defender can still hope to Bottle out naturally, which will be better than staying to see his opponent reap the benefits.

This is getting a bit incoherent, but basically Missions need to be carefully looked at, and probably either handed out by Arbitrator fiat and/or have the rewards flattened out. Currently there's no incentive to play a lot of the missions, they may look interesting but the rewards for X or Y mission are higher.

Additionally, there are plenty of missions obviously designed for smaller gangs. This can be a balancing mechanism (if you can only bring 4 fighters, pick one of those, instead of playing Standoff against 10 enemy fighters) but seems like it would reward a system of Major Scenarios you can play with a territory at stake, or Minor Scenarios that are just for injuries/xp, maybe for limited income.

Overall, I'd say the mission set would work far better in a heavily arbitrated narrative campaign.

Limited Underdog System
Most missions hand out an extra tactics card for each 100 pts a gang is below its opponents' gang rating. This is a crap system. First of all, the tactics cards are wildly unbalanced. Some are terrific, many are marginal, a couple are toxic to the game. I played several games where my opponents had about 20 cards. While this did give them a few important edges, it was super clunky, they couldn't remember to use them all effectively, it wasn't particularly fun if they did stack loads of them up on one turn (as well as being a potential rules nightmare) and I'm not sure it really evened the match that much. I think Arbitrators need to control Gang Rating differences, limit the resources bigger gangs can bring to games against smaller ones, and/or offer bigger rewards of xp/reputation/income to smaller gangs which are facing bigger ones. Otherwise, just as with territories, gangs spiral up or down instead of competing in a fun way.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those are all great points and I don’t have much more to add. All I’d say is that Newmunda is absolutely worth playing because the on-table experience is excellent.

Community is discussing the campaign balance issues and several folk are working on their own suggestions to improve (me included) so there should be some interesting proposals coming out of the woodwork before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'll be honest even the individual games still do leave some to be desired. Blaze seems absolutely insane and unfun for someone who has to deal with a lot of it. I've played about ten games and I just don't like it as much as I wish I did. I love alternating activations, i love action types, I love the cover system. I am not huge on targeting a point with a template weapon so its an easy roll. I'm playing my Genestealer Cult and the familiar is pretty insane - pass a check and discount a hit on your boss (and you can take up to three of them).

My aberrants have only melee weapons and you have to charge into contact to fight, so they can be pretty easily kited around with pinning so they can't do anything. I wish they came with impetuous instead of unstoppable, lol