Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Solumin posted:

Does anyone know of a way to calculate how much time trains take?

Let's say I have an outpost factory that needs 300 coal/minute. I train some in, because trains. Ideally, the train would deliver just enough coal to last until the next delivery, whether that's in a minute (300 coal) or 5 minutes (1500 coal) or whatever.
But I don't know how to calculate how long it will take between trips. Are there any options besides just timing it manually?

Of course, the best solution might be to not do this at all, and instead the factory sends a supply train to the coal depot when it's running low.

You can use the circuit network to enable/disable the coal station. It's possible to build a timer circuit but probably a lot more effort than just triggering on "amount of coal in this chest is less than X"

Hamelekim posted:

The thing is, I want them to start coming once my base is built up. Then it gets fun for me. So I want a mod or setting where I can turn off peaceful mode while in game, rather than decide just at the start.

I am a software dev so maybe it's worth looking into doing it myself, if it is possible. Not sure what is involved in making a mod like that though.

There's an option to control how large the biter-free "safe zone" is around your initial base. Set that high enough and you probably won't have to deal with them until you expand outwards to get more ore and oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can use the circuit network to enable/disable the coal station. It's possible to build a timer circuit but probably a lot more effort than just triggering on "amount of coal in this chest is less than X"

There's an option to control how large the biter-free "safe zone" is around your initial base. Set that high enough and you probably won't have to deal with them until you expand outwards to get more ore and oil.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I will see if I can find that option and mess around with it. That would definitely solve my issues.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

I get a kick out of your pavement... eh, I'm going to wreck this planet with pollution, may as well just pave it over while I'm at it... crap, out of pavement, just leave it that way.

Won't lie, on multiple occasions I got the "pave the world" urge before giving up half way because it's too much work. In my 0.16 game I tried to set up bots to do it with concrete I was automating, but it ended up putting a lot of strain on my bot network. (and also seemed slower then I could do it myself.)

I think that base was a mixture of function (pavement between commonly travelled paths) and visual effect (path out of the base, areas around machines.)

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I wish there was a mod that gave you a CPU object with a simple scripting language you could use to write code to control your circuit networks. It could come in multiple tiers with increasing numbers of inputs and outputs (and maybe maximum lines of code as well). It would be great for dummies like me who know how to write code but don't have a strong enough foundation in electronics to make complicated setups out of low level components. If you ever played Gmod and remember WireMod, I basically want that. A man can dream.

Edit: Basically I want an Arduino in Factorio.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 7, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

Won't lie, on multiple occasions I got the "pave the world" urge before giving up half way because it's too much work. In my 0.16 game I tried to set up bots to do it with concrete I was automating, but it ended up putting a lot of strain on my bot network. (and also seemed slower then I could do it myself.)

I think that base was a mixture of function (pavement between commonly travelled paths) and visual effect (path out of the base, areas around machines.)

Sounds like you just didn't have enough robots.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

I only figured out halfway through that you could use more than one of each building to go faster

:allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I would personally want the SchenzenIO / TIS-100 style because writing code like that is a fun puzzle in itself.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I remember someone somewhere suggesting that they have two types of attacks. Full Assaults which are the attacks like now, and quick Resource Raid ones. Resource ones they rush an area to take supplies of some kind to return to a nest when successful spawns a bunch of heavier units.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I wish there was a mod that gave you a CPU object with a simple scripting language you could use to write code to control your circuit networks. It could come in multiple tiers with increasing numbers of inputs and outputs (and maybe maximum lines of code as well). It would be great for dummies like me who know how to write code but don't have a strong enough foundation in electronics to make complicated setups out of low level components. If you ever played Gmod and remember WireMod, I basically want that. A man can dream.

There was a project making a 4 bit general CPU in factorio a few years ago but I think it was abandoned as I've not seen anything of it in the last few years.

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone else hate playing with biters? I don't mind it once I am in mid-game, but I hate rushing and I love planning. Doing it quickly is never fun to me, just stressful. That and I don't have any starting blueprints to get up and running faster so that slows down my progress to fight biters.

Once per new version I play with biters on default to get a feel for any changes. After that it's all peaceful mode because I want to build poo poo in peace, not spend hours clearing bugs out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gifted my friend this game, he played for about 3 hours then discovered online blueprint strings. Our first multiplayer game was just him using a huge blueprint book with someone else's designs in. Felt fuckin' bad. I was so hype to see him discover stuff, and was gonna sit back and let him figure it out himself and only jump in if he was genuinely stuck or needed help.

Got bored of playing with him cause it was such a sterile environment, he'd even come over to things I was working on and just tell me to use a blueprint. It's like "but why, though? it saps all the creativity out of this game".

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's shortsighted. He's probably thinking the same about the way you play.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Hamelekim posted:

The thing is, I want them to start coming once my base is built up. Then it gets fun for me. So I want a mod or setting where I can turn off peaceful mode while in game, rather than decide just at the start.

I am a software dev so maybe it's worth looking into doing it myself, if it is possible. Not sure what is involved in making a mod like that though.

You can change peaceful mode with a console command:

/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = true

This will disable achievements, but if you're using mods that doesn't matter too much anyway. You can also control the expansion setting.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/alexsteacy/status/1103719593430855680?s=09

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

NFX posted:

^^ Or run it over, saves bullets and feels better.

I learned about this early after my first foray into tank-based biter slaughter. I zoomed back toward the box in which was stored my entire stockpile of shells, eager to refill and get back in the fight. Sadly, I misjudged the braking ability of the tank and destroyed it. Powerful lesson.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

Gifted my friend this game, he played for about 3 hours then discovered online blueprint strings. Our first multiplayer game was just him using a huge blueprint book with someone else's designs in. Felt fuckin' bad. I was so hype to see him discover stuff, and was gonna sit back and let him figure it out himself and only jump in if he was genuinely stuck or needed help.

Got bored of playing with him cause it was such a sterile environment, he'd even come over to things I was working on and just tell me to use a blueprint. It's like "but why, though? it saps all the creativity out of this game".

:sever:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

necrotic posted:

You can change peaceful mode with a console command:

/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = true

This will disable achievements, but if you're using mods that doesn't matter too much anyway. You can also control the expansion setting.

Yeah I did a peaceful game trying to get a bunch of the harder cheevo's, launch the rocket and :saddowns:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is that a 0.17 thing? Certain I got a bunch of achievements in 0.16 in peaceful

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

You can use the + and - keys on the number pad to increase and decrease the size of the concrete (or stone) patch you are laying down.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Certianly did not work for no solar, no laser turrets, no logistics. I didnt research techs for laser turrets and logistics, but you have to do solar to make a sattelite but I didnt place any on the ground for power.

But it did work for blue chip production which threw me off

Btw I wasn't running mods

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 7, 2019

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Qubee posted:

You can tell your friend for me that I support him. I’ve had the game for maybe a month and in 83 hours I just set up my first purple science farm today. I use a lot of blueprints because damned if I’m gonna spend a week trying to figure out how to build a mall that isn’t 5 square miles in size. For me, I really enjoy the routing and logistical challenges, as opposed to figuring out good factory layouts. I’m having a blast keeping everything fed, figuring out where to put things in relation to each other, figuring out more efficient methods of bitercide, and playing with trains. I’m having a blast. It’s ok that people play differently from each other.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lordshmee posted:

You can tell your friend for me that I support him. I’ve had the game for maybe a month and in 83 hours I just set up my first purple science farm today. I use a lot of blueprints because damned if I’m gonna spend a week trying to figure out how to build a mall that isn’t 5 square miles in size. For me, I really enjoy the routing and logistical challenges, as opposed to figuring out good factory layouts. I’m having a blast keeping everything fed, figuring out where to put things in relation to each other, figuring out more efficient methods of bitercide, and playing with trains. I’m having a blast. It’s ok that people play differently from each other.

When I use an internet blueprint (Shoutput to KathrineofSky and Nilaus) it feels like Im a plumber who got a toilet from the hardware store. Still gotta configure the plumbing that hooks into that premade pooper. It is still inputs and outputs. Unfortunately it never looks as good as it did in the store.

Off topic: I got back into KoS with 0.17 and her sandbox mode mall building series. She always reminded me of the sewing circle girls I knew from my ancestral homeland of rural Rockeys. I did not go into the Make Biters Great Again cuz I didnt need to be reminded of why I left the ancestral homeland.

Anybody watch that? I'm far too extremely online and her attitudes on biters from previous series kept using the same language rural folks use for "illegal immigrants".

Man, Ive never gotten that off my chest.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Willfrey posted:

Certianly did not work for no solar, no laser turrets, no logistics. I didnt research techs for laser turrets and logistics, but you have to do solar to make a sattelite but I didnt place any on the ground for power.

But it did work for blue chip production which threw me off

Btw I wasn't running mods

Peaceful mode disables any achievements related to biters. The solar one is placing a panel, not the research.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

KirbyKhan posted:

When I use an internet blueprint (Shoutput to KathrineofSky and Nilaus) it feels like Im a plumber who got a toilet from the hardware store. Still gotta configure the plumbing that hooks into that premade pooper. It is still inputs and outputs. Unfortunately it never looks as good as it did in the store.

Off topic: I got back into KoS with 0.17 and her sandbox mode mall building series. She always reminded me of the sewing circle girls I knew from my ancestral homeland of rural Rockeys. I did not go into the Make Biters Great Again cuz I didnt need to be reminded of why I left the ancestral homeland.

Anybody watch that? I'm far too extremely online and her attitudes on biters from previous series kept using the same language rural folks use for "illegal immigrants".

Man, Ive never gotten that off my chest.

The comments in the last couple episodes are borderline toxic. Lots of “The biters aren’t sending their best” and the like. It’s pretty gross.

Anyway, now that I’ve confessed my blueprint sins - have some pictures. The mall and science sections are prefabs, but this humble sulfuric acid / battery / explosive shell production area is all newb spaghetti:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Should I make a Satisfactory thread? I can write something up and post the thread once it is no longer under NDA.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Mr. Powers posted:

Should I make a Satisfactory thread? I can write something up and post the thread once it is no longer under NDA.

Yes. For reasons I am not yet at liberty to elaborate on I think that's a good idea.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxyclean posted:

Peaceful mode doesn't disable achievements (at least not most of them)
Using the lua console with /c does disable achievements. It can be used for simple stuff like toggling peaceful mode but also all sorts of other debug stuff like giving yourself infinite resources or spawning any item in the game.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mr. Powers posted:

NDA expires tomorrow according to the alpha key email I just got today :toot

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some newbie questions, since I'm sick and can't sleep...

1) Liquids -
How can I tell how much 'production' I need, and where does it come from? Is it based on the pump-jacks, or refineries/crackers?
What does the oil-field % mean, and does it run out, if so, how can I tell?
Can I push any volume through a pipeline, or does it have a limited capacity like a belt? Again, how can I tell if it's at capacity?
Related - what are the pumps for and when should I use them?

2) Tank -
How can I switch between the different weapons? Space seems to only fire the cannon. Tank is a lot more forgiving at clearing out biter nests than the car, while it takes a lot more hits due to lower speed, the huge health pool is nice.

I've completed all possible tech using only green/red/blue/grey... Onwards to purple!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 8, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

press tab while in the tank

you can also do this outside of the tank

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 8, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ok, I can't make a Satisfactory thread in a satisfactory timeframe. I will be leaving home shortly and won't be back until several hours after the NDA lifts. If one of the other people who strongly hinted that there might be an NDA holding back them posting such a thread would like to do so, it would be appreciated.

E: I will post one when I get home if one hasn't been.

carticket fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 8, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

How can I tell how much 'production' I need, and where does it come from? Is it based on the pump-jacks, or refineries/crackers?
There's website apps that will do the math for how much oil production you'll need for certain things, but that's more for large-scale operations.

My advice would be to just fill an oil field with pumps, set up ~5 refineries, and then build a bunch of oil tanks to store all the liquids. That will be plenty to get you through the mid-game, although you'll probably have to start cracking the red+yellow oil at some point. All of the things you mentioned can be potential bottlenecks, but you should just get started on an oil setup and then observe it to see if any particular section is slowing things down.

The Locator posted:

It's the amount of oil the field will produce, I have no idea how to mathematically convert it to a useful unit of measurement. They never completely run out, but the production slows down over time. You can mouse-over the oil fields or the individual pumps to check what the production level is currently at.

The Locator posted:

Can I push any volume through a pipeline, or does it have a limited capacity like a belt? Again, how can I tell if it's at capacity?

There's a limit but it's very high. The sign you're at max volume would be a feeder pipe that stays at 100 but runs dry in your production area. This isn't something you'd need to worry about until you've got a massive factory capable of firing a ton of rockets.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 8, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Isn't oil field 'richness' just a sum of the individual deposits' production modifiers? So a 2000% field will have the equivalent of 20x 100% deposits (might be 10x 200% or 25x 80% or whatever) meaning if it's full of pump jacks you will get 20x pump jacks worth of production.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Locator posted:

1) Liquids -
Related - what are the pumps for and when should I use them?

Oil doesn't work like ores; oil wells never run out but they decrease in how much they produce over time to a minimum of 1 unit/second. the % shows how much oil you're getting out of there per second; 100% is 10/s. The total shown on the map is just the sum of all the wells available, so how much oil you'd get per second if you tapped it all.

Once it's out of the ground you can calculate your production rates just the same as solid items, the numbers are just bigger. The refinery uses 100 oil per 5 seconds for oil processing (advanced processing also uses 50 water).
The transport of oil through pipes is very complicated and I'm not sure there's any simple mechanism for calculating it - on top of that, the system is being revamped for performance. Problems only really come up over large distances so it's safe to say a single pipe within a reasonably small area can carry all the liquid you need. Once you're at a big enough distance to consider a fluid train, use that instead.

The actual pipe rework isn't in yet and will probably come in the near future in an update. That will make longer-distance pipes much more viable as stretches of straight pipe are treated as a single container.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the coming changes make longer pipes more viable. The flow mechanics are changing but long pipelines will still need pumps at regular intervals to keep max flow.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Oxyclean posted:

Wasn't there a mod that had Roboports automatically place concrete in their aura? So that your concrete slowly grow over time without totally draining your bots network.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hmm, I'm thinking I'm going to have to turn up the default biter base expansion rate for my next game. The waves are relentless if you leave bases alive in your pollution cloud, which is nice, but I only really have to clear that cloud out about once an hour or so. A couple of my southern outposts haven't even been attacked once in multiple hours despite being within spitting distance of a massive base because the cloud juuuust doesn't quite reach and the base has never expanded into it. What's the point of my fancy oil pumping outpost completely ringed off with flamethrowers if there are no bugs to suicide into the BBQ?

Anyway, 0.17 is real good so far. My base was oriented such that the most convenient expansions were south of a relatively large lake, so I had a five-train rail network setup bringing in product before I even got to blue science. Blue and Black vials feel way easier in this version; walls and solid fuel are hilariously easier to produce at scale than turrets or electric mining drills early game. Haven't gotten to gold or purple yet but the recipes look more complicated on paper, so presumably that balances it all out.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

robziel posted:

Wasn't there a mod that had Roboports automatically place concrete in their aura? So that your concrete slowly grow over time without totally draining your bots network.

I think 0.17 also made concrete a lower priority for bots, so you can keep up with regular operations and concrete fills in slowly.

I could also be making this up, I don't remember which FFF I think I read it in .

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for all the information on the liquids. My first oilfield is pretty small - 4 pumpjacks and 800'ish percent, so I'll just spend some time playing with it given all the information you guys have shared, and see what I can figure out.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

Thanks for all the information on the liquids. My first oilfield is pretty small - 4 pumpjacks and 800'ish percent, so I'll just spend some time playing with it given all the information you guys have shared, and see what I can figure out.

My tip would be: make advanced oil your first blue science (lay out pipes and cracking plant in advance) and google the golden ratios for a 10 refinery setup. Working it out yourself will make your temples throb but build your own, don't go straight to a BP (unless you know, that's your thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's also no real downside to stockpiling as much crude as possible, since you can refine it whenever. Slap some storage tanks down and run your crude line through it, so that even when your refineries aren't actively pulling oil you're building up a buffer. Hell if your pump jacks are churning out more than your refineries need you can even divert the crude into flamethrower turrets for easy base defense.