Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
imagine how much better the world would be if sequels were illegal and wearing merchandise from a show or movie was punishable by death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

imagine how much better the world would be if sequels were illegal and wearing merchandise from a show or movie was punishable by death

Sir, this is a Wendy's Drive Thru

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Iron Crowned posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's Drive Thru

I want cheeseburgers with my revolution

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want cheeseburgers with my revolution

Baked potato would be a better weapon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Baked potato would be a better weapon.

YOu really want the splash damage of some chili

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I seek the seize the means of spicy chicken sandwich production

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Crazy Rich Asians was funny. Unless you didn't watch it because you're RACIST

How much did GB2016 make? Was it profitable? Because they're not gonna make a sequel to a movie that bombed, you can't cry sexism

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

How much did GB2016 make? Was it profitable? Because they're not gonna make a sequel to a movie that bombed, you can't cry sexism

It bombed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

Domestically it made slightly more than the 2016 Tarzan movie that absolutely everyone forgot existed but quite a lot more than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, which isn't much to brag about. On the worldwide stage it made less than Assassin's Creed but slightly more than The Davinci Code 3 (which everyone has also forgotten about). So it wasn't the absolute worst financial disaster of 2016 but it sure didn't do well.

If you adjust for inflation it made less than a quarter of what the original made, domestically.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You'd just have it like video games where everything is a thinly veiled knockoff of the IP the producers really want to use, over and over and over.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

I watched the half of it but then turned it off because I realized I just wanted Constance Wu to guillotine every single other character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians but everything about it sounds like a cry for help.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wasn't expecting much and it had a slow start, but there are some great characters in there and I love Awkwafina so much

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ehud posted:

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

:hmmyes:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ghostbusters-finn-wolfhard-carrie-coon-stranger-things-1203153292/

quote:

Finn Wolfhard and Carrie Coon are in talks to star in Sony’s latest installment in the “Ghostbusters” franchise, sources tell Variety

Jason Reitman is directing the pic and has also co-written a screenplay with Gil Kenan. He plans to shoot the film this summer, with Sony planning to release the latest sequel in summer 2020.

The studio would not comment on plot details, but sources say the story will focus on a single mom and her family, with Coon playing the mom and Wolfhard playing her son. It’s currently unknown how that will connect to the new Ghostbusters team.

The film has been a huge priority for the studio, as it has been secretly developing it for some time using the code word “Rust City.” When Reitman was announced as director in January, a teaser trailer and release date were ready the next day.

There were rumblings that Reitman may have been weary about using anyone from the “Stranger Things” cast, given some of the similarities between the two properties, but both he and the executives were blown away by Wolfhard’s audition.

Wolfhard recently wrapped Season 3 of “Stranger Things,” which premieres on Netflix this July, and is also expected to reprise his role in “It: Chapter 2” this fall. He also has “The Goldfinch” and “The Turning” at Amblin. He is repped by CAA, Velocity Entertainment Partners and Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.

Coon continues to stay busy on both the big and little screen with “Widows” and “The Sinner” earning her critical acclaim this fall. She was also recently seen in “Avengers: Infinity War.” She is repped by UTA, Foundation Talent Management and Peikoff Mahan.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I approve of those castings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I am fed up of Finn Wolfhard, and barely tolerate him in Stranger Things. If they wanted to use one of them, have Gaten Matarazzo (who is apparently super nice) Or even Caleb McLaughlin as Winston’s kid.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Carrie Coon is fuckin’ dope.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reitman just redoes maybe his worst movie, Labor Day (although, gently caress, he also did Men, Women, and Children and that was loving awful), except with four guys in the house instead of one Brolin.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fart City posted:

Carrie Coon is fuckin’ dope.

Yeah, this.

I'll watch anything with her in it. Hey, everyone... Go watch The Leftovers!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Any of you guys have local Ghostbuster groups like we do in the Detroit area? I was thinking about joining because they do some good charity work, but a decent suit and proton pack would probably get pretty expensive.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Huh I didn't know Detroit had a ghost problem

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Marriage Night posted:

Any of you guys have local Ghostbuster groups like we do in the Detroit area? I was thinking about joining because they do some good charity work, but a decent suit and proton pack would probably get pretty expensive.

I know of the Louisiana Ghostbusters who do parades and lots of charity work around southern Louisiana. A suit is fairly cheap, it’s just a flightsuit you can pick up for ~$30-40. Belt, pads, nametag, hose, belt gadgets if you want them, etc make it add up a little more.

A pack can be made cheaply if you want to put all the work in yourself, but they can start to run pricey if you do the shell, parts, lights and sound route.

There’s a store on GBFans with some decently priced parts for everything, although if you shop around you could probably get things a little cheaper.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Look at this nerd who wants to be a Ghostbuster without getting three mortgages on their home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Look at this nerd who wants to be a Ghostbuster without getting three mortgages on their home.

The interest rate alone comes to almost 95 thousand dollars!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ernie Hudson’s back! :toot:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:woop:

Wouldn't be the same without him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We don’t need anyone else honestly.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Ernie_Hudson/status/1103398828172951552?s=19

:f5h::ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Goddamit Reitman, get on it. <:mad:>

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Goddamit Reitman, get on it. <:mad:>

Reprising the character would mean a direct sequel, and Murray, Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman would all need to sign off on that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
“This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”-Jason Reitman in Entertainment Weekly

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Timby posted:

Reprising the character would mean a direct sequel, and Murray, Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman would all need to sign off on that.

Reitman probably already has, Aykroyd's likely though what Murray'll do is anyone's guess again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can’t understand that level of potential flakiness where people are basically unsure if he’ll turn up to set on the first day of shooting.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CelticPredator posted:

We don’t need anyone else honestly.

Zedmore as the old recluse who just wants to retire peacefully, but becomes a mentor to a new team of young ghostbusters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t understand that level of potential flakiness where people are basically unsure if he’ll turn up to set on the first day of shooting.

He's spent multiple decades crafting and maintaining the image that allows him to behave that way. He's been incredibly successful at it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I really want a scene or a line that acknowledges that they had more adventures after GB2.

Something like... "This is worse than the spectral schnauzer at Westminster Dog Show back in 97."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

I really want a scene or a line that acknowledges that they had more adventures after GB2.

Something like... "This is worse than the spectral schnauzer at Westminster Dog Show back in 97."

Yeah, if we get even one scene where the guys (Ernie, Dan, Bill, or even just one of them) wax nostalgic for previous adventures in the 90s, I'll be super happy.

I wonder how they'll talk about Egon, and if they'll mention the stuff that happened during the game. Obviously, I'm referring to the 3% that wasn't a rehash of the first two movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

"You wouldn't believe the things we saw. Me, Pete, Ray; we saw things they haven't made words for yet."

"What about Dr. Spengler? What about Egon?"

"Ha. Waiting for a postcard, kid."

"You can't be serious?"

"Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is my mailman's name is Earl, he's a Taurus, and if he kick's it I'm in charge of his kid."

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Basebf555 posted:

He's spent multiple decades crafting and maintaining the image that allows him to behave that way. He's been incredibly successful at it.

Except for that time he thought the Coen brothers were doing the Garfield movie and he signed on as a voice actor because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kemper Boyd posted:

Except for that time he thought the Coen brothers were doing the Garfield movie and he signed on as a voice actor because of that.

He was kidding.