Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Heavy Metal posted:

Love On Cinema, easily the #1 place to get movie buff quality expertise. The Doom movie is a popcorn classic.

I give Doom 666 bags of popcorn buttered with the blood of demons

EDIT:

Did anybody play Doom on the switch? If so, how on earth was it? Asking out of morbid curiosity for a friend....

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Sockser posted:

The answer is an obvious yes, but it’s not in the game, so they definitely didn’t talk about it

i just like the thought of someone having to do a presentation on the pros and cons of putting weeners on demons in a video game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Something I want in doom2 is some coop content where it’s balanced around requiring two people to go through it. Not sure if they can tune the difficulty properly to do that though. After all the doom marine is already op as gently caress. Maybe they could make the enemies faster especially the barons of hell and hell knights, idk.

Hell I’d settle for just the single player game but double monster spawns.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GyverMac posted:

I give Doom 666 bags of popcorn buttered with the blood of demons

EDIT:

Did anybody play Doom on the switch? If so, how on earth was it? Asking out of morbid curiosity for a friend....

It plays at a cut down resolution from the screen's native res most of the time, has reduced textures and model detail, but maintains a decent framerate and the gameplay's about the same as on the real consoles.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Something I want in doom2 is some coop content where it’s balanced around requiring two people to go through it. Not sure if they can tune the difficulty properly to do that though. After all the doom marine is already op as gently caress. Maybe they could make the enemies faster especially the barons of hell and hell knights, idk.

10x

:mrgw:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

GyverMac posted:

The best part is you can take it with you. So you can play Doom in a car, or in a box, or with a fox, and so on.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

There's only one Doom Slayer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Uhhh https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Memento_Mori ???

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Donovan Trip posted:

There's only one Doom Slayer

There's his cousin, the Mood Slayer who attends demon parties and complains about the music selection and how there's no decent drinks.

Sip and jeer, until it is done.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GyverMac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ycX6RxW7Go

tldr it's ok. The resolution is still sub 720p and below 30fps 90% of the time (docked or undocked), but it's portable so

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

There's his cousin, the Mood Slayer who attends demon parties and complains about the music selection and how there's no decent drinks.

Sip and jeer, until it is done.

He's not trapped at the party with demons, the demons are trapped at the party with him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

tldr it's ok. The resolution is still sub 720p and below 30fps 90% of the time (docked or undocked), but it's portable so

Better than it runs on my PC, with the one that has an actual graphics card in it stuggling to hit 5 fps for reasons that elude me.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Barudak posted:

Better than it runs on my PC, with the one that has an actual graphics card in it stuggling to hit 5 fps for reasons that elude me.

You switch to Vulkan from the default?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

You switch to Vulkan from the default?

I dont remember what all I did with it and that PC now lives in a shame bin somewhere so hard to check. The other one isnt a gaming computer so I dont begrudge it getting sub 10 FPS, frequent crashes, and other fun things. It is, however, why I play on consoles

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They also fairly recently added the option to use gyro controls if that's your bag.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bINjL5FiY4

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well maybe the first shotgun, that thing gets pretty outclassed he second you get the super shotgun.

Also The New Colossus was worth it just for the soundtrack :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnLYhjGxHQ

You linked the wrong song bud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvAS2DsEDuQ

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Trailer for the new Doom movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinN__0fBj0

This actually looks worse than what i expected

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm gonna watch the hell out of that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

omg chael crash posted:

Trailer for the new Doom movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinN__0fBj0

This actually looks worse than what i expected

Right now that has 200 thumbs up and nearly 3000 thumbs down

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
No Hellwalker, No Sale

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

"WANTED: DOOMSLAYERS"

if you guys wanted the Slayer so much why isn't he in your moopie?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
We wanted Doomslayers.

We got the CS:GO team final runners up.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Well I heard a chainsaw rev so that's something to look forward to.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

"Your mission: Don't Die"

This is just fundamentally ignoring what is great about Doom. Your mission is to kill all the demons and destroy hell itself if you can. Your death doesn't even warrant consideration.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I blinked and the trailer was over

There's nothing there to sink our teeth into

They really need to stop slapping brand names on movies that have nothing to do with them

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the imp looked cool I guess. other than that this is basically indistinguishable from a 1990s direct to video right down to the "this isn't a game any more" "game... over" "no 1-ups in THIS poo poo" marketing

edit: oh it is in fact direct to video lmao. I didn't even know they made those anymore, aren't they all calling them direct-to-stream or whatever now?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 11, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Can someone edit The Doom Slayer watching that trailer on a console and then ripping it off and throwing it

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lmao at expecting a doom movie to actually end up being good

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah that was about as good as I expected it to be.

As in not at all.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It turns out the real hell was the fiends we met along the way

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Soricidus posted:

It turns out the real hell was the fiends we met along the way

I can't work out if this is a fortuitous typo or a deliberate joke.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
"Hey guys let's make a Doom movie without the Doom Guy or the Doomslayer!"

- an idiot

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the problem is the market execs are trying to market it to every dumb jock that like the fast and furious/transformers garbage and use the doom name to draw in fans of the game/genre. could an action movie in this day and age even work with a silent, faceless protagonist?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the problem is the market execs are trying to market it to every dumb jock that like the fast and furious/transformers garbage and use the doom name to draw in fans of the game/genre. could an action movie in this day and age even work with a silent, faceless protagonist?

Visual and Environmental Storytelling

Or adapt the DOOM comic

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hardcore Henry style, where the other characters act around/in front of the Slayer in between setpieces of pure adrenaline pumping rip & tear action

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I love the Fast and Furious movies and I think this looks bad.

Also, lol @ railing against "dumb jocks" on the internet in 2019 TYOOL

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Fast and Furious movies are some of the most well done, and dare I say cleverly done action movies around. I thought they looked bad too, not sure if you've dived into the oeuvre, but I watched the first four before Fast Five hit, and was quite impressed. I'd compare them favorably to the Marvel cinematic universe. They're ridiculous, but in a good way.

Now Transformers movies, a bit tougher to defend (other than the 1986 masterpiece), but I do find the third one is so ridiculous it's memorable. And in general Shia delivers the goods. Also Bumblebee was good.

This film here looks more like your usual generic made for SyFy kind of movie. Also I don't think Doomguy would need to be silent in a good Doom movie, and he's not faceless in the 90s games. Maybe since he'd be alone for a lot of it he'd effectively not talk at times, like Ripley at the end of Alien, but I'd be fine with him talking a bit. Ditto for Gordon Freeman if they made a Half-Life movie.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's a strange comparison but I say that the Fast and Furious movies did what the Resident Evil movies should have done. Start out low key and small, but build up the ridiculousness and action until you get a goddamn superhero movie. Which is exactly the next movie is going to be. I love them.

EDIT: And the new Doom movie is going to be just SyFy channel straight to VoD crap.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't tell if this is in "so bad it's good" territory or just plain "it's poo poo" territory. I guess I hoped for more betterer stuff since the recent games have shown that folks actually understand the franchise. This looks like it should be on the WB and feature Alyssa Milano or some poo poo.