Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Since the death of Karl Lagerfeld they've written a slew of articles about him, most of them with quotes from the man himself. When I read some of them I inevitably wonder why he was worshipped in the first place. He sounds like a total rear end in a top hat, and the fashion industry in general comes across as incredibly toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Compulsory dungarees for everyone comrade, then no one will complain about pockets, we will all have as many pockets as the state decrees we need.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

Compulsory dungarees for everyone comrade, then no one will complain about pockets, we will all have as many pockets as the state decrees we need.

In my pocket filled utopia, everyone is naked with pockets sown into their flesh. It solves the no pockets in clothes problems once and for all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I’m fabulously wealthy, I’m going to have pockets sown into every garment I own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

Since the death of Karl Lagerfeld they've written a slew of articles about him, most of them with quotes from the man himself. When I read some of them I inevitably wonder why he was worshipped in the first place. He sounds like a total rear end in a top hat, and the fashion industry in general comes across as incredibly toxic.

Any links from those?

The funny thing about capitalism is that an industry used to telling people what they want and selling it to them will easily begin believing its own lies and be completely confounded by and usually outright dismissive of consumers all saying they actually want something different that serves their real needs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Phlegmish posted:

the fashion industry in general comes across as incredibly toxic.

That's because it is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pretty much every industry has toxic elements cause it's capitalism itself that is toxic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's toxic elements and then there's the entire edifice being constructed out of arsenic.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVqgqzTUBxY&t=400s

at about 6:46 he asserts that Facebook is "a flawless object" and that he "got one as a gift in gold, in white gold"

when will the bidding begin on Karl Lagerfeld's white gold Facebook

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm looking at the little screenshot and I don't think I can bring myself to listen to him talk. He's like an uncanny valley mummy in a way that doesn't quite make sense. It's like he both had cosmetic surgery to prevent aging and also didn't.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I'm looking at the little screenshot and I don't think I can bring myself to listen to him talk. He's like an uncanny valley mummy in a way that doesn't quite make sense. It's like he both had cosmetic surgery to prevent aging and also didn't.

I get you; he reminds me there of the WGN pirating incident back in the 80s (I think)

in both instances it’s probably because you can’t see their eyes at all behind those black lenses

SatansOnion has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Mar 6, 2019

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

jobson groeth posted:

In my pocket filled utopia, everyone is naked with pockets sown into their flesh. It solves the no pockets in clothes problems once and for all.

its kangaroos

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SatansOnion posted:

in both instances it’s probably because you can’t see their eyes at all behind those black lenses

he’s got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll’s eyes. When he comes after ya, he doesn’t seem to be livin’ until he bites ya

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is born with a natural pocket. Oh, you want to bum a smoke, sure let me just...be just a minute...need to root around a bit, ah, here it is. Don't want the cig anymore? Rude.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pastry of the Year posted:

at about 6:46 he asserts that Facebook is "a flawless object" and that he "got one as a gift in gold, in white gold"

He's just old manning it up. His "Facebook" is his iPad (which of course he would never buy and never use, but had white gold ones given to him :rolleyes: ), which is how some olds call a computer an email machine, or any game console a Nintendo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Langerfeld owned 70 iPods, an item you only need one of that will never be worth more than it was the day you purchased it. Trying to make sense of Langerfeld is pointless.

Also he's in that category of people I thought died years ago, but I am surprised to find out are/were still living. Like Dabney Coleman.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Everyone is born with a natural pocket. Oh, you want to bum a smoke, sure let me just...be just a minute...need to root around a bit, ah, here it is. Don't want the cig anymore? Rude.

Hey bud, can I bum a square from your derriere?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Any links from those?

The one I specifically remember is actually nothing but quotes, but it's in Dutch:

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20190219_04186673

Highlights include saying (in the context of #metoo) that models who don't want to deal with inappropriate touching should have become nuns instead. He wasn't just a weird plastic mummy-looking guy, he was a dick as well.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

There was also the time he said Coco Chanel wasn't a feminist because she wasn't ugly enough.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Why is he represented by a clay stop motion animation figure?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife gets her pocketed pants and shirts at REI and Eddie Bauer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In a time when e-cigarette usage by teens is becoming a major health problem, a company replaced the real mandated warnings with ads and quips in the same location and font.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

The one I specifically remember is actually nothing but quotes, but it's in Dutch:

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20190219_04186673

Highlights include saying (in the context of #metoo) that models who don't want to deal with inappropriate touching should have become nuns instead. He wasn't just a weird plastic mummy-looking guy, he was a dick as well.

We regret to inform you that nuns have also been victimised.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

In a time when e-cigarette usage by teens is becoming a major health problem, a company replaced the real mandated warnings with ads and quips in the same location and font.

That’s a bit misleading. They didn’t replace the real mandated warnings with anything; they ran quips in a location where warnings eventually became mandated.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration currently requires a prominent warning about the dangers of nicotine for e-cigarettes. But just before that mandate, a 2017 campaign by e-cigarette maker blu included fake warnings in precisely the place the real warnings would eventually appear.”

Failure to anticipate the incoming moral panic might have been dumb, but they didn’t remove mandated warnings and replace them with ad copy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phanatic posted:

That’s a bit misleading. They didn’t replace the real mandated warnings with anything; they ran quips in a location where warnings eventually became mandated.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration currently requires a prominent warning about the dangers of nicotine for e-cigarettes. But just before that mandate, a 2017 campaign by e-cigarette maker blu included fake warnings in precisely the place the real warnings would eventually appear.”

Failure to anticipate the incoming moral panic might have been dumb, but they didn’t remove mandated warnings and replace them with ad copy.

There's no way their marketing department hadn't heard rumblings of the change and did that as a way to get ahead of it

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Great timing for Sony

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/06/sonys-bet-on-michael-jacksons-music-threatened-by-documentary.html

quote:

Last year, Sony Music Entertainment entered a deal with Michael Jackson's estate for the rights to distribute the musician's recordings over the course of seven years. Now, in the wake of HBO's explosive documentary "Leaving Neverland," that investment could take a hit.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Sony paid $250 million for Jackson's music, allowing it to reap royalties from music streaming services and radio stations that play songs from the "Thriller" singer's catalog.
While figures from Spotify and Apple Music concerning Jackson's music in the wake of HBO's documentary won't be available until next week, in the past, the number of streams has increased for artists in the public spotlight, regardless of whether the news is good or bad

n January, after Lifetime aired its "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary series, the R&B singer's songs generated more than 4 million on-demand streams in the U.S., according to Billboard. This was a 116 percent increase in the number of streams that R. Kelly's songs had pulled in the days before the series aired.
"Leaving Neverland" aired on HBO in two parts on Sunday and Monday. The documentary detailed the accounts of two men who say Jackson abused them when they were children.

While online streams could get a bump, major radio networks could pull Jackson's songs from the air for the time being until listener sentiment about Jackson improves. So far, several radio stations in Canada and New Zealand have decided not to play Jackson's music unless it is part of a news story. In both cases, the networks that owned the stations cited a change in public opinion about Jackson for the removal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:yikes:

I am very confused, but I think I prefer that to the alternative.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
LaCroix CEO says running company is like “caring for someone who becomes handicapped”

The full text of the press release is so bizarre that it kind of tempers the insensitivity of that statement -- it's like "oh, okay, he's just insane." I had no idea the CEO of LaCroix (or its parent company, whatever) was prone to Dr. Bronner-esque rants.

quote:

“We are truly sorry for these results stated above. Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reasons – much of this was the result of injustice! Managing a brand is not so different from caring for someone who becomes handicapped. Brands do not see or hear, so they are at the mercy of their owners or care providers who must preserve the dignity and special character that the brand exemplifies. It is important that LaCroix’s true character is not devalued intentionally − in any way. National Beverage Corp. is and will remain the preeminent innovator that adds zest and authenticity to the ‘sparkling water’ phenomenon in North America,” stated Nick A. Caporella, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

“Additionally, gross margins were impacted by volume declines. Comparisons were further skewed by the adoption of the new tax act in the third quarter of the prior year, which included credits and rate reduction adjustments aggregating $11.3 million. Nothing herein mentioned has detracted from the ultimate value and future of our dynamic company.

There is no greater passion than the kind that creates the wonderful refreshment and contentment described as unique! No doubt, the sound and personality of the word LaCroix, coupled with the awesome experience of its essence and taste . . . is unique. One can be induced to purchase by cheapening price or giving away a product, but falling in love with a feeling of joy is the result of contentment. Just ask any LaCroix consumer . . . Would you trade away that LaLa feeling? ‘No way, they shout – We just love our LaCroix!’ I am positive they respond this way each and every time,” Caporella concluded.

Innovation should be new – but ours has the ‘essence’ to refresh and captivate with
FIZZ + Fun

“Patriotism” – If Only We Could Bottle It!

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Mar 8, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That man is on coke.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

jojoinnit posted:

That man is on coke.

Him of all people...

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oh great

agh

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Report them for posting material meant to encourage the sexualization of children.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Good lord this is the most :yikes: page in quite some time

"The Arby's Waifu Is Ready": a phrase that will live in infamy

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Arby's "one of those fire emblems that look 12 but are actually thousand year old dragons," AP confirms.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to see Arby's double down. To admit to wanting to do a low effort, cute thing without having to think much about it.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I want to see Arby's double down.

Nah, you're thinking of KFC.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

RandomPauI posted:

I want to see Arby's double down. To admit to wanting to do a low effort, cute thing without having to think much about it.

the first double down was bad enough already (edit: oh god drat it)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Huey Lewis & The News - It's Hip to gently caress Brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FutonForensic posted:

Huey Lewis & The News - It's Hip to gently caress Brands

Is he himself a brand?