Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha, in the middle of the recap movie going over the lore and games, it straight up went "AND THAT WAS THE EVENTS OF THE FIRST GAME oh right sometime between these games 2 happened MOVING RIGHT ALONG TO 4"

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

While funny as hell and the treatment 2 deserves, it kills any chance of Lucia being in the game. Pity.
I'm sure I'm going to love our freshman emo poet by the end of the game (and what I've seen in the trailers I like), but I wish she was in his playable character slot.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I really need to get better at using my gun as Nero, but the button is a bit out of the way. Maybe I should slap my gun button to R2 and move my melee to Square? I feel like I'm gonna get a hand cramp with the default layout trying to make sure to use all the abilities at my disposal.

Also, I'm not nearly as terrible as I feared! I haven't played a Devil May Cry in a couple years and I'm not particularly great at character action games so it was nice getting an early fight in mission 2.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The dynamic music owns but I still have a lot to learn, staying at B-A most of the time the music still doesn’t quite get there :negative:

Gonna watch some Nero guides on YouTube

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Are Vital Stars completely removed? If so, good. Nobody used them anyway. :colbert:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Omobono posted:

While funny as hell and the treatment 2 deserves, it kills any chance of Lucia being in the game. Pity.
I'm sure I'm going to love our freshman emo poet by the end of the game (and what I've seen in the trailers I like), but I wish she was in his playable character slot.

She is in the prequel novel when Dante gets Balrog so Capcom hasn't completely forgotten about her if it's any consolation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game has come and so have I.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
V owns holy poo poo. I am all about this style.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't believe that I'm finally able to play Devil May Cry 5.

This is the greatest day in human history.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nico has the absolute most insane and goofy accent I’ve ever heard in a video game.

This game rules so far and does NOT promote smoking.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Has anyone gotten this to work with a ps4 controller on pc? I have all my steam big picture settings set to ds4, but the button prompts in game still tell me I'm using a bone controller. I pretty much never play games needing a controller on pc, so I'm completely stumped.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

:siren: MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR FINAL BOSS!! :siren:

Looks like Ninja Theory really did have an influence on this game's aesthetic :j:

https://i.imgur.com/uMk8TQN.jpg

I wish he’d throw it off with a “Not in a million years.”

Brick Shipment posted:

Has anyone gotten this to work with a ps4 controller on pc? I have all my steam big picture settings set to ds4, but the button prompts in game still tell me I'm using a bone controller. I pretty much never play games needing a controller on pc, so I'm completely stumped.

Steam’s controller input works by emulating a bone controller and translating all of your controller inputs into it. It’s basically fooling the game into thinking you have a Bone controller.

Try plugging it in without Steam’s guidance going. But if you can tell what button is which between the two controllers, there’s really no need, all that will change are the prompts.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Try plugging it in without Steam’s guidance going. But if you can tell what button is which between the two controllers, there’s really no need, all that will change are the prompts.

The prompts are the problem in particular. Especially 'x'. Does my head in.

I haven't ever needed to launch a steam game without steam open before, to the point that I'm not if that's even possible, but I'll give it a try.

edit: yeah, its not. Can you elaborate on 'without steam's guidance?'

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Brick Shipment posted:

The button prompts will never change.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Brick Shipment posted:

The prompts are the problem in particular. Especially 'x'. Does my head in.

I haven't ever needed to launch a steam game without steam open before, to the point that I'm not if that's even possible, but I'll give it a try.

edit: yeah, its not. Can you elaborate on 'without steam's guidance?'

Sorry, I’m used to PC stuff so I’m using terminology that may not make sense to someone out of the sphere. Erase your settings for the DualShock 4 in Big Picture Mode, essentially.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Really surprised how fun V is to learn. Really a good implementation of a summoner in a skill-focused game. The only thing that's really annoying me is the targeting system. I'm not sure why they made target selection more or less completely non-functional, but uhh... thanks?

Also, I know every veteran knows this, but for anyone starting off with this game : the default controls on a controller are some absolutely abhorrent poo poo that expects you to use a disgusting claw grip and destroy your hand. Put melee on the button above jump and your ranged attacks on a shoulder button and you'll have a much better time.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
For moves that are back/forward+lock-on with V, is it relative to V’s position or relative to the familiar?

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

RBX posted:

The button prompts will never change.

Well that's super dumb.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Nico owns, V owns, DMC5 owns.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone teach me Nero's revving in more detail? I'm not quite sure what the timing is. I bought the skill that lets me get a full charge after an attack and it's strict, but I can't even tell if I'm close to the timing or not. Do I need to press it during swing startup, on contact, on recovery, maybe it's based on different moves? Any tips?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You need to rev after the hit has connected but beyond that I'm not sure how strict the window is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God drat V is so fun! I had no idea this kind of system would even work in a game like this.

Artelier posted:

Can someone teach me Nero's revving in more detail? I'm not quite sure what the timing is. I bought the skill that lets me get a full charge after an attack and it's strict, but I can't even tell if I'm close to the timing or not. Do I need to press it during swing startup, on contact, on recovery, maybe it's based on different moves? Any tips?

I’ve been consistently doing it right after the attack connects and it seems to work consistently.

K8.0 posted:

Really surprised how fun V is to learn. Really a good implementation of a summoner in a skill-focused game. The only thing that's really annoying me is the targeting system. I'm not sure why they made target selection more or less completely non-functional, but uhh... thanks?

Also, I know every veteran knows this, but for anyone starting off with this game : the default controls on a controller are some absolutely abhorrent poo poo that expects you to use a disgusting claw grip and destroy your hand. Put melee on the button above jump and your ranged attacks on a shoulder button and you'll have a much better time.

Is that really a thing? I’ve been doing great with the default controls and am getting really good with the target selection as of mission 4.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 8, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is really good!! I wish my fuckin panther would stay near the enemies instead of going all over the place but man is it fun! My hand is going to be a useless sack full of bone dust by the time I learn how to play Dante well! I'm very much enjoying it!

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nico owns, V owns, DMC5 owns.

:hmmyes:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is that really a thing? I’ve been doing great with the default controls and am getting really good with the target selection as of mission 4.

It mostly just makes charging your gun easier. It is hard to press A/B/Y while you are holding down X.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My set up is L1 lock on, L2 EXPLODE ARM R1 Exceed and R2 shoot gun and it seems to be working okay so far. I moved attack to square because triangle just feels wrong too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know if it works this way

but if you could have a custom controller set-up for each character that they game auto used when you played as them

it would be smokin' sexy style

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

V's a lot of fun but I felt like the first boss he fought was a bit of a drag; maybe I wasn't used enough to him to really figure it out. His second boss was pretty amazing though!!

EDIT: Also aaaaaah the new red-hot kick Nero move gets has sorely been needed since forever ago and feels so good. The one where you hold down triangle and he launches himself after an enemy is also amazing. Game's so good

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

but if you could have a custom controller set-up for each character that they game auto used when you played as them

Why set up a special program to do that? The game keeps track of how you set up buttons for each playable character.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can you toggle lock on? It seems like that's make the shoulder button gun/ranged button more useful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did anyone else find the secret Kalina rocket launcher in Mission 11?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It does work that way.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody understand how the co-op aspect works? Seems to be just you get paired up with sombody playing as the character you didn't pick for the mission and you are kinda adjacent to each other while you run through the levels and you can kinda watch the other guy fight i guess? except for Nero and V fighting the Knight guy reskins from 4 which i'm sad that maybe my co-op partner just ran though the mission and finished without me since i had no Devil Bringer for that fight so i could have used the extra help :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Last Minute Financial hardship means I cannot play DMCV until next week at the absolute earliest, and now i'm frantically looking around my apartment like a crackhead wondering if I can scrap the metal plates in my microwave for some quick cash

EDIT: TO ALL NEW PLAYERS, REMAP NERO'S GUN TO A SHOULDER TRIGGER, YOU'RE WELCOME

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Last Minute Financial hardship means I cannot play DMCV until next week at the absolute earliest, and now i'm frantically looking around my apartment like a crackhead wondering if I can scrap the metal plates in my microwave for some quick cash

EDIT: TO ALL NEW PLAYERS, REMAP NERO'S GUN TO A SHOULDER TRIGGER, YOU'RE WELCOME

Charge shot doesn't work the same way in 5 as it did in 4. Hold the shoot button for a little bit and Nero loads his gun. Then you have 3 charge shots that last until you shoot them.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Well, the first one fires as soon as you let go of the button, so I still think it's more comfortable on a shoulder button, but for sure it's not as big a deal as it was in 4.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Peewi posted:

Charge shot doesn't work the same way in 5 as it did in 4. Hold the shoot button for a little bit and Nero loads his gun. Then you have 3 charge shots that last until you shoot them.

Face buttons are for face-smashing, Guns have triggers so put it on a trigger (I use R1)! this isn't rocket surgery

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

Can you toggle lock on? It seems like that's make the shoulder button gun/ranged button more useful.

there's never been a toggle so I'm curious if one was added in this game as well. Also curious since I havent looked yet if the deluxe items are showing up for anyone with PSN.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I keep setting gun on trigger buttons but my muscle memory comes in too hard every time and I end up switching it back

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The problem I kept running into with DMC4SE was that if I futzed around with the controls on one character too much it would completely throw off my muscle memory for the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can anyone confirm that DMCV works fine on KBAM? And before you start, I'll brook no guff from controller-fascists telling me I'm playing the game wrong. :colbert: