Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
can someone please explain what the gently caress an AOC is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
A rookie congress person from New York.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
@AOC on Twitter. Also gringos can’t spell/pronounce her name so it’s abbreviation time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Just like with AMLO.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Toronto trauma surgeon target of complaints by gun-rights advocacy group

quote:

Canadian Doctors for Protection from Guns (CDPG) was formed last month to highlight the public health consequences of gun-related injuries and deaths, as well as advocate for a ban on handguns and assault weapons and the passage of Bill C-71. Since then, the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (CCFR), an organization that bills itself as the voice of Canadian gun owners and also lobbies politicians, has created a series of posts on its website and social-media channels that call CDPG unethical and radical. In an online video, CCFR executive director Rod Giltaca said the doctors’ push for a handgun ban will cause numerous children and teens to be inadvertently caught in the crossfire and killed when police come to collect prohibited weapons.

The gun lobby group has also urged its members to lodge complaints against Najma Ahmed, a founding member of the CDPG and trauma surgeon at Toronto’s St. Michael’s Hospital, with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). The group posted step-by-step instructions of how to submit complaints on its website.

The college said it has received roughly 70 complaints since the campaign began Feb. 5.

Dr. Ahmed, who treated several people involved in the mass shooting on Danforth Avenue, said the campaign won’t deter the group from its mandate of reducing gun-related injuries and deaths.

"It’s an underhanded, weak tactic that is intended to intimidate and scare off a physician,” she said. “It won’t work.”

Cowardly wankers

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How dare you say guns are dangerous, by saying that you're putting children at risk of being shot when gun owners become violent at the idea of new gun regulations!

Or even more to the point "our responsible gun owners are going to start shooting kids if you try to take away our murder-toy hobbies"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Gun owners "The vast majority of us are law abiding, rational people"

Also gun owners "We will shoot the police sent to collect our weapons if a law is passed banning them"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Also gun owners: Here is a step-by-step guide for how to type words into a website, my fellow dumb folks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Good luck getting a doctor in trouble for advocating for trauma-informed patient safety.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

How dare you say guns are dangerous, by saying that you're putting children at risk of being shot when gun owners become violent at the idea of new gun regulations!

Or even more to the point "our responsible gun owners are going to start shooting kids if you try to take away our murder-toy hobbies"

No, see, we wouldn't. It would be, you know, those other gun owners. You know the ones.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Deep in yesterdays Manitoba Budget, no more public subsidies for party election expenses. So far since being elected the Mantioba PCs have eliminated the per-vote subsidy and raised donation caps. They are flush with cash while the Mantioba Liberals and NDP are way far behind

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-...e2-fdc845d8ad3d

quote:

WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government is eliminating a public subsidy for political campaign expenses such as advertising, office rent and staff wages.

An omnibus budget bill now before the legislature would do away with a rebate that reimburses provincial parties and candidates 50 per cent of general campaign expenses.

It would maintain a separate 100-per-cent rebate for candidate expenses related specifically to child care and disability-related costs.

In the last election campaign, the Progressive Conservatives and NDP received close to $1 million each in reimbursements, while the Liberals got more than a quarter-million dollars.

Even with the reimbursements, the Liberals and NDP took more than a year to pay off their campaign debts.

Premier Brian Pallister has spoken out against public subsidies for political parties, and in 2016 he eliminated an annual subsidy for political parties that was based on how many votes they had received in the previous two elections.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Also gun owners "We will shoot the police sent to collect our weapons if a law is passed banning them"

Gun owners have always been crazy. The RCMP seizing a bunch of guns without warrants back in Alberta ten years ago didn't help, because it's the loving RCMP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gun owners have always been crazy. The RCMP seizing a bunch of guns without warrants back in Alberta ten years ago didn't help, because it's the loving RCMP.

You're right it didn't help, they should have seized all of them.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Pinterest Mom posted:

the Canadian AOC is Catherine Dorion but y'all don't get to have her sorry

:emptyquote:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

vyelkin posted:

You're right it didn't help, they should have seized all of them.

They should have, but also it should have been someone other than the RCMP seizing them all. Maybe load them all in a dump truck and toss it into an active volcano. RCMP holding onto an armory's worth of firearms isn't much better than them being in the hands of paranoid owners.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Remember that time a gun nut shot up some RCMP officers in New Brunswick and now front line police officers nation wide are armed with C8 Carbines?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mayerthorpe, New Brunswick?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I thought it was in Moncton, but then again I'm going from a very spotty memory. Also, TBH all the Atlantic provinces kinda blend together for me.

e: No, not that time a gun nut shot up a bunch of RCMP officers, the other, more recent one that resulted in everyone getting rifles

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

In an online video, CCFR executive director Rod Giltaca said the doctors’ push for a handgun ban will cause numerous children and teens to be inadvertently caught in the crossfire and killed when police come to collect prohibited weapons.

The gun lobby group has also urged its members to lodge complaints against Najma Ahmed, a founding member of the CDPG and trauma surgeon at Toronto’s St. Michael’s Hospital, with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). The group posted step-by-step instructions of how to submit complaints on its website.

1. "Gun owners might turn criminal and shoot children if hand guns are made illegal," is the greatest gun rights arguthreat in Canadian history.

Are we sure these people aren't actually a satire inspired by gun rights groups? Gun rights arguments are never good, but that is so bad it's surreal. I honestly can't tell.

2. The CPSO instantly dumpsters most complaints about doctors.

To the public, that's probably concerning. You want the CPSO to take complaints about doctors seriously given the power they hold over people. But the complaints system gets abused far more often than it is used to report a legitimate issue and it has to be that way. They've probably a computer algorithm for "Dr. Jerk tortured me by not giving me X", where X opioids. Anti-antibiotics too. Not to mention all the personality disordered people doctors who run into who cannot tolerate being told "no", without lashing out at whomever stood up to them.

These at least will be standard forms and really easy to junk. That'll save some time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If civilian firearm ownership is banned, it shouldn't apply in any way to Indigenous nations imo

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Coxswain Balls posted:

If civilian firearm ownership is banned, it shouldn't apply in any way to Indigenous nations imo

Why

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Nation to nation relationships, they deserve to govern themselves duh.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Coxswain Balls posted:

This would be an amazing gift to every aspiring right-wing grifter and culture warrior in this country.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

Or, more simply put, "the vast majority of us are law abiding, rational people, until you gently caress with us." Like why do you think they have guns to begin with? It's perfectly consistent.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
How do you feel about Huey Newton?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

Or, more simply put, "the vast majority of us are law abiding, rational people, until you gently caress with us." Like why do you think they have guns to begin with? It's perfectly consistent.

Because they're paranoid lunatics itching for an excuse to inflict violence on anything they feel justified? It's perfectly consistent.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

This would be an amazing gift to every aspiring right-wing grifter and culture warrior in this country.
So is a nonbinding house motion condemning racism. These freaks will latch onto anything

xtal posted:

would be murdered in a heartbeat by Canadian gun nuts if they thought they'd get away with it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I mean the Firearms Act already makes exceptions for Indigenous people already. I guess the problem would be making the culture warriors aware of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I like guns. Most of my life I thought they were horrible, until I used them. They are fun.

Isn't most gun crime in Canada done with guns smuggled from the USA anyway? You guys sound like real downers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

xtal posted:

I'm okay with the misconception that Sports was their first album.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Tsyni posted:

I like guns. Most of my life I thought they were horrible, until I used them. They are fun.

Isn't most gun crime in Canada done with guns smuggled from the USA anyway? You guys sound like real downers.

most gun crime is also done with guns lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

I mean the Firearms Act already makes exceptions for Indigenous people already. I guess the problem would be making the culture warriors aware of it.

Do you mean there's an exception for owning guns or getting shot by them?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1087879884725678

gently caress Alberta so much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tsyni posted:

How about this, you tell me why anyone outside of law enforcement (and even then) needs a handgun or a magazine larger than five rounds in Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tsyni posted:

oh well excuse me i never realized guns were fun, wow my whole life has been changed thank you, deadly weapons for everyone now that i know how fun it is to use them

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

xtal posted:

I'm rational and law abiding, until I don't get my own way. Then I turn into a murdering lunatic. I should have lethal weapons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

xtal posted:

Every gun owner is a law-abiding gun owner until they break the law.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

infernal machines posted:

How about this, you tell me why anyone outside of law enforcement (and even then) needs a handgun or a magazine larger than five rounds in Canada.

What if more than 5 mailmen try to come to my house to drop off a letter telling me I need to register my guns or something? What if there's only 2 government workers but I have 4 kids I could put in the crossfire?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Use a larger caliber that penetrates better. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

oh well excuse me i never realized guns were fun, wow my whole life has been changed thank you, deadly weapons for everyone now that i know how fun it is to use them

I rest my case then :keke:

I honestly don't know the stats, but my impression is that there isn't a lot of gun crime in Canada, and that most of it is undertaken with illegal weapons.

Sure, ban handguns.... You can only use them at ranges anyway. Pass a law saying you have to store them at ranges as well and can only use them there. I guess it just seems strange to me that you guys are jerking yourselves off about this when it doesn't seem like it's an issue having a big impact on society.