Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nobody noticed the product placement with Sonic’s shoes?

Granted, it’s not without precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking forward to the scene where Sonic kneels at the football game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looking forward to the scene where Sonic kneels at the football game.

I prefer Dr. Handeggman over Dr. Kaepernik, myself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VJeff posted:

I stand by the opinion that this looks more or less fine.

https://twitter.com/cristinavee/status/1073236177388326913

And that's basically what we got, so whatever.

This one looks way better than the potentially final one that we got for a bunch of reasons. The proportions look better in the style they went with than the leaked image. The leak seems to have given Sonic a neck, which the poster doesn't. The way they did his spines still feels with Sonic but fits the style better than the leak does, where idk it looks almost like frosting? The new one's nose is pointy and gross while that poster gives Sonic a smaller rounder nose. His uh... muzzle(???) looks better in the poster, and we can't see his hands so I'm just gonna assume they have him in gloves there like he should be. But I think the biggest thing is that Sonic's facial features, especially his eyes, are much bigger and take up more of the front of the head on the poster, as opposed to the leaked design where he's just got like 10 miles of forehead for no good reason. The poster also doesn't try to do that horrible thing the new one is doing where it has a white patch between the eyes to make up for the eyes not being one big connected thing anymore. The potentially final design just looks really really rough.

Sonic doesn't need a redesign. Sonic has had a single redesign that I will allow, that was his transition from the old small round Sonic to the taller lanky Sonic back during Sonic Adventure. Both look good in their own way, though I'm so used to the tall one now. The problem is made worse by Detective Pikachu doing a similar thing and pretty much nailing it. You could've easily kept Sonic's normal look and just put realistic fur on him. Or just Roger Rabbit him

edit: I have strong opinions about this cartoon hedgehog

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't get why they'd give him white fur faux-gloves and then not give him faux-socks. His lower half is by far the most offputting part because it just looks like a nude-yet-shoed blue man.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pigbuster posted:

I don't get why they'd give him white fur faux-gloves and then not give him faux-socks. His lower half is by far the most offputting part because it just looks like a nude-yet-shoed blue man.

Those aren't shoes. His feet are just shaped like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why does the image give me a sense of deja vu?

Oh. Oh no.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The big problem with the design is that it doesn't appear to have any purpose behind it. He isn't round and cuddly for cuteness, he isn't lanky and lean for speed, he doesn't have any obvious animal elements, he's just kind of a shapeless blob with slightly too small arms and weird, shapely human legs. His torso, arms and legs don't match or complement each other, at all.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
People still gonna wanna gently caress him tho

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pigbuster posted:

His lower half is by far the most offputting part because it just looks like a nude-yet-shoed blue man.

Sudden Javelin posted:

People still gonna wanna gently caress him tho

They know their market.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think movie sonic should be his new look even in the games

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The White Dragon posted:

i think movie sonic should be his new look even in the games

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game but for sonic hedgehog.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I RECALL reading in my youth this weird rear end sonic hedgehog novelisation where sonic hedgehog went inside a computer no doubt it was extremely badly written but certain meta aspects of the narrative blew my child mind.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I believe the opening scene had Dr. Robotnik summoning Ryu out of Street Fighter (not named, but clearly who was meant) out of the video game world into their reality on a dark stormy night in a muddy field & getting shoryukened and for some reason this scene has lodged itself inside my brain, apparently forever.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

lol but seriously I posted:

I RECALL reading in my youth this weird rear end sonic hedgehog novelisation where sonic hedgehog went inside a computer no doubt it was extremely badly written but certain meta aspects of the narrative blew my child mind.

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_and_the_Silicon_Warriors

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/starsalts/status/1102741149515579392

Significant improvement imo

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1103706811331301376

I guess they had this in the can for a while.

Sonic Racing 5/21

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1103479664612380678

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1103706811331301376

I guess they had this in the can for a while.

Sonic Racing 5/21

Oh wow, did Arin and Jirard actually do a Big the Cat song for the game? Both of them mentioned this trip to Japan quite a while ago.

Arin has been doing singing/rapping with Dan in Starbomb for a while now but I had no idea that Jirard could play drums.

edit: Man some of those replies on twitter are SALTY that they keep doing stuff with Arin when he doesn't like Sonic games.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 7, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1103766006478987265

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'm more fixated on Sonic saying, "Goku's gotta get his boy back"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

See, I could live with this guy.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEPgLkzhwE

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Macaluso posted:

edit: Man some of those replies on twitter are SALTY that they keep doing stuff with Arin when he doesn't like Sonic games.

Sonic Team continuously promoting Arin as a marketing schtick when Arin hates Sonic games (and hasn't really changed his mind on this) is really dumb.

This is irregardless of how good/bad game grumps is/was so please don't turn this into a game grumps derail.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ventana posted:

Sonic Team continuously promoting Arin as a marketing schtick when Arin hates Sonic games (and hasn't really changed his mind on this) is really dumb.

I don't really think it's dumb. I mean, he has one of the biggest channels on youtube and they've played almost all of the big Sonic games on the channel. They talk about him a lot, good or bad. Plus he likes Sonic himself and his design, he just doesn't think the games are good. I think it makes plenty of sense they would use him for promotion on Twitter so much

He did also say he liked Sonic Mania

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hating Sonic games these days just means you're paying attention.

I'm still baffled by how bad forces was

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zelder posted:

Hating Sonic games these days just means you're paying attention.

I'm still baffled by how bad forces was

And it was bad in new fresh and exciting ways. Honestly, this is the most impressive trait of all the 3D Sonic games, they're flawed in different ways.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

VJeff posted:

See, I could live with this guy.

Tyson Heese could salvage 06 if he put his mind to it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
People whine about critics and others going "Sonic had a rough time finding its footing on 3D", but it's just still absolutely the case. It had a stretch of 3 games that was just about there, and then here we are.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just remember Arin complaining about even the old 2D Sonics and how the game punishes you for going fast. It's definitely just a bit of his screen persona, but it felt like a pretty reductive way to trash on the old games, at least in the ways I remember him phrasing some of his complaints.

I don't really care that Sega uses him in marketing mostly because he's still funny / fitting for the part?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/TheSewer56/status/1104019306239746049?s=19

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Arin being so critical about a game's design immediately before proving himself just being so terrible at it in such a fundamental level you legit believe maybe he's got a syndrome that makes people bad at games that should be named after him is just :discourse:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean, Sonic Adventure actually *was* pretty drat good compared to other 3D platformers of the time. It had its fair share of issues but it was a solid first attempt that should’ve been a comfortable starting point to iterate upon.
Instead they just kinda faceplanted
Like everyone shits on it now because of how 3D Sonic turned out but Sonic Adventure was very well received and popular when it first came out. Almost every negative review Sonic Adventure has gotten has been for the crappy port jobs Sega has put out, not the original Dreamcast title.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 8, 2019

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah let's see, which 3D games are "good," not just "OK"

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Unleashed (if you count only the day stages, otherwise...)
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations

aaaand that's it, imo. 4, maybe 5 games and the last one was released eight years ago. C'mon sega, we know you're capable of not making trash fires

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were "good" for their time. I do not think they're good now

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I don't really think it's dumb. I mean, he has one of the biggest channels on youtube and they've played almost all of the big Sonic games on the channel. They talk about him a lot, good or bad. Plus he likes Sonic himself and his design, he just doesn't think the games are good. I think it makes plenty of sense they would use him for promotion on Twitter so much

He did also say he liked Sonic Mania
He did a 180 on Mania and went back to the “but you can’t go fast 100% of the time!” shtick he tends to do.

I don’t really care if they use him for advertising, though.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Xad posted:

Yeah let's see, which 3D games are "good," not just "OK"

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Unleashed (if you count only the day stages, otherwise...)
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations

aaaand that's it, imo. 4, maybe 5 games and the last one was released eight years ago. C'mon sega, we know you're capable of not making trash fires

I am still mad about Time Eater being so poo poo it retroactively made me dislike the good parts of Generations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Looks like a homing shot Sonic!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kikas posted:

I am still mad about Time Eater being so poo poo it retroactively made me dislike the good parts of Generations.

Oh man if you wanna talk about good 3D Sonic final bosses uhhh

Perfect Chaos is cool
Finalhazard is...alright? Controls aren't great but it's a cool fight
Dark Gaia or whatever the Unleashed one is called is boring, although the part when you're just regular Sonic powering up temples is kinda neat
Colors final boss was okay?
Time Eater is awful

gently caress it, let's go through the OK to bad games too

the Doom Alien or whatshisface from Shadow was okay I think?
Big Metal Sonic from Heroes is an okay fight
Solaris from 06 was also...fine, I think? Only played it once :v:
Lost World final boss is whatever
Forces final boss is bad

not exactly an amazing track record lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were "good" for their time. I do not think they're good now

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 are real rough nowadays, 1 in particular. That's not a super huge Mark against them, not every game needs to stand the test of time...

... But I mean, super Mario 64 is still great so I dunno